Plain Discussions

Lynneth

To: Foreign Affairs Department, Plains Federation

Topic: Diplomatic Relations

Body:

"Ladies and Gentlemen,

time has passed and events of great import have occurred.

The summation of these events has shown us that the Plains Federation is a nation of integrity and generosity. The Principality would thus like to propose an upgrade of our treaty of non-aggression and friendship to one of mutual defence.

Unlike last time, we do not believe that a personal meeting is necessary. However, we will consent to one, should you desire so."

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Director of Diplomacy,

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Principality of Tikal

To The Director of Diplomacy of The Principality of Tikal

From The Office of The Governor of The State of Texas

Director Rojas, I Anthony Sparks, Governor of the State of Texas. President Reese has authorized myself to conduct these talks between our two nations. As governor of the biggest State in the Federation and the one closest to Tikal, I believe we will be able to have a fruitful discussion between the secured message system which we are currently utilizing. 

I am pleased to hear that your government would like to update our current treaty. President Reeses shares the same interests and, with the connections I have in the Federation Senate, I am positive the treaty would be approved once congress convenes for its next session. Is there something that you have to propose to us? Or would you prefer we take the lead on that front?

Anthony Sparks

Governor of the State of Texas

To: The Office of The Governor of The State of Texas

Esteemed Governor Sparks,

Tikal's goal in these discussions is to either add a clause of mutual defence to the existing treaty, or to sign a second treaty that augments the current one. Considering that we do not require anyone but their Highnesses to approve of the treaty, I would imagine it might be easier for you to gain support for the amendment/second treaty were you to take the lead.

I eagerly await your response.

Director of Diplomacy,
Clemente Marroquín Rojas
Principality of Tikal

Edited by Lynneth

To The Director of Diplomacy of The Principality of Tikal
From The Office of The Governor of The State of Texas

Director Rojas,

After speaking with Senator Morgan, who represents Texas, I believe I have an amendment that would satisfy everyone. Please let me know what you think.

Amendment 1 - Mutual Defense

Section 1

The Plains Federation and the Principality of Tikal shall act in mutual defense of each other regardless of the situation: cyber warfare, physical conflict, trade embargoes, or threat of any of the aforementioned. However, if one party offensively declares war on another nation/group, the other party is not obligated to follow suit. 

It is short and sweet, but I believe it will get the job done. This is, of course, on top of our already standing treaty. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Anthony Sparks
Governor of the State of Texas

To: The Office of The Governor of The State of Texas

Esteemed Governor Sparks,

the amendment is concise, and I feel that for its shortness, it is better than a page-long document. Their Highnesses are willing to sign it as soon as possible, and I will send you the amended treaty to ratify in the next days.

I'm most delighted that this discussion went as quickly and efficiently as it did.

Director of Diplomacy,
Clemente Marroquín Rojas
Principality of Tikal

A few days later two copies of the 'new' treaty, lengthened slightly by the amendment, were sent to the Plains Federation. They already had the signature of the Princess on it. The second would of course have to be returned to Tikal, to ensure authenticity from both sides.