The Zigur

georgia-sunset_789541i.jpg

The days grow short as a modern Lannister soldier patrols at sundown.

I was born in the long winter. Struggle is all that I know.

My first nation declared sovereignty in the aftermath of the Third Great War. Neo Waianae was a refuge for the Hawaiian Nation, a place where our people finally had a homeland after hundreds of years of oppression. But even in the tropics, the long winter clawed into our very souls. Thousands of nuclear detonations left the world enveloped by nuclear fallout, the aftermath of one of the greatest conflicts the world would ever know.

Starve06_R1.jpg

Temperatures were well below freezing in tropical Neo Waianae, May 2007

Our people were not prepared for the cold, but our tropical location saved us. In the North, entire nations froze to death, Presidents and Kings starved in their bunkers after their citizens froze in their homes. Worse, there were rumors of evil things with anonymous faces that crept in the cold, slipping through windows, stealing babies from the crib for an warm meal. Defeated soldiers of lulz from the Great War perhaps.

1377424_623416287698974_2120951718_n.jpg

The winter was much harsher in northern climates

The long winter lasted years. In the warmer months we would see a little daylight for a few hours, but in the cold months when the storms reached the tropics, the night reigned supreme for more than half the year. We should count ourselves blessed, because the children of the North never knew the sun until the long summer began to shine in 2009.

5297455677_ff370fc232.jpg

A few hours of daylight would bless us in the "warm" months

Wars were harsh back then. In the cold, there was no room for mercy. The Imperial Assault Alliance was one of many alliances that were crushed by a desperate hegemony over scarce resources. My soldiers were among the best trained in the world, but what could they do against waves of starved, hardened men who came from a far harsher cold and desired the little warmth we enjoyed.

1378206_623422237698379_813846867_n.jpg

IAA soldiers defend a town in Neo Waianae against Pacifica's might

In Vox Populi, many high-profile fugitives continued a war for survival, but with arrival of the long summer the movement fell apart. By early 2010, the summer was here in strength, and many of us who had endured the winter for so long abandoned our wars and conquests to enjoy the prosperity the sun brings. I made my peace with Pacifica, understanding the necessity of ruthless actions in the winter cold. My struggle in the long winter made my adoption of Francoism natural.

For over three years we have enjoyed the longest summer in living memory, and there is no place for a winter ruler in the days of the sun. I resigned all titles, and enjoyed retirement as new leaders rose and fought and struggled in the warm daylight. The evil, creeping things went into the far north and slept.

264438_562666030440667_935298544_n.jpg

Summer Soldiers fighting Summer wars

And now I watch as summer soldiers fight summer wars, and a generation of summer children take power, unaware of the perils that winter brings. Wars are no longer cruel, no longer fought for survival. Peace terms are generous, and the conquered live to fight another day. They do not know the winter, never experienced peeing in the cold, the sharp bite of whipping wind in subzero temperatures. The temptations of cannibalism. Trying to stay awake, knowing sleep means certain death.

Brace yourselves, winter is coming. This one will be longer and more cruel, and bring with it dark nights and creeping terrors. Few will heed this warning, and fewer still will survive. What can summer soldiers do when the night comes? What are blood feuds and grudge matches next to the heartless cold? Few enough of us remain to remember those years. May God have mercy on us all...

Edited by Tywin Lannister

Reroll with a Baratheon name ffs.

It has already been established that Tywin Lannister is the return of Junkalunka, a fellow whose claim to fame is having spent years opposed to the abuses of the NPO only to find in the end the he really loved them all that time. He became one of the foremost scholars of Francoism, second only to the esteemed Vladimir himself. Interestingly enough, he is also the only person left on this world who gives a rat's behind about that pseudophilosophy.

It has already been established that Tywin Lannister is the return of Junkalunka, a fellow whose claim to fame is having spent years opposed to the abuses of the NPO only to find in the end the he really loved them all that time. He became one of the foremost scholars of Francoism, second only to the esteemed Vladimir himself. Interestingly enough, he is also the only person left on this world who gives a rat's behind about that pseudophilosophy.

You flatter me Rebel Virginia, although you exaggerate. You make my transition sound like it went from black to white. In fact, my political maturity took years, and came in stages.

If you look at the alliance timeline in my sig, I started in the Libertarian, staunchly anti-NPO Fifth Column Confederation. Then, I went through a series of alliances, each of which truly reflects different philosophies in the political spectrum in sequence. Finally, becoming an ex-Pacifican with an independent perspective of Francoism, finally capable of achieving the Lannister legacy.

Exactly... The first time is a tragedy, the second one is a farce.

The intention of repeating history only leads to unwilled parodies.

We all know that some Alliances will be getting a lot of "winter" in the future... and that such thing is hardly related to "francoism".

There was a time I shared your point of view Zacharias. I had a vague understanding of what Francoism was when I stood against NPO. But unlike most others I decided to delve into the literature to gain a better understanding of how NPO thought back in those days.

If you don't try to understand how your enemy thinks, how can you possibly defeat them? My strength is knowing how every major alliance in the game thinks. That comes from analysis and study. Simply hating your enemy and dismissing what he says is not sufficient. "IF you know the enemy and you know yourself, you will win a thousand battles."

There was a time I shared your point of view Zacharias. I had a vague understanding of what Francoism was when I stood against NPO. But unlike most others I decided to delve into the literature to gain a better understanding of how NPO thought back in those days.

If you don't try to understand how your enemy thinks, how can you possibly defeat them? My strength is knowing how every major alliance in the game thinks. That comes from analysis and study. Simply hating your enemy and dismissing what he says is not sufficient. "IF you know the enemy and you know yourself, you will win a thousand battles."

I much prefer he battle against whatever strawman he thinks Francoism is. Though Pacifica gains little by sharpening her claws in the bellies of the weak.

• 3 weeks later...

Winter comes annually - this is the norm. Just like the sun rises. I think, yes, it is more likely that winter will come before global warming.

Oh my sweet summer child, what do you know of the real winter? This one will be long, and dark things will come with it.

Edited by Tywin Lannister