Rise of the Baltic Union of Ubersteinia

Uberstein

UbersteinianFlag.png

"Let it be known that the nations of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania have united under common cause of Ubersteinianism. May the father of this glorious ideology, President Erwin von Uberstein, lead us forever forward in progress and peace! Our flag shows our unity! Blood, purity, and the fields of green and gold! All hail Ubersteinia!"

Uberstein2.jpg

Glorious Father of the Nation, President Erwin von Uberstein

"In order to insure the safety and peace of Eastern Europe, Ubersteinia hereby announces a protectorate over Poland and Belarus. These territories will be ensured independent rule by the armed forces of Ubersteinia." -President Erwin von Uberstein.

Diplomatic Note from Sverige

We recognize the authority of your nation, and offer our hand in friendship towards your nation. We also wish to extend our deepest apologies to the fact that we have had to close the Danish Straights due to our ongoing war with Novgorod. Their aggressive actions have led us into armed conflict, and as such we cannot allow any ships through that might bring them supplies that would allow them to bear weapons of war against our people. We will offer to reimburse any lost wages from delayed shipments to your people, as well as offer food and medical supplies from our own nation in replacement for delayed shipments due to this war.

The security guard would not take kindly to a somebody with a sword asking to meet with the President, and following protocol, and asked for all weapons to be left at the front desk with him.

If they complied with this, they would soon be brought to President Uberstein's personal office within Riga Castle, where he would greet each of them with a firm handshake, "Gentlemen, welcome to Riga. I don't get many visitors from South America."

Edited by Uberstein

The security guard would not take kindly to a somebody with a sword asking to meet with the President, and following protocol, and asked for all weapons to be left at the front desk with him.

If they complied with this, they would soon be brought to President Uberstein's personal office within Riga Castle, where he would greet each of them with a firm handshake, "Gentlemen, welcome to Riga. I don't get many visitors from South America."

The Moashan looked over to his Vellasian counterpart. The Vallas emissary smiled and nodded, and in barely audible Auroran

It is alright, brother. The sword would be the least of their worries.

The Moashan nodded, and began removing the sword from his side. He never broke eye contact from the security guard as his hands move in a flurry of grace and accuracy that could only imply that the very tying of something as insignificant as a sword to a uniform was taken with great seriousness to the Aurorans, as the sword was motionless throughout the entire affair. Within moments, the Moashan had untied the ritual band that bound him to his ceremonial weapon, flipped the sheathed sword from his side into his hands (folding the fabric mid twist), and bowed presenting the sword to the guard

We will be back for it, the Vellasian added as the guard was about to take the weapon. Do not get too attached to it, his warm smile and friendly tone attempting to convey no ill feelings to the guard. 

As they were lead into the room, they were greeted by a very charismatic gentlman. The Vellasian, familiar with the handshake, accepted with equal firmness. As was expected, the Moashan held back (several feet) and turned about face to stand facing the wall. Although, he didn't take his eyes off the handshake to ensure it was nothing more than a greeting.

You'll have to forgive his stalwart disposition, Mr President, the Vellasian said still smiling exuberantly but he is of House Moash, and they are neither accustomed nor trained to handle diplomatic engagements. They are on security detail, and that will be, through pain of death, the extent of his limitations. Throughout the entirety of that sentence, the Vellasian humored the very subject of death  with a serenity in tone as though it were an option to have cream with his coffee. He bows and presents the President with the box he had been holding firmly since their arrival.

This is for you from our Emperor and his consulate. We would like to extend our gratitude for acknowledging our existence before the international community. We believed we would have to forge a new identity as our ancestors did, through struggle, blood, and war. However, hearing the affirming cry of the world behind our sovereign identity instilled us with new cause to live. The citizens of our Empire were happy to hear of those nations who stood by us in solidarity. Each House Mundokiir has fashioned a gift for all the world's leaders who risked their own political capital to support our rise as a nation. We do not take such a gift for granted.

[i]The Vellasian warmly motions for the President to sit,[/i] Please Mr. President, make yourself comfortable while I explain the contents of this box at your leisure.

Edited by Ovidsidios

President Uberstein leaned against the front of his desk, "The world is rising from ashes, it would be only a step in the wrong direction to not give every government the chance to prove itself. Please, continue." He motioned towards the box.

The Vellasian, in exuberant candor, sets the box down next the president, turning it so the front of box was facing the presidents left side.

It is traditional, when an Emperor is enthroned, that the surrounding lands are sent a symbol of the Emperor’s house in order to establish both ruling right and to open positive relations. However, during our occupation this tradition was removed with the death of our emperor.

