Italy and France

lkfht

TO: French Foreign Ministry

The Italian ambassador to France, Hon. Lorenzo Rizzuto requests a meeting with Imperatrice des Français Jeanne de LaQueu to further bilateral relations and to work closely in European affairs. Please notify us of your confirmation at the earliest time.

- Foreign Minister Melissa Manzi

To: Italian Foreign Ministry

L'Imperatrice is presently busy with matters of administration, notably the reorganization of the military under a new hierarchy and the restitution of several imperial systems. While she would enjoy greatly to meet with the Ambassador at the present time, it is simply not within the schedule to do so. However, this is not to say that a meeting could not still occur between his Excellency the Ambassador and a lesser member of the state administration.

~Foreign Affairs Minister Francoise Ouibliant

TO: French Foreign Ministry

The Italian ambassador to France, Hon. Lorenzo Rizzuto, would be honored to meet with any member of the French government in order to facilitate friendly relations.

- Foreign Minister Melissa Manzi

To: Italian Foreign Ministry

I would be honored to receive him personally, he is welcome to set an appointment with my office for any date at any time, my schedule shall move for him.

~Foreign Affairs Minister Francoise Ouibliant

After arranging the date and time for the meeting with the French Foreign Minister, Ambassador Lorenzo Rizzuto would arrive at the Foreign Ministry office. Upon entering he and his entourage would make its way to the awaiting French official in the hopes of soon beginning very important talks.

Ouibliant stands as the Ambassador enters and shakes his hand, as per custom, "Your Excellency, what is it you've come here to speak with me about?" he says with a smile, "I'm sorry you couldn't make the appointment with the Empress, she's a bit busy at the present time."

"I come to you today here in Paris to discuss my government's concerns regarding French military actions taken in recent days. Rome is seriously worried about Paris' military incursion into sovereign Italian soil in the "Swiss" lands. As well as naval actions in the Mediterranean near the Suez Canal. Italy hopes to find a peaceful and respectful resolution to these areas of concern as soon as possible."

[spoiler]The Capital of France, in this game, is Orleans[/spoiler]

"I see." he leans forward on the table, his face very serious as he considers carefully what he's about to say, "Well. To address the first point: France recognizes Italy's move into Swiss Sovereign territory, however, the French speaking lands, should the Swiss state cease to be, by right should be absorbed into the state with which they identify the most. As far as my Empress is concerned, you cannot claim ownership over a land without first justifying your action and, more importantly, putting boots on the ground there."

"But on the second point I can be more frank, it is not any of the business of the Italian state what we do in the Mediterranean so long as it is not in and around Italian waters, and the French Second Fleet has passed through nothing but international waters to get to where it is now, which, admittedly, is back in the direction it came."

"Actually Rome is not directly criticizing Orleans' naval activity in the Mediterranean. We actually believe that the French navy has every right to ass through an international waterway, specifically the Suez Canal. The precedent neighboring countries have set is that the Suez can now be held hostage and continual Euro-Afro trade throughout the region is threatened by a few nations. In concern to the Swiss lands Italy is willing to negotiate around them. Italy proposes that the newly acquired French and Italian Swiss lands remain non-militarized in the interest of keeping European peace and cooperation."

"Oh." he says, pausing, "Well, I feel as if I could have been less frank then. My apologies if I came across as uncouth." he clears his throat, "I think it would be acceptable to leave the Swiss lands demilitarized. It would assuage the concerns of the international community about their supposed neutrality, I know that. And believe me, the Empress is also highly concerned that the Suez will be held as a diplomatic weapon, we would rather it didn't fall into the sorts of hands that would do a thing like that but we aren't prepared to prevent it."

"Then we are in agreement concerning the Swiss lands. I will have a formal agreement drafted later today for both our delegations to review. The Suez must be open for international trade and not used as a means of sabotage. In concern to an overall agreement between our two countries, would France be open to future joint military exercises, officer exchange programs, and other benefits?"

Italian-French Optional Defense and Security Cooperation Pact

Preamble

The two countries of Europe, the Republic of Italy and France, will do their best to maintain and defend the words of this treaty and uphold the dignity and honor of each other.

Article 1 - Peace

Both signatories pledge a state of constant and continuous non-aggression between each other. Neither nation will conduct espionage, invade, blockade, embargo, share false intelligence, withhold important intelligence or otherwise harm the other.

Article 2 - Military Cooperation

Section 1 - Optional Defense

If, at any time, either nation is invaded, spied on or attacked in any way, the other is highly encouraged to act in the vocal and physical defense of the victim but is not required to. Neither nation, however, will side with the enemy of the other vocally or physically.

Section 2- Joint Military Actions

Both signatory parties agree to to strengthen ties between their two armed forces. This could include, but is not limited to; officer exchanges, joint military exercises, joint training, communication between relevant defense institutions, and other basic frameworks for strategic cooperation.

Article 3 - Economic Cooperation

Both signatories will fairly engage in commerce with each other and will not embargo or impose unfair tariffs unless it be on products prohibited by law. Neither nation will conduct trade with a foreign nation that is at war with one of the signatory of this treaty.

Article 4 - Intelligence

Both nations will share gathered intelligence if it pertains to the national security of the other on economic, political, counter-intelligence or military terms. While not required, both nations are encouraged to share all noteworthy intelligence with each other; especially that regarding Europe.

Article 5 - The Swiss Lands

Section 1 - Governance

The Italian and French Swiss borders are to be recognized by both parties and no signatory is to attempt to annex the other part.

Section 2 - Military Presence

Unless later terms are made, the armed forces of both nations are to remain outside of the Swiss lands which are to be considered a demilitarized zone.

Article 6 - Cancellation

Should either signatory feel that this agreement is no longer in their best interests, they may cancel the treaty by giving a 1 year warning notice of the cancellation of the treaty. After this warning notice has passed, the treaty is then null and void and the signatories no longer have to abide by its terms.

For Republic of Italy:

For France:

"Thoughts?"

Edited by lkfht

After the French foreign minister signed the document, Ambassador Lorenzo Rizzuto would do the same.

"If there is nothing else to discuss, I will leave so as to allow you to continue your most important work."