Italy and the Vatican

lkfht

After confirmation was sent from Cardinal Michael da Vinci, Secretary of State of the Holy See, the Italian President would prepare to go to Vatican City once again. President Adriano Marcellino along with a small delegation would take the Presidential Helicopter and land at the Vatican's heliport. Upon arriving the President would step out and make his way to the awaiting Vatican officials.

Cardinal Gabriel Amerigo, President of The Pontifical Commission for The Vatican, was the Catholic country's equivalent to a Prime Minister. When Pope Anthony would be busy with his religious duties Cardinal Amergio ran the day to day operations of Vatican City and of the entire country as a whole. The pope had taken a more proactive approach to ruling, but the Cardinal was still important nonetheless. Alsong with the President, Cardinal Michael da Vinci waited outside by the helipad with a few other members of clergy. A small honor guard of Swiss Guardsmen stood at attention a short distance from where the Italian helicopter landed. Meanwhile, members of the Gendarmeria were armed around the premises to ensure security. 

When the President would step out, Cardinal Amerigo would shake the President's hand and Cardinal da Vinci would do the same. "Good evening mister President!" shouted Amerigo over the blades of the chopper as it slowly died down. "Welcome to Vatican City! I am sure you already know Cardinal da Vinci. Please come inside, the Holy Father is looking forward to meeting you." The President would be allowed inside, as would his delegation who would only have to go through minimal security. 

320px-DSCF2185-Vatican_Pope%27s_Windows-

The Cardinals would bring the President to the door of Anthony's private residence. Amerigo knocked seven times and then the door cracked open. A nun opened the door and smiled and the small party outside. "Greetings Mister President, I am Sister Patricia, one of the Holy Father's advisers. Please come in." She moved aside and allowed President Marcellino and the Cardinals to enter. She brought them through the apartment and finally to Anthony's private study. A place not many people had been to before, but Anthony felt it was appropriate to use for the Italian President. Unlike the study seen on TV when Head's of State would meet with a pontiff, this study was truly used by the Holy Father and somewhat more eloquent and artistic.

Sister Patricia offered Marcellino water and offered him a seat in front of the Pope's desk before respectfully bowing and backing to the door, "The Cardinals and I will leave you two to talk, Mister President. His Holiness will be inside momentarily." Patricia and the Cardinals left the room. The air conditioner kicked in just as they left, making the room a bit more chilly than it was before. A small clock in the room ticked and ticked and ticked before marking 5:00 PM. The bells of St. Peter's Basilica rang with might at a beautiful tone and marked the hour. At the conclusion of the bells, Pope Anthony entered the room and lightly closed the door behind him. "Good evening, President of the great Italian State," Anthony said with a warm smile.   

"Why thank you your Eminence. I look forward to seeing His Holiness at today's meeting."

As the President and Italian delegation made its way to the Pope's private residence, Marcellino would gaze around in awe at the historical architecture and art that surrounded him. After sitting down at the desk, President Marcellino would wait patiently for the Holy Father. Once he arrived the President would stand and reply, "The pleasure is all mine your Holiness. I hope that today's meeting may foster closer relations between the Holy See and Italy. If you don't mind Holy Father, but I would like to inquire into what your opinion is of the growing political and military tension in Europe?"

Edited by lkfht

The pontiff of the Roman Church sat behind his desk and folded his hands before the president. Anthony was the youngest Pope in modern history, having been elected at a very trivial time in global history that had not been seen since the dark ages when the Roman Empire fell into oblivion. At 33, Anthony had a long life ahead of him with the Church and plenty of time to learn, but he was not simply elected leader of Christ's Church for being handsome. 

"We are just past a turning point in history; we have made the corner, so to speak. But now, those of us who were under Athens either want to take their place or are scared and afraid of what will happen next and are resorting to arms out of fear and preparation. Nothing good can come from war on this continent, Adriano. Nothing. But I fear conflict is inevitable. It is not the will of God for war and murder to happen, but He gave us the gift of free will - a gift we abuse on a hourly basis - but a gift He knows we would be nothing without it. Adriano, there are so many nations in this new Europe - The Vatican being one of them. So many are leaders of their own right but few have the skills to keep peace and use diplomacy before war. Italy and France may be, as of now, the two most stable countries in our changing world. I hope you understand the power and trust God has put into you and your administration; trust that you will keep Europe as peaceful as possible and defend His Church from harm." 

Anthony folded his hands to his chin as his lips stopped moving and silence fell into the room. 

"Your Holiness, I will take your words close to heart and I promise to you and to God that I will do everything possible to protect European peace. I have noticed that the Holy See has expanded its sovereign territory beyond the boundaries recognized by our 1929 Treaty. This expansionism is somewhat of concern to several members of my government in Rome."

"What has been done has been done to protect the faithful and defend the defenseless. The Gendarmerie and Swiss Guard were sent to islands where governments called for the assistance and protection of the Holy See. I the only true act of expansion taken by the Vatican itself was Antarctica... What is being done there is to help the sick. Research that could help save millions of lives born and unborn, including your life and mine. What are the concerns of the Italian Republic?" 

"I see your Holiness. Well I hope that you may be a voice for peace and stability in this world, especially Europe. I want you to understand though that Italy will not recognize the sovereignty of newly acquired land by the Holy See that is rightfully Italy's in violation of our 1929 Treaty of boundaries. The lands that the Holy See has acquired outside Italy however will be recognized."

Pope Anthony nodded and was happy the both had heard each other's side of what they had to say. "The Castle St. Angelo has always been historically connected to the Church for a long time because of its past history, however it has a present need for the country of the Vatican and the Holy See together. An invaluable structure that allows for the consecration of Swiss Guardsmen into their allegiance to their Church, a quiet place for scholars to study, and an important place for the scholarly to continue their works. It is important to the Church that we continue these works in Rome and as close to where the Holy See is centered as possible. However, I will not be the pontiff who turns his back on the great Italian Republic or the people who comprise it. I do not believe that a few acres of land, which will benefit Christ's Church greatly, will inhibit Italy in any shape or form. I am not asking for charity, I would be more than happy to pull funds from the Vatican Bank to pay for these small lands, but I ask you as a believer in God to understand why these few extra acres are needed. I see no reason why we could not have a Lateran Treaty of 2200."