Tianxia-Brazil Relations

mona lisa

To: Emperor Yuan Jia I of Tianxia

His Imperial Highness Emperor Salvatore Gomez would like to meet with you personally in the near future so as to convey his country's appreciation for Tianxia's assistance. The Empire of Brazil will never forget its roots and very much thanks the Tianxian authorities for their guidance during this transitional period. Emperor Salvatore Gomez would also like to discuss economic and military cooperation.

- Foreign Minister Javier Torres

To:  Foreign Ministry of Brazil

The Emperor is currently indisposed, however, I am available for a meeting with the Brazilian Emperor.  Shall we meet in Honolulu?

To: Wei Hai, Grand Secretary of the Empire

Very well. His Imperial Highness Emperor Salvatore Gomez will meet with you in Honolulu as soon as possible.

Shortly after the diplomatic cable was sent to Tianxia, the Emperor would begin preparations for his first overseas trip. A large motorcade would take the Emperor along with his military attaches, political advisors, and trade representative to the Imperial Air Base in Brasilia. Upon arrival the Imperial Family Jet would be waiting on the tarmac fueled up and ready to go. As the flight to Honolulu progressed, Emperor Salvatore pondered on what he would say to the high ranking Tianxian representative and where the bilateral relations between their two countries might lead.

Finally the airplane landed at Honolulu International Airport and taxied to the predetermined position on the tarmac. Once the airstairs pulled up, the left side cabin door would swing open allowing a very overjoyed Emperor to step onto Hawaiian soil. After he descended the airstairs, he would walk over to greet Grand Secretary Wei Hai, "Greetings your excellency. I look forward to our fruitful discussions here in Honolulu."

projet_Lockheed_Martin.jpg

Imperial Family Jet

Grand Secretary Wei Hai would meet them at the air port and take them to the Shangri-La Grand Hotel in Honolulu.  The palm trees lined the road to it, with uniformed Imperial Guards having rifles at attention, giving an honoring salute to the new nations leaders.  For his part, the Grand Secretary was dressed in a white cotton suit, with a peach linen dress shirt and a narrow blue tie for the situation.

Once out of the car, they were taken to a beach front outdoor meeting room, complete with the fineries of Tianxia Imperial Living, including platters of sashimi from the finest chefs, fine teas, and bottles of white Australian wines.  

"I hope you have enjoyed your long flight across the Pacific.  What can the Empire do for you today?" he asked.

"Well mister Grand Secretary, I must say Honolulu is a very beautiful place! As you may know the Empire of Brazil is still trying to gain its footing in South America as a new nation. I must thank your country for their assistance in the transitional period and for their equal and fair rule before our independence. The Empire is interested in some type of economic and military agreement, possibly an ODAP if you're open to it. We also would like to see Brazil's influence projected throughout the region and the world. In the near future we will be opening up more diplomatic discussions with fellow American countries to ensure the hemisphere's stability and peace. But I have spoken too much already, thoughts?"

"I assume you mean, ODOAP." Wei said with a smirk, "It'd be quite the treaty to require assistance on the attack but not he defense.  It is possible given our history.  But we also feel we know little about your nation's goals, and would like to avoid getting ahead of ourselves.  I think that I can speak for the Empire when I say we value some pretty important things.

First, on a very technical side, we're a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation and the Missile Technology Control Regime.  We would hope that any treaty partner can commit to these two goals.  We also believe its important to restrict the sales of technologies that could support this.  So for example, advanced aerospace parts or systems, whether manned or unmanned that could provide a nation with radars, stealth systems, turbofan engines, etc, could also be problematic.  All of this should be followed at least to the extent that it applies for newer nations without a track record.

Second, we're very much in favor of the current World in the Americas, with the possible exception of Quebec's policies.  What are your takes on it?

"Yes, I apologize for my English. An ODOAP would greatly benefit both our countries. The Empire of Brazil would gladly sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation and partake in the Missile Technology Control Regime to show our commitment to world peace and security. And we understand the restrictions of sensitive military hardware and as such will take such measures under advisement. In terms of the North American military conflict between various actors but mainly Quebec and the American Commonwealth, it is in my opinion that any military confrontation in the America's is a great threat to the region's stability and must be resolved at once. The longer this conflict draws out the more unstable North America will become, and such a result could have devastating effects for South America too."

Edited by mona lisa

"I am not sure there is terribly much to worry about the Quebec Conflict.  We can vouch for the Americans stability operation and some of our own are fighting on their side.  The Quebecois we know considerably less about, however, it is our intelligence assessment that the principal strength of the Quebec forces lie in their ground troops with no means of naval or air transport.  In other words, Quebec cannot overcome the American Air Force or Naval Blockade to spread the conflict.  

