South East Asian Treaty Organization (SEATO) Communications and Meetings

Maelstrom Vortex

Asab was welcomed to the Assembly hall and politely seated, "We fear the Raj has fallen." Yun Li would begin. "Being an important neighbor and actor in the region we felt it only appropriate we include Persia in the negotiations. That said, first, thank you for coming. Second, have you had any luck communicating with the Raj? We've tried every channel of communication. Their military command cannot account for his whereabouts. We're concerned he has been assassinated. We're already working with Indian military forces to keep the calm in the region, but I will be honest.. maintaining all of India is not something I would want Druk Yul to do.. nor do I see all of SEATO seeking to carry that weight. That said, we need your help if he is truly gone. What are Persia's thoughts on the situation?"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zehreh nodded, "We understand your concerns, completely. Just like you, we have tried to make contact with their government. Needless to say, we have not had much success. As a precaution, we have mobilized forces close to the border, fearing a possible refugee crisis. Zehreh paused for  a moment, "We have discussed the possibility of military intervention; it would be a much more efficient operation if we worked together. In all honesty, the people of India deserve our help. However, we cannot allow India to fall into the hands of foreign powers. I'm sure you are aware of the Spartan Fleet in the Indian. I propose that we split India 50/50. That would be the best solution to the question."

"So a line extending directly from the tip of india to the north border of the Raj's current holdings would be the new border? Our side would include the island of Columbo/Sri Lanka?" Yun Li inquired. "Sounds reasonable. I would like to hear the rest of SEATO's opinion on the matter."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

"Split of India? Are you serious? They must be having government issues there, but that doesn't mean it's time to swoop in and take over the residents of those lands. It would be in Tongzhi's best interest to see India remain a protectorate of SEATO and your nation if you wish until it can figure out it's issues. If they can not reach an appropriate agreement or government relations go sour, Tongzhi would be fine in seeing India administered in a better way and could be discussed then. We'd rather not see massive expansion and one billion people being divided up to foreign nations due to an apparent government collapse. The people haven't even had a chance to voice their opinions on the matters at hand."

- Regent of Tongzhi (Acting Head of State until Nguyen's return)

Edited by Rotavele

"I understand your concern Regent, but we do not have the military force to cover this territory and protect it alone as only a protectorate. It's simply too large. That's why I think it'd be wise for Druk yul to either take or protect half.. and for Persia to take or protect the other. We don't really have any other options. There's a real threat that if we don't then influences and forces from outside this region could establish themselves there." Yun Li replied. "India is huge.. just sustaining it as a protectorate, over its whole area, would provide a very large over-extension of our forces. I don't think Tongzhi would want to commit large sums of its forces to govern the region and pay the cost and get nothing in return would it? It would leave you vulnerable. If Druk Yul and Persia divide it between ourselves as neighbors we can take care of the Indians and we could use their own economy and their own population to protect them. We are open to any reasonable proposals.. and to us.. that means that this entire territory isn't a SEATO protectorate because it's too large for us to manage adequately."

"Druk Yul has already committed ten divisions just to attempting to sustain stability. If we had to fight a war of defense there without the added man-power it would deplete us rapidly."

Zehreh adjusted his tunic, "Splitting the nation of India will be a tremendous task. There is no doubting that. However, this a matter of national and regional security. India is in a state of lawlessness; we know that. By leaving India open, we allow foreign powers the ability to invade  India and threaten our borders directly."

"Druk Yul agrees. While we are consulting SEATO on the matter and note Tongzhi's objection, there is too much at steak not to act and given we share a border with India our National Security is at stake. We will begin integrating the eastern half and Colombo into our domain and are making sure that the Indian army is successfully integrated into Druk Yul from that theater. It is both our responsibility as former treaty partners and to this region, to ensure the security of India and given the size of the tasks, we will need help. We thank Persia for coming to us instead of acting alone and for its patience. Druk Yul will begin the pull back from west Indian bases and turning them over to your forces. We will advise local government to report to your governors"

After the meeting would end, the above actions would begin as Druk Yul forces.. mostly advisers and trainers, would move to integrate with the Indian Army in Eastern India and government representation of those peoples were set up in the parliament. The people of East India and Bangledesh were advised that if they determined a new government on their own that Druk Yul would be supportive, but for the moment they would need to be present to retain order.

"Tongzhi will be ready to go shall Druk Yul need assistance in securing their new lands."

The Regent smiles.

