Making TE Better

Ok. I have been clowning around almost the entire round, but I wanted to start a discussion on the problems facing TE as we move into another round. This was inspired by Almighty Admin taking an interest in our thoughts and being active in shaking things up. Please make announcements to your members and have them respond to his poll.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/120395-round-29/

This thread is less about technical changes to the game and more about how it operates practically.

The problem

I led for a long time. It got boring toward the end and I couldn't justify doing it with RL being so busy. Even if we lose longtime members to RL, we should have guys waiting in the wings to step up. I feel like that is lacking. 

We talk about grudges and hate destroying the game, but honestly, it is the lack of real talent across the board and a lack of effort and resources to really train new members as a result of that void. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's not good for just a few alliances dominating the game. They either end up killing each other all round--which gets boring, or they hit a paper tiger--which results in an entertaining slaughter but gets boring as well. 

What should we do about it?

There are great players in a lot of alliances. Unfortunately, a lot of them are either surrounded by noobs or don't have time/commitment to teach. We need citadel's to train tomorrow's leaders. Leaders of the elites need to take those struggling under their wing and those guys need to listen. 

Does that mean secret treaties and alliances? Hell no, any help should be given with the understanding of what friends through war really means. I used to think that winning a war was the only thing that matters. Today I realize that wars should be hard...and against new people. If they are not, the game (or alliance) is broken. 

Ok. I have been clowning around almost the entire round, but I wanted to start a discussion on the problems facing TE as we move into another round. This was inspired by Almighty Admin taking an interest in our thoughts and being active in shaking things up. Please make announcements to your members and have them respond to his poll.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/120395-round-29/

This thread is less about technical changes to the game and more about how it operates practically.

The problem

I led for a long time. It got boring toward the end and I couldn't justify doing it with RL being so busy. Even if we lose longtime members to RL, we should have guys waiting in the wings to step up. I feel like that is lacking. 

We talk about grudges and hate destroying the game, but honestly, it is the lack of real talent across the board and a lack of effort and resources to really train new members as a result of that void. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's not good for just a few alliances dominating the game. They either end up killing each other all round--which gets boring, or they hit a paper tiger--which results in an entertaining slaughter but gets boring as well. 

What should we do about it?

There are great players in a lot of alliances. Unfortunately, a lot of them are either surrounded by noobs or don't have time/commitment to teach. We need citadel's to train tomorrow's leaders. Leaders of the elites need to take those struggling under their wing and those guys need to listen. 

Does that mean secret treaties and alliances? Hell no, any help should be given with the understanding of what friends through war really means. I used to think that winning a war was the only thing that matters. Today I realize that wars should be hard...and against new people. If they are not, the game (or alliance) is broken. 

Thank you for your kind words for bringing up Citadel as an example how an alliance ought to treat it's inexperienced members. It's nice that at least some people appreciate our efforts, which benefit the entire TE community eventually.

It's time consuming indeed and sometimes frustrating when someone you spend a lot of time on is leaving TE or is moving to a different alliance. There are a lot of rewarding moments too, when you grow your own "elite" fighters and they appreciate your efforts and stay. 

I must say, once you are getting experienced in teaching newbies, it's much easier to see who is who at early stages and spend your time on each of them in a more efficient way. 

Much easier to do nothing at all and wait for experienced "hired guns" to drop in.

Well, i would like to thank Kongland and other Citadel members like Predrag, WC and DZE in helping me understand the game. I joined in to get experience in SE. I am new to Cybernations SE too, joined 28th December. TE is an excellent way for young SE members to learn about the game. It shows you everything, teaches you everything.. all the possible scenarios one can face in SE in just 1 month. But had it not been for patient members like Kongland, i would have left the game midway.

Going by the spirit in these forums, to keep the game alive, please take time to train members and someone please make a good guide. I mean a really comprehensive one. And SHARE WITH THE WORLD!

PS: Yes RE, i am a noob. The Citadel training didn't make me look like one. I rocked your boats ;)

1. Make a nation
2. spend half your money on tech and the other half on land, buy some troops and stay in defcon 5
3. PM me for further instructions

Auctor, would be willing to make a guide for your *treaty partners? I don't think they quite got the gist of it.

*secret

Maybe there should be a separate subforum on the TE public forums for noobs to ask questions. People could use the same forum to post guides tailored towards noobs, both comprehensive and on specific topics. We could comment on, refine, and edit the guides, and once the community likes one, we can ask the moderators to sticky it.

Maybe there should be a separate subforum on the TE public forums for noobs to ask questions. People could use the same forum to post guides tailored towards noobs, both comprehensive and on specific topics. We could comment on, refine, and edit the guides, and once the community likes one, we can ask the moderators to sticky it.

Not to be negative about it, but are you suggesting that there are people who are willing to do the research of finding the answers here; but cannot find the answers?  I'm incredible skeptical of this.

There are people that don't put in any effort at all and fail.  This won't help them as they probably don't check here as is.

There are people that are convinced that there method is great regardless of how many people point out how bad it is, and continually fail.  At this point, those people deserve to fail, and have shown that they wouldn't take free good advice so it won't help them.

For the few people that don't fall into those categories, a standard building (and war) guides are really easy to find, and taking a look at what successful people do alone gets you 78.4% of the way there.  If someone really needs help, maybe is trying TE for the first time, you can ask in a few major TE alliances public channels and I bet you get it, despite not being in the alliance.