CN`s First Embassy and Consulate Program

Winner12345

Embassies, Consulates, and the Difference

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Embassies and consulates are both types of diplomatic missions. Diplomatic missions are a way for governments to communicate with each other and remain in touch with foreign governments, foreign citizens (public diplomacy) and their own citizens abroad.

The embassy in the centerpiece of the diplomatic campaign from one nation to another. By definition, it is located in the capital city or governmental center so if you're currently offering embassies in a variety of cities– stop. Embassies are run by ambassadors, who are the highest-ranking diplomats that your nation will be sending abroad. The ambassador's job, quite simply, is to represent your government's opinions to the host government. Generally, the embassy will also perform consular roles in the capital city.

Technically, there are two kinds of consulates: consulates-general and plain old consulates. In practice, there is no real difference and the terms only serve to distinguish a consulate located in a major city (e.g., LA or New York in the United States) from one located in a less important one. Consulates-general are headed by consuls-general rather than regular consuls. As you may have guessed by now, consulates are located in non-capital cities where there may be high concentrations of foreign nationals. Generally, this means that consulates are located in major tourism cities. This makes sense because the primary role of a consulate is to help out the represented nation's citizens while they are in the host nation. Consulates do things such as issue visas, replace lost passports, assist foreign nationals who have been arrested and promote trade between the represented nation and the host nation.

To summarize, there are two primary, functional difference between an embassy and a consulate: embassies are in the host nation's capital and conduct both traditional diplomacy and consular business while consulates are located in cities other than the capital and primarily promote trade and work with the represented nation's citizens while they are in the host nation.

[u]Application for a Embassy and/or Consulate[/u]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National Information:
- Full Name of Nation:
- Government Type:
- Head of State:
- Head of Government:
- Minister of Foreign Affairs or Equivalent:

Ambassadorial Information:
- Ambassador's Name:
- Ambassador's Family (if any):
- Are there any health of security issues local authorities should be alerted of?

Locational Information:
Please place any special requests in the "Second Choice Location" field and justify them in the field directly below it. Please make only realistic requests and be prepared to pay any fees associated with the design, construction or maintenance of special requests.
- First Choice Location:
- Second Choice Location:
- If requesting an embassy in the hills or making a special request, why do you feel this is necessary?

Staff and Equipment Information:
Please remember, limousines, armed/military vehicles, machine guns, explosives, riot gear and armor-piercing weapons are prohibited. We ask that you limit employment based on the guidelines above.
- Diplomatic Staff:
- Security Staff:
- Service Staff:
- Will you be hiring locally?
- Number and Type of Weapons:
- Number and Type of Vehicles:

Miscellaneous:
- Would you like us to establish an embassy in your nation?
- Do you have any special requests?
- Would you like to enter into trade/treaty talks?
- Is there any additional information we should know?
- Please declare any drugs, alcohol, animals or plants you are bringing into the country.

[b]Embassys Established[/b]
NONE
[b]Consulates Established[/b]
NONE

Generally (at least with me) when I establish an embassy with someone I assume consulates and I assume that is the function they are serving. If this isn't a discussion thread and its an actual application for nations to establish these types of things it goes in the IC thread. If it is for your nation IG and you aren't making an IC nation, it goes in the game role play thread.

[quote name='Isaac MatthewII' timestamp='1347543218' post='3029695']
Generally (at least with me) when I establish an embassy with someone I assume consulates and I assume that is the function they are serving. If this isn't a discussion thread and its an actual application for nations to establish these types of things it goes in the IC thread. If it is for your nation IG and you aren't making an IC nation, it goes in the game role play thread.
[/quote]Basically this...though he means forums, not threads.