Reforged in Flames

After the first wave of nuclear missiles was detected, an immediate order went out to the Second Artillery Corps to retaliate. To President Huang and the political and military leadership of the Republic it was quite clear who did it, though it seemed still way overboard. It could be no mere reaction, this was indeed the start of a nuclear war, most likely intented at crippling China to the point it could no longer act and would fall to a later Japanese invasion. Whatever the plan was however, the Republic would retaliate and so fifteen nuclear ballistic missiles, each tipped with a five megaton thermonuclear warhead set for a surface detonation, was sent on its way to take out the Japanese nation as a threat, as well as to hit the Philippines, the sole other country that was regarded as a country with hostile intentions.

This however did not address the matter that soon thereafter, two waves of nuclear missiles was heading for China, with a total of twenty-three aimed at Republican population centers. Ballistic missile defense systems would kick into action, but with every target having at least two missiles inbound, the system quicly was overwhelmed and apart from Shenzen, every targetted location was hit by either a five or twenty megaton nuclear warhead, wiping out millions of people and affecting millions more. Nine population centers had been struck, in a completely unreasonable counter-value strike.

While hardly anything could be done prior to the attack, with only a small timeframe to act, the immediate response would be an immense national effort. Police and disaster relief units would start to be dispatched from unaffected regions, with NBC equipment to rescue potential survivors. Medical equipment would be brought in, and handed out in camps outside the affected area, where the survivors would be gathered. The camps would be kept dispersed in all directions, to allow evacuation into multiple directions, as well as to prevent them getting hit in further nuclear waves from Japanese or allies.

The numbers of casualties were hardly available, as the situation was far from ordered and ever more survivors would be brought from the ruins, requiring aid. All that was known was that China would no longer be the same as before. The President herself was about to be evacuated, when the Japanese nuclear strike pretty much obliterated Xi'an and the pressure wave caused the convoy to roll over a couple of time just outside of the city. While an immediate search mission retrieved some people, the exact fate would not be disclosed by the government at that time. The government itself didn't have many members any more either, the cabinet having not fully survived such disaster. With the second highest ranking cabinet member however not being present either, the power would go to the Minister of Internal Security, Yao Liangying.

Without much hesitation, Yao would prepare a speech. From an undisclosed location, a radio broadcast would go out to the Chinese people and the world. From loudspeakers all over South China it would be heard.

"Greetings. It is with utmost sorrow, that I hereby have to announce that our proud nation has come under attack of the most despicable kind. Today, the Japanese Empire, which has declared war on us just a short time prior, has decided to launch two waves of overall fourty nuclear missiles at the Chinese nation in a first strike to murder our people, with a follow-on strike to make sure as many were dead as possible. This murderous mass slaughter which we can only attest to the historically proven record of Japanese affinity for genociding our people has been answered by the launch of fifteen nuclear missiles in retaliation and it is with disgust that we have to note that the Japanese cannot help it but paint themselves as the victims. It is also with sorrow that I have to announce that the President of our proud Republic has been incapacitated by this cowardly attack on our people at large and that for the time being, executive power has been transferred to my person, Yao Liangying, as Minister of Internal Security. As the situation can no longer be adressed within the limits of constitutional power, I hereby declare that until the crisis we are facing here has been overcome, the Chinese nation will be in a state of emergency. As we will not let go unanswered the Japanese intention to utterly wipe out our population, your country expects of each Chinese to give his or her all to preserve China, or to ensure that Japan pays in kind for what it has done to our people. The Chinese Republic shall not let this attack slide until Japan ends both the genocide on our people and the occupation of Chinese soil. This has now become a total war and as such it shall be waged. Our government, recognising that we are not the sole affected by this disaster, hereby offer also the the Shanghai government and our Northern Chinese brothers and sisters its help in overcoming the crisis and we of course welcome anyone who wants to contribute to the national effort of China to save its people from the hazards posed by the radioactive threat. Dozens of millions may already be dead, but millions more struggle for their survival and we will do whatever we can to save every single life of our citizens that can be salvaged. China will have two wars to fight, both will be brutal and will take their toll, but neither Japanese oppression nor radioactivity shall end our nation that has seen disaster already so many times. Let us pray for the victims and do everything to ensure they do not become many more."

A confidential note would be sent to the Northern Chinese government, to arrange a meeting between the surviving governments.

