South East Asian Treaty Organization (SEATO) Communications and Meetings

Maelstrom Vortex

"For the moment, I would welcome Japan as an observer and consultant on the SEATO council. As Druk Yul develops trust with Japan we may later advocate for a voting position. We would like to have the votes of the other members to confirm."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Shanghai votes yes to allowing Japan in SEATO as an observer and consultant as well until tensions in the reigon die down when they can then hopefully become a full member."

Edited by jesbro

"On the situation in the former Russian Empire, my government would advocate a joint intelligence mission into the area, tasked with counter-terrorism operations and intelligence gathering.

On Japan, I will second Druk Yuls notion. We have no qualms with Japan becoming a full member outside of the Indian Ocean situation. Whether fault of their own or not, we would like to hold off on full membership until the situation is resolved. At that time I expect we will advocate for their full membership."

CLASSIFIED TO SEATO MEMBERS

"The Tongzhi transitional government expresses concern for the admittance of The Japanese Empire as an observer. The large amounts of expansion Japan seems to be doing weekly greatly concerns us as they are also rising up the Malay Peninsula due to 'Terrorism', Which we do not understand why terrorist cells warrants Annexation instead of monitoring of the area or an invasion. We also express concern that when Japan is disagreed with on their expansions they take to war, as seen with one of our members, as well as the Nuclear war with the former Chinese State. With this in mind, we wish not to step on toes of our fellow SEATO members, but do not likely want to see the admittance of Japan into our great treaty. We also would like to see them further away from Tongzhi as from their expansions, we could be next to go. 

While allowing them into the treaty may prevent this, it concerns Tongzhi to have to stand in solitary of Japan's actions when they expand on a third party state. Though do not concern as if admitted into our treaty, we will defend the Japanese Empire as much as we would any other member. As with the vote, we will be abstaining. We do not wish to do this to step on any toes of our friends in the treaty, and we do this to show we do not wish to spit in the face of Japan by voting no. We also do this for if an outside power is to engage Japan and then our treaty by default; we hope to have lesser reparations and invoke sympathy of the outside forces than will be levyed on Japan. We hope our friends and allies in SEATO understand our stance on this."

Speaker for the Tongzhi Minister of Foreign Affairs,

Troung Xuan Dien

"I consider Baffin Island to be friends with SEATO. So, usually I would send send you this:"

Baffin Motor Company(B.M.C.) are the leaders in car production. We produce 1 vehicle, but in a few days will be producing 6. We would like to offer you all of our cars for your nation as long as your government pays 1.2 Million USD a year.(With 80,000 USD taken off the price every year.)\

"But, like i said before, i believe we are friends, so i am going to offer you all of our cars(With our goal in the next year to be producing 100 different models) for ALL of SEATO, as long as SEATO pays 1 Million USD, but with 85,000 taken off a year. I call that a deal, for a friend. The world leaders in comsumer/civilian car production. BMC."

"We thank Baffin for the offer. Right now the Druk Yul government is using its own hybrid solar/natural gas vehicles. However, the consumer market may be welcome to your offer. You are therefore more than welcome to open dealerships anywhere within Druk Yul to see how well your cars sell on the consumer markets with only the standard import taxs and fees applying as with any other Druk Yul imports."

"As for the vote on Japan. We understand Tongzhi's reservations. We just want to clarify that Tongzhi understand that abstention is as effective as a no in vetoing membership votes.. even for observer status."

"I consider Baffin Island to be friends with SEATO. So, usually I would send send you this:"

Baffin Motor Company(B.M.C.) are the leaders in car production. We produce 1 vehicle, but in a few days will be producing 6. We would like to offer you all of our cars for your nation as long as your government pays 1.2 Million USD a year.(With 80,000 USD taken off the price every year.)\

"But, like i said before, i believe we are friends, so i am going to offer you all of our cars(With our goal in the next year to be producing 100 different models) for ALL of SEATO, as long as SEATO pays 1 Million USD, but with 85,000 taken off a year. I call that a deal, for a friend. The world leaders in comsumer/civilian car production. BMC."

"The Nation of Tongzhi would like to inquire pictures of said Vehicles as well as inspect a model which we pay for to insure great quality."

