Undisclosed Prizes

Schad

The problem: because the prize structure for the round is known before kickoff, experienced players are able to plan their builds and tactics around them. Consequently, most of the prizes are won by a small group of said individuals round after round. Note that this isn't a self-interested complaint...few if any groups have had more success winning prizes in recent rounds as Sengoku and those we've worked with. 

A (partial) solution: leave one or two of the round prizes undisclosed for most of the round, announced on the prizes page perhaps ~3 days from reset. The award categories would be of the typical sort that reward good building/warring rather than anything gimmicky, but withholding their exact nature until late might result in somewhat more varied approaches to building, giving others a fighting chance (or making the end of round melee a bit more entertaining, at least). 

Or, it might make for a dreadfully boring round as everyone keeps their powder dry until the last possible moment to be cash-flush when the prize(s) are announced. Who knows!

You guys have had it a bit easy, admittedly. It has also taken some time for a lot of TE to recognise you for what you are. You lie to people, you trick people, and you accuse others of flag running, using it as an excuse to pile on while blatantly flag running yourself. And you run AAs out of the game.

You arent interested in educating the population of TE(not a lot left), you would rather keep all your info and secrets to yourself, so as to prevent others from learning and possibly eclipsing you.

I dont predict it going so swimmingly for you from now on. Changes or no changes.

One thing we don't do is pad our causality totals to win a prize.

Casualty numbers, as a measure of sucess and a prize winning acheivment, are a poor measure indeed, particularly casualties taken.

If one can win a prize by taking casualties, then the game quality of interaction suffers, as combat planning is made a faroff second to poliical manuevering and alliance hopping.

Damage is a much better measure: yet even that becomes an incomplete measure as long as alliance hopping occurs.[ based on silly grudges and ego clashes, as well as prize runing]]

Create a penalty for leaving an alliance after a set[ 10?] number of days : provide some financial incentive for not changing alllaince, and of course, intra alliance combat would be prohibited.

Perhaps a hidden prize might add to the needed stability, rather than the current chaos.

war well

Edited by ARCHEIN

Casualty numbers, as a measure of sucess and a prize winning acheivment, are a poor measure indeed, particularly casualties taken.

If one can win a prize by taking casualties, then the game quality of interaction suffers, as combat planning is made a faroff second to poliical manuevering and alliance hopping.

Damage is a much better measure: yet even that becomes an incomplete measure as long as alliance hopping occurs.[ based on silly grudges and ego clashes, as well as prize runing]]

Create a penalty for leaving an alliance after a set[ 10?] number of days : provide some financial incentive for not changing alllaince, and of course, intra alliance combat would be prohibited.

Perhaps a hidden prize might add to the needed stability, rather than the current chaos.

war well

I dont get your point on Alliance hopping. Can u expand on that?

Hidden prize would result in what Schad described in last line IMO.

You realise that I was boosting attacking casualties mainly, which is what led to my deduction? I had more then, than I currently have, and was on route to break the Attacking Casualties Record. I got to #1 Casualties by fighting 6 War Doves and 5 in our 2nd war. I was bored at 5500 infra with 100 mil in the bank. What is a dude to do?

But yes, I agree that dropping GCs and Barracks when it suits me is a little dumb. And I suggested the Casualty Title be removed.

Edit: I still think casualties can be a factor for prizes, just not a solo prize.

Edited by StevieG

You guys have had it a bit easy, admittedly. It has also taken some time for a lot of TE to recognise you for what you are. You lie to people, you trick people, and you accuse others of flag running, using it as an excuse to pile on while blatantly flag running yourself. And you run AAs out of the game.

You arent interested in educating the population of TE(not a lot left), you would rather keep all your info and secrets to yourself, so as to prevent others from learning and possibly eclipsing you.

I dont predict it going so swimmingly for you from now on. Changes or no changes.

This is a ridiculous set of personal attacks from someone who admitted to getting nations to stagger and rogue people last round cause it was "unfair" to get hit when collecting.

