New Babylon - The Northlands

Zoot Zoot

Ambassador Sir Johan van der Bijl would receive a summons to the Imperial Palace in New Babylon within two weeks of his arrival to the city for a meeting with his assigned counterpart, Ambassador Balashi Hunzuu at his earliest convenience.

To: Ambassador Sir Johan van der Bijl, The Northlands
From: Ambassador Balashi Hunzuu, The Empire of Babylon, Foreign Affairs Department

I extend to you an invitation to the Imperial Palace to hold a meeting with myself to discuss the beginings of diplomatic relations between our nations amongst other things.

If you contact my office with a date and time for your convenience, all the arrangments will be made for your transport and pass to the Palace as well as food and drink to be made available customized to any dietary requirements you may have.

OOC

Last part basically means skip to the meeting.

Sir Johan van der Bijl had been selected as ambassador due to his status as a seasoned veteran of the Foreign Affairs corps. The sheer size and strength of Babylon made it particularly important for proper representation especially at such a nascent time in the Northlands history. Sir van der Bijl had no sooner presented his diplomatic credentials to the head of state in New Babylon when he was notified that he had been summoned to meet his counterpart to begin discussions between the two nations. 

As these things tended to go, the special accommodations and passes provided to the ambassador ensured that he was not bogged down in bureaucratic administration. He soon found himself in the palace alongside Ambassador Hunzuu, enjoying the nice scotch which had been afforded him by his host. 

"Ambassador Hunzuu, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance and sit here representing the Northlands. As a new nation, we are treading carefully and hoping to start relations with other well meaning countries, knowing that friendship allows for a lasting, mutually beneficial relationship. I am interested to hear what you wish to discuss this evening Mr. Hunzuu."

Hunzuu would reach for his own drink and wet his mouth before begining to speak.

"Sir Johan, welcome to New Babylon, a pleasure to meet you to. New Babylon is not as new as you would believe, but after the great collapse and the years between then and now, we kept our existence a secret whilst we rebuilt, fought amongst ourselves for dominance until the Holy Emperor saved us from the darkness and here we sit" came the reply, a small sigh of ectasy released at the mention of the God Emperor.

"A mutually beneficial relationship is what it says on the tin, it works well for both our states ambassador. First and formost a free trade agreement should be drawn up and observed by us both to get the lifeblood of the world flowing. Secondly, would you mind telling me about your nations history, its political direction and plans for the future?"

Sir Johan maintained a steady face as the man spoke. He was somewhat amused by the ambassadors reaction upon mentioning his leader's name. Even after decades on the job each days had its surprises. He smiled and nodded when the man finished.

"The Northlands finds the prospect of a trade treaty with the Babylonian Empire amenable. Our heavy industry capacity is in the process of being gradually increased and we recently discovered new silver and mineral mines thanks to advances in technology. An exception may need to be made for agricultural and wine products as we are just now beginning to reaffirm our commitment and support for this aspect of our economy, however I'm sure we will be able to work out the particular details for such an arrangement.

The Northlands is a new nation in terms of current government structure, however the history of our lands is rich and deep. It is only recently the various city-states and constituencies have agreed to live under the operation of our state. The government is run by our king, William IV, with the support and guidance of a class of men and women raised and taught to run and manage the various institutions, departments, and organs. A small advisory council elected by knowledgeable land owners provides oversight particularly in the realm of domestic affairs. 

It should come as no surprise that our current military strength and expenditure is currently quite low as we maintain security via a strong network of state police. We believe disputes should be attempted to be resolved via diplomacy and strive to avoid aggressive military action in foreign affairs. Our current plans consist of an inward look towards shoring up our economic and defensive position. We hope to act as a stabilizing voice for European affairs. 

What are the future plans and goals for your own nation?"

"The immediate and long term plans of the Empire are the same, to preserve the peace and stability our region and ensuring the security of our friends and allies. Trade links and economic networking is paramount to Imperial interests on a global scale. We have no links to Europe yet, with talks concluded with North America and some just begining in Asia, the Northlands stands to benefit greatly from any relationship with the Empire that we establish the foundation of today."

"This is encouraging to hear. Traditionally our region has been a thriving center of commerce, and we too are just beginning to negotiate trade agreements with other nations in the world. Forming a strong European and Asian trade connection could be highly profitable for both our states. 

Perhaps you could expand on the main industries in your nation, particularly ones you envision playing a role in a free trade agreement. Are there any such goods or products you foresee requiring an exception in such an agreement?

Based on both our positions as peace seeking nations desiring more commerce, I would like to propose a free trade agreement between our nations. The ports of the Netherlands provide crucial materials and power to our economy, and the more ships in our ports, the better. 

Additionally, I would propose a non-aggression treaty between our nations for the time being. While we are mainly focused on regional affairs in Europe and you seem to be focused on the Middle East, I believe that it was very much serve bettering our relations to solidify their nature in a NAP. What are your thoughts on such an agreement? Ideally, we could re-examine the nature of our friendship, particularly in the realm of defense, in the upcoming years as our nations become more established and grounded in the world."

"This is encouraging to hear. Traditionally our region has been a thriving center of commerce, and we too are just beginning to negotiate trade agreements with other nations in the world. Forming a strong European and Asian trade connection could be highly profitable for both our states. 

Perhaps you could expand on the main industries in your nation, particularly ones you envision playing a role in a free trade agreement. Are there any such goods or products you foresee requiring an exception in such an agreement?

Based on both our positions as peace seeking nations desiring more commerce, I would like to propose a free trade agreement between our nations. The ports of the Netherlands provide crucial materials and power to our economy, and the more ships in our ports, the better. 

Additionally, I would propose a non-aggression treaty between our nations for the time being. While we are mainly focused on regional affairs in Europe and you seem to be focused on the Middle East, I believe that it was very much serve bettering our relations to solidify their nature in a NAP. What are your thoughts on such an agreement? Ideally, we could re-examine the nature of our friendship, particularly in the realm of defense, in the upcoming years as our nations become more established and grounded in the world."

"Our industries are mainly petrochemical based and heavy industry. Our past wars to gain our present borders in the age of strife created a massive industrial complex. We specialize in the mass production of weaponry, well mass production of assets that have a military application. The flipside of the coin is that most things with a military application have a duel application in the civilian world, which is what three quarters of the factories are geared towards at the moment. But the factories that remain geared for military application can still churn out more things than most other states in existance at the moment." said Ishtar proudly.

"I am more than happy to sign a free trade agreement and a non aggression pact between us both".

"Excellent," said van der Bijl as he reviewed the documents that had been printed and brought out the men. He signed the standard free trade and non-aggression agreements, which would be sent back to the High Council and King for formal ratification. He hummed his approval and looked back up at his counterpart.

"Our Office of Defense officials will be in communication shortly regarding purchase of military equipment and supplies. I'm sure this is the beginning of a very fruitful relationship between our nations. Is there anything else you wished to discuss?"