Discussion: Make GM Hall A No Discussion Thread

Uberstein

Right now it's impossible to find rulings, and everyone and their mother is posting long arguments, or useless "witty" remarks, or alarmist statements. It's absurd.

I propose that two rules be implemented, based off of how rules are implemented.
1. GM's Hall is a no discussion thread, where only the involved parties post their case and, if requested by a GM, clarification of their case. Then a clear ruling should be posted, and that is the end of it. Requests for spy rolls also go in the hall.

2. Should a disagreement with the ruling happen, the disagreeing party starts a discussion thread on a specific ruling. After a minimum of two weeks, which would give time for even the least active players to see the thread, a poll would be held on the ruling. Only a 75% community majority would null the ruling.

Of course we could just scream "no we don't need more rules" and continue the circus that is the current GM's Hall.

We can't enforce the "no discussion" policy in the thread. We can only do it in the vote threads because you get your vote nullified, and even then lots of people still post.

It's enforceable with a "Your nation is removed from the RP if you violate this rule" rule. :P

EDIT:

But seriously? We don't have any real enforcement method for any of the rules. Why does anybody follow the rules at all? Why make rules when we can't actually enforce them with a gun? Yet most people seem happy to vote in rules and collectively follow them. I'd like to think that if my proposal got passed, that we as a community would actually follow it.

Edited by Uberstein

It's enforceable with a "Your nation is removed from the RP if you violate this rule" rule. :P

EDIT:
But seriously? We don't have any real enforcement method for any of the rules. Why does anybody follow the rules at all? Why make rules when we can't actually enforce them with a gun? Yet most people seem happy to vote in rules and collectively follow them. I'd like to think that if my proposal got passed, that we as a community would actually follow it.

I will support it if we move the minimum time from 2 weeks down to 1 week. Just make it a ballot option and we'll see what happens.

If locating rulings in the GM thread is problematic, could a possible solution be to ask the GM(s) post each ruling in detail and a link in the OP of the thread?

As for making the GM thread a non-discussion thread, wouldn't the discussions/arguing/absurdity simply migrate into the OOC thread?

Sorry I wasn't able to present a solution earlier, its a little tricky. What I for see happening with point 2 is many of the rulings being challenged by the "losing" party, and the fact that 2 weeks may be a long time. That would bog down the RP being questioned, and draw out all kinds of things in fast paced stuff like war and claims, though just objections to peoples tech could stand the two weeks.

I would think the time Li.it for the runoff vote would be better served being something like 3-5 days, and if a certain percentage of players with nations don't way in by then, the ruling sticks regardless, but if a substantial number overturn it, it gets overturned. I'm just spitballing here, I do like your proposal and sentiment though, Uberstein.