Our historical documents spoke of a land once divided into five precincts for each individual house. In our current day and age, that land has been reduced to a single country and the five houses have meditated much over the meaning of this state of affairs. Therefore, it is with a new interpretation of our recently emerging identity that we, instead of five separate houses, are one unified empire.

His turns the box 90° to reveal the set jewels laid out to form the Uberteinian Flag. He rotates the box 180° in the same direction to show the other single set jewel and translates the words “Eye of Fury”, before turning the box full circle and opening the lid.

The words, Eye of Fury, is the name our house leaders take when they reach the highest honor of Mundokiir. It symbolizes that we are the children of warrior gods. Often our enemies demonize our history as being one of war mongering and cannibalism. The Vellasian paused and looked at the President, with a smile that adds a hint of drama and suspense before continuing on unabated, but in truth, we were born of great struggle that is demonstrable in not only our very natures as creatures upon this planet, but in the very planet itself. Just as you have found that it is necessary for a country to be competent in warfare in order to ensure your political existence, so too we share that we must be uncompromising in our discipline if we are to ensure our ultimate survival

His hands point to the golden letters melted into the inside lid. There are two columns, one which holds the Auroran words and in the second column the more vernacular translation.

These words are sacred words from our holiest texts, The Mat’Te’Se, and as nonmember of House Dani, am forbidden to utter them here. However, they are a stanza taken from our epic prose:

And night fell upon the fractured world,

Where upon its despairing face,

Fell fire and fury.

And from the clash of sundered darkness

Were born the children of the world,

And they were Archindar

Which means ‘Never Dying’.

He took another pause as if letting the words themselves settle into every crevice of the room. He didn’t want to hold the silence for very long (and in truth it was seconds at best) but every Auroran knows the words and the story. The emotion that overcomes them is more often than not very difficult to ignore. Yet, he presses on moving into the box and removing an item covered in a bright crimson covered fabric. When he set it upon the table, fabric drapes over the elevated edge revealing only the bottom half of a small cushion equal in vibrancy of color. He did not remove the fabric, but instead reached within the box and removed a matching set of golden wings. He very carefully attached a thin golden chain unifying the wings. When the chain had fastened both wings, a tiny mechanism within each wings clicked causing springs to expand the wings causing smaller wings to drop out of a small canal once hidden in its compact form. The accessory seemed to come alive and spread its wings as though it were a bird.

He very respectfully and cautiously looped the necklace over the presidents had resting it perfectly on his shoulders. The Golden wings framed his face with such aesthetic complementation, that even in his current attire, he looked deific in splendor.

The wings are a symbol of admittance into our Empire. Our Emperor has decreed that no foreigner shall be allowed to step foot into our lands who do not carry the Moashan Wings of Liberating Strife. So long as you wear these wings upon reaching our lands, you will be granted admittance to all areas save the holy sights [sic], where our ancestors and gods once walked the earth together.

When he noticed the President fiddling with the necklace, he very gingerly removed the fabric, there lay resting on the pillow one of the most ornate dagger, bearing the House Heraan emblem on its hilt, an Auroran smith would ever have the honor of producing. When the reflected light off of the dagger’s precious metal, and the glimmering jewels and fine embroidered design had caught the President’s eye, the Vellasian dropped down to one knee.

pray Mr. President you will not find offense, as this is our most difficult tradition to explain. Because we value the combat as the highest form of discipline, all emperors provide regional leaders with a dagger forged in their own blood. By accepting this dagger, you acknowledge our Emperor as your Blood Enemy.

The Vellasian looks up from his knelt position and catches the President’s quizzical look,

We pay you homage here and wish you no ill will. Within our tradition Blood Enemies will ensure the survival of their foes until such time open, fair, combat can be achieved. This is not to say that our Emperor seeks to do battle with your highness sometime in the distant future, rather it is a promise that an Emperor would never cowardly resort to assassinations to end his enemies. Our Honor forbids such dark practice, and in truth, this royal dagger ensures, so long as an emperor holds breathe, you will never succumb to such a fate. We hope you will accept this gift in the spirit that our Emperor will never seek your demise in methods dark and dishonorable.

The Vellasian rises and extends a hand in pure fellowship.

If this pleases you, Mr. President, this is the conclusion of the ceremony. We pray that these gifts are to your liking, for the very Mundokiir’s of each house fashioned them for you.

The room seemed to become lighter in spirit with the conclusion of the ceremony. Indeed, the very gravity that beset all parties in the room since their arrival had noticeably lifted, and the Vellasian emissary had seemingly lost all roles of importance, appearing, in feeling, before the President as a long forgotten friend.