"We will also be wishing to let you know due to the death of Huong Nguyen, i will be assuming the position of Head of State of Tongzhi. It will be a pleasure working with you gentlemen." 

Thinh Loi,

Head of State

Edited by Rotavele

A meeting is called by Druk Yul in regards to a potential member violation of treaty articles and an investigation called to get to the bottom of the intent of a statement made on behalf of SEATO that is against treaty principle.

Evidence item 1 is deposited on a table for all treaty signatories to review.

To Emperor Maximillian of Russia

There are only 2 ways this war will end and now is the time for you to make your decision. If the war was to continue the combined forces of SEATO and our allies would wipe you out and you know it. Give us your unconditional surrender and your empire might still be standing by the end of the month but if you dont it would mean the destruction of your entire empire and perhaps even your entire culture.

I have seen empires rise and fall over the years and this is your one last chance to stop your empire from being one of those that falls. This is your last and final chance at peace.

"We have a letter that appears to have originated from the Empress of Shanghai that literally, if read as presented, appears to violate the very essence of the SEATO charter. We may take down a nation for aggressive action, but threats to exterminate a culture are not what SEATO was intended for." Yun Li noted. "I hereby open the floor to discussion of the item in question."

OOC: Yea it came out a little more threatening than originally intended but will still go along with it.

Mei knew the consequences of what she had done and was willing to accept them. She knew that until the Russians either surrendered or they were destroyed they would be a threat to the safety of all SEATO and it's allies.

"I am willing to accept any punishment you decide to put on me but I wonder why it is even necessary when everyone here knows that what I said in the letter is the truth? The Russians will never stop attack us or any of our allies until something is done to stop them for good. Even if we take out their leaders they will just find someone even worse to replace them and continue to attack us until we or they are all dead. You may want to deny it but it is the truth and everyone on this council knows it."

Jesse would be called back from the warzone while Lee continued to lead their forces there. He did not want to believe she would go that far at first but given how bloddy the war had been so far he understood why she did. He wasn not going to deny them the punishment the others wanted to give her short of execution because even they should know that would be a little too much even with what she did.

Edited by jesbro

Ambassador Linping spoke up, "I have been asked by my government to read a statement from our highest office."  He cleared his throat and began:

"While the language used in this letter originating from Shanghai to Imperial Russia may have been poorly worded, we believe the verbiage to be more of an opinion and prediction by the sender, not an actual threat.  The United Amur Republics would and will never support ethnic or cultural genocide, as these would be gross humanitarian crimes.

However, this Office must take issue with what has happened to the military campaign.  It is the opinion of this Office that public statements made about the appalling nature of this letter and offers of white peace to the Siberians are politically farcical.  We are talking about being more worried about a letter that was most likely simply poorly written, as being worse than two,"  Linping's tone began to harden, "TWO, attempted invasions by the Siberians.  You all know what happened with the last peace.  The Siberians used it as cover to muster an even larger invasion force than before.  Their leader, and those that control him, are apparent and to a degree, unashamed megalomaniacs who have by their own admission refused to accept any hindrance to their lust for expansion.  This includes invading our country, and this comes straight from them, because we have rich mineral deposits.  That's it. 

So, this Office ponders to the council of SEATO, how many times will Imperial Russian forces be allowed to spill our collective blood, only to be told 'Please stop?'  Are there no consequences to their brand of bloodlust?  Their leader is completely unfit to rule, and is a danger to the region, continent, and his very own people.  It would be imprudent, illogical, and impractical to allow the Siberians to simply walk away again, as we only know what will happen next.  The United Amur Republics implores this council to take the necessary disciplinary steps it feels appropriate, but with the greatest degree of urgency, also implores this council to due what has to be done with the Imperial Russian state."

"Linping, I can't help at times but to admire your wisdom. It's a pity you're not leading some of the global powers, but maybe with your help Amur might just become one." Yun Li sighed, "War is a difficult matter, for all involved. Druk Yul has sustained heavy casualties in the fighting and our families know personally the great pain of this war. Russia has commited great crimes in this region and while they are great, if we become our enemy then are we not both worthy of destruction? I realize that the Russians have attempted to undermine us twice. I realize they utilize any delay to harm us. Druk Yul definitely wants the situation to change. Maximillian must be held accountable, but to say that all Russian people are liable for his behavior is revolting. It reinforces their propaganda and empowers Maximillian.. and worse, it puts us on his level. Let me be clear on this.. per our charter, we will not exterminate their culture.. but we will liberate it and we will help the find appropriate and responsible leadership and then we will leave once elections are held that give us a sense of security once more. I believe that is the responsible way to handle this war within the spirit of our charter."

