CNRP2 Nuclear Discussion

Zoot Zoot

Out of curiosity, if we RP having missiles that are designed to stop missiles (like Patriot batteries) does that constitute an SDI or does that fall under something else?

I'm not going to get caught up in a debate here about what blocks nuclear missiles. If you want a role that gives you a 60 percent chance at stopping any sort of nuclear attack, get an sdi.

The rest, I think if we are all between 2000 and 2014 technology, there is room for a discussion on allowing everyone access to nuclear roles based upon the proven rates of success with said technology.

For example, the Aegis argument, I have no problem with allowing people to use their aegis systems to try and intercept certain types of nuclear attacks, but they aren't going to be getting 60 percent. No sir, much lower.

that's the way i see it.

SDI is the king of the anti-nuke interception systems. Everything else maybe tops out at 20 percent. And it's a single roll for a single weapon, not a roll for each ship with your special wizard aegis system.

I don't got the time or the patience to do that much math. The simpler you make this system for a moron like me, the sooner you get your rolls.

The harder you make it to figure out, the less I bother getting around to your rolls.

Thems the facts folks. Deal with it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while I like zoot's idea. I think it would be better to just have people rp using actual irl systems in an overseas capacity.

Probably the easiest way to do this is give SDI rolls a 60 percent value, one roll per nation per nuke.

Meaning every single nation the nuke flies over, gets a single roll on it at 60 percent if they have an sdi.

Any nation using an irl system gets a single 20 percent roll if the nuke is targeting them.

It might be better if people were just allowed to decide what proportion of their existing nukes are tactical or strategic. Because if we were to distribute it by megatonnage, and TBM's proposal was adopted, then people would be able to game the system by firing large numbers of very low-power nukes and get a higher hit percentage even with an SDI playing goalie, so to speak.

TBM's proposal seems pretty reasonable to me, but it just seems too easy to game the system if we divide available nukes by megatonnage as Jeff suggested. Although, come to think of it, it would make sense for a nation to be able to decide if they want to spread the fissile material they have on hand between a smaller number of big bombs or a larger number of small bombs.

I think what might be less prone to abuse is if we simply let each nation decide what proportion of their 20-25 nukes are tactical and which are strategic. Limiting the nukes to a set number also prevents people from launching dozens of Little Boys or Fat Men in an attempt to overwhelm the enemy SDI.

What would be the conversion rate to tactical nukes then? Just make it so you have 100-125MT to distribute among them (assuming 5MT per nukes at 20-25 nukes)?

I'm not sure whether people would want tactical nukes. They are neither great for RP, nor for the military.

It might be better if people were just allowed to decide what proportion of their existing nukes are tactical or strategic. Because if we were to distribute it by megatonnage, and TBM's proposal was adopted, then people would be able to game the system by firing large numbers of very low-power nukes and get a higher hit percentage even with an SDI playing goalie, so to speak.

TBM's proposal seems pretty reasonable to me, but it just seems too easy to game the system if we divide available nukes by megatonnage as Jeff suggested. Although, come to think of it, it would make sense for a nation to be able to decide if they want to spread the fissile material they have on hand between a smaller number of big bombs or a larger number of small bombs.

I think what might be less prone to abuse is if we simply let each nation decide what proportion of their 20-25 nukes are tactical and which are strategic. Limiting the nukes to a set number also prevents people from launching dozens of Little Boys or Fat Men in an attempt to overwhelm the enemy SDI.

I do not think this is how probability works. 60% chance of interception, with a true RNG, means that approximately 60% of the missiles are shot down, be that 6 out of 10 or 600 out of 1,000. You don't get a magically higher percentage, just because you fire more, only if you are lucky and get more than 60% in (which has about the same chance as getting less than 60% in). And the more nukes fly, the closer it actually gets to 60%.

The sole probability that increases if you fire 1,000 small nuclear missiles is not that they hit, but that the GMs will curse you for making them roll about 40 times the number of SDI rolls they'd have to do, if you just stick with 25.

I will suggest a single compromise: if you want to split up and have a bunch of different explosions, you have to sit and do all of the math yourself any time you nuke anybody. I don't see why I should have to sit and do hours and hours of running nuke simulations for someone else to have an annoying way of delivering their payload.

This is getting too complicated.

1 IG nuke = 1 IC nuke

SDIs get a 60% chance

Non-SDI nations that utilize a RL operational system get a 20% chance

If you wanna do anything fancy with your nukes in regards to tonnage, then that's your deal, you do the math. Don't expect another player to figure it out for you when a war comes along.

This is getting too complicated.

1 IG nuke = 1 IC nuke
SDIs get a 60% chance
Non-SDI nations that utilize a RL operational system get a 20% chance
If you wanna do anything fancy with your nukes in regards to tonnage, then that's your deal, you do the math. Don't expect another player to figure it out for you when a war comes along.

I agree with all of this. And considering we're going to be allowing people their own 20% chance at blocking nukes, I feel like we can just scrap letting people "share" their SDIs or shoot at nukes not aimed at them, and cut down on that complication.