The following secure diplomatic cable was sent to the governments of Mexico and Tikal:

To whom it may concern,

The American Commonwealth would like to extend an official invitation to your government to meet in Washington DC to explore and discuss the possibility of forming a pan-American regional organization to promote stability and economic activity in the western hemisphere.  We look forward to your response.

-AC State Department

To: American Commonwealth; State Department

Topic: Re: Meeting of the Americas

Body:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the missive delivered by your diplomatic envoys, your nation expressed interest in realizing a meeting involving your sovereign Nation, the United Mexican States and the exalted Principality of Tikal.

After careful deliberation, the Ajaw and the Ix'ajaw, Prince and Princess of the Principality of Tikal, have decided to grace your request with their agreement.

His Eternal Highness Chak Tok Ich'aak, Ajaw ichil Tikal, Embodiment of Kinich Ahau, has decided to attend the meeting in Washington D.C., arriving one day beforehand by means of a specially-built Concorde, the only means of long-distant air travel fit for His Grand Highness. With him shall come six fully armed and armoured members of the Ba’ate’xiib (the Princely Guard), as well as 52 of Ajaw Chak Tok Ich'aak's most trusted servants.

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Director of Diplomacy,

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Principality of Tikal

[Message End]

As announced, one day before the meeting a heavily modified Concorde would travel from Guatemala City to Washington D.C., carrying with it the Prince and his entourage. The day before the meeting would be used to get settled into whatever accommodations the Americans had decided to provide the Tikalese with so that everyone relevant would be rested when the actual meeting began.

Edited by Lynneth

To: American Commonwealth; State Department

Re: Meeting of the Americas

We are glad to accept your invitation to this conference. We feel that the Americas need to be more unified in our stance against potential threats to economic and political security in the continent. I Secretary of State Julia Hernandez will be making the trip to Washington DC to attend the meeting. Unfortunately President David Gonzales is unable to make the trip due to ill health and he has been advised not to travel. He have given me full authority to negotiate on his behalf.

Sincerely,

Julia Hernandez
United Mexican States Secretary of State

--------------------------

Julia Hernandez would fly out immediately from Cuidad Juarez to Washington DC immediately, flying in a United Mexican States Government DC-10-30 Airliner to Dulles International Airport. She would book into her pre-booked hotel close to the meeting place, surrounded by Mexican Secret Service Presidential Guard Team who would protect her on the trip.
Edited by Curristan

The Mexican and Tikal delegations would be provided accommodations at the Willard Intercontinental Luxury Hotel where the meeting would be held, each delegation receiving penthouse suite floor.  Security would be ensured by over a hundred Diplomatic Security Service agents and DC Metropolitan Police officers.  The foreign delegates would be allowed time to rest and refresh themselves after which they would be brought to the hotel's conference center where the Commonwealth delegation was waiting, headed by Secretary of State McNutt.  After taking their seats refreshments would be offered before starting.

"My fellow delegates" said the Secretary of State.  "I would like to start off by thanking you for attending this meeting.  For the longest time the Western Hemisphere has been very fluid in stability and direction.  Numerous nations have risen and fallen over a short time span interfering with long term regional stability and preventing lasting development of the entire Hemisphere.  What we propose as a solution to this cycle is the establishment of a regional organization designed to promote diplomatic, political and economic cooperation between all American nations.  For that reason we have asked that Mexico and Tikal attend this meeting and participate in the initial discussion of such an organization as our three nations represent the most stable, longest lasting and economically successful nations in the Western Hemisphere.  My government believes that now is the right time to form such an organization with a resurgence in new nations in both North and South America.  What are your thoughts on this matter?".

The Prince listened carefully to McNutt, punching some commands into an iPad-like personal computer all the while. Once the Secretary of State had concluded his short speech, Ich'aak waited for a few moments to see whether anything would follow or the Mexican delegation would say anything. When nothing more came, he sighed inwardly, he straightened up a little.

"It is the Principality's belief that the first step for such an organisation, should it be agreed upon by our three states, would have to begin with a treaty on trade and economic matters. It is at the time very unlikely that Tikal would agree to much beyond that. Maintaining regional stability requires that those invested in it be stable as well, and this cannot in my opinion be done by simply signing a little treaty that suddenly gives them responsibility over half a continent without them being ready for it.
"Furthermore, I do believe that the current permanent UNSC powers have a stance against regional pacts. One of these powers being Tikal's first and currently only ally Athens, I remain unconvinced that what you propose would not need great and careful preparation."

With that, the Prince was done for now, leaning back in his chair.

Julia Hernandez also listened carefully, writing down her notes on a small notepad she always carried. When the Tikal Delegate had finished, she spoke. "Mexico would be interested in the economic aspects of the proposal, but we feel that a regional military agreement would be not in our interests due to our limited military resources and capability. We also feel that we would be overstretched to any commitment that required us to commit any forces outside any feasible operational range of our home bases. I personally feel that any collective organisation would eventually become a target as we would be obliged to defend the other members if any country or organisation made an aggressive act against it, forcing us to strip our capabilities to defend our home territory."

She paused a moment before continuing. "I feel that we should focus more on economic co-operation with efforts to improve our strength in making sure that we can trade without interference and with more favourable tariffs. I would however be open to military co-operation in the form of military assistance in technology, but I would not be willing to commit to a continent wide defence strategy."

She then waited for a response.

