Anyone up for a donation drive?

bros

Basically, the school year is starting in America soonish (In the warmer parts of the country, it is starting in August and other parts, it is going to start in September).

Many schools service low-income students whose parents do not have the necessary money to pay for back-to-school supplies (folders, notebooks, etc.).

And in the US, most teachers receive no money to spend on their classroom, making all of this cost come out of their own pockets, or they can turn to charities like [url=http://www.donorschoose.org/]DonorsChoose[/url], a charity which allows teachers to put up projects (The teachers must cost them out and state where they are purchasing the products from before it is approved to appear on the site) for things that they need.

Also, in the US, because of tax codes, teachers are only allowed to deduct $250 of expenses that they spend on their classroom on their taxes, which harms members of an already low-paid profession.

So, what do you guys think about doing a month long donation drive where we help people get back-to-school supplies for their classrooms (Focusing on high poverty areas, of course)?

A sampling of projects:

MGTKpMc.jpg

Sadly our tax dollars go to ways to kill more people overseas than to our educators. This is a great site and if I had any money i'd support.

If people find out I am funding back to school supplies, kids everywhere will hate my guts.

Find me an aid package that includes paper airplanes and spitballs so I can save face.  :P

Sad but true. I remember when I used to be so happy we didn't have enough books so we wouldn't have to read about ____ functions. 
Edited by Rotavele

Sadly our tax dollars go to ways to kill more people overseas than to our educators. This is a great site and if I had any money i'd support.

Sad but true. I remember when I used to be so happy we didn't have enough books so we wouldn't have to read about ____ functions. 

Most of these are asking for pencils/paper/notebooks, occasionally textbooks/workbooks for states where teacher's rights have been so eroded that districts no longer pay for classroom textbooks and workbooks.

Most of these are asking for pencils/paper/notebooks, occasionally textbooks/workbooks for states where teacher's rights have been so eroded that districts no longer pay for classroom textbooks and workbooks.

Lucky ass kids. When I was going to school people would never give me a piece of paper or a pencil if mine broke or I was out of paper/pencil. Asking the teacher would always get you a no. Although I'd prefer kids these days do have extra luxuries :P

Lucky ass kids. When I was going to school people would never give me a piece of paper or a pencil if mine broke or I was out of paper/pencil. Asking the teacher would always get you a no. Although I'd prefer kids these days do have extra luxuries :P

:P

I'll probably set up a page tonight and then i'll whip up a post and everyone can circulate it around. Even if we get $100 total that'll help at least one classroom/around 20 people.

Edited by bros2

To start, I found a few deserving looking projects from around the US.

How does a target of $700 sound?

I picked schools in the following locations:

Chicago, IL

Detroit, MI

Durant, MS

Newark, NJ

Jacksonville, NC

Concord, NC

They all need school supplies.

As I say with all of these, an international charity, or charity for people in a poor country, would have a wider appeal.  I can see a lot of Europeans not feeling inclined to give to a US charity.

The only people who vehemently oppose that are certain MK members who always act contrarian to anything I attempt to accomplish, along with certain individuals outside the US who just have horrible views on everything.

(also, one for an international charity is going to be coming in January. I figured a quick one with a low goal would be good to run for a month or so to help impoverished children & schools - the mindset certain individuals have expressed like "we shouldn't donate because then it will tell these school districts/governments/politicians that it is all right to not give teachers money for supplies" is BS and they know it)

Edited by bros2

Not that I'm plugging Amazon but they have a "smile.amazon dot com" site now where they will give a portion of your purchase to a non-profit that you select. I'm sure most of us will go broke before the donated amount impacts but still a good gesture. I'll rep from some planet bob impact from donors choose as well.  thanks for info.

spd

Edited by sanpedrodave

Not that I'm plugging Amazon but they have a "smile.amazon dot com" site now where they will give a portion of your purchase to a non-profit that you select. I'm sure most of us will go broke before the donated amount impacts but still a good gesture. I'll rep from some planet bob impact from donors choose as well.  thanks for info.

spd

Amazon Smile gives 0.5% of the price of your amazon purchase to the charity you choose from their list.

When you donate to charity, the money you donate is tax-deductible.