Crash and Burn

HHAYD

OOC: I have lost interest in CNRP, and lack the time to support it anyways. Maybe another time, maybe.

-------------------------------------------------------------
IC:

Things weren't going quite so well.

The Legislative and all of the states legislatives had butchered the Constitution, turning the country into a dystopia. A national secret police, the National Security Surveillance and Enforcement, and a paramilitary force, Midwest Republic Guard, was organized in the span of months, cementing President Cornwell's doing.

However, it would've taken longer for the house of card to come crashing down, had it not been for a few key issues:

1. Severe fuel shortage. Major fossil fuel subsidization made it significantly cheaper, and when demand outpaces supply, bad things tend to happen to an economy heavily reliant on fossil fuel. Green energy? Less than .5% of the total energy output of the country.

2. Environment. Deleting all of the environmental regulations made the businesses happier and temporarily boosted the economy. But it's hard to boost an economy when much of the productive workforce is being wasted by toxin exposures. Detroit's water supply was shut down when hundreds of thousands died, or slowly died when extremely lethal toxins leaked from ExIm's toxic waste dump sites that were located right next to Detroit's water source.

3. Economy deregulation. Like environmental regulations, everything came off the books. Monopolies were legal once again. This set off a boom-and-bust cycle, and when various economic bubbles in the housing, fuel, internet, car, and other economic sectors burst within weeks of each other, the economy tiled dangerously close to a full blown depression. A hyperinflation also kicked in; prime rates for loans (rates for the best customers) went as high as 40%, which hanged the construction and small businesses that depended on the loans. Oh, and the corrupted governments weren't interested in welfare such as unemployment benefits, which made it even more crushing on the affected citizens.

4. [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=108664&view=findpost&p=2922894"]Epidemic[/url]. SanHealth had a bright idea of weaponizing an ultra-drug resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and then manufacturing and selling antibiotics that would cure the TB. There was one minor problem, the weaponized TB gained resistance against SanHealth's wonder antibiotic in days, rendering the only cure useless. Since Midwest Republic and its states had no central disease control agencies, it set the stages for a quick and brutal disaster.

The public went into violent revolts, torching cities. Prototype military robots were deployed to crush the riots, armed with lethal weapons and backed up by automated tanks and helicopters. Nearly 80% of the Midwest Republic Military (MRM) had gone rogue and moved in to protect the rioters, declaring war on the monstrous government that they had no interest in supporting. What remained of the loyalist forces was merged with the tiny MRG that had about 5% of MRM's forces before the civil war.

Police forces weren't spared from the civil war either. Many revolted with the military and the public, those who remained loyal were merged with the NSSE.

It was most of MRM and the general public, pitted against the far weaker loyalist MRG, NSSE, and Cornwell's mercenaries. Unsurprisingly, the loyalists were being steamrolled by far superior numbers and most of them were forced into the northern portion of Michigan in weeks, the same spot where the previous government forces were crushed. The few others that were left behind were hopelessly surrounded.

There was one thing Cornwell had up his sleeve, and he had nothing to lose.

The country had recently stockpiled several dozen of nuclear weapons. There were only three stationary launch sites, only one of them, located in the St. Lawrence Naval Air Base, was in the rebels' hand. The other two were located in loyalist enclaves in Indiana and Illinois.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Midwest Times:

Several high ranking officials of the Treasury Department admitted that they had pulled an [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=104281&st=0&p=2773964&fromsearch=1&#entry2773964"]EnFu[/url] style accounting fraud, on a government level. The official budget is about $500 billion in the hole.

The actual debt is about $20 trillion in the hole. Some of the money was written off as blank checks to various politicians, major business owners and influential yet corrupt people. Much of the money simply disappeared.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midwest Republic News:

Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Minneapolis, and many other areas were recently hit by nuclear missiles fired by loyalist launch sites.

President Cornwell's address to the nuclear warfare:

[quote]Desperate situations called for desperate actions. I seek to crush these anarchic terrorists, at all cost. There is nothing immortal about nuclear weapons, it's simply a bigger hammer for a bigger problem.[/quote]

Nuclear launches have been detected from St. Lawrence Naval Air Base and it's suspected they would hit loyalist areas. A nuclear warfare is under way.

Edited by HHAYD

Procinctia is dismayed by Midwest Republic’s tragically unnecessary internal nuclear warfare.

What does President Cornwell hope to accomplish by escalating this madness?

Procinctia is equally disappointed by the opposition’s atomic response.

By the time everything’s over there won’t be anything left of the Midwest Republic!

[center][IMG]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x251/CyberNationsStuff/Tropico2.gif[/IMG]
Procinctia’s Government-in-Exile, Government-in-Exile of Procinctia[/center]

OOC: I'm confused. Didn't the CAU invade you? In that case, how does the above RP remotely relate to what took place - I think there is a time paradox. Did you nuke the soldiers of the CAU or just nuke what remained? The Edean White Cross even planned on sending aid and unfortunately used much of it's anti-radiation meds back in Edean because of the nukes that went of in SA. However... I'm just confused.

EDIT: In particular, what about this whole thing here?

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109855

Edited by Zarfef

[quote name='Zarfef' timestamp='1333082553' post='2945366']
OOC: I'm confused. Didn't the CAU invade you? In that case, how does the above RP remotely relate to what took place - I think there is a time paradox. Did you nuke the soldiers of the CAU or just nuke what remained? The Edean White Cross even planned on sending aid and unfortunately used much of it's anti-radiation meds back in Edean because of the nukes that went of in SA. However... I'm just confused.

[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109855"]http://forums.cybern...howtopic=109855[/url]
[/quote]
OOC: I'm wondering if he was even aware of this...

[quote name='Zarfef' timestamp='1333082553' post='2945366']

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109855
[/quote]
OOC: I don't have the RL time to look through it, nevertheless respond. I PMed Markus Wilding that he can autoadvance everything, what forces will welcome his military, and what forces will oppose it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
IC:

As the St. Lawrence Naval Air Base's nuclear missiles (OOC: The base is located on the tip of a large island in the gulf of St. Lawrence, it should be marked MR colors :OOC) neared their targets, another barrage of nuclear missiles were fired by the loyalists, targeting additional rebels' area and the rebel military forces. A nuclear missile and a prototype nuclear bunker buster were fired at the rebel's naval/air base to take it off the map.

The outside world would be unable to communicate with Midwest Republic's federal government and state governments after the rebels' barrage and second loyalist barrage of nukes hit their targets. Even the media went silent.

Midwest Republic died, with radioactive mushroom clouds being its gravestone.