CNRP2 OOC Thread

Uberstein

​I was actually thinking the other day that perhaps there should be a rule that when a war is being conducted, the participants only have 48 hours to respond to each other. This means that if there is a question in someone's post, a GM reviews it and makes a decision - that's it. There is none of this arguing for three days to make one post. I think that would help keep things moving along. Not everyone would get their way every time, but it sure would keep the ball rolling. What we have right now is some type of disgusting bureaucratic crap that is most certainly not deserving of being called RolePlay, let alone CyberNationsRolePlay. 

I'd like to think that'd be a bit unreasonable. While I do find it excessive that some people need about three weeks to respond, I would think that 48 hours is a bit short and might be problematic. 7 days, if enforced, works decently well. Also, if you have it 48 hours and a great deal is decided by GMs, that could be problematic if posts are overly vague. Take for example Rudolph's first response to the war, which includes no location, no force count, no data on what missiles are being used, a lot of things are pretty vague. If a GM has to interpret such a post, they'd be making up at least half of what's actually important (from where, did how many troops project what firepower). If in such a case the RPer responds, it is an argument between the two parties at war. If however the GM has to come up with things, it might be that there'd be bad choices and the GM is blamed for issues, getting kind of involved.

Not to mention, GMs are elected by the community without criteria to have any clue on war whatsoever. If a post was not actually that unclear, but the GM just has no idea, then it'd be an issue. For example, Yeru requested to know from me what one of my ship classes was, as I of course don't use the real name, given my ships carry Romanian names. If I had not been available for 48 hours and the GM would have to rule, they might not know what I was using and would have to make up a ship class. Issue is, I spacified the ship class already somewhere in my news, so it'd be an argument thereafter, why the GM made one up and... goodness, we'd have even more arguing.

What should however absolutely be encouraged, in my opinion, is that the parties to a dispute talk to each other. I requested information for my post from Rudolph and Yeru, without success for about a week, before I went to Ty, because they'd not reply. They afterwards both did not contact me with inquiries, but went to Ty again, because, I don't know, it's not like Ty just will go and pass questions on, as he can't do much but ask me. Given Ty's general inactivity, I think two weeks passed, before the matter landed before Voodoo, who just created a PM convo. Since, then, there's a direct contact between the parties at war, while Voodoo pretty much only oversees things like autos, as we kind of figured out the rest. In the end though, the question remains, as to why we needed to ask via Ty and couldn't talk to each other from the beginning.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GMs aren't required to have a clue about this technospam. All these issues could be solved with a 50/50 dice roll if the rpers refuse to come to an agreement. 

GMs need to stop fixing people's problems for them and start insist on people growing up and fixing their own broken crap. GMs facilitate and try to help rp move forward, they do so in a variety of ways. Yet, the majority of the responsibility for the rp and fixing issues is on the rpers. 

Incompetence coalition rolled in and hucked a bunch of rocks at the Incoherent coalition and now both sides are screaming, "DURP" at the top of their lungs. Which is fine, because in the long run that's all they really want to do anyway, scream at each other oocly. 

I'm kind of with Eva.  I queried FHIC on her last post and got quite a few things clarified then didn't get much response when it came to some more disagreeing stuff.  I made the same effort with Mara and Lyn.  Certainly Lyn was pretty civil though a bit stand offish at first, and FHIC was good at first.  But I don't think the problem extends to both sides to the same degree.  All our coalition members tried to address things on a timely basis, were available for IRC query, never stormed out of meetings etc.  The same can't be said in reverse.  We're in this in part because two sides foster mutual antagonisms, but there's no doubt that those antagonisms stem from one side being live and let live with the past, and one side holding very long term grudges.  If the Tricent Hegemony as you like to call it was bound by long term grudges the Tricent Hegemony would be at perpetual war with itself.  

