A Quick Hop and a Step

Markus Wilding

The following message was sent to the Hungarian-Slovakian foreign ministry:

To whom it may concern,

I realize that our relations have never been the best, and it has come to my attention that even during the time of my predecessor Edmund Tresler, not even as much as an embassy was established in Hungary-Slovakia. Today is the day that I will seek to rectify that. I humbly invite a Hungarian representative to Vienna, should that be impossible due to conspiring circumstances, I can head to Hungary-Slovakia myself to discuss issues of mutual importance. I hope that this message is received in good times.

Regards,

Finn Powers, Foreign Minister

Confidential

Hungary-Slovakia is pleased that recent events have not led to our nations becoming bitter and hated enemies, and would be pleased to accept an Alvonian ambassador into Hungary-Slovakia. He or she is invited to set up an embassy in our temporary capital of Debrecen, where our government has relocated to until Budapest has been cleaned up and started to rebuild.

There is also some government officials set up in Bratislava in Slovakia, if you would prefer an embassy in a bit larger of a city. It is your choice.

As you may have been informed, we have last week begun re-admitting a small number of non-military Alvonian foreign nationals into Hungary-Slovakia, with plans to further increase that amount in a few weeks.

If your government is willing to host a Hungary-Slovakia ambassador, we would be pleased to appoint one to send to Alvonia in a few short days.

Edited by Euphaia

Theodor Wentrcek has been appointed to Bratislava, once of course the embassy has been constructed. A similar embassy can also be constructed in Vienna for a Hungary-Slovakia ambassador.

In addition, we'd prefer to see the restriction on military personnel lifted so that Wehrmacht servicemen and women can visit their families in Burgenland, but understands if that isn't possible right now. To aid in reconstruction efforts, Alvonia is willing to send 20 million Reichsmarks in aid to Hungary-Slovakia, specifically for the purpose of rebuilding and restoring the Burgenland.

• 2 weeks later...

Finn stood to shake Ambassador Vadas' hand, while at the same time dismissing his own two guards with a nod of the head. "Welcome to Vienna, and to the Palace, Ambassador. I trust your trip went well?" After listening to his response, Finn offered the ambassador a choice of alcohol. Whether he accepted or not, Finn poured out a shot of whiskey for himself and left one other glass empty. "So," Finn said in Hungarian after the exchange of spirits, "I suppose you're wondering why we asked you here today. I realize we've had our differences in the past, and I'm really hoping we can just put all that behind us today and hammer out some real and lasting agreements that work for both of us. Does that sound about right with your government, Ambassador Vadas?"

"Certainly. Hungary-Slovakia is always open to agreements that would improve our economy and trade."

*Bandur would then pause to pour himself a small glass of scotch and to take a sip of it,*

"Would that be the kind Of agreements Alvonia is interested in as well?"

"We're off to a good start already, then." Finn said as he finished his drink. "Look, I don't believe that Hungary-Slovakia or Alvonia ever intended, or wanted, conflict. From my understanding, all of our issues and differences in the past come down to both of us having messed in places we probably shouldn't have. Your government and nation are filled with people that I have the utmost respect for, and I'm hoping we can reflect that with a non-aggression pact and an economic treaty. That said, I'm also offering 20 million Reichsmarks in aid to your nation. We have people that were affected by Milan's nuclear lunacy, and they didn't move from the Burgenland. Stop me if you disagree with anything I'm saying."

"As Hungary-Slovakia is not an aggressive nation, no Non Aggression Pact is really necessary. We only act in defense; when we or our allies are threatened or attacked, or when we need to act in defense or protection against imperialism.

You have Hungary-Slovakia's assurance that so long as it does not participate in any of the aforementioned activities, Alvonia need not be concerned about a war with Hungary-Slovakia.

We do greatly appreciate Alvonia's generous aid, and we will be sure to earmark it for rebuilding in Burgenland."

Finn patiently listened to the Hungarian, once he was done he responded, "Despite what you and your government might think, Alvonia isn't aggressive either. In our history, we have fought only to protect those in need. We fought in Brandenburg to free our German siblings, we did our damn best to stop you and your friends from ripping Poland away from us, and what we're doing in Snow Haven is making sure our French allies aren't being robbed under their noses. I don't want to see more families ripped apart, by war or otherwise, and that's exactly what happened in Poland and what's happening now in Snow Haven."