While it is fine to push for peace, I do not believe anything can come of a more proactive role short of outright invasion by a major country against one of the two, something I think neither would favor as it'd be putting a huge foreign military force within range of both's largest cities.  That truly would be destabilizing." Wei said, "In regards to the ODOAP could you perhaps provide a bit more specific how you see yourself as a global and regional major actor, your geopolitical goals, how you determine who to make treaties with, and philosophy on the use of military force."

"Secretary Wei, I completely agree that additional foreign influence is not warrented at this time in regards to the American Commonwealth-Quebec military conflict. In terms of the Empire being a major global and regional power, it is in the opinion  of his Imperial Highness Emperor Salvatore that Brazil uses all means necessary to preserve the peace and stability in the Western Hemisphere, including using military force. Now obviously Brazil will not intervene if it severely hinders the sovereignty or national security interests of a mutually allied state. The Empire of Brazil hopes to influence international relations through possible participation in the United Nations and its Security Council, however internal deliberations are still ongoing. The Brazilian Empire hopes to work closely with regional powers, especially the American Commonwealth, Stormlands, and the Athenian Federation in maintaining international peace and security. In terms of treaties, the Empire is open to non-aggression treaties with most nations. For more bilaterally beneficial agreements, the Empire would find those in states that could assist the Empire in its regional and global goals as well as the Empire being of active assistance to the other signatory party. The Empire will continue to actively work to ensure that the development and illicit use of nuclear weapons never occurs, and if it does to use any military or political power needed to neutralize such a threat. The use of military force by the Empire is a very serious matter, and will never be taken without just cause. In addition to the previously stated reasons for military action, the Empire believes that any neutral or peaceful country who is unwarrantably attacked and without any support of major regional powers, the Empire will seriously consider coming to its defense. This would be under the Emperor's new "Protector of Peace and Neutrality Doctrine". Although we would hope that this would never happen any time soon, but such actions by the aggressive party could severely hinder the economic/domestic development of the country and disrupt global stability too."

"Well as previously stated the Protector of Peace and Neutrality Doctrine allows the Empire of Brazil to come to the defense of any neutral or peaceful country who is unwarrantably attacked. This however is not an "automatic" declaration of war. It would simply allow the Imperial Government a legal means of conducting such action if deemed necessary to preserve the peace and stability of the region."

"Its a doctrine of the right to universal interference, irrespective of current international laws or institutions though." Wei pointed out his tone showing a bit more sterness.  "It seems a bit cowboy gun slinging and not responsible for a new state to initiate."

"Outright unilateral and unprovoked military attacks against a peaceful nation is in violation of international law. The Empire of Brazil will follow its own sovereign initiatives as it is our international right to do so. And in the decision making for military action, international law and norms will be fully evaluated and taken into consideration before any explicit action occurs."

"Brazil must understand while all nations have the right to self defense, even proactive, such rights do not extend to expeditionary force against others based on merely the judgement of one man.  Punitive action for another nation's attacks against another nation, as well as the validity of the original cause for war is something expressly kept in the UN Security Council, something you've pledged support to. 

A large arms build up coupled with claims of universal rights of judge, jury, and executioner can only create a security dilemma and fears of a rogue power for all parties.  As the representative of the global super power, I feel it is my duty to caution you or any other emerging regional power against as such an action is most grievious to both our interest and international norms." Wei Hai said.

"Actually, the Empire has stated that it is considering joining the United Nations. The matter is still being internally discussed. And again, I will take your concerns back to my country's government for deliberation. Until then I must represent my country and its current foreign policy.

Now, General Secretary Wei, do you mind if we move onto other areas of discussion?"

"Emperor.  The United Nations mechanism for authorizing force is resolutions by the security council and self defense.  To have offense in interstate conflict that preeempts the security council is itself a violation of the UN Charter and revisionism within the international system.

You're the Emperor of your nation.  You have the choice between leading your nation through a peaceful rise or becoming a revisionist power.  But the current system will not go quietly into that good night to accommodate Brazil's rise."  the Grand Secretary said.  

"You have made your position very clear mister Grand Secretary, and I will take it under advisement. If you are looking for an immediate change in foreign and imperial policy during this meeting you must be clearly mistaken. I will take your case to the Imperial Government in Brasilia where it will be deliberated upon. The Empire of Brazil cares a great deal of the opinion of Tianxia, however immediate change cannot be expected.

Now if you do not mind, may we please move onto another topic of interest."

