Impromptu Press Conference

Rush Sykes

Back on topic, when tlr hit DoD you stated that there were many possible reasons DoD of all targets was picked, but you wouldn;t comment on what your thinking of those reasons might be.

Care to shed light on why DoD would hae made sense as the target at that time?

The primary reason is NG specifically asked us to. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The ex-MKers wanted a robustly active community. What I think they didnt want was a too serious community. At the end of the day, a glance down TOPs roster doesnt reveal more than 10 MKers (that I can readily recall.) So their presence in TOP has dwindled as most of them chose the inactivity route.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I figured I'd clarify this.

TOP got about 15 members from MK after the disbandment, and around 5 before, a couple of which (such as Ardus and Drai) have since deleted.  Only about half are regularly active and only two of us (King Brandon and I, and Alyster who came to TOP well before the MK disbandment) are active in any kind of gov capacity.

Most of us who joined TOP were the type in MK to want a more serious community, at least when it came to CN.  Aside from the 10-15 in TOP and around the same number in DBDC/DT/DS, most MKers remain completely inactive (never left the MK AA) or deleted.

OOC: Many are still active on the MK boards, but have chosen to stop playing CN.  The biggest reason MK disbanded was because the community at large was mostly disinterested in CN and wanted to try to move the community past CN.

Edited by Azaghul

This would be a positively terrible venue to get to know anyone in. 95% of what happens here is political gamesmanship.

Or gaffesmanship if we are discussing the OWF. :D

I have nothing to ask, but I enjoy reading your analyses; as with most older leaders. Thank you for taking time now and then to offer your thoughts.

Or gaffesmanship if we are discussing the OWF. :D

I have nothing to ask, but I enjoy reading your analyses; as with most older leaders. Thank you for taking time now and then to offer your thoughts.

Thank you. Its all in joking fun saying that I do these to get attention. The reality is, I do these hoping people will ask about the past and present, while asking about the future, in hopes that me recollecting my past will motivate me to get more involved in the present and future. Its kind of a Planet Bob Self Preservation instinct.

Hello Rush

1. In your tenure here, what have you gleaned about politics and human nature? What lessons would you take away form that?

2. Any developments of the last year that surprised you?

3. Do you have any favorite new alliances?

4. Have your opinions of any old alliances changed substantially? Who?

5. What's one thing you wish people knew about you but no one ever asks?

1.  Ah, Hooligans -- the inheritors of the TUF mantle, and for years, the Puerto Rico of C&G.  Been a bit of time now since their ignoble end.  What are your thoughts in retrospect about C&G's erstwhile little ally?

2.  Skywalker had Vader, Auburn has Alabama, and for awhile, your side of the treaty web seemed to have GOD as a rival.  Seems like in any DoW, the phrase "S'up GOD?" would make an appearance.  It seems like GOD's s'uppability has waned in recent years.  Who now serves as C&G's most s'uppable foe?  If none, who do you see as having an uptick in s'uppage potential, or seems as if they might be trending toward a good s'upping in the coming months?

3.  You have stridden Planet Bob for years,  a player politically in some of the darkest, smokiest back room channels around.  Given this breadth of institutional knowledge, who would you objectively state has been Planet Bob's most endearing donkey-themed alliance?

Hello Rush

1. In your tenure here, what have you gleaned about politics and human nature? What lessons would you take away form that?

2. Any developments of the last year that surprised you?

3. Do you have any favorite new alliances?

4. Have your opinions of any old alliances changed substantially? Who?

5. What's one thing you wish people knew about you but no one ever asks?

1) Any time you combine human nature with politics, you get a mound of BS. In all seriousness, you can not believe 80% of what you are told. The lesson would be... you will suck at politics if you do not have thicker skin and a two-faced side.

2) Nothing that surprised me. Shortly after EQ, Ardus approached me and asked me what I thought the future would and should look like, I declined really to comment on either, because I believed my days were numbered. He mentioned to me that he wanted to do something that people would not think was possible, but did not yet know what it was. What you see now, is what he decided to set out to do. Kudos to him for getting the ball rolling.

3) This would require some thought. off the top of my head, I have a natural affinity for Doomsquad due to the sheer # of ex MKers... especially Flak Attack, whom I think is a capital guy. And a special affection for DBDC, not because I think they could be the saviors or topplers of TOP like to think that I think (that sentence made my head hurt)... but seriously, Oyababy and TBRaiders is enough to make me love them even if they were led by someone I detested, which they are not.

4) One alliance comes to mind. But now is not the time or place to open that can of worms. 

5)  Good question, I wish I had a good answer, but I just dont.

1.  Ah, Hooligans -- the inheritors of the TUF mantle, and for years, the Puerto Rico of C&G.  Been a bit of time now since their ignoble end.  What are your thoughts in retrospect about C&G's erstwhile little ally?

2.  Skywalker had Vader, Auburn has Alabama, and for awhile, your side of the treaty web seemed to have GOD as a rival.  Seems like in any DoW, the phrase "S'up GOD?" would make an appearance.  It seems like GOD's s'uppability has waned in recent years.  Who now serves as C&G's most s'uppable foe?  If none, who do you see as having an uptick in s'uppage potential, or seems as if they might be trending toward a good s'upping in the coming months?

3.  You have stridden Planet Bob for years,  a player politically in some of the darkest, smokiest back room channels around.  Given this breadth of institutional knowledge, who would you objectively state has been Planet Bob's most endearing donkey-themed alliance?

