So how exactly do I play this game??? (absolute newbie here)

ViKtoricus

Seriously guys? Can someone give me a real answer? You two just snubbed me.

How do I play? Like, how? Can YOU yourself guide me?

Get trades, do tech deals, buy infra, buy improvements, buy tech to sell.

Pick your flag, edit your nations settings to create the best output, change government and religion when needed.

Get raided because you have no alliance.

The game is mostly lead by Alliances.

An Alliance is a group of nations working as a team.

Most of the Alliances will ask you to visit an external forum and register there and apply for membership.

If you don't join an Alliance, the chances of getting attacked by bigger nations are extremely high...

Most alliances offer the new nations some "help" to grow.

That's why everyone is talking to you about "Alliances". The chances of survival without one are close to 0%.

I don't know where to start.

So, I already have a nation and everything. And for example, let's say I want to roleplay as someone who wants to improve my economy, how do I do that?

I'm so confused.

The best piece of advice is that the roleplay in this game is run by alliances of nations, not individual nations. An exception is the national RP forums (http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/forum/72-open-national-rp/), the CN wiki and other similar ones in external alliance forums, but they do only constitute a small minority of the players in this game.

Most of this game is based on interaction, conflict and cooperation with others (unless you are a lone rogue), rather than self-representation

Edited by Dragonshy

Check out the Nation Building Guide posted about in this area. Also review all those messages that you got when you first logged on and pick the one you liked the best and join that alliance.

You are, of course, free to not join an alliance but people band together in these groups we
call alliances for one primary very good reason: there is strength in numbers. If you are alone
then other nations in your range will attack you for the sole reason of taking your stuff and will not
have a second thought about doing it "Everyone does" and so on. Pick a group of at least 20 nations
and join them. If you find that you don't like that group, do little research and find one you do like and move there later.

Edited by White Chocolate

Check out the Nation Building Guide posted about in this area. Also review all those messages that you got when you first logged on and pick the one you liked the best and join that alliance.

You are, of course, free to not join an alliance but people band together in these groups we
call alliances for one primary very good reason: there is strength in numbers. If you are alone
then other nations in your range will attack you for the sole reason of taking your stuff and will not
have a second thought about doing it "Everyone does" and so on. Pick a group of at least 20 nations
and join them. If you find that you don't like that group, do little research and find one you do like and move there later.

What she said.

Alliances give you security and will want to buy technology from you (they will explain how that works), this is the fastest way for a new nation to grow. Aside from that read the wiki if you want to catch up on the goings-on and alliance politics.

1. Set your tax rate to 28%.

2. Join an alliance, preferably Solis :) http://cn-solis.org/.

3. Start doing tech deals: A larger nation will send you 6 million in money, which you will then use about 1.5 to 2.5 mil of to buy up to 100 technology. Use the rest for the next step. In addition, find a good trade circle.

4. Buy infra, soldiers, and tech. Maintain 100 tech at all times for tech deals.

5. Pay bills. Collect taxes every 10 days for more income, this is called back collecting.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

• 3 weeks later...

They didn't snub you, and they didn't give you a fake answer.  It's essentially impossible for someone to join the game and do well with no previous experience and without joining an alliance.

Alliances will help you learn the game, help you find tech deals, give you advice on how to grow your nation, and give you protection.

So they suggested you should join an alliance.  I'd give you the same advice. 

If you choose to ignore the advice, then it's on you.  It's stilly to come asking for advice and then start complaining "I don't like that advice" without even trying it.