Jump to content

War Never Changes V4


Recommended Posts

Note: No OOC permitted. Any comments are appreciated but contact me by PM or on IRC
March 10th 2015
Nikolai Vasilev takes over from Vladimir Putin as President of the Russian Federation. United Russia Party increase their power in the Duma pushing through new legislation which allows Russia to start increasing military and economic expenditure.
March 15th 2015
United States of America President Daniel Wilkes who was still in his first year of office and Peoples Republic of China President Jing Lei signs the Sino-Pacific Co-operation Treaty in response to the new hardline Russia and Chinese worries about Russian incursions into its airspace. Agreements are made for military co-operations and the Taiwan question is put on hold for the duration of the conflict with Taiwan willingly allowing the USA to maintain its 6th Fleet in the region.
April 7th 2015
Russia begins covert military buildup along its frontiers with the Baltic States, Belarus, Ukraine and the Peoples Republic of China. These actions are spotted by US and UK satellites and the US military goes to DEFCON 3. Western European States such as France, Germany and Italy begin readying their forces.
May 31st 2015
Russian Spetsnaz Soldiers insert into the Baltic States, Belarus and Ukraine. Their orders are to wait for the order to begin their sabotage operations. The military force now along Russia's western border now numbers one hundred divisions, including six armoured and fifteen mechanised divisions. Three thousand air assault soldiers prepare to capture vital objectives in the first hours of the invasion, codenamed Operation Catherine after Catherine the Great.
June 1st 2015
Baltic States
Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania had been infiltrated by no less than twenty Spetsnaz teams which at four am after the order had been given, seized every major road leading west from the Russian border. At the same time air drops were made over the Estonian Capital Tallinn, the Latvian Capital Riga and the Lithuanian Capital Vilnius. Paratroopers also captured vital road and rail junctions plus all three international airports in all three capitals. Fighting would continue as the Russian paratroopers struggled to capture or keep hold of their objectives in the face of fierce opposition.
Ground attacks were made into Estonia and Latvia by thirty five divisions. They ran into heavy resistance, with some of the Helicopter borne forces flying ahead of the ground forces advancing towards both Tallinn and Riga being decimated. The forces entering Lithuania had been detached from the armies invading Belarus and had also began their advance into the country. 
The invasion of Belarus started at four twenty am with the Spetsnaz units also supported by six thousand paratroopers captured the vital objectives of the main roads and bridges leading towards Minsk. The ground assault was made up of sixty divisions which launched its offensive around thirty minutes after the first air drops. 
However the limited options of roads would make the assault laboured and costly, with the defenders able to block the axis's of advance with reinforced positions, inflicting heavy losses on the Russian spearheads. One Russian unit was reduced from a regiment to the size of a brigade in just six hours of fighting north of Orsha.
This part of Operation Catherine would be made by sixty per cent of the attacking force, with nine thousand paratroopers dropping along the entire border and at least two hundred miles inside the border covering the Capital Kiev. The bulk of the air strikes were made on Ukrainian soil, with focus being made on the Ukrainian Military units near the border areas.
At four thirty am seventy two divisions supported by three hundred fighter aircraft and bombers struck. The furious assault took the Ukrainian Army by surprise and six spearheads advanced west. Resistance in the first six hours was at first weak due to the sheer shock of the attack, but as the resistance by the Ukrainian Army began to stiffen, the advance began to slow. 
Russian Naval Infantry had around five am launched an attack across the Kerch Strait supported by paratroopers, within two hours capturing Kerch itself. However their assault was disrupted by local Ukrainian units which had limited the gains to only a precarious bridgehead projecting just a mile west of Kerch, with two further bridgeheads being liquidated by strong counterattacks and the Russian units destroyed.
By the end of the day the average advance of the invasion was restricted to seventy miles along the entire front, with most Russian spearhead units suffering heavy casualties. The furthest westerly Russian unit had been halted just nineteen miles short of Donets'k.
With war now engulfing Europe, the European Union, the United States and the Peoples Republic of China immediately condemned the attack. The United Nations Security Council held a meeting at one pm that same day. The meeting was tense and with the Russian Delegate not present as he had been withdrawn in protest, condemned the attack. However that is all they could do. President Daniel Wilkes was recorded when leaving the meeting, saying "If we don't do something soon the whole of Europe will be under the Russian cloud of occupation."
Two Hours later United States of America begins reinforcing its bases in Germany. The rest of Europe goes to high alert and begins to mobilise. The Royal Navy begins operations in the North Sea alongside the French Navy and German Navy. Norwegian vessels also take part although they mainly undertake short range patrols of their coastline. 
Edited by Curristan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

