Diplomacy with Sierra Leone

lkfht

TO: Government of Sierra Leone

SUBJ: Meeting

To whom it may concern,

I invite representatives of your government to Dublin in order to establish formal diplomatic ties and to work together in areas of common interest.

Sincerely,

1197039191082719120114.png

Minister of Foreign Affairs

TO: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Ireland

SUBJ: Re: Meeting

To Mary Baron,

We would gladly welcome the chance to discuss areas of common interest. I will be on the first flight to Dublin tomorrow morning.

Sincerely,

Thomas Goldwater

Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs would make all preparations for the state visit by Foreign Minister Thomas Goldwater. Once he arrived at Dublin International Airport, Minister Mary Baron would greet him and his delegation. They would be led to a motorcade and be taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. Upon arrival Minister Baron would lead them to a large meeting room to hold discussions.

"Minister Goldwater, welcome to Ireland! I hope you enjoy your visit. Now down to business, I would like to ask you of how our two great countries may work together for economic cooperation?"

"Well," Goldwater said as he took a sip of water, "Sierra Leone is rich in diamonds and rutile. We have some small iron and bauxite deposits, but they can still yield some sort of profit. Other than that, cocoa beans and other subsistence farming are the only other resources we can muster. We could allow an agreement where Irish companies are given exclusive rights to open diamond-refining industries in Sierra Leone, so long as we have natives doing a majority of the work and management."

Adding to that, Goldwater said "But I get ahead of myself! What can Ireland offer?"

Minister Baron listened to her counterpart and after he was finished would say, "Mr. Minister, Irish corporations can provide fair employment to your people. Several companies are very interested in your diamond resources. As a condition of allowing our companies exclusive access we will ensure fair wages, healthcare, and improvement pay as well. Many corporations are also very interested in giving back to the communities and families of the workers, and are willing to fund health clinics and schools in under developed villages. On an official note, Ireland is also willing to provide any humanitarian assistance that may be needed by your people and support additional infrastructure projects too."

"I absolutely agree that a free trade agreement is in order," replied Foreign Minister Baron.

"Foreign Minister Thomas Goldwater, I would like to now move onto the topic of military cooperation. If your military is in need of any military equipment I am sure Irish military contractors and companies can accommodate you for a reasonable price. I would also like to see at some point possible joint military exercises and officer exchange programs. I believe both our armed forces could benefit from training with one another."

Goldwater hummed and seemed interested once military cooperation came up. "Well, currently Sierra Leone is producing its own small arms, there are some military items we aren't producing though. Armored vehicles are also something we are lacking, although that is more on the Army's meager budget and lack of responses than anything else. As to joint exercises and office exchange programs, I believe our army would welcome such ideas."

"This month's budget is most certainly small, House does not want to seem overeager to build up militarily, you see. And again, as I have said, the Army is delaying on ordering production or purchasing of armored vehicles because of both the uncertainty of the budget and the possibility of House's unwillingness to expand said budget. I feel until a more solid and stable budget is secured, purchasing of some items simply will not be possible yet."

" I understand Mr. Goldwater. Now if you don't mind I would like to move onto the possibility of establishing formal diplomatic ties. If you are willing, I would like to send an ambassador to Sierra Leone in order to facilitate growing relations and I invite you to send one to Dublin."

"That would be amazing! I will meet with Ambassador Ian once he arrives in Dublin. I will also have the Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinate a possible embassy building in Dublin too."

After speaking, Minister Baron received a manila envelope. Inside was the Grand Chancellor's choice as the first Irish ambassador to an African nation.

" Foreign Minister Goldwater, Grand Chancellor Leonardo Kennedy has appointed Mr. Jamie Elin as ambassador to Sierra Leone. A public announcement will be made later with further details."

"Is there anything else you would like to discuss Mr. Goldwater?"

The following two treaties would be handed to Minister Baron.

Irish-Sierra Leonean Economic Cooperation Accords

Our two great nations, henceforth referred to as "Ireland" and "Sierra Leone", agree to the outlines terms.

Article I: Free Trade

No barrier shall exist, excluding the specific outlined laws of one signatory, that impede free and equal trade between Ireland and Sierra Leone. Should a situation arise in which goods are not allowed inside a signatory's borders for whatever reason, it is that signatory's duty to inform the other so that the flow of these illicit goods can stop.

Article II: Economic Cooperation

As per this agreement, Sierra Leone and Ireland agree to cooperate economically and not to enact a law or bill that would hurt the economy of another signatory.

Article III: Special Rights

Irish companies are given special privileges that grant them the exclusive right to operate in Sierra Leone, specifically in the diamond industry. Irish companies affiliated with this industry will be given first choice (after Sierra Leonean companies) in location, mine selection, and other such matters over companies from any other nation.

Article IV: Cancellation

If for any reason the signatories feel this agreement is not in their best interests, there must be a warning notice of 1 month prior to cancellation to adjust economic plans. After this warning period, the treaty is then null and void.

For Sierra Leone,

Minister of Foreign Affairs Thomas Goldwater

For Ireland,

Irish-Sierra Leonean Non-Aggression and Military Cooperation

Article I: Non-Aggression

The undersigned agree not to take aggressive action, overt or covert, against each other.

