Death By "Bill Avoidance Penalty"

Gavik

Hello all,

None of you know me. I never really shaped the world of CN in any major way (despite my best efforts). I've been playing CN since 2006. I've had a few different nations since that time. I spent a lot of time in CN in various ways - joining and being active in alliances, editing the wiki, learning the history of its politics and generally exploring this free form world. I even tried to found a few alliances. I've made a lot of friends here (though admittedly I don't speak to many anymore) and even brought some friends into the game. This community was really an online home for me in a way over these past years.

Unfortunately, that is all over. I was out of the country for 3 weeks. When I returned, I found something new: a "bill avoidance penalty." Needless to say, the time I had spent away from the game resulted in my nation incurring an 8 figure debt: something that I could never hope to pay off. Call it bad planning on my part if you'd like, but new fees that amount to far greater than my savings that are added at random isn't something I had come to expect to plan for in CN.

I understand that some people were frustrated with the tax collecting and bill paying strategies of war time. I understand how this new penalty could be seen as a good way to combat that. However, when the feature is used to knock a peaceful nation into hopeless debt for the crime of not logging in every day, I can't help but wonder if it's really doing its job.

And in case you didn't know, when you haven't payed your bills, you can't sell infra, tech or land. I can't even take the amusing way out and fire off my nukes, as apparently the big red button is hidden under piles of electric and water bills. After all these years, my nation is doomed to go out with a whimper.

Today was my last login to my nation. I don't think I'll be back to create another. I don't expect anything - I just want everyone to know what is happening and the effects of this bizarre new penalty.

Toodles!

I remember that you helped me with my Wiki work. It was voluntary, necessary, and graciously provided. I have not known you in the game. I would love to see you re-roll, but I do understand your decision. Good luck on your journey. And, again.

Thank you so much for helping me learn how to do it right.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gavik' timestamp='1331536517' post='2937134']
Hello all,

None of you know me. I never really shaped the world of CN in any major way (despite my best efforts). I've been playing CN since 2006. I've had a few different nations since that time. I spent a lot of time in CN in various ways - joining and being active in alliances, editing the wiki, learning the history of its politics and generally exploring this free form world. I even tried to found a few alliances. I've made a lot of friends here (though admittedly I don't speak to many anymore) and even brought some friends into the game. This community was really an online home for me in a way over these past years.

Unfortunately, that is all over. I was out of the country for 3 weeks. When I returned, I found something new: a "bill avoidance penalty." Needless to say, the time I had spent away from the game resulted in my nation incurring an 8 figure debt: something that I could never hope to pay off. Call it bad planning on my part if you'd like, but new fees that amount to far greater than my savings that are added at random isn't something I had come to expect to plan for in CN.

I understand that some people were frustrated with the tax collecting and bill paying strategies of war time. I understand how this new penalty could be seen as a good way to combat that. However, when the feature is used to knock a peaceful nation into hopeless debt for the crime of not logging in every day, I can't help but wonder if it's really doing its job.

And in case you didn't know, when you haven't payed your bills, you can't sell infra, tech or land. I can't even take the amusing way out and fire off my nukes, as apparently the big red button is hidden under piles of electric and water bills. After all these years, my nation is doomed to go out with a whimper.

Today was my last login to my nation. I don't think I'll be back to create another. I don't expect anything - I just want everyone to know what is happening and the effects of this bizarre new penalty.

Toodles!
[/quote]

You're wrong on a number of points. First off, the bill avoidance penalty doesn't add to your debt, it only begins to reduce your income after 20 days of not paying bills. You indicate you were out of the country for 3 weeks or 21 days. That means the bill avoidance penalty imposed on your tax collection was 22%. Stiff to be sure but hardly crippling to the degree you're indicating. Most nations have bills roughly around 30-40% of income meaning even with the bill avoidance penalty your nation had, most nations would still collect enough to be able to pay their bills. Even if your nation was not one, this leads us to your second claim of not being able to sell off infrastructure or land. This is absolutely wrong. You can sell off infrastructure if you are not current with your bills. This both reduces the bills you have to pay and gives you some cash. You can sell land too which provides you some cash. You can dismiss soldiers, aircraft, navy, cruise missiles, and tanks to reduce your bills. You can delete improvements and wonders too to reduce bills. While you are correct you can't launch nukes without being current with your bills, you can dismiss them if you have the $10,000 fee for doing so. In short, you could reduce that 8 figure bill down to something more reasonable or even nearly eliminated it entirely. It's not possible for you to be forced from the game in the manner you indicate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dude, my daily bills are somewhere about 12,000,000 or 13,000,000 a DAY. if you have been playing as long as i have (2006) then you should know a lot of nations have that much in bills. 8 figures isnt terrible. Reduce all the things that are on your bills sheet as far as military and then infra if you have to. This isnt a lost cause.

[quote name='Bio Bomber' timestamp='1335025917' post='2956618']
dude, my daily bills are somewhere about 12,000,000 or 13,000,000 a DAY. if you have been playing as long as i have (2006) then you should know a lot of nations have that much in bills. 8 figures isnt terrible. Reduce all the things that are on your bills sheet as far as military and then infra if you have to. This isnt a lost cause.
[/quote]

If the penalty is enough that within one collection cycle you cannot pay bills because of it then you are doing something terribly wrong with your nation, because if means you have bills which are 75% or more of your daily collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I've know someone that hasn't paid bills in months. 6 to be exact. And I've worked out a way to reduce even his bills down enough to pay them. All is not lost. Despite it being just a few days past the bill avoidance penalty, I still wouldn't collect taxes until you've got your bills down low enough to pay them first. I guess it depends on your nation whether or not to collect before or after paying bills.