We have sent over the BMC-3 for inspection.

OOC: For pics just go to the B.M.C. thread.

"Tongzhi will pay the 1 million on the condition that BMC set up at least 3 factories for production of the car in cities of it's choosing in Tongzhi. This is asked due to the large shipping costs it would take, and to gain affordability for our people as well as extra jobs to do so. We have a medium sized manufacturing industry and will require the factories be of Tongzhi's Standards."

:Private to members:

"As we believe the intent of this treaty is to promote a more unified Asia, we question the recent actions of Tongzhi, intentionally provoking us by moving upon our protectorates, and then claiming we are going to be using our holdings in an agressive manner against them, what would the purpose of seeking entry to SEATO be for the Imperium if we wished to act against Tongzhi?"

:Private to members:

"As we believe the intent of this treaty is to promote a more unified Asia, we question the recent actions of Tongzhi, intentionally provoking us by moving upon our protectorates, and then claiming we are going to be using our holdings in an agressive manner against them, what would the purpose of seeking entry to SEATO be for the Imperium if we wished to act against Tongzhi?"

Private to Members:

"Tongzhi is un-easy seeing more expansion from Japan into the Andaman islands. As we have conveyed privately, the only offensive mannerisms they can take on those islands are against Druk Yul and Tongzhi. Seeing Japan's past and war like stance, they are a treaty partner. However we have seen Hawaii's friendship with Japan break and Japan using offenses there. We have seen former China fight a nuclear war with Japan after Japan's expansions. We have also been aware of the conflict between Shanghai and Japan over Japan's expansions. The Islands give too much of an advantage and makes us feel uneasy.

That is why we have asked for a negotiation on only defensive weaponry: I.E. Radar, Missile Defenses, Low number of ground forces, and a small airbase only on the Islands.It is Tongzhi's opinion we are unwary of Japan, even as a treaty partner. With offensive capabilities on an Island that can only be used logically against other treaty members, we find great unease. Should the Island have been in front of us, as the Paracels were claimed by Japan, no discussion would of taken place as it offers a slight advantage. However we have seen wars on three fronts play out on the past and they're much more damaging to the nation fighting three fronts.

We simply can't trust Japan, however we are not looking for military action. We are simply asking them to handle it peacefully and not put things on the islands to make us feel uneasy. We are willing to negotiate, but we simply can not see Japan as a close friend as we have had no interaction with them. The only thing we have seen is massive expansion and war for those who oppose it in the slightest degree. We in the Transitional Government feel as if we have to put our foot down in this situation as to not risk what happened to Hawaii, Shanghai, or the Two Chinas happen to us. We have expressed this quietly, but now it is growing too large. We have and will not engage in aggression via Economic or Military means, but we ask a treaty partner that Japan attempt to negotiate with us or help us not feel so uneasy."

"The Imperium did not pursue or threaten your vessels within the Xisha Islands, we simply inquired as to your intentions and they left without any communications, that by itself implies some level of questioning to your motives there but we did not move further. We hold a war posture due to having multiple nations attempting to restrain us from our position as the Pacific and East Indian Ocean's greatest economy. When you have been attacked a half dozen times in two decades you would be hesitant to let down your guard. We will not resign ourselves to weakening our defenses simply to please you and then allow Persia easy ability to roll through out first line of defenses.

The very notion you believe those islands provide us any additional advantages in a hypothetical aggressive action against you is laughable at best, perhaps we should as a gesture of good faith provide your military with additional education, the Andaman and Nicobar islands are a rather small advantage compared to the several times more aircraft we possess, as well as the significant naval advantage we would possess in such a hypothetical war. This is of course ignoring our ground forces advantages that could overwhelm any two members of SEATO with the exception of Druk Yul. To paint us as your enemy when we have reached out in two separate venues to quell any problems you may have and then denouncing us publicly for continuing our desire to possess a strategic advantage in defensive wars makes us believe you have no intentions of embracing us as others seem willing to, including Shanghai, the nation we have bullied by your wording.

Furthermore it is an attempt to rewrite history to pretend that Hawaii or the Twin Chinas were ever friendly towards us. Shanghai and the Imperium share a common enemy, one that Druk Yul knows and is assisting us in pursuing to ensure that no further incidents cause disputes between us again. The Imperium has the longest history of any nation in our world, and we will continue to remain as the leader of the Western Pacific regardless of the slander you wish to throw in our direction. We have no purpose to act against Tongzhi unless you collaborate with those who wish to cause harm to the Imperium. We have laid out our beliefs clearly, now whether or not you wish to collaborate or antagonize us is upon your shoulders."

The Insults exclaiming Tongzhi was uneducated were met with shock, as was the statement by Japan stating they've hypothecized a war with SEATO members but only feared Druk Yul.

It came as more of a shock when Japan exclaimed: "The Imperium has the longest history of any nation in our world, and we will continue to remain as the leader of the Western Pacific regardless of the slander you wish to throw in our direction."

The government of Tongzhi rejected making any further statements and began to meet back at their government headquarters.

Edited by Beauty

Yun Li slammed a gavel on his desk, "Representatives to this organization will be in order. Druk Yul nor other members here are oblivious to the past. Nor are we blind to the opportunities presented by the future. We realize that Japan and Tongzhi have a history, but let me state this clearly. I have unwavering trust in you both. I also have trust in you both to handle this dispute maturely." He watched the Tongzhi delegation trying to leave. He ordered the guards at the door to halt them, "You are representatives to SEATO from your government, you have an obligation by treaty to resolve this matter peacefully and openly. I don't know where you intend to go, but if you want to remain in SEATO your representation remains here until all of its members have had time to say their pieces on the matter. This is not merely between you and Japan. This is a multi-lateral discussion and we will not harbor your disrespect. SEATO members don't run because it got a little hot in the negotiating room. Our pride does not come before peace. They could slander Druk Yul to the ends of the earth and I would still be in this seat."

He rubbed his brow. "Tongzhi. You take insult that Japan has considered us an enemy. It happens. We are regional competitors. We are trying to get past that. You walking out on these negotiations is not going to help matters."

He looked towards the representatives of Japan, "Tongzhi has legitimate concerns about the islands in questions given the quarrelsome history of the region. Rather than responding with hostility to that concern, what do you propose as a solution?"

"But.. one thing I wish to make clear. I will not tolerate continued insults being flung in this chamber. Address the issues and your concerns, the roots of those concerns from a strategic standpoint. Do not direct your arguments at each other. I have respect for you both. Is this understood?"

"If we wished for a war with anyone in SEATO we would not have made diplomatic overtures and applied to this organization, until our situation with Persia is resolved, it is naive to appease Tongzhi at the cost of our own security, especially when we are merely observers and as such not mandatory to be defended by the rest of SEATO. I am no aware of any history between Tongzhi and the Imperium, besides us intervening to prevent further bloodshed between them and Cascadia upon one occasion, besides that we have not had any interactions with Tongzhi that I know of. as for proposals, it would be better to have an idea as to what Tongzhi even wants besides the Imperium to abandon its role within the Asian Pacific region, which would not merely hurt the Imperium, but every member of this organization as well."

"Tongzhi, I have one more remark about the situation as well. If the Andamans were a serious concern, Druk Yul would have already reacted. We have both Persia and Japan to our south. We honestly do not care. We do not antagonize them, they do not antagonize us. We have means of dealing with the threats if they arise and the threat from those isles posed to us is greater than to Tongzhi. You enjoy our protection from your entire western border and Shanghai on most of your northern border. We have no intention on putting any restrictions on Japan. We think you should reconsider given the amount of safety we are providing you and the additional security it would give you if you were to normalize relations with Japan. Expansions around you by Japan in the future are going to be minimal."

"The first step in establishing a relationship is establishing trust. Druk Yul and SEATO can be that bridge, but you both have to walk it."

"Our navy and military installations does not simply protect the Imperium, as we displayed with Amur Republics, we have no interest in foreign intervention into any of our neighbors, and even without electing to join this organization we would have defended Tongzhi from a foreign incursion, depending on the circumstances of course."

