An open letter to CubaQuerida

The Zigur

Actually if you look at the "golden era of CN", the number of nations declined after every single major war.  So to say that "war is good for the game" just by itself is a lie.

FYI: DBDC is in fact not good for the game at all, but then they are also a symptom, not the disease.  More on that later.

No, what is/was "good for the game" is all the effort and activity that is required to building up an alliance.  Those alliances that sit back and rest of their reputation and claim to be too hip to recruit or only want "veteran players" slowly but surely die out.  Too many alliance do just that.

As mentioned above, they are a symptom of very bad things going on the within the game community, so no they aren't good for CN at all, unless you count events like the war with RIA to be "good for CN" because they briefly increase activity within any alliance that is attacked by DBDC.

Correct for the most part.

We can debate whether the increase in the number of wonders helps/hurts the game, mostly because I think you are discounting the affect it has on player retention (long time players have something to strive for or additional options other than the accumulation of wealth, etc.), but ultimately DBDC wouldn't exist if Planet Bob were more active--it wouldn't need to, because those who accumulated there would be busy within separate alliances and probably fighting each other in global wars.  

They are part of the problem however in that DBDC accelerates the loss of long time players, thus hurt player retention, and as you point out, there is now effectively a glass ceiling in place at the #250 nation level, which can only be safely passed if you ally yourself directly or indirectly to DBDC.  They are not by far the biggest problems with CN however.  By far we have much more serious issues down at bottom 1,000 nations with player retention and nothing really that DBDC is  doing right now affects that one wit.

Methrage, unless you have a dollar amount that can be paid to Admin that will ensure I can pile on 30,000 tech tomorrow night, then no, it's not as simple as "you need to build faster/better" in order to match them or beat them.

Nice speech, but...

1. Since your alliance came on the scene, the number of nations at all levels continues to decline.  It does nothing to promote player retention, save for a few top end heavy hitters who are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

2. Effectively what you are saying is that you reserve the right to pick a side based on your personal prejudices regarding "fairness" not what is actually fair, nor what is actually best for the flow of the game, which has seen beat downs motivate people to do better (present company included, Valhalla is a better alliance for the beating it took in Karma, I was a better CN leader after my experiences in the Unjust War) and created some very dramatic moments in CN history.  The reality is that you think you are helping, but you are not.

3. Your alliance singles out people it doesn't like and attacks them.  If it can't attack them in game, it mocks them in offensive Youtube videos.  Sometimes it does both.  It threatens to attack people who disagree with you in the OOC Suggestion Box part of the forums, and sits on that part of the forums like a vulture, making sure to turn any suggestion that might go against you in a flame war slag that will eventually be ignored.  It raids nations multiple times for the sin of staying in range.  You say that you see no problem with those voicing opinions contrary to DBDC's "principles and values" (as if what you are doing could actually be guided by such a thing), but the evidence suggests something completely different.

Simply put, you are not what you pretend to be.

So from the gist of things you are still hurting over DBDC hitting Valhalla? I mean I can't pretend to know what's in your post because I really didn't get past the first sentence, DBDC may or may not be the answer I won't pretend to know the answer either. But here is something that I do know about DBDC love them or hate them they get people active even if it is just for a short while they bring some people back into the game. 

Edited by Alexio15

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from the gist of things you are still hurting over DBDC hitting Valhalla? I mean I can't pretend to know what's in your post because I really didn't get past the first sentence 

You should read it, you missed the 'gist' by a mile by making it up ... 

Good post, Hal .. 

FYI: DBDC is in fact not good for the game at all, but then they are also a symptom, not the disease.  More on that later.

And you're just a perfect little angel then aren't you?

There just aren't very many left willing to fight for what's right these days.

Give me some time please :D

So from the gist of things you are still hurting over DBDC hitting Valhalla? I mean I can't pretend to know what's in your post because I really didn't get past the first sentence, DBDC may or may not be the answer I won't pretend to know the answer either. But here is something that I do know about DBDC love them or hate them they get people active even if it is just for a short while they bring some people back into the game. 

If that's all you got, then you got nothing out of it.  That's not on me.

As for getting people "back to the game", I don't see it and the numbers prove me correct.  Whoever they might bring back, the net is a loss.

All that said, would deleting DBDC tomorrow fix everything wrong with the game?  Not even close.  There is much work to be done in the area of retention for bottom 1/4 of nations.

And you're just a perfect little angel then aren't you?

Tech farms are better seen, not heard.  People who make up stories about other people based on their own personal failings are best not heard or seen. 

Edited by ChairmanHal

I think if you're trying to define DBDC as good or bad, you're going to have an answer that suits your own purposes.  It doesn't matter how you see us, what matters is that we are here, and we are very real and our impacts can be felt in virtually every sphere if we need them to.  Just because we have limited interactions with the main CN body doesn't stop us from actively participating in inter-alliance politics and it doesn't shield us from becoming a target down the road.  It's not a matter of if we are doing it the "correct" way, because there is no correct way.  