He looked to Mei, "I do not think we should punish you for ill spoken words. But you are responsible for them. You have alienated some of our allies with their careless nature. If I were you I'd publically rescind my statements in favor of purging a culture and consider stepping aside in a leadership role at least until you are calm again. I think your state may be driving your emotions and the selection of your wording, for I have heard you are with child.. possibly? And while a mother makes a great caretaker and protector they make terrifying.. sometimes uncomrpomising combatants in situations where great delicacy is required."

"The pause in the offensive is not to seek white peace. It was a unilateral ceasfire. THe pause in the offensive is to make sure we are on the same page. Russias people will not be abused. They will be treated respectfully. Returned to their homes disarmed when possible, kept as prisoners of war in kind conditions until such time as that can be done. The government of Russia will be brought to trial for breaching treaties they signed with us as a violation of international law and contract to which they had put their own names to. They will serve out life sentences if they can be captured alive.. and that is how we will seek to capture them.. alive."

"Does anyone have objection with these intents?"

Linping listened and contemplated before replying, "Indeed we are on the same page then. I am in agreement. Change in government will be necessary, as well as limiting collateral damage. I would also propose some form of de-indoctrination if you get my meaning. The Siberian propaganda machine was powerful, but perhaps I shouldn't speak of victor's wishes when the war still rages. Amur will stand with this direction and is ready to re-engage upon this Council's call."

Yun Li nodded, "I'll inform the Russians the Druk Yul humanitarian ceasefire will terminate wtihin 8 hours unless their government wishes to surrender themselves from the rank of 3rd star general or equivalent to head of state."

Mei agreed with the ruling. Perhaps she really wasn't quite herself because of the maternal need to make sure all of her children and friends were kept safe. Jesse knew something like this was bound to happen eventually and he knew what needed to be done. Mei would then step down as the leader of Shanghai and announce Jesse as the new Emperor of Shanghai. There would be cheers from the people in Shanghai as the true blood son of the late Emperor Brian had finally taken his place as Emperor of the people of Shanghai. 

Jesse would then meet up with his friend Jordan who was promoted to the leader of Delta Squad upon Jesse's ascension to the throne. "Jordan I know we have all been fighting the Russians for a long time but I still don't think the Russian leadership will surrender to SEATO forces even if it really did mean the destruction of their own people if they didn't."

"What is it you need me to do Jesse?"

"If the Russian Emperor and his cohorts don't surrender peacefully than your orders are to capture them alive and find out what their true reasons were for starting this war. If all they wanted was a way to trade with nations using ports on the coast than they should have accepted Maelstrom's original offer but they didn't. I don't believe that the coastal ports or even the Amur resources was ever the true reasons for starting this war and I want to find out what their true reasons really were. There is more going on here than everyone else thinks and we need to find out what it is before it is too late."

"Understood." 

"I would like to remind Ambassador Linping that an abstention given the article of accession for the treaty would be considered the same as a no. Consent to accession must be unanimous per treaty law. If you do not vote yes, Russia's accession will be denied, is this your intent or would you prefer to change your vote? We just must be certain we make you aware as to how the treaty law is stated, currently an abstention is the same as a no. You could vote yes with reservations and we'll note the reservations."

- Ambassador Yun Li

"We will take a yes with reservations. It will take me some time to compile a specific set of reservations, but the items listed therein will certainly be minor. Perhaps just the yes vote with the condition that we wished for a null counting of our vote for purpose of the record would suffice?"

"In light of recent reactions to nuclear testing. We think the following article may be useful in our treaty."

Article XIV: Nuclear Testing Consent

Due to the regional impact that can be felt by nuclear weapons testing both diplomatic and in terms of fallout; all future above ground, excluding deep space, nuclear tests in the earth's atmosphere must be reviewed and approve by the SEATO council to ensure the risk to civilian populations is limited and that important wildlife refuges are not put at risk. Yield, location, and number of tested war heads must all 3 be approved. Consent must be unanimous due to the significant impact of the item in question.

Noted Amur, and added to the tally. Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

"I think that would be a good idea to add that to the SEATO treaty. Considering what I was ordering my pilots to do should you have gone ahead with the test I think that we need that new part in order to be able to prevent situations like this in the future."