Forum Update

admin

Do you like the new forums?  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Isaac MatthewII' timestamp='1349126527' post='3036296']
If you want to be an ass because I disagree with you fine. But rest assured I would not give you any money while you were at war with The Combine.
[/quote]
[quote name='Winner12345' timestamp='1349126649' post='3036302']
I WAS KIDDING ISSAC or is it isacc or iuessac or whatever. But seriously i can get you a 2 mill/50 tech deal if you can get me some protection. I am actually attempting some negotiations with the combine to settle all of this.
[/quote]

Please take this elsewhere, this thread is about the forum update. You can private message each other if need be.

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1349126959' post='3036311']
Did the font change? All of the text seems bigger (especially in my ASR :( ). Not sure if it actually changed, or if it's just an illusion from the sides being pushed in.
[/quote]

Both. It`s so smushed together you can`t tell whether it`s an ilusion or actually that way. THIS IS AN AWFUL FORUM!

On a security level, the new forums are a major improvement. On a graphical / design level, the old forum look and layout should have been retained at least until new graphics and design choices were made and player-made alliances were given enough time to produce the appropriate pips.

[quote name='Instr' timestamp='1349127365' post='3036319']
On a security level, the new forums are a major improvement. On a graphical / design level, the old forum look and layout should have been retained at least until new graphics and design choices were made and player-made alliances were given enough time to produce the appropriate pips.
[/quote]I

now the forum is new but just because something is newer doesn`t mean it is safer. Plus when you have a new forum put up, there is always some sort of security issue so it might seem safer, but it probably isn`t.
, yet.

Well, finally moving into the modern times.

I think you need to move away from the vanilla IPB default style and do something that livens the place up a little and pays respect to the game, but at the same time not going over the top, because these forums are about the content of the posts, not about the appearance of the pages.

That said, my biggest greivence with this version of IPB, having used it somewhat previously is that lastpass won't imput my login details, and copy/pasting is time consuming and I don't actually remember them. This version has alot of nice features, however, a lot of nice touches, one of my more favorite ones is how it handles the multi-quote, amongst many other things.

Edited by memoryproblems

I'm sure everyone will get over the change in look soon enough, it is a bit of a shocker after having the old forums for [i]SO LONG[/i] though.

Edit: I also want my .gif avatar back and will be very displeased until it is.

Edited by USMC123

[quote name='Winner12345' timestamp='1349127476' post='3036321']
I

now the forum is new but just because something is newer doesn`t mean it is safer. Plus when you have a new forum put up, there is always some sort of security issue so it might seem safer, but it probably isn`t.
, yet.
[/quote]

I don't mean to be too critical, but I don't think you know anything about web software. New things do usually have bugs and security issues, but normally when they are pre-release, and this particular version of IPB isn't particularly 'hot off the presses', I convinced TPF to upgrade to this particular line of IPB I want to say something like 9 or 10 months ago, I don't believe IPB has done much more then incremental version upgrades/releases since then.

Old software is more dangerous because it's not developed, and it's not patched, and the longer you wait to upgrade, the more difficult the upgrade is going to be.

It'll take me some time to get acclimated to the new look of the forum and perhaps I'm just old fashioned but I still miss the original IPB forums we had years ago. Whether this becomes a step in the right direction or a step in the wrong one will remain to be seen. Although, the effort on your part is certainly welcome Admin.

I'm not sure if I dislike this new skin or if I'm just not used to it yet, what I'm really missing is the bigger avatars(150x150) and now forums doesn't allow us to use gifs on avatar who are bigger than 75kb even if we host the image in another place. Other than that I see no problem with it.