June 2nd 2015
The Russian offensive was continued in the south of the country with five thrusts aimed at the Dnieper River with concentric attacks on Donets'k. Six Infantry and three Armoured divisions surrounded the city before beginning to fight through street by street. Four divisions of Ukrainian 6th Army which had been in positions protecting the city were cut off from the main elements which had been by now pushed at least twenty miles further west as the city was bypassed to the north and south by the Russian 12th Army. They were now being squeezed slowly towards the centre of the city, being mercilessly shelled and bombed.
Meanwhile far to the south, elements of Ukrainian 17th Army had launched a counter assault towards Kharkov from the vicinity of the city of Krasnohrad. Its assault took the Russian forward units completely by surprise, driving them back to within twenty miles of the outskirts of Kharkov. This assault would also disrupt massively the invasion in this area. Russian units would be redeployed to contain this counter attack rather than continue their own advance.
June 3rd 2015
The Russian offensive in the south continued. Donets'k was continuing to be levelled by the pitched street fighting between the elements of Ukrainian 6th Army, which was now trapped in the centre of city and the Russian 12th Army which was now prepared to eliminate the final pocket behind their front in the south. They were now being squeezed slowly towards the centre of the city, being mercilessly shelled and bombed. The burning buildings made fire support useless, so hand to hand fighting was commonplace, with the surviving Ukrainian units unwilling to yield.
Further west, the Ukrainian 6th Army had been fighting well as it was defending the approaches to the Dnieper River. It had received reinforcement, allowing them to mount repeated counter attacks, in one area just east of the city of Pavohrad managing to cut off a Russian unit after it had sped into an ambush. The Mechanised Brigade would be ordered to hold position, while efforts were made to relieve them. However the Ukrainian units masking it would refuse to yield any ground, making the relief effort frustrating.
Meanwhile the Ukrainian 10th Army had managed to recover the situation in the Crimea as Russian pressure allowed them to finally take Feodosiya. The Russian attack was then halted due to resistance they had not expected. The Russian Black Sea Fleet would soon sail from Sevastopol as its base had been assaulted and captured by a force of Ukrainian Naval Infantry. Some surface vessels would arrive to take possession of the now Ukrainian bases, forcing the Russian vessels to flee eastwards towards Novorossiysk, though they would most likely support Russian operations on the Kerch Peninsula.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

June 4th 2015
The Russian forces in the country had continued its advance. That same day the City of Vitebsk was now within range of the Russian guns. Nikolai Vasilev goes on National Television stating Vitebsk's impending fall, which was in fact imminent. Its defenders were in the process of a phased withdrawal down Highway M3 towards Minsk. Mines and rearguard positions would now be employed as the Belarus Ground Forces recoiled from the assault.
That same day, the Estonian Capital Tallinn was isolated from the rest of the country, fighting now raging in its outer suburbs. Russian forces had bypassed the city and were racing towards Parnu on the Gulf of Riga coast. The northwestern area of the country was slowly being cut off as the Mechanised units punched through a gap now opening.
Meanwhile Russian forces were closing in on the Capital Riga, with the closest spearheads now only thirty five miles east of the city. The Latvian Military had been overwhelmed in the frontier battles, with the remnants of their ground units falling back to defend Riga. Some units had been isolated from the main force and were falling back into the western areas of Latvia or preparing to fall back into Lithuania. 
However there was now a plan. Evacuation by sea from the port of Liepāja had been under way and had now been halted, with units and aircraft that had been escaping to Sweden across the Baltic Sea be redeployed to hold a unified defensive perimeter with the Lithuanians. 
The situation was quite precarious, as Russian thrusts from the north east and from Kaliningrad converged on the Capital Kaunas. The remnants of the Lithuanian Military were being pressed into a bridgehead in the western areas of the country, with smaller pockets being formed by fast moving Russian units. 
The situation in the Baltic States had been recovered but only just.  This bridgehead which projected up to seventy miles east of the Baltic coast, would be held with the Latvian Military. This new line was designed to be a permanent lodgment. They knew that the Russians would soon assault this bridgehead, but they knew that they had time to prepare due to the order for units now engaging the Russian spearheads to keep fighting to stall them for as long as possible. Time was what they needed, though events to the south was making this stand precarious.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

June 5th 2015



The Russian assault had continued to gain ground, with the breakout of Russian forces in the Crimea effectively ending Ukrainian resistance in this sector. Immediately defending units in Sevastopol would begin moving through Simferopol further northeast and along the coast, before racing northwest before the advancing Russian units towards the Dnieper River in line with the main Ukrainian front.


At the same time, the bridges over the Dnieper in Kiev and other cities spanning the River were wired to blow, with Government offices and the Government itself being withdrawn to Lviv. The stand on the Dnieper would be the main resistance line, with the three hundred mile held northern border forming the northern flank.


The first battle at this new line would begin the following day at Dnipropetrovsk, with all day Ukrainian units halting several Russian attempts to force a crossing. Several simultaneous battles took place all along this new line, with Russian units suffering severe casualties.



June 6th



The defending units were now in full retreat, yielding the Capital Minsk doing that afternoon. Its collapse had been the result of constant Russian pressure and the now lack of reserves. It was expected that soon all resistance would cease, with remnants falling back through Slonim towards Poland.



Baltic States

June 7th


The defensive line had been continually assaulted and had buckled in some areas, with Riga being a notable loss. However the Latvian units had rallied just ten miles west of the city, preventing any consolidation of the Russian gains. Elsewhere the line was holding, with the first engagement of Polish forces against Russia as a Mechanised Brigade landing at Liepāja is deployed to support Latvian attempts to regain Riga which would begin in a few days pending events.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...