"I understand your statement General Secretary Wei and again I will take your grievances to the High Imperial Council as soon as I return to Brazil. Now I would personally like o see Tianxia and Brazil to work together militarily as well. We are currently considering purchasing 10 Xia Class Nuclear Powered Guided Missile Fast Battleships and 7 Qin Shi Huang Class Cruisers. Would the Empire be able to fulfill this order?"

The export of advanced arms, particularly ones with the capabilities for defeating A2AD networks such as both the warships you described, cannot be sold while you have a doctrine of unilateral aggressive war.  

Emperor Salvatore would excuse himself to call Chief Magistrate Carmela Vasquez.

[EmperorSalvatore]Madam Chief Magistrate, as you may know I am currently holding diplomatic discussions with General Secretary Wei of Tianxia. However talks are currently being stalled by Tianxia's disapproval of the Protector of Peace and Neutrality Doctrine. I am wondering what you and the Imperial High Council think on this matter.
[CMVasques]Your Highness, I have convened the Imperial High Council during your absence to discuss this very important matter. It is in the opinion of myself, Magistrate of State Javier Torres, and Magistrate of Defense Rogelio Facundo to seriously consider either revising the document or withdrawing it. The rest of he Council has yet to decide.
[EmperorSalvatore]I see. Is it in the opinion of the Council that the withdrawal of the doctrine will severely hinder the foreign policy and national security of the Empire?
[CMVasques]No your highness. The Council believes that it may be a necessary step to formalize diplomatic relations with Tianxia and continue Brazil's military and foreign policies. However you should note that Magistrate of Trade Maricelia Gamero does have concerns about Brazil's economic interests if he document is withdrawn, however even she notes that the possibility of such an event would be minimal.
[EmperorSalvatore]Well in order to procure the necessary naval ships to complete the Imperial Fleets, Tianxia insists we must withdraw our document.
[CMVasques]It is in the opinion of the Council that one document should not hinder the development of necessary and strong diplomatic relations. The Council unanimously advises that the Protector of Peace and Neutrality Doctrine be withdrawn at once to further bilateral relations between Tianxia and Brazil.
[EmperorSalvatore]What does the Imperial Parliament suggest?
[CMVasques]The Senate leadership is afraid that at such an early beginning for the Empire, for a foreign power to "dictate" our policies could be perceived wrongly internationally. The Chamber leadership believes that dropping he document will open economic and military opportunities with Tianxia and other Pacific nations.
[EmperorSalvatore]Thank you Madam Vasques, I will take all that you, the Council, and the Parliament under deep consideration. I will contact you later.
[CMVasques]Very well your highness.

After the phone call was over, Emperor Salvatore had a very important and difficult decision to make. Should the Protector of Peace and Neutrality Doctrine be withdrawn or held in place? After about an hour of evaluating all decisions and the opinions of his government back in Brasilia, he made his final decision. He returned to the meeting room where General Secretary Wei was and said,

"Mister General Secretary, after careful deliberations with my government back in Brasilia I have decided to withdraw the Protector of Peace and Neutrality Doctrine in the interests of our bilateral relationship. I hope that Tianxia and Brazil may overcome our differences now and work towards beneficial relations between our two countries."

[spoiler]

Emperor Salvatore: mona lisa

Chief Magistrate Carmela Vasques: Grubs Abound

[/spoiler]

"Good.  However, I am also concerned about reports that we've been getting of your nations Senate being intransigent about this.  Further we find disturbing what can only be called a gigantic military build up with no defined reasoning.  Our own defense intelligence agency estimates you could defend your own borders with 1/6 your current levels.  Beyond that the presence in the Pacific we find most disturbing... most disturbing.  And it does occur to us that your nation is moving rather aggressively.  

Our proposal is simple, reduce your forces to 1/6 their total levels and withdraw your forces from the Pacific bordering countries, which afterall is our Ocean... immediately."  Wei leaned back and smiled.  

Edited by Triyun

After listening to the less then respectful General Secretary, Emperor Salvatore calmly responded, "Mister General Secretary, your disrespectful tone in these discussions is unwarranted. This is no way of sustaining beneficial bilateral relations. The Empire reserves the right to conduct its own foreign, military, and domestic policies as it sees fit. The Empire has not made any offensive military actions towards any nation, nor do we intend to. It is true the Senate has some worries, however it has come to the realization that the Empire cannot be everywhere doing everything at the same time. We currently have no naval vessels in the Pacific, however the Empire is considering deployments to Mexico's eastern border if that is what you are referring to. The Empire of Brazil does not take kindly to ultimatums, so please refrain from outlashing remarks at me. I hope that this meeting may be conducted in an appropriate and timely manner."

Edited by mona lisa