Amidst their own destruction at the hands of the Japanese, members of the Imperial Family sought refuge in bunkers throughout the nation. Millions were dead with millions more expected to die as relief teams did their best to save lives from this act of pure hatred and aggression. Alongside this, large swathes of the Family had died quickly, including the Empress herself.

However, these acts of nuclear terrorism served to strengthen the bonds between the common Chinese person, and some people weren't even surprised - the first Japanese Imperium had committed countless atrocities, and its second coming had wasted no time in making its own mark.

In response to the Republic of China's request, Lingqi Lu, Jiang's successor, was sent. There, she would meet with their officials inside an underground bunker in an undisclosed location. Clad in the typical armour of her late father with her cross pike to her back, she looked like she would be better seen in a battlefield, rather than a meeting room.

Edited by Horo the Wise Wolf

The new Empress of the north would be saluted by two guards flanking the entrance to the main conference, as she entered. Within the room, a dim artificial light had to illuminate the room and only barely managed to do so. In the back of the room a giant map of Greater China was looming over any assembly held, with a flag of the Republic to its left and the five-coloured flag to the right. Directly in front of the map, at a modest table, sat Yao Liangying, standing up, as she witnessed the guest.

Wearing traditional Han clothing, Yao raised one of her long sleeves covering her mouth as she spoke. "So, I see, the Northern Empress also has not escaped the effects of the disaster unharmed." Using the other arm to gesture towards a chair, Yao respectfully nodded and added. "It seems pretty clear that special circumstances require special measures to address the."

"No, Madame, none of us have. Millions have died, millions more will die, and our China will have more scars to add to its collection.", said Lingqi, placing her weapon down and sitting in the chair. "I can only hope for the rescue efforts with Lady Huang to be successful; it would be devastating to lose both of our leaders in this time of strife."

"Alas, the Japanese will pay. Not only do they strike us first, but they then have the audacity to claim that they are the victims. Truly, t'is what I'd expect from dogs such as themselves."

Hearing of the fate of the Northern government, Yao was silent for a moment, before continuing. "Indeed. This issue has taken on more the nature of a total war of extermination than a mere Imperialistic campaign to take Taiwan. One has to wonder what people are thinking to start a nuclear war like this." Yao sighed. A short glance would be given to a report that she seemed to have read before. "Well, the whole thing is a mystery, and if Professor Xi is to be believed, the mysteries keep on piling."

With one quick move of her hand, Yao sent the report gliding over the smooth table surface to Lu Lingqi. "Sites at Wuhan, Quangzhou and elsewhere, where we were hit by the first wave have shown to have a different composition in samples taken, than the majority of clearly Japanese nuclear attacks. While the Republic doesn't exclude the possibility of Japan having two different uranium processing plants, the overall signatures could as well mean a different origin. Of course, one would hope that such knowledge be kept confidential." Yao looked at the new Empress sternly, the implications of the matter being clear without need to voice them. Yao Liangying had served quite a few years in the cabinet of Huang and the Republic, without appearing publicly, except for maybe half a dozen group photos, where she'd be smiling in the background. And just like that, she also now seemed to rather work on a basis of holding back what she saw as unnecessary and revealing only what was necessary. That was not to say she beat around the bush much, if needed, she was more than direct.

"Honestly, one of my greatest regrets is that we missed Tokyo. Maybe with a greater loss, they'd be more inclined to keep their mouths shut, lest they breath in the radioactive air unfiltered. But I guess that could be adressed at some point after the ceasefire ends. I guess your military still has a sizeable stockpile to launch? While it might be better for all participants if the Japanese devils just left Taiwan and Hong Kong, it seems they cannot let go of their unreasonable claims, even if it means that millions more would die. It really is hard to view states as rational actors here any longer."

Lingqi was silent as she read the report, and thought about its contents. She sighed, nodded, and placed it back on the table.

"The Japanese do not seem to understand the position they are in. But, do not forget that we also have to tussle with France. Still, they naught but a blip in the Pacific, and can be dealt with with ease. Should they make a stupid move, I would be more than happy to wash their people in cleansing fire. The ceasefire is not permanent."

Lingqi sat back and sighed; she was too young for this.