"Tongzhi, I have one more remark about the situation as well. If the Andamans were a serious concern, Druk Yul would have already reacted. We have both Persia and Japan to our south. We honestly do not care. We do not antagonize them, they do not antagonize us. We have means of dealing with the threats if they arise and the threat from those isles posed to us is greater than to Tongzhi. You enjoy our protection from your entire western border and Shanghai on most of your northern border. We have no intention on putting any restrictions on Japan. We think you should reconsider given the amount of safety we are providing you and the additional security it would give you if you were to normalize relations with Japan. Expansions around you by Japan in the future are going to be minimal."

"The first step in establishing a relationship is establishing trust. Druk Yul and SEATO can be that bridge, but you both have to walk it."

"Tongzhi abstained to the Japanese entering the treaty on grounds of repeated expansion. We let that go. Tongzhi asked for Japan to keep weapons down on the islands to our south, Not only for Druk Yul, but for Tongzhi as missiles could be fired from the South, South East, and north of Tongzhi. We feared for that as Japan has had friends turn to enemies quickly in the past. We let that go. We asked for Japan to keep an eye on Persia in the Islands to the north of the islands we ask them to limit presence on. We were ignored. 

Needless to say we attempted to monitor Islands to the east of us due to our historical ties to the Islands, and it appears Japan has already moved in to claim them under their empire's protection. We simply can not trust them near us and the islands right beside us on all sides to be armed to the fullest extent. If Japan were above observer status, we would feel better; however they are not. We simply fear for their future moves after the threats and insults at this time.

We try to resolve it peacefully, and Japan insults us. That is why I was returning to let me government know of the current situation. We've already been threatened with asking to "Act" upon us for attempting to ask Japan for negotiations. It is with this duty, I ask to speak with the Government of Tongzhi on future actions and potential threats to our nation from Japan."

The Representative fiddles with her phone.

Edited by Beauty

"You may certainly confer with them, simply do not depart the negotiations. Thirty minute recess so everyone may confer with their governments and take a break. I strongly suggest everyone return with a calm and even disposition ready to discuss seriously how we are going to address our mutual concerns. You may use whatever forms of communication you please, but please stay on the grounds until the debate is concluded."

"If any of you start a war in Druk Yul's back yard.. know that that the full weight of this treaty will be brought to bear upon the perpetrator. We are here to settle disputes not embellish them."

The Tongzhi representative hastily calls the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hanoi to alert them to what has transpired and the insults from Japan. The Head of State was furious and began to call an emergency Government meeting to discuss the affairs.

Rumors were beginning to circulate that the government of Tongzhi was starting to fall. The delegates from Tongzhi were released to return home in light of these rumors.

Yun-Li reconvened the summit."We're hearing rumors of disorder in Tongzhi. Looks like their war may not have been completely over. Anyway, we cannot continue forward with this level of instability. If the government does in fact fall, we will re-distribute the 50,000 troops already present in the Cambodian and Thai regions to cover Vietnam as well. We will continue to protect the people of our treaty partner as treaty bound to do so. We are attempting to establish communications with their government even now."

Rumors were beginning to circulate that the government of Tongzhi was starting to fall. The delegates from Tongzhi were released to return home in light of these rumors.

Yun-Li reconvened the summit."We're hearing rumors of disorder in Tongzhi. Looks like their war may not have been completely over. Anyway, we cannot continue forward with this level of instability. If the government does in fact fall, we will re-distribute the 50,000 troops already present in the Cambodian and Thai regions to cover Vietnam as well. We will continue to protect the people of our treaty partner as treaty bound to do so. We are attempting to establish communications with their government even now."

"The Government of Tongzhi regards these accusations as falsified."

A Tongzhi referendum will be taking place today on the future of Tongzhi moving passed it's transitional government.

Edited by Beauty

"Ah, good to hear. We weren't certain what was going on." Yun Li noted. "So.. what will you be transitioning into? What have the people decided upon?"

"We have several bills up for vote and the first one will be taking place in a matter of minutes! Parliament is currently debating the bill"

Yun Li asked the Tongzhi and Japan delegations, "Do the two of you need SEATO to assign non-Japanese and non-Tongzhi peacekeepers to Hainan to prevent a war for that island? We'll be glad to assign a protectorate status to it in order to keep it out of either of your hands if that would halt a conflict."