1) I never thought badly of hooligans, ever, despite what Xanth and others would have you think. I did not want to absorb them into TLR either. There was a suggestion made in the leadup to the EQ war that they should merge into us until after the war, because there was, in the minds of many, that TLR would go uncountered for quite some time, and the writing that Hooligans would not survive post-war was on the wall. The no counter thing was hopeful and erroneous , but at the time, it seemed logical because either we would both get rolled through a counter and their eventual entry, or they could help maximize damage by allowing us to coordinate them, because they were not coordinated because their gov was almost non-existant.

All of that being said, they were an alliance who always overhyped their own place in the pecking order. Like it or not, there is, and will always be a pecking order. In a 3 months span, they threatened GOONS and they threatened MHA twice. All 3 over completely nonsense issues that they could have resolved with 30 seconds of rational thought. For example... GOONS raided a none. The None then applied to Hooligans. Instead of working through TLRs GOONS tie.. they went to GOONS and said "stop hitting this guy or we will defend him." You can imagine how well that went over. Myself and Mandellav spent many WTF hours facepalming over that. It took me 15 seconds of saying to Sardonic "will you please stop hitting this guy so he can join Hooligans , and we will educate Hooligans on right way and wrong to do diplomacy." Thats all it took. The guy was no longer hit, and the situation was solved. In 15 seconds... but they would not take that route.

2) There really is nobody who we view as an enemy or rival.  Umbrella probably most closely fits the bill. But with GOD, we wanted to kill them over and over again. With Umb, we just want to wash their stench off us. Its not the same thing.

3) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ass.

If your not going to answer my question please do not bring me up in your answers to others :P

As far as "what i would have others believe" i just show logs and let them decide for themselves.

Edited for autoincorrectness

Edited by Xanth

If your not going to answer my question please do not bring me up in your answers to others :P

As far as "what i would have others believe" i just show logs and let them decide for themselves.

Edited for autoincorrectness

When one person presents logs, it is ALWAYS out of context. My logs with you, my logs with Emma, my logs with Azie.. you need them ALL to put into context how I felt about possible mergers. Azie and Emma can both confirm that I said on a 4578945634893 occasions, that I thought your eventual end would come with a merger back into GATO. The truth of the matter is, and this may be hard for you to accept, but after cleaning up mess after mess with GOONS, MHA and whoever else you decided to throw C&Gs strength at as your ace-in-the-hole, led our gov to unanimously decide that you had less than 3 members in your whole alliance that we would want.

You keep referencing things that happened when I was not a member of that alliance (or was totally inactive due to RL). The issues you bring up about goons and mha were caused by the very people you "would want" which speaks volumes to the quality of the members in TLR.

As this is at this point ancient history but do not forget i was present in many irc channels and the C&G forum an i have a pretty good idea of what the general view on hooligans was in the bloc.

My only gripe to this day is the way c&g as a whole acted when hooligans attempted to make its own fa path (again I was not in the alliance at that time). It was quite clear at that point where hooligans stood and it should have come as no surprise that hooligans would eventually attempt to drop C&G which we began to do just before the onset of E.Q. ODN was just the first of the treaties we were planning to drop. If that war had not happened or held off for another 2 weeks int  and TLR (which had already passed the senate vote) would have been dropped as well.

If hooligans had been able to get c&g dropped and our other plans in place in time you can well bet that flag would still be flying today.

Edited by Xanth

You keep referencing things that happened when I was not a member of that alliance (or was totally inactive due to RL). The issues you bring up about goons and mha were caused by the very people you "would want" which speaks volumes to the quality of the members in TLR.

As this is at this point ancient history but do not forget i was present in many irc channels and the C&G forum an i have a pretty good idea of what the general view on hooligans was in the bloc.

My only gripe to this day is the way c&g as a whole acted when hooligans attempted to make its own fa path (again I was not in the alliance at that time). It was quite clear at that point where hooligans stood and it should have come as no surprise that hooligans would eventually attempt to drop C&G which we began to do just before the onset of E.Q. ODN was just the first of the treaties we were planning to drop. If that war had not happened or held off for another 2 weeks int  and TLR (which had already passed the senate vote) would have been dropped as well.

If hooligans had been able to get c&g dropped and our other plans in place in time you can well bet that flag would still be flying today.

Its cute that you assume you know who we wanted.

So in other words, everything that happened to Hooligans, was Hooligans fault. I believe we are in total agreement on that.

Its cute that you assume you know who we wanted.

So in otheir words, everything that happened to Hooligans, was Hooligans fault. I believe we are in total agreement on that.

Strangely we are, there is a first time for everything I guess.

Now will you answer my question!? How did you talk jgoods into returning finally?

I never thought badly of hooligans, ever

our gov unanimously decided that you had less than 3 members in [Hooligans] that we would want.

Asked and answered, although the second answer belies the first.

But with GOD, we wanted to kill them over and over again. 

What made them stand out as hated rivals compared to the rest of the alliances you fought multiple times?

Asked and answered, although the second answer belies the first.

What made them stand out as hated rivals compared to the rest of the alliances you fought multiple times?

The 2nd answer does not belie the 1st. I had a mass affinity for MK, I would not want to have a lot of them in my alliance though. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

As to why GOD stood out, like it or not, one person is always the face of a bloc. Xiphosis at that time WAS SF. His opposition to C&Gs FA path was well documented. It put the 2 blocs at odds. The SF-C&G dynamic was unique in that it was viewed by the world as a partnership, but viewed by the blocs themselves as a rivalry. Its really easy to want to kill your rival.

Edited by Rush Sykes