"Well, if the French do send their missiles our way, then, and only then, should we think about a 'cleansing fire'. The nuclear exchange is between China and the Japanese. If France wants to have part in the mutual destruction... they'd be pretty dumb. Our country already is prepared to attempt another strike on Tokyo, but Paris still is well within range." Yao sighed, thinking about it. "But we all aren't in the greatest of spots. At this point, I would expect Japan to get out of our country, but seemingly, they rather have Tokyo burn than release Taiwan. What a shame..."

Empress MEI of Shanghai would later reach out to the Northern and Southern Chinese governments requesting a meeting with them to discuss what has been happening since the nuclear attack and try to find a way to unite them all into one Great Chinese Empire.

A message would be sent back, stating that the Republic hailed the efforts towards unification, that however it would be appreciated if such a meeting take place on the grounds of Shanghai (the country), so the host could be honoured too and as it was hoped that Shanghai come under no further attack by outside countries.

Lingqi shrugged. "The Japanese have not exactly been the epitome of rationality."

Empress MEI of Shanghai would later reach out to the Northern and Southern Chinese governments requesting a meeting with them to discuss what has been happening since the nuclear attack and try to find a way to unite them all into one Great Chinese Empire.

The Empire of China would send a positive message in return.

The Empress's main HQ to the south of the runied city would be cleaned up a bit to get ready for their guest/guests (depending on who shows up). "I want things to look pretty good but they also need to see how we got hit hard in the nuclear attack as well." She would then wait for her guests to arrive.

When they arrived in Shanghai at the Empress's HQ outside of the ruined city they would be greeted and brought to the meeting room inside. "I am Empress Mei, queen to the late Emperor Brian who died in the initial nuclear strike when this war started. Now in this time of war allies are needed more than even which is why this would be the best time for us to finally unite in the face of our enemies. For a long time Shanghai has remained neutral when disputes broke out in the region but since the attack we have realized that will no longer be possible and we must unite against the great evil which is trying to kill us all."

Mei knew about the nuclear attacks Japan did against China after the Chinese nuked them in retaliation for the initial strike but Mei didn't believe that it was initially caused by the Japanese. She was worried that some other power was rising and saw China as a threat it tried to exterminate. "Although Japan might seem like our main threat right now I do not believe it was them who caused the initial strike. A few minutes before the nukes hit we caught them on radar and found out that the nukes were actually fired from the southwest in the direction of the Middle East and Africa. Even now I already have my best Special Forces team heading in that direction to find the ones responsible for the attack and bring them here dead or alive. As for how I can help both of you I can give you the support of my military in the defense of China should we be attacked on our soil again and help aid in the cleanup and rebuilding efforts once the fighting is all over."

Lu Yulong would wonder for a moment. "The first attack did come from the Pacific though. I do not know why you would think it would not be the Japanese. However, the Republic appreciates your offer and would be very willing to coordinate efforts with your government in defense of our sovereign Chinese soil and to help the people affected by this nuclear catastrophe."

"We have also seen the report and believe it is accurate to a point. The nukes launched at China from Japan came AFTER nukes were launched at Japan from China. However we have been monitoring these things since the crisis over Hong Kong and Taiwan originally started and we have found out it was not the Japanese that launched the nukes first but some other third party that launched them from some sort of nuclear submarine. We have the coordinates of where the nukes were launched from but can tell the missiles that hit Shanghai originally were probably not Japanese. We also have samples which we would like to send to the Kingdom of Axum for them to analyze which will hopefully reveal who the initial attacker was."

She shows them the report that had the coordinates of where the sub was when the nukes were launched. "We have no idea what happened to the sub or whatever it was that launched those nukes but this report should help in figuring out who the real attacker is."

In the bunker

Yao would ponder for a short while, before turning to Lingqi again. "I think, the whole matter has demonstrated, that the Japanese and the world cannot be dealt with in our current state. China has been weakened, our respective leadership has been taken out, we are in a national and political crisis. I think, drastic measures ought to be taken. With the current situation... I think the Tang dynasty may have a great opportunity to shine. If it grasps it."

Yao crossed her arms, as she leaned back. "The country is in a state of emergency, the political structures are shaken. I think, for the foreseeable future, no better chance will present itself to overcome the divisions within China. And for the Tang dynasty, martyrs in both our countries, it might be the chance to claim a throne for all of China."

"Oh, I am no Imperial. I think you know your family register. I am merely thinking of China.", Yao would state, raising her hand to hide her mouth with the long sleeve. "And I am not doing this just for the Empire. I do expect that there will be a future place for a party within a unified China. As well as for a Prime Minister..."