Grand Council of the African League

Centurius

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Colonel Aondi had called an emergency meeting of the Grand Council after receiving word that a standoff was occurring in the Mediterranean between Republican and Romanian fleets. She waited only until delegates from the other African nations had arrived, before speaking quickly, "Friends, the Republic finds itself facing threat from Romania. While we will attempt all diplomatic measures to avoid conflict, in light of their alliance with Carthage," she dipped her head to the Carthaginian representative, "we will not be ceding control of our military bases, or withdrawing our interests from the region, as Romania has demanded. While we understand that Carthage cannot take part in any action that occurs, due to their alliance with Romania, we would appreciate if you placed diplomatic pressures on your ally to stand down. Additionally, should it come to it, the Republic wishes to confirm that the League will honours its obligation and defend us should Romania attack."

The Colonel turned a flat gaze to the Carthaginian representative, "I fail to see how the potential of Romanian fleets firing on Republican shipping is considered a threat to Yugoslavia. Shall I inform the Republic that Carthage will offer no support should Romanian forces open fire upon the Republic, or would you like to elaborate upon your response to a situation that involves the military forces of your non-African ally standing off against the shipping and forces of your African ally?"

"We were unaware of the stand-off and referring to the Romanian ultimatum issued against Yugoslavia to make it expel foreign forces. That being said after having just read one of the intelligence briefs on the subject it would appear the Great Lakes Republic is trying to cross through a properly announced blockade and that Romania has called for your ships to turn around. While this is a threat forcing ships through a blockade is very much an aggressive act."

The Colonel narrowed her eyes, "Allow me to ensure I understand the situation. You already have an intelligence report of a situation that is ongoing, that the Republic, one of the parties involved, has only now learned of? Does this mean that Carthage was aware of Romania's intent to blockade the Republic from its own territory and personnel? Furthermore, shall I take it as the formal response of Carthage that you refuse to bring any form of diplomatic pressure to bear on your ally, Romania, to prevent a war between them and your ally, the Republic?"

"As is procedure between military allies we were briefed on the Romanian intention to prevent foreign shipping of military material to Yugoslavia. The operative words here being foreign shipping and not a targeted measures against just the Great Lakes Republic. We will not commit our diplomatic resources to making Romania end its legal blockade no."

As events had further escalated Hasan would receive a phone call from Carthage, after having excused himself to take the call he would return a few minutes later. "Emperor Anysus has requested that I inform the Grand Council that Carthage has initiated a request to establish peace talks between Romania and Yugoslavia"

"Madagascar votes aye on the Addendum"

"We fully support Carthage's efforts to bring peace to our European neighbors, as European conflicts tend to wash over into other areas in a most unwelcome fashion. Further, with permission from the Republik Congress, our delegation puts forth the offer that not only is Madagascar willing to host Carthage's efforts for peace, we also submit, to this council's judgement of course, a proposal that our nation, Madagascar, be a neutral site for AL diplomatic and mediation efforts"

The Colonel had received a call in the intervening six hours between when she had called the meeting, and when the Romanian attack began. She shook her head slowly, "It is not only Romania and Yugoslavia who are at war now. The time to apply diplomatic pressure to [b][u]prevent[/b][/u] this war was when I came to you before it began. Did you not think the Republic would defend its ally to the fullest? Did you think our words and our friendship to be empty? Romania has invaded Yugoslavia for the crime having allies whom it dislikes. Do not think that the Yugoslavians will simply walk away from this. Nor will the Republic, until all threats to our allies and ourselves been laid to rest."

She shook her head once more, "You had the chance to end this war before it began. You refused. Would that you had shown the slightest care for your ally in Africa, this whole situation could have been averted."

Representatives,

You may be defending allies in their territory but, while this war rages on in Europe, I will not stand for any foreign attacks on African League territory. I firmly believe that any foreign entity that seeks to put their boots on the ground, conduct airstrikes or send missiles into our homeland will be condemned and dealt with by all Africans. We have a duty to our continent, first and foremost, against nations who seek to harm any non-military citizen of Africa. That is what we as a continent came together to accomplish and we have proven we are the most capable region to do so. Should there be a direct hit on any African League nation's homeland, we have an obligation to defend each other. I know I intend on doing so and I hope all of you feel the same for the integrity of our home.

"Carthage can agree to that" Hasan said while a new briefing appeared on his tablet. "I have been requested to inform the Great Lakes Republic that effective immediately it will be cut off from all military data streams originating from Carthage until the end of the war and that the freedom of movement within the Empire to citizens of the Great Lakes Republic is suspended for the duration of the war. You are requested to return your nationals home and no others will be granted entry while the war lasts. These measures will not be imposed against other African League members but the threat of Great Lakes espionage and sabotage is simply too high. Personnel stationed at the Supreme African Command and Great Lakes Republic embassy are of course exempted. The mutual defence clause will also remain in effect" 

Edited by Centurius

• 3 weeks later...

"I'd like to inform the African League on behalf of my government that Carthage has declared its intent to protect islands in the Southern Atlantic left open with the Tikal collapse. We seek to utilize these islands as an early warning mechanism much like Indian Ocean islands for the greater security of the African continent"

"Due to the apparent collapse of regular government in the Great Lakes Republic the Empire has taken the initiative in establishing a protectorate for the African League. We request other members to join in this protectorate force as well as moving the Grand Council temporarily to the joint African Command in Carthage"