Anglo-Scottish Diplomacy

Padraig Rua

[center][img]http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2012/03/Game-of-Thrones-Season-2.jpg[/img][/center]

It had been a long time since the British Isles held host to a proper English Kingdom. Although it could be said that the Irish filled the gap with their Anglo culture and society. But now with the renewal of the Kingdom of England, the Isles returned to a natural balance. A balance between Scotland, England and Ireland. The three primary peoples of the British Isles.

Flann Sinna, [i]Ard Rí na Alba[/i], decided it best to travel south and meet with the English King, Dominic Plantagenet. He believed it worthwhile to establish friendly relations with England as soon as possible. And so he rode south to Windsor Castle, with a rather large entourage which included two Rí Buiden, three Rí Túaithe, ten Ard Tiarna's and countless servants and retainers. The [i]Ard Rí[/i] also brought with him gifts for the new King and, more importantly, good intentions.

High King Flan Sinna would be graciously greeted as he entered the town of Windsor with an honour guard of Grenadier Guards in full ceremonial clothing aswell as the same Grenadier marching band that performed at the independance announcement. On approaching the Castle he would be brought inside and directed to the Office that would act as the setting for the meeting, his entourage would be permitted to roam the castle grounds freely or the town outside the gates, all gifts would be taken to a smaller room to the side of the office before being opened after the meeting.

On entering the office, Dominic would approach the High King and offered him his hand and a glass of cold Scotch before beckoning him to his seat at a nearby table.

"Your Highness, it is a pleasure to meet you, please take a seat, have a drink and get comfortable. Your visit wasn't unexpected, rather I was mid way through penning and invite for you to come to Windsor." he said brandishing a piece of paper.

The Ard Rí let out a loud laugh [i]" Scotch for a Scotsman. By the Gods, you know how to treat a guest properly! Sláinte!"[/i] The Ard Rí drank his scotch down in one gulp. He put the empty glass on the table and sat down. [i]" You can call me Flann. All my friends do. And I hope to call you one of those too."[/i] He laughed again. [i]" Between you and me, I don't like that 'Your Higness' and 'Sire' crap. Only arrogant fools insist on it. Fools who get removed by their people. Fools like that Irish King. HA! Some Gael he is!"[/i] Flann looked around the room with a smile. [i]" Nice place ya got here."[/i] After getting an eyeful of the room, he focused his attention on the piece of paper [i]" I suppose great minds think alike, aye? I think that deserves another glass. HA!"[/i] Though the Ard Rí was fifty years old, it seemed his youth had never left him. Both mentally and physically.

[i]" So, hows life treating ya? Good I hope."[/i]

The old sods upbeat attitude and general happy mood was a pleasent change to Dominics boring old Generals and other politicians he had encounted in Parliament.

"Help yourself to the Scotch, I have alot more of that in the cellar somewhere, I am sure we can find it later. Im of a similar mind over titles, but sometimes it is nice to make people squirm if they forget to say it once in a while Flan, you can call me Dom." Dominic replied as he finished his scotch and refilled both glasses.

"King Anthony aye, I dont know much about him I confess, he seems polite enough although I do suppose I will find out if I am a good judge of character when I get round to meeting him later this month. Lifes treating me quite well if I am honest, Kingship is a difficult line of work, and when your not only trying to rebuild a country, to regain its national identity. What about yourself, how was the journey down?"

[i]"Well then Dom, I tell ya, there is nothing better than a horse ride through the English countryside. Does the lungs some good. I see you have a lot of construction going on. Fair play to ya. I also noticed Hadrian's wall being rebuilt. I hope it won't be used to keep us barbarians out!"[/i] He let out another loud laugh and drank some more scotch. [i]" Good luck to you on that. If you need any help, just call."[/i] Flann filled some more scotch for the King and himself. [i]" You may be right about the Irish King, but I judge a King by his people to be honest. Anyway, enough about those "fellas". What would you like to talk about first?"[/i] Unexpectedly, Flann let out a loud burp. He put his hand on his stomach and said in a posh manner [i]" Why, excuse me."[/i] before letting out another loud laugh. [i]" BEAT THAT MY FRIEND!"[/i] he said, in a joyful tone.

[quote name='Chancellor Patrick' timestamp='1345846482' post='3025028']
[i]"Well then Dom, I tell ya, there is nothing better than a horse ride through the English countryside. Does the lungs some good. I see you have a lot of construction going on. Fair play to ya. I also noticed Hadrian's wall being rebuilt. I hope it won't be used to keep us barbarians out!"[/i] He let out another loud laugh and drank some more scotch. [i]" Good luck to you on that. If you need any help, just call."[/i] Flann filled some more scotch for the King and himself. [i]" You may be right about the Irish King, but I judge a King by his people to be honest. Anyway, enough about those "fellas". What would you like to talk about first?"[/i] Unexpectedly, Flann let out a loud burp. He put his hand on his stomach and said in a posh manner [i]" Why, excuse me."[/i] before letting out another loud laugh. [i]" BEAT THAT MY FRIEND!"[/i] he said, in a joyful tone.
[/quote]

"Your a very.... blunt person, I doubt I could beat that belch Flann. Aye, rebuilding the wall, I was going to build another one along our border with checkpoints where the roads cross the border, no offence intended of course, it wouldnt be a military installation, just a big, stone wall in the style of the York City walls, give England a more... English feel." he replied, now sipping his scotch.

"To be honest Flann I think we need to discuss the partition of the North Sea oil fields".

[i]" I wouldn't say blunt. I would say....relaxed. HA!"[/i] he slapped the table with his hand while laughing. [i]" Don't worry about the wall. I find it useful both ways. Aye, that I do. Anyway, the oil fields. I'm grand with that. I say give us each equal holdings. Or, jointly hold them and split the profits 50 - 50. Might be a good way of doing. Sure, so long as we both benefit from it, I'll be happy."[/i]. The Ard Rí finished his last bit of scotch and pushed the glass away. [i]" That's enough of that I think. I'l be falling of my horse on the ride back. What else do you want to discuss, my good man?"[/i]

[i]" Ha, your a smart man. You'll do well in this.....game of thrones ( :awesome: ).[/i] [i]Well, I want free trade between England and Scotland. I want very good relations too. Peace, happiness and friendship. Prosperity! I want our people to be brothers! Defending each other from common foes. Particularly the foreign ones. What do ya say?"[/i]

Edited by Chancellor Patrick

[quote name='Chancellor Patrick' timestamp='1345848687' post='3025044']
[i]" Ha, your a smart man. You'll do well in this.....game of thrones ( :awesome: ).[/i] [i]Well, I want free trade between England and Scotland. I want very good relations too. Peace, happiness and friendship. Prosperity! I want our people to be brothers! Defending each other from common foes. Particularly the foreign ones. What do ya say?"[/i]
[/quote]

"Well free trade is no issue and friendship certainly isnt an issue, we live on the same island, we are brothers, as are all the British countries. As for mutual defence, at the moment, I cannot commit England to a military alliance at this point. We are not developed enough nationally or militarily."