The Failure of Smug Moral Authority

Captain Enema

Mogadishu

Most of the Kingdom of Axum tend to view things like the International World Court, the United Nations, and most Non-governmental organizations with a bleak eye. Where was the United Nations Security Council when the world needed it ten years ago? The permanent members were busy consuming each other like a pack of starving cannibals let loose on crowd of all you can eat buffet patrons. The moral authority and responsibility which they wielded had been entirely for their own self-serving interests and the world had suffered greatly for it.

King Beckwith examines the map in front of him as he considers the future carefully. Africa had done its share of suffering, it had served as a crossroads for the collision of two mighty empires during the war. Nukes, biological weapons, human wave attacks, genocides, and all manner of horror had been unleashed on the dark continent. Legion had stood its ground, it had watched as several of its cities were steam rolled under by the violence of war, but Legion had prevailed as it acted as a shield bearer to thousands who could not protect themselves.

With new governments rising in Africa, King Beckwith decides to invite them to share in securing the future of Africa. The nurturing of new governments is of the greatest importance to the King and by default the rest of the Kingdom. This desire to watch Africans assume control of their destinies rather than living in the bleakness of anarchy as the King's Legions acts as a band aid against the worst excesses of humanity is a desire the King hopes his new neighbors will share.

To that end a message is sent:

To: Abd al-Malik Iqbal El-Amin and Jakobus Swart

I wish to invite both of you to Mogadishu for a meeting regarding the security and prosperity of our nations. Further, I wish to speak with you on the subject of preventing the establishment of foreign colonies in Africa, which has been a problem in the past.

King Beckwith

It was a mild, yet breezy afternoon. Warmth radiated from the sky, the ground, and the civic architecture all around. Energy was in the air; it was not tense, but rather calming and resolute. President El-Amin sat outside his luxurious presidential mansion, sorting through correspondence, as he usually does each day after dinner. One message in particular stood out to him. It was from King Beckwith of Axum, who had invited the Republic to take place in a multilateral meeting with other nations who had interests on the African continent. He looked up for a moment and laughed; despite the large amount of holdings of the Republic on the African continent, the true culture of the nation in the eyes of Abd al-Malik was that of Arabia. Just a day prior, communications had been opened with the Bedouin militias who would potentially provide the nation with the prestige and honor that comes from stewardship of the Holy city of Mecca.

Still, President El-Amin was a rather pragmatic man; as all good politicians are, he thought. Perhaps this opportunity could be used to make gains with the opposition parties based in Africa across the Bab-el-Mandeb from Aden, where his National Republican party had very little support. Djiboutian separatists regularly carried out small-scale attacks on government institutions, and this could be a perfect opportunity to take the wind from their sails. Additionally, Abd al-Malik knew all too well what colonialism from the European powers could do to a nation such as his, and accordingly he was very much interested in securing and expanding his great nation of the Red Sea. Without even bothering to consult his advisers, President El-Amin knew the only sensible course of action was to attempt a greater partnership with the Kingdom on the Republic's southern border which seemed friendly, but was relatively unknown to the members of government.

He endeavored to respond quickly and succinctly to the message;

To: King Beckwith of the Kingdom of Axum

Thank you for your invitation. I will personally be attending this conference of yours.

Until then.

Signed,
President Abd al-Malik Iqbal El-Amin of the Red Sea Republic

Edited by Hereno

Politics, politics is something Jakobus Swart never liked. People could be to easily be persuaded to accept someones elses opinion without thinking to much about it. Jakobus feels the most at home when leading an army into battle, the independence war against the colonial masters for him is still very real. Besides that threat of the colonial masters returning there was the fear of rebellion and anarchy.

In the late afternoon Jakobus received a telegram, it was several days late because of the bureaucratic machine that was setup just recently is as all bureaucratic machines very slow. To top that it had to be translated to his native language Afrikaans. Most translator had decided to leave when the war started, there was also the problem of finding reliably translators that would not compromise national security.

"I wish to invite both of you to Mogadishu for a meeting regarding the security and prosperity of our nations. Further, I wish to speak with you on the subject of preventing the establishment of foreign colonies in Africa, which has been a problem in the past."

