To: Northlands Foreign Affairs Office

In light of our recent dealings outside of one-on-one international relations, France would like to request privilege to send a diplomatic envoy to you, our neighbors to the North. We would discuss issues of international trade, immigration, tourism between our nations, and border security within the bounds of the meeting, as well as any other issues which may come up as a result of any of the aforementioned topics. We hope to hear from you promptly in order to most expediently prepare an envoy for travel.

Signed,

~Francoise Ouibliant

To: French Foreign Affairs Office

The Northlands is willing to host a meeting between our two nations in Noordenwind. We have much to discuss, as you have noted. Preparations will be made for your arrival, and visas will be issued for the entire French delegation. We look forward to discussing the future relationship and cooperation between our nations.

Respectfully,

Alexandre Lemaitre

Minister for the Office of Foreign Affairs

To: Northlands Foreign Affairs Office

I look forward to seeing you there.

~Francoise Ouibliant

The French delegates arrived in Noordenwind after a short flight, the French Foreign Minister stepping out of the plane onto the Tarmac and admiring the scenery around the airport, as limited as it was.

The Minister and staff would be greeted at the airport and driven to the foreign affairs compound in the government sector of the city. Lemaitre was waiting for the delegation in a conference room, where seats and refreshments had already been prepared. Lemaitre greeted his counterpart and the others that had just arrived.

"Good afternoon," he said in fluent french, albeit with a slight accent. He had grown up in french-speaking Belgium. "Mr. Ouibliant, it's a pleasure meeting your acquaintance. I appreciate your coming to Noordenwind and I trust your flight was enjoyable. While our relations with your government have been somewhat limited thus far, we believe that the agreement reached in Berlin suggests there is much room for cooperation between our people. Due to our status as bordering neighbors it makes sense that we discuss pertinent issues like trade, tourism, and security between France and the Northlands. Please, as you were the one that requested this meeting, feel free to choose the subject you wish to discuss first."

"We should start with trade and tourism, I always prefer to discuss the civilian element before moving on to military matters." Francoise says, "Since our border now extends far within Germany we'd be in favor of a sort of open-border policy with your nation to facilitate more convenient travel between us and make trade all the easier. Speaking of trade, I think we could agree that a reduction of tariffs would be mutually beneficial."

Lemaitre carefully considered Ouibliant's words before replying. "While our borders have been extended with the recent collapse of Germany, we don't believe an open borders policy would be the most prudent decision at this point. I believe that would be best for when we are long-established neighbors with a history of cooperation and trust as opposed to the more nascent relationship we currently have. We don't distrust you, but we believe that some border security will be needed, especially with a very much unknown European landscape and reports of violence in Alvonian controlled Germany. 

That being said, we do support the reduction of tariffs between our nation for many industries. Our agricultural sector is still being developed and lowering of tariffs for crops, produce, and wine would unfortunately not be realistic at this time, proving to be a notable exception.

In order to promote tourism and trade, we support a bilateral agreement which allows for the lowering of tariffs excepting certain industries outlined by our governments. We would also be open to lifting some of the precautions we require at our border, in a reciprocal manner, to encourage travel between our nations. One example would be not requiring visas for visits under 30 days."

"You drive a hard deal but I can see your reasoning. Fair, we can agree to these terms. We understand your need to protect certain sectors of your industrial complex and border security is indeed a large concern these days, especially since it seems that the Germans are somewhat rowdy in their objections. We can hold up our part of this deal but I'd not be truthful if I said that her Highness would be quite satisfied by them."

"It would be a mistake to assume that this agreement is permanent. I, and the government I represent, see this as the beginning and hopefully a foundation for more collaboration in the future. Assuming the lifted border restrictions and trade we agree to today prove to benefit both of our nations in the coming months, it would make sense for us to renegotiate further reductions in border controls and trade between our nations. Our nations share a long and storied history and trade between our nations should continue to grow as our nations and industries become more established.

It seems we've reached a consensus on these topics? Perhaps we can move forward to a security arrangement between our nations, as that is also pertinent to any reductions in border controls that will occur in the future. I'm optimistic our nations can eventually work together on matters of defense given our geographical proximity. The Northlands would be interested in a non-aggression pact between our nations, or some sort of optional defense agreement if that is something your government is interested in."

Edited by California

"Excellent. Let's proceed with an optional defense agreement, including an affirmation of non-aggression. Ideally there should be time to request and provide support should it be required, but I believe it would also be wise to allow for the possibility of immediate, emergency defensive aid should one of our nations come under a surprise attack. As realistically, the Northlands would be most likely to activate the accord when the sovereignty of our integral homeland was being threatened.

It seems we have come to agreement on economic and security arrangements for the time being between our nations. I would like to suggest we meet once again in one year's time to determine how, if found prudent, to upgrade any of our agreements."

"On a different matter, I would like to inquire on the recent actions of France on the global stage as a soon-to-be treaty partner. On principle we have no qualms with your actions elsewhere such as Switzerland and Canada, but we can't help but notice the amount of global bad will it has generated. Perhaps you could allay my concerns about the repercussions this may cause for European nations in general?"

Edited by California

"The European community shouldn't be faulted for the actions of France unless they all begin to engage in such things en masse." he says, looking a bit worn at the mention of France's present foreign policy, "Although my Empress is alarmed herself by the speed and ferocity of the reaction. We won't be engaging in such things for much longer after the present task is completed. I think a year would be an appropriate time to schedule a repeat of this."

French-Northlands Non-Aggression Pact and Trade Agreement

Preamble:

France and the Northlands agree to the following provisions laid out in the mutually-agreed upon pact. Both nations remain fully sovereign states and sign this treaty in the hopes that better relations may be attained for the greater peace, prosperity, and good of these two nations.

Article 1: Nonaggression & Intelligence

The states of France and the Northlands agree to a pact of non-aggression, and will not interfere or step into the soil of the other nation when not specifically requested. Nor will either signatory illegally spy, destabilize, or in any other way attempt to bring harm to the other. France and the Northlands agree to disclose and share any relevant intelligence and information.

Article 2: Free Trade Economic Policy

The states of France and the Northlands pledge to improve trade with each other and promote economic policies that forward this goal. Both nation agree to reduce and eliminate tariffs and other taxes on goods, except for agreed upon exemptions. 

Article 3: Tourism & Borders

The states of France and the Northlands pledge to improve tourism between each other and promote border policies that forward this goal. Both nation agree to eliminate visas for visits under thirty days in duration and agree to mutual reduction in border controls.

Article 4: Cancellation

Should either signatory wish to leave the obligations of this treaty, a notice must be given at least seventy-two hours in advance. The signatories agree to renegotiate this treaty in one year.

Signed for France,

Signed for the Northlands,

Lemaitre took a freshly printed document and slid it to the man across the table. "How does this look? I will bring this to the King and High Council for it to be officially ratified by my nation."

"I believe this was a very productive meeting and I look forward to working more with you in the future. Were there any other issues you wished to discuss?"

Francoise signs the paper, "I think so as well. I don't think I've got anything more for you for the time being, but if I think of anything that might mutually benefit our nations and wouldn't be offensive to you, I'll make sure to give you a call." Francoise offers a handshake and a smile, genuinely happy to have concluded a positive deal, especially with what the Empress had been planning a mere few months before.