Generals: Assassination question

maxfiles

Generals - Military generals can be recruited and assigned to one of four posts in your military. The positions include generals of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Intelligence. Recruiting generals offers a variety of benefits to your nation including increases to battle strength calculations, unit purchase and upkeep cost reductions, and due to the enormous prestige that generals carry some may offer increases to your population happiness, citizen income, and even boosts to your population itself. As you conduct battles and special operations in the field against other nations you will gain experience points (XP) that will enable you to recruit higher ranking generals who will in turn provide greater benefits to your nation. For each ground battle, aircraft attack, naval attack, etc... you will gain +1 experience point in that field (successful nuclear attacks gain +5 experience points for Air Force). You can only gain Intelligence XP levels when spying against nations that you are at war with. There are a multitude of NPC (non-playable character) generals available for you to choose from and upon recruiting a general you may change their name, assign them a custom title, and if you don't like the avatar image provided for them then simply click on the image to cycle through a different avatar. Generals come with an initial assignment monetary cost as well as a daily monetary salary that will be reflected on your bill payments. Assigning generals also consumes that general's XP level from your nation. Terminating generals returns 70% of that general's XP level back to your nation. Generals can be targeted for assassination during spy operations.

terminating means decommissioning the generals? if so, the text should reflect that, if it includes assassination it should also reflect that.

then perhaps the correct terminology should be used in both places.

You may wish to go re-read the Generals screen.  Terminating is used both in the help screen, and at the Generals screen.  I don't think we're going to change the wording because you prefer the word decommission to termination.

Generals are ridiculously easy to assassinate. Basically, what xoin said. Just save your XP until peace time and buy generals then.

I agree with that, 

I think i have spied away 7 out of 9 attempts so far this war. more fun stealing nukes thought, :) 

You may wish to go re-read the Generals screen.  Terminating is used both in the help screen, and at the Generals screen.  I don't think we're going to change the wording because you prefer the word decommission to termination.

Terminating is a fluid word..

using google this is what I have found.

ter·mi·nate

1. bring to an end. : "he was advised to terminate the contract" - synonyms: bring to an end, end, abort, curtail, bring to a close/conclusion, close, conclude, finish, stop, put an end to, wind up, wrap up, discontinue, cease, kill, cut short, ax; (informal) pull the plug on, can - "the project was terminated"

2. (of a thing) have its end at (a specified place) or of (a specified form). : "the chain terminated in an iron ball covered with spikes"

3. (of a train, bus, or boat service) end its journey. : "the train will terminate at Stratford" - synonyms: end its journey, finish up, stop - "this bus terminates at Granville Street"

4. end (a pregnancy) before term by artificial means.

5. end the employment of (someone); dismiss. : "Adamson's putting pressure on me to terminate you" - synonyms: fire, ax; downsize; (informal) can, cut - "ten employees were terminated"

6. assassinate (someone, esp. an intelligence agent). : "he was terminated by persons unknown"

7. archaic : form the physical end or extremity of (an area).

This is not about a word preference, this is about being clear with the wording used in the game and in the about screen.. 

I never assume, which is why I am asking, and I a hoping admin would consider a clarification with the proper word used, after all everywhere else says decommission troops, tanks, planes, nukes, and navy. This is about using same terminology throughout all areas of the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Terminating is a fluid word..

using google this is what I have found.

This is not about a word preference, this is about being clear with the wording used in the game and in the about screen.. 

I never assume, which is why I am asking, and I a hoping admin would consider a clarification with the proper word used, after all everywhere else says decommission troops, tanks, planes, nukes, and navy. This is about using same terminology throughout all areas of the game. 

This is a good argument. There's no point in opposing a change towards clarification (although it wouldn't be terrible if the term remained the same, TBH).

• 2 weeks later...

ChairmanHal, how would you suggest making it better?

For whatever code you may be using, it seems like Assassinating Generals works more then the indicated percentages given (30%, 50%, 70%). Perhaps it's just coincidence as I am going to assume that its the same coding for all of the other spy ops, but I seem to have quite a larger success rate against assassinating generals then any other spy op. 

Does it take into account if you obtain a Spy General, it increases the chances of a thwarted attacked, when the opponent launches an assassinate general, spy op? Because to me it seems like even with it, it's about the same odds/success rate as it was without having the spy general, which I thought increases your own success odds on all spy attacks. I have more trouble launching other spy ops when the enemy has a general, then the assassination attempt spy op. Just curious.

Also, it's exceptionally cheap to assassinate a general when it's very difficult to get them. Not very balanced imo.

For whatever code you may be using, it seems like Assassinating Generals works more then the indicated percentages given (30%, 50%, 70%). Perhaps it's just coincidence as I am going to assume that its the same coding for all of the other spy ops, but I seem to have quite a larger success rate against assassinating generals then any other spy op. 

Does it take into account if you obtain a Spy General, it increases the chances of a thwarted attacked, when the opponent launches an assassinate general, spy op? Because to me it seems like even with it, it's about the same odds/success rate as it was without having the spy general, which I thought increases your own success odds on all spy attacks. I have more trouble launching other spy ops when the enemy has a general, then the assassination attempt spy op. Just curious.

Also, it's exceptionally cheap to assassinate a general when it's very difficult to get them. Not very balanced imo.

Based on some horror stories about TEs SDIs i've heard this round, i'd say that SDIs were broken too, except in the long run theyre probably fine. Your experience with assassinate generals is probably luck.

Assassinating a general is only "cheap" during war time. The way I see it, generals are your reward for not turtling during a war; if you're willing to spend money to earn that ground/air/navy/spy xp, you get a reward after the war ends, [i]assuming you buy your generals after the war ends[/i]. Assassinating someone's generals in peacetime seems like reason for another global nukefest, and that doesn't exactly seem "cheap".

ChairmanHal, how would you suggest making it better?

Sorry, didn't see this until now.

Assassinating a general in game terms should be more difficult than spying away a nuke, akin to Sabotage IRS Proficiency perhaps with more of a chance that a hit is a miss.

Remember that in World War II the top military commanders for the most part survived the war with the notable exception of course of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.