Announcing the Revolutionary Order Party

The Zigur

Has Luckao also been trying to help your improve your communication? I wasn't aware.

Do you plan to join Tywinn's party, now that he has explained it more?

Yeah, I do intend to enlist already, Pingu: I think it'll be good rebel-rousing fun until everyone realizes that the 'revolution' will cost them pixels and they leave the cause of global, violent revolution. What about you?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see, I can understand what you are trying to say, with some effort. But I'm about to give up, because it is so tortuous. And I'm reasonably smart and quite patient, by local standards. So if your aim is actually to communicate, you should consider plain and correct English as an effective tool for achieving that.

I'm really trying to help. Maybe you don't want people to read your stuff? If that is the case, by all means ignore my counsel.

I can understand her posts fine, just because she uses some words you're not used to doesn't mean its not proper english. It can be good for you to stimulate your brain a little reading different styles of writing you're not used to.

Edited by Methrage

I can understand her posts fine, just because she uses some words you're not used to doesn't mean its not proper english. It can be good for you to stimulate your brain a little reading different styles of writing you're not used to.

You misunderstand, I fear. I read many styles of writing, and understand all the words she uses. The problems are: 1) that she misuses some of them; and 2) that the overall effect is aesthetically a failure. I am happy to note greater clarity emerging as the conversation continued.

However, I appreciate your defending adventurousness in prose. We should all aspire to read widely and write well. The point is to write effectively, meaning both clearly and with awareness of the intended readership.

If you bothered to read the big red text, it states that this is not in essence an alliance but a political party where CN's brightest can debate ideology and advance the interests of all nations.

Hilarious in so many ways.

You misunderstand, I fear. I read many styles of writing, and understand all the words she uses. The problems are: 1) that she misuses some of them; and 2) that the overall effect is aesthetically a failure. I am happy to note greater clarity emerging as the conversation continued.

However, I appreciate your defending adventurousness in prose. We should all aspire to read widely and write well. The point is to write effectively, meaning both clearly and with awareness of the intended readership.

Humor me and elaborate, Pingu.

Here is the post that initially provoked my response. There are some basic errors here:

• "user" is missing the final "s";
  • "discern" means to see, perceive, or make out, whereas the thrust of your complaint was not that the gibberish was hidden, more that it was incomprehensible. It follows that there are clearer verbs to use here, such as "understand" or "interpret" or even "parse," if you want to go with the affectation of favoring less commonly used words;
  • you use "tenants" where you mean "tenets";
  • "persudo" is not a word or legitimate fragment of a compound word in English;

Stylistically, my main objection is that the whole is littered with long words where short ones would do, and do better. See Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language" for advice on this point. The decision to join two sentences into one, connected by a colon, is unkind to your readers. Shorter sentences are far easier to grasp.

So, let's pretend that most forum user won't have the ability to discern that gibberish you made a point to present me with: contract your tenants in comprehensive print that we may all comprehend that basic ideological left-wing foundation you call "Tywinism", please.  I have no need for persudo-philosophical explanation, Tywin, but I want hard facts instead.

Go to bed.

Sound advice.

Here is the post that initially provoked my response. There are some basic errors here:

• "user" is missing the final "s";
  • "discern" means to see, perceive, or make out, whereas the thrust of your complaint was not that the gibberish was hidden, more that it was incomprehensible. It follows that there are clearer verbs to use here, such as "understand" or "interpret" or even "parse," if you want to go with the affectation of favoring less commonly used words;
  • you use "tenants" where you mean "tenets";
  • "persudo" is not a word or legitimate fragment of a compound word in English;

You have got be kidding me with this elementary literary analysis, Pingu. I made a few grammatical errors when typing and this is it? Let me rectify the flaws then:

Discern: To perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; see, recognize, or apprehend. 

The objective use of the word was not inappropriately used when placed in the context of my rant, it was instead written exactly to point. I made it a key point that the ideals of Tywin Lannister were not sufficiently transparent enough for me to fathom [the depth of] whatever the key tenets were in relation to his ideology.

So, let's pretend that most forum user won't have the ability to discern that gibberish you made a point to present me with: contract your tenants in comprehensive print that we may all comprehend that basic ideological left-wing foundation you call "Tywinism", please.  I have no need for persudo-philosophical explanation, Tywin, but I want hard facts instead.

When did the utilization of  mental prowess fail to be recognized as a faculty of the intellect or sense? To perceive anything, you need clarification in some sense about the subject and be able to shoulder the meaning behind it. I did not incorrectly use the word, Pingu. I needed to be sure about what Tywin Lannister meant by posting this thread, and at the time the point he had in-mind was unclear to discern for me. Excuse me for not being an absolute perfectionist around these things. 

Edited by Malkavian

That wasn't literary analysis. I'm simply trying to help you communicate clearly, for all that you don't appear to want my help.

I do commend Orwell's essay to you, even if you don't care to take advice from me.

That wasn't literary analysis. I'm simply trying to help you communicate clearly, for all that you don't appear to want my help.

I do commend Orwell's essay to you, even if you don't care to take advice from me.

Literary criticism is the study, evaluation, and interpretation of literature. You meticulously swept through my post in an effort to accumulate all the grammatical errors and even tried to interpret my post, Pingu. You evaluated the usage of my words and how I had written them and in what context. You scrutinized the written flaws of my post and suggested source material for my digestion. Nevermore has a more precise example of literary analysis appeared not unlike yours, Pingu. 

I thought TOP was trying hard to get you into their alliance?

Hey hey hey, this is supposed to be a good clean fight. No low blows. 

(n.b. any Voting Council that chose to accept Tywin would face a Vote of No Confidence. I can confirm that to you myself, I'll motion for it on the improbable chance that it happens.)