President Uberstein watched most of the ceremony with amusement. He had never been a superstitious man, but he fully understood the political reality behind it all. He reached out and gently lifted the dagger from the cushion, inspecting it for only a moment before speaking, "Gentlemen, you and your Emperor have honored me to near speechlessness. I'm afraid I don't have any ceremonial items to return to you, but I accept the meaning behind this dagger. The world lacks many people of honor and conviction, and I am glad to hear I would find such an ally in the Auroran Emperor."

He put the dagger down on the desk, "Likewise, the Baltic Union is open to Aurorans, and you two are free to reside in Riga Castle until a proper embassy has been built. I'm certain that this is the beginning of a true friendship."

• 2 weeks later...

President Uberstein watched most of the ceremony with amusement. He had never been a superstitious man, but he fully understood the political reality behind it all. He reached out and gently lifted the dagger from the cushion, inspecting it for only a moment before speaking, "Gentlemen, you and your Emperor have honored me to near speechlessness. I'm afraid I don't have any ceremonial items to return to you, but I accept the meaning behind this dagger. The world lacks many people of honor and conviction, and I am glad to hear I would find such an ally in the Auroran Emperor."

He put the dagger down on the desk, "Likewise, the Baltic Union is open to Aurorans, and you two are free to reside in Riga Castle until a proper embassy has been built. I'm certain that this is the beginning of a true friendship."

The Vellasian smiled warmly, nodding his head enthusiastically.

“That would please us very much. I am so recent an initiate to the Vellasian Order of Septii Anaas[1] and this so happens to be my first diplomatic assignment as well as my first expedition out of my country. I was hoping to indulge myself in the honors and beauties of your homeland. I have learned much in the little time since our liberation, however, beyond the great oceans, I have never been.”

He looked back to his Moashan security guard.

In Auroran

This leader has accepted our stay. We will proceed as ordered, however, I would first like to behold the splendors of his realm.

The Moashan nodded.

Do not delay. Once we were received, we have our priorities ordained for us. You may indulge in the free time you have, but then I must insist we return, as you are not the Vellasian I was asigned to protect.

It took all the might and fortitude of this man to maintain the act he had thought to have so masterfully performed. He was young, but for his age, he was incredibly talented and disciplined. But he had been discovered, although the Moashan didn't seem accusatory. The guard slackened his posture, and seemed almost entirely relaxed as he shifted most of his weight to his side. It seems that the tables had been turned.

You may peruse the city, and I will protect you as is my duty as Mundokiir to protect all Aurorans of House Moash, Moashan.

The Moashan had been rousted from his hole, like a fox routed by a torch, but he was shocked even more that he had not recognized the Mundokiir this entire time. The thought of the experience must have so blinded his perception, that to know the Mundokiir stood before him was truly stunning. He bowed and turned back to the President. His composure unfaltering.

We are happy to agree to your proposal.

He turns and begins walking out of the office. Once parallel to the Mundokiir, the Moashan swiveld, nonchalantly, and both Aurorans proceeded in step with the other.

In Auroran

Where do you plan on visiting in your stay here? the Mundokiir asked as they walked into the midday sun. The man looked down at his grumbling stomach, and looking across the street in both directions, replied,

How about finding something to eat. I hadn't realized how long that flight was.

The Mundokiir nodded as a very low grumble affirmed  his agreement

Good idea.

How about there?

By your lead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]  (which means, “they who speak”; traditionally meant to be voice of the Mundokiir, later adopted to serve as liaisons to neighboring houses. This role was retired shortly before the purge wars, and later reinstated after the creation of House Vellas.)

The peaceful nations of Hungary and Slovakia politely and formally petition the government of Ubersteinia to reconsider unnecessary and alarming build up of troops along the Poland-Slovakia and Poland-Hungary borders.

Such a build-up would not cause unnecessary alarm and worry amongst our peaceful populace, but would burden our still fragile economy and quite possibly cause it harm.

We also cordially offer a Non-Aggression Treaty and mutual trade with the nation of Ubersteinia.

Edited by Euphaia

The peaceful nations of Hungary and Slovakia politely and formally petition the government of Ubersteinia to reconsider unnecessary and alarming build up of troops along the Poland-Slovakia and Poland-Hungary borders.

Such a build-up would not cause unnecessary alarm and worry amongst our peaceful populace, but would burden our still fragile economy and quite possibly cause it harm.

We also cordially offer a Non-Aggression Treaty and mutual trade with the nation of Ubersteinia.

Private to Hungary-Slovakia:

We do apologize for any alarm caused by our movements in the Poland protectorate. Rest assured, the forces on the border are minimal, and the majority of exercises are taking place well within the protectorate.

A Non-Aggression and Free Trade treaty are a splendid idea, and the Baltic Union will send an ambassador to Hungary shortly to discuss such a treaty. ((OOC: I'll make a thread when I'm not hungry and tired. :P ))