Article II: Military Cooperation

The undersigned agree to cooperate with each other militarily. This does not mean the undersigned are to mutually protect each other or go to war against an external foe, but does require that a portion of each signatory's military be sent in an exchange program. This exchange program will include a select number of officers and enlisted soldiers, who shall be sent to each signatory's nation to participate in training and exercises designed to teach and refine martial skills.

Article III: Intelligence Sharing

Should any covert or overt threat be made to a signatory by a third party, it is the duty of the other signatory to share any information they may have on the threat.

Article IV: Cancellation

Should either signatory feel that this agreement is no longer in their best interests, they may cancel the treaty by giving a 1-week warning notice of the cancellation of the treaty. After this warning notice has passed, the treaty is then null and void and the signatories no longer have to abide by its terms.

For Sierra Leone,

Minister of Foreign Affairs Thomas Goldwater

For Ireland,

Irish-Sierra Leonean Economic Cooperation Accords

For Ireland,

Grand Chancellor Leonardo Kennedy

Irish-Sierra Leonean Non-Aggression and Military Cooperation

For Ireland,

Grand Chancellor Leonardo Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...

Upon the arrival of the Sierra Leone President to the Chancellor's Residence, he and his staff would be led to a small meeting room where he would find the Prime Minister, Minister of Defense, and Minister of Foreign Affairs in addition to Grand Chancellor Leonardo Kennedy.

GC- "Welcome Mister President. We have many things to discuss so if you don't mind I'd like to get right down to it. Our Defense Forces have sustained over 200 casualties so far. At this rate we will not be able to sustain combat operations in order to free your country. You must begin to organize loyal forces immediately. We are fully willing and able to supply you with arms, equipment, and training. We need your country's people to take a stand against tyranny and fight for their freedoms."

hh_marshallmtgrm_3_675x359_FitToBoxSmall

Edited by lkfht

President Basher quickly took a seat and took a sip of water before he began.

PB: Thank you once again for giving my government shelter in these troubling times. Irish assistance will not be soon forgotten. I, along with others in my cabinet, encourage you not to give up in our struggle to victory. I appreciate the memory of and weep for each Irish soldier killed and wounded while serving his nation. Thankfully, we have laid out a plan to retake our great country. If I may take command of the screen?

A map of Sierra Leone is displayed on the screen, focused on Freetown and the surrounding peninsula.

PB: The plan drawn up by General Simon Fullcaster will be focused on retaking Freetown. Control of Freetown is what gives any faction legitimacy, and as such our efforts should be on taking and holding it while we clear out the Fascists. The first phase of this plan includes taking Waterloo, a vital transit city that contains the few routes in and out of Freetown. Waterloo is heavily defended, and as such will not be easy to take. General Fullcaster's officers estimate 6,700 casualties to take the city, which, unfortunate to say, is the low side of the numbers. Our plan is for this assault to be carried out by primarily Sierra Leonean forces, with Irish air support as necessary.

The screen changes to show Waterloo under Government control.

PB: The second phase includes joint naval landings and airborne assaults, to be carried out by both Irish forces and the nascent Sierra Leonean Marines and Airborne troops. There are two landing points we have determined to be best - Hastings in the north and York in the south. These two zones are close enough to Freetown that we can easily march in a day's time but still close enough to Waterloo that it will allow the Liberation Army to link up and begin a coordinated push on Freetown.

Basher pauses to take a drink of water before continuing.

PB: Of course, the next issue is weapons and armament. We plan to begin building up at our base in Magburaka. We will rush training for new recruits and press as many soldiers into service as we can. Our hope is that we can start this operation, which we've codenamed Operation Cigar Drag, in one month's time.

GC- "We will not abandon you in this time of need. Minister of Defense Brenden Calbert, I'm sure can respond to your military plans better than I. Minister?"

MoD- "Well thank you Grand Chancellor Kennedy and thank you Mister President for coming. For your first phase of taking Waterloo we can provide 2 squadrons of Rafale Multi-role Fighters for close air support. We can also provide 250 Marines to assist Liberation troops. In terms of your amphibious landing plan we currently have a Liberty-Class Landing Ship with 1,000 Marines that could conduct an on-shore landing, but I do not believe Sierra Leone has a standing navy. Am I incorrect in saying this?

Again for the taking of Freetown we can provide close air support from INS Dublin, our aircraft carrier. In reference to weapons and armament we can begin flying in GF-416 assault files and ammunition via C-17s into an airfield we created at Magburaka. We can also have our Army Ranger Wing operators assist in training your troops for combat. We also have 75,000 HUMVEES in storage which we can donate to your forces however we cannot possibly deliver all 75,000 within a month. We could probably deliver 1,400 HUMVEES within a months time.

While your plans for Freetown are quite extensive, the rest of your country still needs to be taken back. I have directed the Commander of Irish Forces in Sierra Leone to establish additional FOBs and Air Bases in the north and west of the country. I will also be dispatching additional army and air force assets to the region to assist. We plan on encountering resistance but not much while conducting these operations. Once these FOBs have been established, loyal forces can begin to integrate with Irish forces in them and eventually be handed over to the Sierra Leone government."

MoFA- "Mister President, after your country has been completely liberated we will begin to withdraw our forces ad handover military installations, however we wish to keep several military detachments at Air Base Lungi in order to ensure a peaceful transition and continued security in the country. In order to do this another treaty may be in order."

Edited by lkfht