"I apologize for this apparent misunderstanding.  What we propose is not meant to be a military organization or a regional military pact.  The purpose of this organization is the fostering of free trade and economic growth across the western hemisphere as well as to provide a forum to solve regional issues and provide a sense of cooperation and brotherhood between American states.  Healthy economic development is the main guarantor of stability and it is our hope that we can achieve such a goal through large scale cooperation with all other American states".

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

The Prince stared for a time at McNutt. Misunderstanding was a mild term. The wording used by the SoS had been exceptionally poorly chosen, considering that both the Prince himself, and the Mexican representative took it wrongly, in the same way to boot.
He didn't say all this of course, but only barely managed to keep his mien under control.

"I would then hope for a more straightforward proposal the next time. But that aside, the clarified proposal for the organisation would be something Tikal might agree to more easily, though we are still in the process of opening our nation and economy up to the rest of the world. Once Ms. Hernandez has elaborated on her position, perhaps you might be able to show us a draft of such a treaty, Secretary McNutt?"

Julia Hernandez nodded. "We would be open to an economic and trade agreement, as we feel that this will allow co-operation between the American Nations and keep our competitiveness in the world market. We feel that we must not however make our economy too open to foreign companies who would try and displace the local businesses who have been flourishing in the last few months. We would like to strike a healthy balance which helps our world economic portfolio but keep our local businesses and economy safe from exploitation."

"I understand the desire you both have to protect your nation's economies but true growth cannot occur in an overly protected economic system.  It is my hope that this organization will be able to assist member nations in an orderly and painless transition to open market economic policies to stimulate healthy growth.  As for a charter I do believe we have a draft on hand" said the Secretary of State as he waved over at an aide who left the room and brought back copies for all three representatives.  "Please keep in mind this is a rough draft and that after approval here we shall need the approval of other American nations when they are invited as well so changes are very well expected to be made".

Charter of the Organization of American States

Article 1 (Purpose)

It shall be known that the purpose of this organization will be to promote positive diplomatic and economic cooperation between its member states. To provide a forum to arbitrate issues in order to prevent conflict between member nations. To establish policies and programs to ensure economic growth and political stability.  To promote lasting cultural understanding,  peace and prosperity throughout the Americas.

Article 2 (Principles)

a)    Non-aggression; all member states will respect the full territorial sovereignty of other member states and refrain from the use of armed force as a means of settling disputes unless in self defense or in compliance with a mandate from the United Nations or such similarly recognized higher international organization.

b)    Economic Cooperation; all states agree to adopt policies and programs passed by this organization to promote economic cooperation and growth between member nations, recognizing that economic stability is essential to the common welfare and prosperity of the Americas.

c)    Human Rights; all member states will uphold the standards of basic human rights as outlined by the United Nations as a vital component of their national policies and actions.

Article 3 (Members)

Membership shall be composed of any willing nation state whose primary culture and location is within North and South America.  Memberships shall be decided upon by a simple majority vote by existing member states.

Article 4 (Structure)

This organization shall be composed of two main organs categorized as the General Assembly and Councils and Committees. 

a)    The General Assembly is the primary organ of discussion and decision making, composed of a single delegate from each member nation.  In the process of voting on measures each nation is allocated one vote. 

b)    Councils and Committees are charged with implementing and upholding policies and measures approved by the General Assembly.  They are formed by the General Assembly when called for and shall be composed of experts on their subject matters provided from member nations.

"This treaty looks quite excellent, I would say, save for one thing." The Prince leaned forward in his chair, hands clasped.
"I would argue that the founding members of the treaty should have veto powers to stop legislation that they believe would be difficult to impossible for their nations to put into action, or that they think may hurt their economy in the long run, for example. I would like to remind you that Tikal is still a heavily state-controlled economy, and I do believe that it is very similar in the United Mexican States. Were the AC and two other states, let's say Quebec and Labrador to vote for legislation that, for example forced deregulation of companies. This would very likely hurt Tikal's and Mexico's economies irreparably as we struggle to push through enough regulations that right now are not necessary in that form because the government itself regulates directly instead of through laws. Considering that Mexico's economy is quite sizeable, and considering that Tikal's economy outstrips that of the Commonwealth, I hope you understand that this would be bad for the continent's stability.
"So, please. Do add veto powers for the founding members. I would appreciate it, and I believe that Ms. Hernandez would, as well."

He leaned back, but then raised a hand. "Oh, and I might add: Tikal does not recognise the UN, just for the record. Not that this changes anything in the treaty itself, I suppose."

Edited by Lynneth

"Again, this is a preliminary draft and as such we cannot force the acceptance of veto powers.  That is something that will have to be discussed with other willing participant nations when we present them with this proposal.  Personally I'm quite unsure of the idea of veto power for just a select few nations as it pulls power away from the entire community, a community which may not be willing to accept such an occurrence.  One can just look at the United Nations to see how such an arrangement actually works.  I understand your concerns about a rapid transition but I propose we discuss how to deal with these issues with other nations before settling on anything final".

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

"If you want to discuss this treaty with other nations before settling on anything final, why invite only Tikal and Mexico to these talks? Further, an inability to ensure that two of the continent's largest economies will remain healthy is a serious concern. I'm sure you would dislike a motion requiring massive state-control just as much as we would one forcing our economies to privatise en masse.
"Regardless, you know my position. Is there anything else you would like to discuss?"