Diplomacy close to home

Isaac MatthewII

Our allies to the north could no longer be left a blank page. Since their choice to leave the NADU, the Carolinas have never exchanged so much as a hello with its largest land bordering nation. The best opportunity for the Carolinian economy and the most underutilized. So as the British diplomatic tour was coming to a close with only one more nation to visit, the foreign affairs department decided to send David Smith the speak with their former allies.

[quote][u][b]To: The American Commonwealth
[IMG]http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af349/Isaac-Johnson/ncsealcolor-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

"We would like to open diplomatic relations with your great nation again. It has been a long time since we have talked and there is no real reason for that being such close nations in proximity to eachother. We will be willing to send our most experienced diplomat David Smith to your nation for further discussions on the matter. Should you accept our nation into your borders."[/quote]

Edited by Isaac MatthewII

[u][b]Private reply:[/b][/u]
Good, we will be glad to meet with you.

David got ready and took off from Charlotte Douglas to head for D.C. which was an area of particular importance to the Carolinas, being a former state of the great old Union, he was proud to represent the Carolinas on his final mission. As soon as he landed in D.C. he would head towards the pre-arranged diplomatic meeting area that the American Commonwealth set up. He would walk up to his assigned diplomat, fixing his tie as he headed up the stairs to shake hands. "Thank you for having me in your beautiful nation sir." as he shook the assigned diplomats hand.

Edited by Isaac MatthewII

The meeting took place in the White House where a special reception awaited the Carolinian representative. Secretary of State John Powers was the assigned official to greet him. "Hello and welcome to Washington D.C. and the American Commonwealth Mr. Douglas" he said shaking his hand. "I'm glad you enjoyed the sights on the way in. If you could follow me to the conference room down the hall we can get started". They headed into the conference room were beverages and snacks were offered. "So what would our neighbors to the south like to discuss with the Commonwealth?" Powers asked.

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

Smith shook the mans hand and began talking as he was fixing up his tie, a little twitch he had when he was under pressure. "Thank you, well the Carolinas have spent a long time being isolated from your nation, even when enemies were coming over your borders, communication was scarce. We wish to remedy that, so in short my government is interested in opening our trade borders with you in some sort of agreement. We think something along the lines of a Peace, Intel. Aid, and Trade treaty with an optional defensive clause would be best to open up initial relations. This would serve to grow our communities, economies, and further protect our nations in this increasingly aggressive, destructive world. We would like to also open research agreements along the lines of civil construction and safety. Our two great nations have been united many times in the history of this continent, sometimes under the same banner, many times as some of the most powerful nations in the world, and at times, rebelling against them. We believe it is time to redevelop that relation." he took a sip of his drink awaiting the response of the man in front of him.

"In all honesty Mr. Douglas my government will probably be unwilling to accept such an offer at this time as it seems like a rather large step forward for our respective nations. It is true we are neighboring nations and we sincerely hope for nothing but friendly relations but the reality is that we have not had much in the way of cooperation in our history on any level. We are willing to sign an economic agreement and non aggression is a given in terms of our national policy. In matters of mutual defense we cannot guarantee unwavering support and feel that our relationship has not matured to that point. That being said if something occurs that also threatens the safety of our own nation as well we will reserve the freedom of action to intervene regardless if a defense agreement is in place or not. I apologize if you were expecting more than this but these were the terms I was told I could agree to. If we can establish a history of friendship and cooperation then our relationship can move forward to the next step".

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

"Well we never asked for mutual defense but that is your decision" he thought [i]Charlotte is going to be pissed, it seems these people consider their history extending to only national rather than geographical, even so we have been in a mutual defense treaty before, a PIAT seemed small.[/i] "We would be happy to establish any sort of treaty to open trade and non aggression." The diplomat pulled out a treaty with non aggression, peace and trade clauses as well as a 42 hour cancellation period. "Well I am glad something could come of this, though it was not what I came here expecting, you cant win them all."

"Again I apologize Mr. Douglas. Hopefully we will be able to improve upon this treaty in the near future which is highly probable" said the secretary of state as he signed the treaty. "I'm not too sure about your travel arrangements but we can provide transportation to whatever destination you need to get to" he offered.

[quote name='MostGloriousLeader' timestamp='1346290334' post='3026519']
"Again I apologize Mr. Douglas. Hopefully we will be able to improve upon this treaty in the near future which is highly probable" said the secretary of state as he signed the treaty. "I'm not too sure about your travel arrangements but we can provide transportation to whatever destination you need to get to" he offered.
[/quote]
"Thank you for your offer, I am probably headed home to Charlotte in the diplomatic private jet. I sincerely hope we can build relations from here, though we understand why you are timid with our nation. On behalf of the republic, I apologize for our isolation from your nation."