Just across the Bridge

A message would be sent from Québec to Washington.

To: American Commonwealth Department of State

From: Ministry of the Exterior of the Faraway Realm of Québec

Monsieur McNutt,

I would like to thank your nation for allowing the continuation of Faraway cultural and political tradition and for guarding our continent even after the Canadian demise. As one of the closest allies of the historic Faraway Realm, as well as our principal neighbour to the South, I would like to invite you to the Ville de Québec, to discuss the future of potential ties between our nations, as though our Realm would like to stress its non-interventionist policy in foreign affairs, our closest neighbours are not to be ignored.

I would hope for a positive reply.

With regards,

Florence de Pétèvellier

At the border bridge from the American Commonwealth to Québec, McNutt would be stopped by the Milice that were in charge of the border security and would ask him for an identification. Their uniforms, unlike the dark green of the main army, was feldgrau, with a similarly coloured beret replacing the peaked cap of the Armée. Still, they were armed with Tigre carbines, which were slung over their shoulders and had been issued bayonets, in case, should it become necessary to have this paramilitary force fight for real. Upon receiving an authentification of McNutt as diplomatic personal, they would let him pass without issue into Northern Québec (Ville de), where he was to meet the representative of the country in one of the meeting rooms of the Édifice André-Laurendeau, the main government building of the État de Québec.

While the outside seemed rather calm, in the interior, dozens of government officials, secretaries and other employees of the government filled the hallways and offices, occassionally delivering forms from one office to another or inquiring on some sort of information. Unlike the old Faraway bureaucracy, the new state apparatus at least visually seemed much more organised and extensive in its administration, retaining however the typical profile of the Faraway system, as it was all-female and government employees were issued uniforms, according to their position. And while opposition politicians called the state apparatus a "beehive", the restaurationists saw in it the avant-garde, transforming the state from the inside out.

The meeting room would be rather simple for the typical associations with Faraway, as there was no great pomp and circumstance, no servants and not even any old furniture. What was present was however three representatives, a table, a number of chairs and a tea set, an accessory which just could not be missing. As McNutt entered, the first of the three, a woman with dark blonde hair, a long dress held in mostly white and green and surely the most normal of the three, greeted him. "Bonjour, Monsieur. I'm Florence de Pétèvellier, we have already been in contact with each other. These here are Madame Arnault-Delareux, Chief of Staff of the Armée de Québec and Madame Wiltord, our Premier." She would gesture to the two figures besides her, the first being a redhead in a Faraway officer uniform, the second the Premier ministre in her contrasting pale complexion and black dress, having received the nicknames "the cardinal", "éminence blanche" or "Madame monochrome". Arnault-Delareux would offer him a handshake, greeting one of her former employers, while the Premier sat there in silence, merely watching him with her sharp green eyes.

"Please take a seat.", de Pétèvellier said, smiling kindly. "Would you like some tea? South African Rooibos."

After having taken a seat themselves and having waited for McNutt to reply, the Minister of the Exterior would start to adress the political matters that were after all the main reason for the meeting. "Monsieur McNutt, I hope your journey was pleasant. As you may have seen, our country is already busy establishing itself and I must say, there has been a lot of progress. It is not without reason that we already now look to interact with our neighbours, as, thanks to the Americans well-organised stewardship, the country is in relatively good shape. I must thank you for that.

But of course this is not everything I invited you here for. As we see our country in a long tradition, which includes the Faraway realm of Québec within the greater Faraway Realm and the Grande-Republique de Québec, our country sees the Commonwealth as one of the historical main partners in our foreign affairs. Thus, but also due to the very prominent position of the Commonwealth within North America, we were thinking we ought to reestablish ties as soon as possible. However, might I ask, how does the Commonwealth view this situation?"

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

"No thank you" he said, politely declining the offered tea.  "Historically the American Commonwealth and Faraway have had good relations and that is something we would like to replicate.  However, recent events in your nation have made my government uncomfortable.  It has been the long standing policy of the Commonwealth to promote the growth of democratic and republican institutions in the areas we maintain and such is a requirement for any new nations, including the new Faraway.  Your government's re-institution of social classes is a disturbing development considering that such institutions were abolished after the Commonwealth assumed the role of administering the country and has never been re-used by subsequent nations that developed in the area.  Democracy necessitates a basic equality when it comes to political access and representation, which institutionalized social classes tend to hinder and even destroy outright.  As such these developments may have an adverse impact on future relations between our nations until they are rectified".

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

Premier Wiltord tried to look surprised, upon hearing McNutt's words. "Monsieur McNutt, I can on the one hand somehow understand your concerns, but on the other... I just can't." She shook her head in a display of sadness and disappointment. "Sure, our idea of proper rule may differ, but I could not remember, that the Commonwealth would tread us differently due to that. Not in the past, I would hope also not this day. However, if it may help the Commonwealth to understand our position, I think the fundamental difference, is in that whereas the Congress is elected according district, our États-généraux are elected according to social strata. In the end, does it matter how we partition our people, as long as they all are represented within parlament?" Liselotte Wiltord smiled, but her expression was as cold as a block of marble. Hiding her arms in the long sleeves of her black dress, she would raise her arm to her chin, in a thinking posture, before continuing. "See, Québec is open to cooperation with neighbours, even if these do not fully share our political views. Faraway always has been a pragmatic country and we will continue to work with those who are willing to be tolerant of these certain differences. It is saddening that already at the very start, we face such grave obstacles in the way of reestablishing good ties."

Pétèvellier and Arnault-Delareux merely remained silent as their superior in the Faraway hierarchy had taken up the word, though they silently supported certain points of the statement. It followed Faraway policy, it shaped Faraway policy. Wiltord's white hand reappeared from her right sleeve and shaking her index finger, she'd finish her statement. "Monsieur McNutt, we have seen it fit to invite you, as our country wants only the best for North America. However, this we can only actively pursue, if this idea of North America does also accomodate what is left of the Faraway Realm. We are more than willing to work with your country and to even adress certain matters that you might find uncomfortable. But this will also require you to adress the issues we find uncomfortable. And there are quite a few, already starting, with the very idea, that the American Commonwealth seems to think, that it can lecture us on our internal policies on the grounds that our country once was administered by your people. I may remind you, that we have been a sovereign state before American soldiers came and we are yet again a sovereign state, who, by all means, has no inherent obligation to uphold your democratic principles."