"Now, you wanna talk about imperialism, I can easily tell you that Alvonia doesn't have any designs on other nations. You're going to see revanchism because - and I'm not saying this to tick you off, it's the Gods-honest truth - you and your allies stole land from us. We still have Wehrmacht servicemembers that hail from Poland, the parts that your allies have control of now. They keep writing to the Palace, demanding that we start a war to take back those lands. They keep forgetting that the Bloc outnumbers us by, I dunno, a million men or something?"

"Anyway, I'm telling you this because you and I both know that Director Wilding isn't going to be around forever. The next guy that takes up the office of Director might not be so willing to keep those elements quiet. Again, I'm not saying this to threaten you or scare you, it's the truth and it's a reality we have to face. I'm here to make sure that ten or twenty years from now we're not looking back at this meeting and hoping we'd done something different. Still sure you don't want to sign a formal non-aggression pact? If not, we can move on to economics."

"You surely realize, that while the Snowhaven dispute remains, it simply is an impossibility for our nation to guarantee relations between our two nations can stay neutral. Without being able to make such a guarantee, signing a Non Aggression Pact is quite simply out of our reach to sign at the present time.

We do appreciate your invitation and hospitality, however. "

*the ambassador receives word of the mass Alvonian military mobilization into Snowhaven, and the "ultra-nationalist" McCarthyist witch hunt taking place now in former Snowhaven. After the phone call, the ambassador looks back at the Alvonian diplomat.

"Sir, you must be joking. You ask Hungary-Slovakia for a Non-Aggression Pact, and then turn around and pull a stunt like this?

It should go without saying, but this meeting is over."

*The ambassador stands up from his seat and immediately leaves the building, getting into his government limo, and it drives off back towards Hungary-Slovakia.*

• 3 weeks later...

Upon Minister Galdi's arrival in Vienna, he would be directed by armored motorcade to Schönbrunn Palace and then directly to Director Wilding's office. "Welcome to Vienna, Minister Galdi," Wilding said as he entered, "Please, come in and have a seat. Is there anything I can get for you?"

*Minister Galdi would take a seat.*

"Thank you, Director Wilding.  Some hot coffee, if you have a fresh batch available, would do fine."

*After taking the coffee that would be handed to him, Galdi would take a  moment to have a sip before continuing.*

"I must be frank with you, Director:  Hungary-Slovakia's populace is weary of constant wars and rumors of wars between our two nations.  They are weary of war and wary of blocs.  To not work out a Non-Aggression Pact of some sort with Alvonia, would most likely lead to more protests, and would likely cost Prime Minister Beres, and myself, our positions.  

While it is ultimately up to Alvonia to decide what border policy they choose to enforce, I would be remiss in my duty as a Foreign Minister if I did not ask one finally time that Alvonia reconsider their current poicy.  As Alvonia's neighbor, Hungary-Slovakia feels that your new border policy has been directed toward our nation.  I assure you, it is against Hungary-Slovakian law for any of our citizens to illegally enter into or trespass into Alvonia.  To my knowledge, it has never happened.  But in any case, you must understand that Hungary-Slovakia must protect the lives of it's citizens, just as Alvonia has to protect the lives if it's own citizens.

I bring this up, as as it stands, it is the only issue that makes the Hungary-Slovakian government a bit hesitant in signing a NAP with Alvonia."

After a quick gesture, Minister Galdi would be brought a fresh cup of hot coffee, along with any sugar or cream if he so desired.

"You won't hear me disagreeing that we're weary. It's happened on both sides of the border, still getting emails and letters from the Burgenland."

"I cannot make any promises, Minister, but I can say that it will be looked into. Again, no promises. That being said, and I believe Herr Powers brought this up with your diplomat, but we would like to see the restrictions on Alvonian access to the Burgenland at least loosened. I don't ask that everyone be allowed over, but again there are still many Alvonians with families there." Wilding looked the Hungarian in the eye as he finished this sentence.

"It seems we both have roadblocks to agreements here. Perhaps we can work around them."