While Jakobus was more for isolation and self preservation this was a offer good enough to be accepted. It would however present a decent security risk, with the turmoil in the country he only rarely wandered from pre-checked places.

He sat by the table that had a lamp on it and a typewriter. It's 2014 but still typewriters were prefered. With a typewrite you know for sure nobody expect the personal that needed to pass it on would read it. After 30 minutes a white piece of paper was placed in a envelope and handed to a servant. It would probably take several days to reach it destination.

To: King Beckwith
We wish to thank you for the invitation, we think this meeting will deal with many subjects we find important. Security however does not allow my personal attendance but a close representative will be attending in my place.
Jakobus Swart

Edited by xoindotnler

King Beckwith has the pertinent information on flight corridors, security arrangements, and the venue location transmitted to both parties. He then sets up his powerpoint display and waits for the others to arrive.

ooc- just show up and let's get this going. We'll do some after-party style rp but I'd rather just get to the talking part. 

Danie Snyman had only been recently appointed to the diplomatic corpse. While most of his career life he has been fighting for the army or in pubs, he needed a career change when his wife started to have kids. He was chosen for his wit, be mainly because he was loyal. If you couldn't be trusted in the Cape Republic you wouldn't make it far, you would end up doing some desk job in a town so far from the civilized world that you wouldn't recognize a car after a while. Rumors existed about people that had loose lips or showed behavior that could be seen as disloyal would just disappear. Danie was the smart kind of guy that knew questioning it would bring him more problems than it would be worth.

Danie was handed down a usual diplomatic job, attending of meetings and conferences abroad. It wasn't that hard of a job to do, you would mainly take notes and once in a while nod, rarely he would even have the privilege to sign a document. Criticism because of recent political events has been a bit on the increase, but as a diplomat you brush it off easily.

The trip to Kingdom of Axum was well managed by the staff of King Beckwith, compared to the flight and car trip the room they were in now was a bit dull. There wasn't really a need to make the room pretty as the lights would be off most of the time while the powerpoint display was used.

"Mr. Snyman, welcome to the Kingdom, we are delighted to have you here. The Kingdom of Axum, Legion before the Kingdom, have a long history of involvement in your part of Africa. Some of it good, some of it not so good. You have roughly 40,000 of the Kingdom's Legionnaires based to your north in an old African Union Pact Firebase. Call upon them if you ever need assistance with rogue groups in the protected lands. 

Enough of that sort of thing, how are things in where you hail from?"

"A party of national unity has been created that reflects all opinions and voices of the nation. We are still dealing with the aftermath of the war of independence from the colonial master, the army is doing a great job wiping out the last pocket of foreign agent provocateurs.

We expected that in a few years the Cape Republic will be the example of a nation in africa that successfully freed itself from its colonial chains."

Somewhere in Mogadishu

A relatively small party of 10 persons made their way down the runway of the private jet in which President El-Amin of the Red Sea Republic had grown more and more used to over the last few months. Accompanied by six guards armed with the latest of anti-rebel Republican technology, an interpreter and two trusted secretaries for documentation, the presidential entourage were quickly herded into a large limousine by the government of Axum and driven promptly to the scene of the meeting. A man of status, Abd al-Malik casually slithered through the foyer and halls until coming upon the room of the hour. With a nod to the parties who were already there, he sat down in a chair that seemed as though it were made just for him, flanked on either side by his party who waited nervously for further instruction.

Edited by Hereno

Somewhere in Mogadishu

A relatively small party of 10 persons made their way down the runway of the private jet in which President El-Amin of the Red Sea Republic had grown more and more used to over the last few months. Accompanied by six guards armed with the latest of anti-rebel Republican technology, an interpreter and two trusted secretaries for documentation, the presidential entourage were quickly herded into a large limousine by the government of Axum and driven promptly to the scene of the meeting. A man of status, Abd al-Malik casually slithered through the foyer and halls until coming upon the room of the hour. With a nod to the parties who were already there, he sat down in a chair that seemed as though it were made just for him, flanked on either side by his party who waited nervously for further instruction.

"Welcome to the Kingdom President El-Amin. I just asked Mr. Synman his thoughts on foreign encroachment in Africa. Your nation holding land in Africa and the nearby Arabian peninsula make your thoughts on this matter of interest to me as well."

