Top 5 Defunct Alliances of all time

Rush Sykes

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. Current VE claim that VE 1.0 was a planned hiatus. So for my ruling, I will not count them. GOONS 1.0 was vastly different to GOONS 2.0... so I will allow them... with that in mind, could you add a third?

It was not a "planned hiatus". They made bad decisions, they got crushed, and later they re-founded. I was there when it happened and I was in good with VE at the time. They collapsed and failed as an alliance and it was quite traumatic for the long-term members. The differences between VE 1.0 and 2.0 are also quite significant. That said I don't think I'd put VE 1.0 on a top 3 list. Perhaps a longer one.

For me including the entirety of CN history...

1. MK

2. LUE

3. NAAC

MK goes along with the NPO as one of the biggest power-centers this game has ever had. Their influence is still happening, so it's almost hard to discuss MK in past-tense, but as far as defunct alliances they will top this list for a long time. I suspect the NPO or my own alliance (maybe) would have to disband before I'd remove it from top pick.

LUE won't be understood by people that weren't there. For a while they were the most polarizing alliance out there. You either hated them or thought they were fun guys who weren't as stuffy as the order-types. And they went full out. They had some of the best trolls the game has ever had. They were full on our declared enemy but we had fun with it, until the end that is when things turned very nasty. Also they were creative. When they disbanded, MK took its place, but with more meanness and less silly humor.

NAAC is a bit of of selfish pick. They were one of the big three early days. They were arguably the most power alliance for a bit. They also defined the early conflicts between the orders, and of course opposition to them directly led to the founding of Polaris, which has then had a large impact on the game. Destroying the NAAC was the single most important goal for some of us for a long time, and it took ages (by our standards at the time). We also considered them incredibly worthy foes. They fought well, planned well, and had a good choice in team color.

Edited by RandomInterrupt

And to add on to what Random said: Vox had members that weren't on the AA, adding to the guerrilla/terrorist vibe it gave off. It certainly wasn't an alliance by most markers.

it was more beneficial for people to NOT be on the AA and instead be spying on alliances.

I see alot of votes for LUE.. but I dont really see why. MK is what LUE got right. At the end of the day, LUE folded , not to the norms most alliances fold to (inactivity and time catching up with them)... rather they folded to political pressures. I suppose you could make the argument that that (in and of itself)... effected the world greatly, I just do not see it.

LUE
NAAC
MK

I see alot of votes for LUE.. but I dont really see why. MK is what LUE got right. At the end of the day, LUE folded , not to the norms most alliances fold to (inactivity and time catching up with them)... rather they folded to political pressures. I suppose you could make the argument that that (in and of itself)... effected the world greatly, I just do not see it.

Yeah totally however LUE were far more likeable...especially contrasted with some of MK's members attitudes and antics.

EDIT: And I should add that LUE were hugely important in the Great Wars era.

Edited by Cataduanes

That's why I ranked MK higher. Honest question because I don't really know who you are, were you around for the LUE days? Yes, MK outdid them, but in many ways MK was a successor state, and opposition to or support for LUE literally defined the entire game for a good long time.