Greatest Ruler Rivalries

Malik Shabazz

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Among nation rulers, there can be no greater rivalry than the one between Ivanelterrible and Chris Kaos. It was a beautiful moment in history to watch; one man, not just fighting the best GATO could throw at them, but winning, with Chris Kaos ending up deleted and shamed. It was almost enough for me to believe that justice could exist in the Cyberverse.

Almost.

Edit: Doitzel was a good friend, a good leader, and a fine schemer. Who are you?

And in a ironic circumstance, Ivan is now a reroll and member of GATO. Fun times.

Some of the internal BFF/bloc/alliance disputes were the most harsh.

If we are counting internals, then the whole Peggy_Sue vs. Me thing that developed in late 2011 very nearly ripped UPN to pieces as some remember. At the time I didn't consider it a rivalry, but invariably that seems to be what it became at some point.

Weird times.

You should have been part of Citadel.

those were absolute fun times. We just didn't want to empower the Orders in Q as they went on a crusade picking off alliances at random. 

I wouldn't really consider them extremely, uh, interesting though. Or particularly great, as far as ruler rivalries went

Unfortunately this one has a clear victor already. Props to my dude Kenny for the first-round knockout.

Yea boi

Basically any internal squabble.

The big names get all the credit but rarely are as fierce as inter-alliance rivalries.

This is truth. If I climbed the ranks at all in NSO and that coincided with when Dopp surged back into activity... I can only imagine. Things like Crymson and Grub are like the two popular kids who hate each other. It's well known, it's fierce, but it's distant. You don't have to deal with it on a day-to-day basis. They're nothing compared to like, sibling rivalries. You may have that kid at school you hate, but you don't [i]have[/i] to deal with it. Siblings? There's no escaping that shit. Heads will clash. There will be blood. Hopefully this illustration makes sense, I think it's damn nice [6]

Edited by Letterkenny

Saber/Anyone in Gramlins

Crymson/A numbler of people in Gramlins

--------------------

As someone that wasn't there when the TOP/GRE relationship started, it was completely puzzling to behold.  Saber and Crymson and Syzgy and Bob Janova would go round and round saying some of the most awful things to one another.

Then Feanor would pop in like the Fonzie, say, "Hey!" And everything would go back to normal until next time.

I've been noticing a trend in these threads - they are all super nostalgic, looking back on the good ol' times, with a handful of noobs posting their opinions, being completely unaware their petty squabbles or what have you pale in comparison to other things in CN's history.

Sad the state of this game is, what with the utter lack of anything modern coming close to the epic-ness (for a lack of a better word) of our history.

I've been noticing a trend in these threads - they are all super nostalgic, looking back on the good ol' times, with a handful of noobs posting their opinions, being completely unaware their petty squabbles or what have you pale in comparison to other things in CN's history.

Sad the state of this game is, what with the utter lack of anything modern coming close to the epic-ness (for a lack of a better word) of our history.

I see a bunch of old farts who simply outgrew Cybernations and in true hispter-jaded fashion continue to play and post despite running out of breath to say otherwise.

Could be like it once was again

Could be like it once was again

Extremely doubtful without a serious reinvention or some other reason for older players to get excited about it again. In the business world we have this theory called, "The Life Cycle of a Product," (graph depicting the theory below) in which a given product, in this case CN, is developed, introduced, it grows, matures, then eventually goes into decline. CN has been in decline for a long time. The Karma War was really the end of the mature phase and CN has been declining ever since. Most of these great occurrences older players are referencing occurred not even in the Mature phase, but rather the growing phase, back when the world wasn't necessarily set in stone and there were ways to change it. Back when tech raiding was a lot more mainstream and NPO stomped opponents for the hell of it, when alliances commonly had over 500 members, etc. The product that is CN is old news and is no longer exciting for a great many people. For it to gain new life, it would require something new and drastic.

lifecycle.gif