The "correct" way led to some of the most unfair global wars we have ever seen, so much so that it inspired me to take the mantle and swear that I would never have to fight friends again for someone else's cause.  While it's true that DBDC does politics different than any alliance out there can, it's still a very real and effective tool and can be dealt with either with opposition (and you've seen how that ends) or with acknowledgement, respect and candor.  We strive to align ourselves with the people we trust most, as does any reputable alliance.  

I see nothing wrong with those voicing opinions contrary to DBDC's principles or values, but to question DBDC's right to exist or right to function a certain way is bordering on the absurd.  Not only do you lose the respect of the main community, but you alienate yourself from logic and aren't bringing anything of substance to the discussion.  The status quo is evolving, talk to any major alliance leader and you'll notice that the way things have always been done is ancient history now, be it on a individual nation-based level, alliance-level or even at inter-alliance/coalition levels.

It's been said that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.  I would argue that those that ignore the present are doomed to be defeated by it.

Don't take my comments to mean I think DBDC is bad, I was saying to many alliances being pushovers when dealing with aggression in general is what's bad for the game. Maybe I should of used the terms defenders and attackers, rather than good and bad. For any wars to escalate you need people willing to attack and people willing to defend themselves. Its many years between major wars because most major alliances do everything they can to avoid war when dealing with an attack or raid. Personally I like that Doombirds breaks from the standard mold and members are powerful enough to do what they want.

DBDC I think is a good alliance at your core despite being more aggressive than most alliances, so you guys should continue to foster an image of being a good alliance overall. Doing what's right for the pink team in regards to the senate is important for this, so its good you got things under control with that.

Edited by Methrage

If that's all you got, then you got nothing out of it.  That's not on me.

As for getting people "back to the game", I don't see it and the numbers prove me correct.  Whoever they might bring back, the net is a loss.

All that said, would deleting DBDC tomorrow fix everything wrong with the game?  Not even close.  There is much work to be done in the area of retention for bottom 1/4 of nations.

Tech farms are better seen, not heard.  People who make up stories about other people based on their own personal failings are best not heard or seen. 

Instead of the constant cries of outrage.  Go to your room and think about some things that would make this game more appealing to newer nations and SUGGEST them rather then rant on about the same crap over and over again.  I think newer nations are less inclined to join and stick with the game because of all the negativity they see on the owf.  All you see is people saying you will never catch this person or they are untouchable and that just deters people from joining the game.

So, maybe you are the problem with this game losing and maintaining members?

Waits for 3 page response to not read any of it ;)

What makes you think that long time players are leaving because of DBDC? I've seen nothing to indicate that.

Agreed.  In fact, I'm the opposit example.  I was planning on leaving until I had the chance to join DBDC.  Six years of doing the same thing every year over and over were enough.  There are better places to spend my free time.  Then I hooked up with DBDC and I'm more interested than I have been for years. 

This has gone on five pages and still no one notes that the OP of the "open letter" thread has a picture of a sealed letter at the top of it? You all disappoint me.

Agreed.  In fact, I'm the opposit example.  I was planning on leaving until I had the chance to join DBDC.  Six years of doing the same thing every year over and over were enough.  There are better places to spend my free time.  Then I hooked up with DBDC and I'm more interested than I have been for years. 

And that's one reason why DBDC isn't the biggest, only or even the most serious problem of CN. It's just another way of playing the game and while holding a monopoly does limit things up top, it isn't a permanent state of being and those members that enjoy their alliance, it keeps them in the game, too.

Overcoming DBDC is a feasible challenge for those that really want to. It's also simple and safe to just sign an agreement with them and stop caring about anyone else. Maybe one day, DBDC members will get bored of their alliance (again?) and do something different. Maybe DBDC will run deathmatches between themselves to stave off boredom if targets disappear.

In any case, without tech-sellers, economies falls apart. In that sense, alliances like Doom Squad, or the DT Probe AA are the future. Alliance Colonialism could take off as the number of sellers subsides due to a lack of new nations and abysmal low-tier retention. New wonders may placate the elderly, but to the new, they're anathema.

The Alternian Empire overcame structural weaknesses and fragility early in life by signing a tech exclusivity contract. Securing favourable tech pricing encouraged selling to specific buyers and while our buyers paid more, the profits kept them selling regularly and reliably. We sustained an average slot usage between 55 and 70% over a period of ~10 months despite poor internal activity. The level only declined from early this year due to unrelated factors, but if implemented by any alliance with active gov, it was a successful model worth emulating.

Ultimately though, the collapse of the minnows will force supplication to higher powers (ooc: donation dependence) and those that refuse to do so will be swept away on a tide of Cash Money.

(OOC: OP was/is just annoyed that people aren't doing things the way he wants and wishes the world obeyed his ludicrous dogma so posting in here makes his grievances seem relevant or even sensible. They aren't.)

Edited by RevolutionaryRebel