Orville's Civilized Dispute Resolution Program for Nations and Alliances with Smaller Disputes

Dear Planet Bobians,

First, I know 99% of you have no need nor want for my services, and to you I say "this is not meant for you."  This is meant for people who prefer economic growth and peace to fighting wars over petty issues.  People who put money before pride.  Sometimes, war is an irrational decision.  I am here to provide a rational alternative.

Second, this is not an official threat of, nor does it have the express authorization of NpO.  This is my own doing and my doings here have no reflection on them.

As many of you know, I, Orville Reginbacher, prior to my assent to Lawyeria leadership, was a lowly attorney.  That is why I am introducing to you Orville's Civilized Dispute Resolution Program for Nations and Alliances with Smaller Disputes ("OCDRPNASD," for short).

During my time, I have noticed a potential need in our community for dispute resolution outside of the war process.  Sometimes alliances have problems or individual nations have disputes, which are not worth warring over (sometimes these wars are irrational/bad financially for all involved), but certainly are not worth just letting go.  I want to be your new solution to these disputes.

The services I am offering to you are simple: if any alliance/nation wishes to, and the other alliance/nation agrees, you can submit your dispute to me for either voluntary, binding, Planet-Bobian arbitration, or voluntary, non-binding mediation to help both sides settle their dispute without the uncertainty, or more importantly, the cost, of war.

Below is how it works, both for arbitration and mediation.

General Rules (applies to both Arbitration and Mediation):

1.  Alliances/nations who wish to arbitrate or mediate with me must first agree to that either in advance (by writing such into treaties or surrender terms) or in a new agreement stating that both alliances/nations agree to have me perform one or both of these services for them.

2.  Arbitration is a final decision with a winner and loser, sometimes two losers.  Either way decisions are made.  If this option is selected, you agree to have me as the final decision maker on your dispute.

3.  Mediation is a settlement/negotiation process which is facilitated by a third party, here me.  There is no decision at the end of the day, just an attempt to move towards a settlement.

4.  Regardless, both parties must first make aid offers of max cash and 100 tech to me.  This fee may be negotiable, and you should contact me in advance.  If payments are not submitted, the matter is dismissed from my docket and is outside my jurisdiction.

5.  If there is no agreement to have me arbitrate or mediate the dispute, then I will not do so.  Have fun with your war.

Arbitration:

1.  Both sides are permitted to send to me (copying the other party or party's representative) of no more than 1000 words, not including exhibits (IRC logs, posts, pictures, screen captures, etc.)  You must state the dispute, your argument, and your desired result.  Then, each side may respond to the other party's initial PM, with a post not to exceed 500 words, not included exhibits.  This must all occur in the first two days.  Day 1, both sides submit their initial arguments, day 2 both respond to the other's initial argument.  I will then decide a winner within 2 days of final submissions.

2.  The party that is asking for something, i.e. asking for a change from the current status quo, asking for their interpretation to prevail over the other, or asking for a decision on something in their favor, must prove that they are entitled to their demanded result, and prove that more likely than not, i.e. 50.01% likelihood, that they are entitled to their relief sought.  If you are not asking for anything, but just defending yourself against the other party's demand, you do not have any burden.

3.  If both sides are asking for a change or something that is outside the status quo, both sides bear the burden of proof outlined above.  I will decide who, overall, is the winner of loser.  This is discretionary and cannot be appealed (of course I can't actually stop you from warring with each other, but consider the PR problems you might have).

4.  In an arbitration, loser pays, and I will accept the aid offer from the loser and reject the aid offer from the winner prior to my decision.

5.  If loser fails to pay, the debt becomes twice that amount owed, plus reasonable Planet-Bobian collection expenses.

6.  I will PM all parties with their arbitration schedule when we begin.

Mediation:

1.  In mediation, the cost must be negotiated by the parties (one side can agree to pay it) and I will accept from them, or it can be shared cost between the two (one side sending cash, the other tech).

2.  Both sides will send PM's, privately, to me on Day 1.  I will PM everyone their mediation schedule.  These PM's should include the same information asked for in an arbitration initial PM, above, with the same limitations.

3.  I will go back and forth between the parties with PM's to attempt to resolve the dispute for 5 days.  If we are at an impasse, i.e. have no agreement, at the end of the 5th day, the mediation has failed and I will accept BOTH PARTY'S aid offers to show there is a cost to not being willing to negotiate.

4.  If an agreement is reached, we will put pen on paper, so to speak, and post the resulted agreement in this forum, or if it is an alliance dispute which is resolved of sufficient importance, in the Alliance Announcement forum.

Again, this is to provide an alternative to the economic destruction and irrationality that is war.  Sometimes war is the rational response, but not always.  I'm here to help alliances and nations when war is irrational and you want to avoid losing money and infrastructure over pride.

Feel free to PM me or reply here with questions/concerns/interest.

3.  I will go back and forth between the parties with PM's to attempt to resolve the dispute for 5 days.  If we are at an impasse, i.e. have no agreement, at the end of the 5th day, the mediation has failed and I will accept BOTH PARTY'S aid offers to show there is a cost to not being willing to negotiate.

This made me laugh. But this is an interesting development. I'll be interested to see how this works out. Best of luck!

This made me laugh. But this is an interesting development. I'll be interested to see how this works out. Best of luck!

Thanks, but it will only work if people use it.  Do you have a dispute you would like to resolve?  :-P

Thanks, but it will only work if people use it.  Do you have a dispute you would like to resolve?  :-P

It will also only work if you provide us with free popcorn!!   :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

• 1 month later...