Mogar

To: The Kingdom of Sparta Government

Greetings,

As I am currently in Europe visiting the Imperiums friends in France and Snow Haven, I feel I should take the opportunity to reach out to those surrounding my allies in order to discuss a future that ensure the safety of my European allies, as The Kingdom of Sparta is a growing power in the Mediterranean, you made an obvious choice to reach out to in order to properly maintain the security of our economic and military interests in the region. If Kingdom of Sparta shares my vision of a prosperous Europe that maintains the sovereignty and neutrality of Snow Haven, and and wishes to meet with me, send and I shall be there within the hour.

Signed,

-Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Hoshiko, Sovereign of Japan and Joseon Daughter of Amaterasu, Prophet of Takamagahara, Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Sacred Treasure.

A message on ale stained paper was returned, with the following message:

Lassie,

If you want to come to Sparta to talk that's fine.  That said Sparta does not view neutrality or sovereignty of any state inviolable.  We don't really give that much thought to Snow Haven.  If its stays out of our business we stay out of its, unless it wants to hire us to fight.  We don't really have a big overarching doctrine but rather like to judge on action.

King Alexander of Sparta, Bringer of Awesomeness and Kick Assery

While the condition of the reply was surprising to Osamu, Kazuko was not surprised, having seen the way the Spartans had interacted with others already, she had expected them to be similar to the Sparta of historical sense. Thankfully she had no troubles with that, Sparta had women's rights 2000 years before the rest of the world had even considered the idea, and while the Global Freedoms Report was unable to be complied for a new nation she decided she was experience it firsthand and draw her own conclusions.

Your Highness,

Although our nations apparently have many differences, I am at heart a warrior, and due to this I am intrigued enough by your culture that I would enjoy to visit your nation personally and have a conversation with you face to face, I will be arriving tomorrow.

-Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Hoshiko, Sovereign of Japan and Joseon Daughter of Amaterasu, Prophet of Takamagahara, Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Sacred Treasure.

As stated in her reply she would arrive the next afternoon with an attachment of two hand maidens and two bodyguards, the Sword of Axum as always upon her side in traditional garb.

The Spartans would allow the arrival of the Japanese Empress to meet with the King of Sparta.  Alexander sat on the throne of Ares looking down at her when she entered.  Bored, he wore a leather tunic and a red cape, a large sword at his side.  "I see you have come from far to talk to us, how can I be of service?"

"I am happy to be in your great nation." She said, her own katana, The Sword of Axum, upon her side, wearing a dark red kimono, golden chrysanthemums scattered across the bottom. she bowed respectfully as customs dictated "I see we at least share the same belief rulers should be able to use a weapon, and not just order them to be used." she said, glancing at his own sword. "The Imperium has been focused internally upon recovery efforts and we have neglected our foreign affairs in my opinion, I am interested in maintaining cordial relations with all upon this planet. Skipping the flowery language, According to intelligence reports, Sparta has moved into the Indian Ocean,  The Imperium would be interested in a working relationship with Sparta to maintain the security of the Indian Ocean, as the route from the Malacca to the Suez is of vital importance to the economic future of my nation."

"The Japanese Archipelago is rather big as are your other holding in the Pacific, and your navy, not so much.  Especially compared to Novak, Persia, and Babylon, the naval players who have a coastline of note.   In candid and practical terms what would Japan's view of such a security arrangement what would your role in such an arrangement be?  

Sparta's philosophy on allies is we choose those who we see as us being joint net beneficiaries.  We don't wish to be in the business of defending others who do not have the resources to come to Sparta's own defense in a significant manner.  This is nothing against any one state, but a matter of practical business.  Though I am willing to hear your case as to why this may not be true."

"I was not aware naval power was the only measure of power and defense. The Imperium has always maintained a policy of collaboration with those with similar interests as us, as we have shown with our collaboration between the Pacific Rim powers to maintain a secure Ocean, we have similar interests in the Indian and the Mediterranean to maintain secure waters that will not harm our economic interests. The Imperium brings more than its own navy to the table for the defense of another ally. Regardless, I did not approach you for a military treaty off the bat, as I believe it makes little sense to do so at the start of any relationship, with rather limited exceptions. I was more interested in an economic treaty as well as sharing intelligence, as your nation apparently seems to be interested in reaching deep into the Indian Ocean."