The other issue is simply a question of thing things can and cannot do.  A large part of the objections center around no ineffective tactics but unworkable tactics.  This could on one hand be addressed if one of us says, 'This defense doesn't work you still get hit and here's why' or 'this airplane does not have the capability to engage someone from here and here's why' OR it can be explained OOC.  Either way people bitch.  However, its not on us to make sure the adversary doesn't RP god modding offense and defense, its on them, what is on us is to show a reason why and why not.  Just because Mogar doesn't know what he's doing when he throws up a wall of missile spam, doesn't mean I need to lose or not be able to use tactics to defeat it.  And yes tactics involve technology and maneuver.  

I'd also point out that the environment under which this would be occurring would be significantly better if the other side were more mature and at least kept their shitting off public channels.  I got plenty of after they posted the first move 'Oh Triyun's lying about his life, his degree etc.'  then after my response, 'HURRRRR why do I have to fight against Triyun at this level he has a degree' from literally the exact same people.  I've got no motivation to be nice to people like that, and it is not something that is particularly historic to CN RP, its a new phenomena with this coalition of theirs and a new low of behavior.  I don't recall EM, Kanks, Cochin, Martens, or I ever doing that to eachother.  Then there are attacks on Voodoo's GMing.  Every experience I've had with Voodoo's GMing he's asked me whomever I'm having a disagreement to state our case and present evidence.  What I see is merely the fact that he listens to my case and my evidence results immediately in him being called bias.  The other respondents rarely then state their case or present contradicting evidence to support their claim.  They just attack him.  So if he rules for me because I'm the only one who presented evidence that's reinforcing his bias.  That's a ludicrous notion.  Weighing cases on evidence presented is the only way not to be bias.  To weigh a case based on whether or not you like someone is bias, but there has been no case where Voodoo has done that, and he was accused as bias right off the bat.  That's just dragging things into the mud.  You want to fix the problem look at the blurring lines there.  I'm not going to go out of my way to help people who are assholes get a less lopsided ass whoopin' :P 

48 hours = 2 days. Is that really unreasonable? Sometime within 2 days they should be able to get on and make 1 post, I mean, seriously. I am on board with PD here.

In regards to the last page conversation, in real life, if a there is a nation you do not like, sure you can not recognize them, but you can't avoid them. If they attack you, you can't ignore it. If they go to war with an ally. If they are moving into your protectorate, you can't just ignore them. Is this not what it is about, a simulator? A role-play?

Also, seriously? How much OOC does it take to role-play? Other forums I play on for other rp, nobody has made a post in OOC in days. This could likely be because it is a governed game. It is organized.

48 hours = 2 days. Is that really unreasonable? Sometime within 2 days they should be able to get on and make 1 post, I mean, seriously. I am on board with PD here.

In regards to the last page conversation, in real life, if a there is a nation you do not like, sure you can not recognize them, but you can't avoid them. If they attack you, you can't ignore it. If they go to war with an ally. If they are moving into your protectorate, you can't just ignore them. Is this not what it is about, a simulator? A role-play?

Also, seriously? How much OOC does it take to role-play? Other forums I play on for other rp, nobody has made a post in OOC in days. This could likely be because it is a governed game. It is organized.

Yeah, you know most of us have lives beyond this game right?  I'm a college student and typically that means throughout the week I have homework, papers and studying to do.  Others of us have jobs.  Our lives don't just magically make room for some forum based nation role play game.    A week is a very reasonable time frame for posting.

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

Yeah, you know most of us have lives beyond this game right?  I'm a college student and typically that means throughout the week I have homework, papers and studying to do.  Others of us have jobs.  Our lives don't just magically make room for some forum based nation role play game.    A week is a very reasonable time frame for posting.

This. Though I personally normally can find the time to make a post within a day or two, most people require quite some time to come up with a reply and write it down, not to mention, one might have questions and people are not available to answer to them 24/7. A week is a good timeframe. People normally also don't post last minute, but after a few days.

Seeing as how good RP and prior planning is worth nothing in the face of technobabble and mega-weapons, yeah, why not? At least wars wouldn't be "who complains the longest".

I've seen that thrown around a lot, good rp. But when you ask 10 people what they actually mean with it you get 10 different answers.

I've seen that thrown around a lot, good rp. But when you ask 10 people what they actually mean with it you get 10 different answers.

But then you force everyone else to follow your idea of "good" RP, in order to actually do anything militarily.