Cyber Nations Role Play: Beyond Earth

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like having some sort of history and culture and have such anchored in a reality that is pre-determined. Having Japanese in Japan, Germans in Germany, Magyars in Hungary, Uyghurs in East Turkestan/Xinjiang, etc. with a certain culture rooted in history is to me a good thing. Sure, it gives value to certain land and makes other parts less valuable, but honestly, that value is subjective, it is up to individual preferences and it allows people to be appreciate their land more. Because it actually is unique and has a history of its own, not just the seventeenth copypaste of Germany in the mid-Pacific. And if such means that some people don't get their first preference, well, maybe they get their second, third or fourth. Most often, people don't mind changing their priorities. Most often, people will consider alternatives and even join in otherwise far less desireable land, if they really deem it worth joining.

We have people joining and going inactive all the time here. It might very well be that instead of playing how they want to play, they were forced into bum$%&@ Pakistan or AIDS-infested subsaharan Africa. You have been incredibly lucky to play easy and somewhat interesting cultures. Do not think your case is universal. Hell, look at CN itself. The game makes no distinction between the culture you choose your nation to be comprised of and where you stick yourself on the world map. We're just copying that ideal.

I frankly hate the aspect of deleting history, because I love history.

Strange, considering how you were one of the biggest victims of this. If this rule was implemented before, you wouldn't have been attacked based on names you give things.

Taking away history makes conflicts not go away. But it takes away much of what makes up culture, lots of interesting aspects of our countries and it also takes away much of the historic lessons, which might be worth learning from. How am I to be a post-modern or even just modern nation, without any history that created such concepts?

Taking away history doesn't end conflicts, it just restricts them to what happens in RP. You can't RP an Algerian invasion of France based off what happened in the 50s, but you can certainly RP an Algerian invasion of France because they did stuff in RP. If you want cultural history, make it yourself. Nobody said that you can't claim that Quebec was founded by French colonists in the 17th century, the only difference is that you are now choosing to take responsibility for that history. However, if someone RPs a country in France's general area and doesn't recognize that history, it can't be used against them.

Because, what is it that we get out of this? As it stands, we already got Meihua, Draka, we got Stormlands. What will we get if we implement this? Maybe half a dozen people, and while Euphaia, Tywin and Rota are free to RP here and maybe worth inviting, this goes too far in catering to them.

You're thinking too short term. I'm not looking at how many people will show up in the next week, but how many people will show up over months. How many people do you think show up, see Germany or China is taken, and walk away without saying a word. You are a bit young to remember this, but when I joined CNRP in 2008, we didn't place any emphasis on setting. This method of playing went on for a couple years. We had a German state in Texas, Irish controlled the west coast, japanese-type countries throughout Asia and the Pacific, a big chunk of Canada was Italian, I was in India and had a culture that far more resembled Europe than India, and not only did the world not go to hell, but was much more active than it is now. People post when they want to, and they want to play the game when they can play it the way they want to.

Most of us have a piece of land we find acceptable, there's a lot of ok land still out there, I see little need to create an abomination of a map without history for the limited gains coming from it. It would maybe contribute far more to CNRP, if certain people just post more, instead of taking up space.

If someone wants to set up India in India or Thailand in Thailand, nothing is stopping them. However, considering how that land is empty, we obviously don't have anyone who wants to be India or Thailand or Iran or Canada.

And as a clarification, I got little issue with making up cultures and worlds. Just, I think that'd be a different RP and should then be a complete break from reality (which I'd still find meh, as it'd no longer be CNRP to me).

Good ideas should never be relegated to alt-RP, given its literal perfect record of never working.

Edited by KaiserMelech Mikhail

We have people joining and going inactive all the time here. It might very well be that instead of playing how they want to play, they were forced into bum$%&@ Pakistan or AIDS-infested subsaharan Africa. You have been incredibly lucky to play easy and somewhat interesting cultures. Do not think your case is universal. Hell, look at CN itself. The game makes no distinction between the culture you choose your nation to be comprised of and where you stick yourself on the world map. We're just copying that ideal.