"Welcome to the Kingdom President El-Amin. I just asked Mr. Synman his thoughts on foreign encroachment in Africa. Your nation holding land in Africa and the nearby Arabian peninsula make your thoughts on this matter of interest to me as well."

Of course. Historically, even going back to Muhammad (PBUH) himself, the persons of East Africa have been proud allies of the Arabians and Muslims, with many black Africans becoming proper Muslims themselves. Not only in the Maghreb, but across the entire continent. Indeed, the Somali people have taken to Islam with all of the furor of converts; many of whom reside in the great nation of Axum which has, under your leadership, decided to host this pan-African conference. It is very important to us in the Republic to preserve the friendship between Arabs and Africans, and to further the brotherhood between not only Muslim-majority nations, but between all of those nations who were carved up like fruit for the grubby hands of the white devils in the Northern continent. It is through solidarity and mutual cooperation that we can preserve our states and their resources for themselves and foster a new golden age. And it is with these goals that I accepted and now enter into discussion with my fellow leaders with territory on the African continent.

Edited by Hereno

"I say this, Africa for Africans, and well of course a few good Arabians as well it seems. Legion.. err.. I mean the Kingdom will fight to keep Africa free of foreign colonialism. We will work together with our fellow nations to ensure that African people are not subverted to the whims of wandering groups of adventuring foreigners wishing to set up unwanted minority governments to satisfy their sick need for power. What we ask, is will you help us fight when the time comes to do so?"

The Republic is not a particularly wargoing nation; we are committed to peace. It is because of this commitment that I would be willing to bring the Republic to war on behalf of the protection of Africa. We are very much aware the consequences of collaboration with imperialists. Allowing them to get a foothold here close to home will only bring multitudes more and make it that much easy for them to wage war against our ways and our people. While I can only declare war with a rubber stamp from our House of Representatives, I assure the conference that the Red Sea Republic will not stand idly by while the seeds of our destruction are sown in the fields right next door to us.

"This certainly isn't the only thing I wish to speak with you both about, but for now, how about we take a break? Being a King has a few perks, not many, but on occasion I can sneak away to do some fishing. Shall we head for the royal yacht, drop some lines in the water, and have lunch while we speak of other subjects?" asked King Beckwith.

Behind him on the projection screen a picture of his well appointed sports fishing boat pops up on the screen. Likewise, pictures of predeployed Kingdom Navy vessels are shown. A corvette will be shadowing the fishing boat at a kilometer's distance the entire time. Another corvette will be farther out to sea and two cruisers in the middle of the Red Sea providing deeper layers of security. Another slide will show the helicopters, planes, and drones being deployed at reasonable distance to keep security concerns to a minimum.

The King quietly waits for his two guests to give their assent.

King Beckwith likewise hops in the boat, orders a sandwich, pops open a cold can of cola, offers a beer to Synman, refrains from taking one for himself due to his Islamic values, and picks out a fishing rod and makes his way to a fighting chair in the back of the boat. 

The King offers the President a can of cola, invites him to select a rod, and offers him a fighting chair to the rear of the boat. As everyone is on board, he motions the boat's captain to make way for the Red Sea's finer fishing spots. As they pull out into the open water, King Beckwith says, "I often worry that we may not be doing enough to protect the natural treasures of Africa. Specifically the Suez Canal and I can't think of a more fitting place to talk about a body of water than on a fishing boat."

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

After some chatter, President El-Amin scribbled some of the ideas down on a piece of paper and showed it to the interested parties.

Treaty between Cape Republic, Axum, and Red Sea Republic for the promotion of African welfare

Article 1: In regards to the Suez Canal
All signatories recognize that the RSR owns and controls the canal. The RSR guarantees that it will not close the canal to either the Cape Republic or Axum unless they are at war with the RSR. With optional private inspection determined by the RSR, this guarantee extends to any military travel; particularly that related to the African Protectorate.

Article 2: In regards to a Mediterannean base
The RSR will allot space for a military supply depot somewhere within Egypt along the Mediterranean coast to be used by Axum in conjunction with African Protectorate activities. Specifics will be determined after the fate of the Sinai peninsula is decided.