An obvious question on reps (imo) but hey I'm bored

magicninja

To tax or not to tax  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So say you get a rogue that IS a member of a well known alliance. Perhaps they do a spy op that does very little damage...maybe destroy cms and they kill a CM or two...perhaps they do an op that does no damage at all.... Whatever... the actual damage done is only in the few thousand tops. Do you accept the cost of damage or do you shine on that and say its a waste of a slot and only take $3mil minimum? Say your on the other side do you only offer to pay damages or do you pay the $3mil so its not a waste of a slot? Are you ruthles and demand the attacker's head? Do you just chalk it up as no harm really done and move on?

I'd either hit the guy or not hit the guy as a rogue if it was a no damage spy op, depending on whether I thought he was being particularly asshattish or if I thought the alliance he was in couldn't control their stupid members. Would not factor reps in either way.

I'd either hit the guy or not hit the guy as a rogue if it was a no damage spy op, depending on whether I thought he was being particularly asshattish or if I thought the alliance he was in couldn't control their stupid members. Would not factor reps in either way.

That's always been my go-to, as well. Reps really don't accomplish much directly, given that the teensy nations generally cannot pay, and things like declaring the nation a rogue and having them turfed from their AA is an overreaction given that it's usually a nation too new to have any idea what they're doing, who will thus likely delete thereafter.

Instead, give $3m to the nation that was spied upon, another $3m to an active micronation in the same range, have them declare (with the permission of the alliance of the offending nation, of course) on the transgressor and spend a couple days beating them about, until the spying nation feels sorry. Then, all parties go their merry way. Everyone learns a Very Special Lesson, and because the nations are so small, damages will end up numbering in the tens of dollars. Plus, they get to experience the unparalleled joy that is the war system. 

Annihilate the offenders alliance, and then all their allies, and their allies allies, etc,etc,etc.  

I would have to consider option a at the first offence, but if there is a second then I'd definitely choose c, and if necessary, war.   

Edited by William Bonney

Depends on a lot of things. Anything less than 3 million or 50 tech is a waste of a slot, so the actual damages might be lower than the reparations. Depending on the situation you might wish to take the hardnosed approach and insist on "reparations or else", or you might get lucky and the other alliance might release the member for military punishment.<br /><br />If it is the member of an ally, you might even let the guy off easy (maybe it was a newbie). If it is a member of an alliance that is in an antagonistic alliance (or grouping) then again there might be other considerations that will impact your decisions. Depending on the situation you might wish to push hard or let it go (depending on how war hungry the world is)

Anything less than 3 mil or 50 tech is a waste of FA slot, so even if one of my noobs attacks someone and the damages were minimal, I'd pay a minimum 3 mil. The same goes for non destructive spy ops. Spying is an act of war, and the reps are nothing more than a slap on the hand, but it shows you respect someone's sovereignty so it's the gesture really that counts.

I didn't read comments to see if someone said this already or not...but if the nation who had the CMs isn't in a war, why does the nation have CMs in the first place? I think that nation did a favor for the other nation to be honest. Maybe the nation with the missiles should pay reps to the one who spied? :huh:

In a situation like this, political context looms large.

For example, if this is a close ally or a friendly AA you may just give an FYI and have them handle things while you aid up your guy. If the AA in question is antagonistic to you or a repeat offender then you might fill the offending's slots before you even speak to them and work from there, likely with a full slot of reps in mind. This would rarely lead to war unless there is some offending pattern or unless you were going to war anyway and just wanted an excuse

You thank the nice R&R nation who reduced the CM stockpile of your noob, IMO. 

no, goto war over it.

Both valid options.

A 3rd option is run to the OWF to share before even having a decent talk with the alliance of the dangerous destroyer of CM's.

But I have the solution.GATO has hereby permission to destroy all cm's of R&R nations not at war. Hell if you succeed we'll even throw in 3M as a thank you for cleaning our stats. 

Edit: 

I have to admit:

I didn't read comments to see if someone said this already or not...but if the nation who had the CMs isn't in a war, why does the nation have CMs in the first place? I think that nation did a favor for the other nation to be honest. Maybe the nation with the missiles should pay reps to the one who spied? :huh:

this is an interesting solution as well :)

Edited by EgoFreaky

When I started out on CN, the way to do it was actual costs.  Now the majority is standard 3 million and I hear a few people saying more. Times change.

Instead, give $3m to the nation that was spied upon, another $3m to an active micronation in the same range, have them declare (with the permission of the alliance of the offending nation, of course) on the transgressor and spend a couple days beating them about, until the spying nation feels sorry. Then, all parties go their merry way. Everyone learns a Very Special Lesson, and because the nations are so small, damages will end up numbering in the tens of dollars. Plus, they get to experience the unparalleled joy that is the war system. 

This is my preference.  Do both alliances a favor and give a demonstration why a nation should follow the alliance rules.  They are not just there to be annoying.

A small mistake that does no real harm shouldn't even warrant an OWF poll on how to deal with it.

It seems to me that when it's happened to us, we usually just ask for the offending nation to pm an apology or something simple like that, so everyone knows it's not cool but also acknowledgesno harm done.

Even that's probably overkill for something so tiny as this, but meh. Anything more than that is just because someone wants to make it in to more.

A small mistake that does no real harm shouldn't even warrant an OWF poll on how to deal with it.

It seems to me that when it's happened to us, we usually just ask for the offending nation to pm an apology or something simple like that, so everyone knows it's not cool but also acknowledgesno harm done.

Even that's probably overkill for something so tiny as this, but meh. Anything more than that is just because someone wants to make it in to more.

You would think so but the myriad of responses I have seen shows that alliances deal with this simple and common situation in a lot of different ways. I've found it interesting reading the responses.

Edit>> Even more interesting are the poll responses. There was a time, albeit a long time ago, when damages done were the going rate even if the damages were less than $3mil. Edited by magicninja