There is zero validity to it, no one has had an alliance run out of the game from us, and we have brought in ~40 new players last 2 rounds.  They were guided up, and in round 30 I spent countless hours training people and getting them all to where people kept accusing them all of having been unfair amount of veterans.

Posts like this, in a helpful suggestion area are exactly why people don't like TE -- you are just personally attacking with garage comments with zero factual truth.

Edited by hartfw

Now Stevie given your past this is the last thing I would expect to see you post.

That said I understand where Schad is coming from.

This is the most Stevie thing ever written. 

I disagree with this suggestion. It's nice knowing what exactly I'll be winning before the round starts. As for the casualty award, I find it unnecessary... it's too easy to get casualties if you know what you're doing. 

I won't get involved in the nonsense above, but I think some "surprise" prizes could be interesting. Honestly, anything that forces people to do things differently whether on an individual or alliance level is a good thing. We should keep tweaking and changing if for no other reason than to keep things fresh and exciting. 

That said, I completely disagree with the idea that we should end the casualty prize/award (they are one in the same to me). I don't play for prizes, and honestly, playing to win a casualty crown is a heck of a lot harder imo than playing to win a flag--at least up to this point. The records are there and I don't keep them individually (maybe I should?), but more people have won multiple flags than people who have won multiple casualty crowns. The "gaming" of casualties isn't great, but it is far better than round wide gaming and political conspiracies to be the highest NS nation. 

I won't get involved in the nonsense above, but I think some "surprise" prizes could be interesting. Honestly, anything that forces people to do things differently whether on an individual or alliance level is a good thing. We should keep tweaking and changing if for no other reason than to keep things fresh and exciting. 

That said, I completely disagree with the idea that we should end the casualty prize/award (they are one in the same to me). I don't play for prizes, and honestly, playing to win a casualty crown is a heck of a lot harder imo than playing to win a flag--at least up to this point. The records are there and I don't keep them individually (maybe I should?), but more people have won multiple flags than people who have won multiple casualty crowns. The "gaming" of casualties isn't great, but it is far better than round wide gaming and political conspiracies to be the highest NS nation. 

People have won multiple flags because that has always been the goal. There are many games that can be played if winning the casualty crown multiple times was the end game objective. 

I completely disagree with the idea that we should end the casualty prize/award (they are one in the same to me). I don't play for prizes, and honestly, playing to win a casualty crown is a heck of a lot harder imo than playing to win a flag--at least up to this point.

Given what happened this round, it would not at all be hard for me to stay within the legality of the rules, and game casualties to a far greater extent than I did this round. (ofc I gamed casualties at the end. Dropping GCs and Barracks will wreck 90% of your deploy)

I dont think it is in the "spirit" of what a casualty award should be. I do think that casualties as a second qualifier for an AA prize or something can be good.

You can always try to create a prize which mixes building and warring, e.g. give a nation's score to be (NS_Destroyed + End_of_round_NS)/50000.

I'm indifferent to Schad's suggestion.

People have won multiple flags because that has always been the goal. There are many games that can be played if winning the casualty crown multiple times was the end game objective. 

It wouldn't be much different than winning a NS flag. Just a fact of life. 

Given what happened this round, it would not at all be hard for me to stay within the legality of the rules, and game casualties to a far greater extent than I did this round. (ofc I gamed casualties at the end. Dropping GCs and Barracks will wreck 90% of your deploy)

I dont think it is in the "spirit" of what a casualty award should be. I do think that casualties as a second qualifier for an AA prize or something can be good.

Sure, it can be gamed, but if we were going to totally eliminate gaming to win flags or crowns we wouldn't have a game. Idk how to fix it. Maybe you remove the prizes for something like a casualty crown and keep it for NS. I really don't know. My hope is always that 1) people regulate each other (flag busting) or 2) everyone does it to the point were things are relatively even. 

Idk. 

How about a random generator which chooses from 15-20 prizes?  They could be, but are not limited too, $10M cash, 500 Tech, $10 donation, $20 donation, etc.  You could also come up with a random generator for the requirements, though they would have to be very specific in case there were ties.  Last thing we want is twenty people to all qualify for the same prize.