As I said, your assessment of cultures is subjective and wholly based on personal preferences. I for my part would not mind being Pakistan, if it seemed a viable option and if I had to reroll. I did try Kurdistan once, before I went to Québec because some people did not bother to post and end their war with Pure Lands.

Strange, considering how you were one of the biggest victims of this. If this rule was implemented before, you wouldn't have been attacked based on names you give things.

I have not been attacked. I got repercussions, which led to me voluntarily leaving Japan.

Taking away history doesn't end conflicts, it just restricts them to what happens in RP. You can't RP an Algerian invasion of France based off what happened in the 50s, but you can certainly RP an Algerian invasion of France because they did stuff in RP. If you want cultural history, make it yourself. Nobody said that you can't claim that Quebec was founded by French colonists in the 17th century, the only difference is that you are now choosing to take responsibility for that history. However, if someone RPs a country in France's general area and doesn't recognize that history, it can't be used against them.

The last three conflicts in CNRP, besides the Laurentine war had about as much effort put in there to justify them, it could've not been smaller had it been waged for historic reasons. That's an issue of people not bothering to get proper CBs and getting away with it ICly. Not an OOC issue that requires deleting history.

You're thinking too short term. I'm not looking at how many people will show up in the next week, but how many people will show up over months. How many people do you think show up, see Germany or China is taken, and walk away without saying a word. You are a bit young to remember this, but when I joined CNRP in 2008, we didn't place any emphasis on setting. This method of playing went on for a couple years. We had a German state in Texas, Irish controlled the west coast, japanese-type countries throughout Asia and the Pacific, a big chunk of Canada was Italian, I was in India and had a culture that far more resembled Europe than India, and not only did the world not go to hell, but was much more active than it is now. People post when they want to, and they want to play the game when they can play it the way they want to.

Besides the obvious observation that this is a bit meh considering the indegenous cultures that get lost, that you partly can already do now. We had a lot of these countries and still got them. No need to create new continents for this. The sole matter I see that may warrant new continents is that by this deregulation, people could take the whole of India, RP it as another Ukraine and whoever wants to be Indian can look for a new place, while new Ukraine could as well be in pretty much any other white space or on an island of its own. However, with the way it is, we got silly continents and people taking up nice map space.

If someone wants to set up India in India or Thailand in Thailand, nothing is stopping them. However, considering how that land is empty, we obviously don't have anyone who wants to be India or Thailand or Iran or Canada.

Mogar is in Siam, methinks. And he seemed to RP Siamnese. and if we get people who are fine RPing Burmese in Burma and Cambodians in Cambodia, no need to think noone would ever RP siamnese in Siam. Next, I am in Canada. The whole East of it, apart from Newfoundland and Labrador (which is Shadowhawk) and the Maritimes (which got annexed by MGL). We had more Canadians before, of whom I think they left for other reasons, not because Canada is oh-so-boring.

Good ideas should never be relegated to alt-RP, given its literal perfect record of never working.

If this were to be a good idea...

To be fair I am only RPing in Siam because there is no point of RPing in Japan if I have to name my ships after animes rather than after mountains, rivers, and generally not able to follow the conventions of what Japanese ships have been named since they created a navy. I also suspect I will not be in Siam for an incredibly lengthy period of time, but based off how close the vote was, I did not feel like spending 4 months recovering 3 months of effort, since by rerolling I get to sprout with a new navy and airforce.

Edited by Mogar

Mär 21 02:09:27 <Justinian_the_Mighty>    So did Eva quit?
Mär 21 02:09:46 <Mogar>    yes
Mär 21 02:10:03 <Justinian_the_Mighty>    I blame you, Mogar
Mär 21 02:10:20 <Mogar>    i would have just renamed all my ships after animes

The irony...

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis