Imperial Decree from the New Pacific Order

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine job you did Farrin.  Couldn't ask for a better ally or friend. 

Congrats Letum, maybe you can turn the tide of this perpetual anti-NPO hate that seems to ooze up to the surface when someone wants a CB.

Frawley, sure is a blast from the past!  Best of luck guys!

I won't count him out, primarily because I am finding it quite difficult to hold onto all of these grudges nowadays.  But Pacifica's latest transgression is relatively recent in world history, so it's an uphill battle.

I won't count him out, primarily because I am finding it quite difficult to hold onto all of these grudges nowadays.  But Pacifica's latest transgression is relatively recent in world history, so it's an uphill battle.

The Emperor embodies the Order; Brehon represented the Order then, not today. This is a central concept of Autocratic Democracy. With a new Emperor I consider the Order to be completely different than it was during either the Disorder War or Equilibrium. In my eyes, the Order has a clean slate absolved of its neo-imperialist past.

The Emperor embodies the Order; Brehon represented the Order then, not today. This is a central concept of Autocratic Democracy. With a new Emperor I consider the Order to be completely different than it was during either the Disorder War or Equilibrium. In my eyes, the Order has a clean slate absolved of its neo-imperialist past.

Yes, and that's all fair and good, but when you realize that Pacifica can spin on a dime when a new Emperor comes to power, that lends itself to reliability and trust issues.  It is even more worrisome when it is known that at least some of her members have the capacity to screw people over at the first available opportunity.  And lets be real, it's not like Brehon went in alone on that, he at least had the advisement of the IO's, I am certain.

If the Emperor embodies the Order, then it is the Body Republic which must change to effect a change of the character of the Order, not a change of Emperors, who would, by your terms, be embodying the same Body.  If the Order is completely different the moment a new Emperor is coronated, then it cannot be that he embodies the Order, because nothing happens to the Body Republic simply because a new person is in charge.

Rather, democratic autocracy means that the Emperor rules supreme, but that each individual is "voting" by remaining within the Order, or by leaving it.  The Emperor is constrained, then, by the limits of what the BR will accept rather than by law (because, if he goes too far or is incompetent, he will have nobody left to rule)--that is democratic autocracy.

As for clean slates, they are obtained not by change of administration, but by war, completion of terms, and/or change of policy or heart.  In the past, Letum was a fierce defender of some of his predecessors' most irksome incidents.  Perhaps that was a function of his position in the food chain, perhaps it was conviction, but regardless of which, now's the time to show what he really thinks.

I'm not a change/sorrow griefer.  The most idiotic part of the post-Karma and PB/DH eras were the constant harping on NPO to prove change--I worked with NPO after it was trendy (you and Fran) and before it was cool (TLR, C&G) because/when NPO was an alliance worth working with.  NPO must simply conduct its business with a respect for allies and confederates, and success will return to NPO as it did, briefly, before, or else it will leave NPO, as we saw.

And so best of luck, Letum.

Edited by Schattenmann

Farrin, my friend, do enjoy your well-deserved retirement from the seat of the Emperor! It was certainly an honor to work together with you, and you have served Pacifica faithfully, always a stalwart ally.
o/ Imperator Emeratus Farrin

Letum and Frawley, congratulations on being appointed to your respective positions! Your past accomplishments speak for themselves, and may they be foreshadowing for the dawn of great things!
o/ Emperor Letum
o/ Regent Frawley
o/ Pacifica

Yes, and that's all fair and good, but when you realize that Pacifica can spin on a dime when a new Emperor comes to power, that lends itself to reliability and trust issues.  It is even more worrisome when it is known that at least some of her members have the capacity to screw people over at the first available opportunity.  And lets be real, it's not like Brehon went in alone on that, he at least had the advisement of the IO's, I am certain.

If the Emperor embodies the Order, then it is the Body Republic which must change to effect a change of the character of the Order, not a change of Emperors, who would, by your terms, be embodying the same Body.  If the Order is completely different the moment a new Emperor is coronated, then it cannot be that he embodies the Order, because nothing happens to the Body Republic simply because a new person is in charge.

Rather, democratic autocracy means that the Emperor rules supreme, but that each individual is "voting" by remaining within the Order, or by leaving it.  The Emperor is constrained, then, by the limits of what the BR will accept rather than by law (because, if he goes too far or is incompetent, he will have nobody left to rule)--that is democratic autocracy.

As for clean slates, they are obtained not by change of administration, but by war, completion of terms, and/or change of policy or heart.  In the past, Letum was a fierce defender of some of his predecessors' most irksome incidents.  Perhaps that was a function of his position in the food chain, perhaps it was conviction, but regardless of which, now's the time to show what he really thinks.

I'm not a change/sorrow griefer.  The most idiotic part of the post-Karma and PB/DH eras were the constant harping on NPO to prove change.  NPO must simply conduct its business with a respect for allies and confederates, and success will return to NPO as it did, briefly, before, or else it will leave NPO, as we saw.

For all intents and purposes, the Emperor is the Order, and the Body Republic is simply an extension of his will. This is regardless of Body Republic members, or Officers, or Doctrine; all of these can be influenced and changed by the Emperor. There is a deeper meaning to Democratic Autocracy than simple free association; the Order should be considered more like a living body in which Emperor's Will represents the mind and soul of the alliance, an embodiment of will. Weak Emperors represent a Weak Order; Strong Emperors represent a Strong Order.

Replacing an Emperor is like replacing a brain. If you swapped a different consciousness out of the body, would it still be the same person? It wouldn't. I say look at NPO with fresh eyes and let's see what path the new Emperor choses to take.

Edited by Tywin Lannister

Replacing an Emperor is like replacing a brain. If you swapped a different consciousness out of the body, would it still be the same person? It wouldn't. 

I have a strange feeling most people frequenting this forum wish they could replace your consciousness with something less annoying. Maybe a cake would suffice.

I have a strange feeling most people frequenting this forum wish they could replace your consciousness with something less annoying. Maybe a cake would suffice.

I do enjoy a good cake.

To others, Thank you for wishing us well.

Well... I like this one. Farrin served the Order well. Being a former Pacifican myself, I respect anyone who can take over such a position, lots of responsibility involved. That being said.. I look forward to the economic greatness that Pacifica can reach. 

o7 Farrin

o7 Letum

o7 NPO 

Even though Farrin will be missed, he has left the alliance in good hands.

o/ Emperor Farrin
o/ Emperor Letum
o/ Regent Frawley

Pacifica Prevails.

I'm not a change/sorrow griefer.  The most idiotic part of the post-Karma and PB/DH eras were the constant harping on NPO to prove change--I worked with NPO after it was trendy (you and Fran) and before it was cool (TLR, C&G) because/when NPO was an alliance worth working with.  NPO must simply conduct its business with a respect for allies and confederates, and success will return to NPO as it did, briefly, before, or else it will leave NPO, as we saw.

It's not too often I agree with Schatt, but I can support this in its entirety as response to Tywin.

Congrats on the retirement, Farrin.

Congrats on the ascension, Letum.

I look forward to the coming months of 2014. 

o/ New Pacific Order

o/ Emeritus Farrin

o/ Emperor Letum