Let a goon talk long enough . . .

Schattenmann

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1330439098' post='2929990']
Yeah, there are alliances out there STA dislikes a whole lot more than GOONS. Alliances who have actually directly wronged STA. I'm sure GOONS feels the same way. There are certainly alliances who we would clamor to fight. GOONS is not one of them.
[/quote]
Im feeling the love Pez :P

If thats what there charter/constitution i see no real area to argue.

So to clarify, being selected as a raid target by a GOON denies you the right to use the foreign aid function of the game with one exception. If you use it then those sending the aid are considered to be committing an act of war against GOONs. On the other foot, the raiding of a nation by GOONs for no reason other than might is right denies all of CN the right to conduct foreign aid deals with that nation, under threat of a GOONs DoW.

[quote name='The Great One' timestamp='1330442590' post='2930019']
So to clarify, being selected as a raid target by a GOON denies you the right to use the foreign aid function of the game with one exception. If you use it then those sending the aid are considered to be committing an act of war against GOONs. On the other foot, the raiding of a nation by GOONs for no reason other than might is right denies all of CN the right to conduct foreign aid deals with that nation, under threat of a GOONs DoW.
[/quote]
You make the mistake of thinking the unaligned have rights, they don't. Also for most cases sending an equal amount of reps to the amount that was sent the raided is enough, unless the aid was sent with prejudice, e.g. Npl/Mongols/etc. and also not a special case (eogs e.g. Methrage).

[quote name='The Great One' timestamp='1330442590' post='2930019']
[/quote]
close. missed it by thaaaat much. it has to be deliberate war aids. in this case 3m/50t/2000s from more than one person in the same alliance and this had no ill effect on the raided nation. the issue we had was with another alliance interfering with our nations war. if they had waited till the war ran its course or contacted us for letting the nation go (which would have been a simple task on the mercy board for taking income away from our members) this would not have escalated at all.

Lets see.
Nation A raids Nation B.
Nation C aids Nation B (offering support)
Alliance of A demands reps.
Alliance of C refuses demands.
Alliance A rolls Alliance C.

CN common sense: Don't aid nations that are fighting other nations unless you can back it up.

A while back some nations on the NAAC AA were being raided. I aided them. I knew the consequences and was prepared for them. ie; nuclear holocaust

[quote name='r00tn00b' timestamp='1330443535' post='2930024']
close. missed it by thaaaat much. it has to be deliberate war aids. in this case 3m/50t/2000s from more than one person in the same alliance and this had no ill effect on the raided nation. the issue we had was with another alliance interfering with our nations war. if they had waited till the war ran its course or contacted us for letting the nation go (which would have been a simple task on the mercy board for taking income away from our members) this would not have escalated at all.
[/quote]
Really, it's more just questionable aid. A tech deal is an easy excuse so we might not always handwaive it. A couple times we've questioned the authenticity of aid and just asked for equal compensation. IE, just 3m. In this case it was more since it was tech and soldiers.
[img]http://meru.xfury.net/images/aeris/aerisdisL7.jpg[/img]

Edited by Beefspari

[quote name='Blacky' timestamp='1330444562' post='2930028']
Lets see.
Nation A raids Nation B.
Nation C aids Nation B (offering support)
Alliance of A demands reps.
Alliance of C refuses demands.
Alliance A rolls Alliance C.

CN common sense: Don't aid nations that are fighting other nations unless you can back it up.
[/quote]

Something I more or less stated previously in another thread.

However, Schatt wins the point in the OP. Raids should be raids (with the risk assumed by the raiding nation(s)) and alliance wars should be alliance wars, and while alliances have sent in "reinforcements" in the past in defense of raiding nations in order to extricate them out of a serious gang bang, this is not one of those times. GOONS war declaration goes well beyond the scope of the parties involved in the raid or even those nations directly aiding the raid targets.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1330445486' post='2930032']
Something I more or less stated previously in another thread.

However, Schatt wins the point in the OP. Raids should be raids (with the risk assumed by the raiding nation(s)) and alliance wars should be alliance wars, and while alliances have sent in "reinforcements" in the past in defense of raiding nations in order to extricate them out of a serious gang bang, this is not one of those times. GOONS war declaration goes well beyond the scope of the parties involved in the raid or even those nations directly aiding the raid targets.
[/quote]
Somewhere in your logic risk doesn't extend to aiding nations that are fighting.

[quote name='Blacky' timestamp='1330448981' post='2930043']
Somewhere in your logic risk doesn't extend to aiding nations that are fighting.
[/quote]

Yeah, good thing "raids" and "wars" aren't the same thing. Someone could really be in trouble here.

Thread summary:

Shatt bawwwwwws about raiding

anti raiding trolls come out of the woodwork, many tears are shed

the other 99% of CN that doesn't read the owf goes about their daily lives and couldn't care less

nothing changes

Keep up the good work Shatt, you're more relevant now than at any point in CN history. Oh wait...

[quote name='Zoomzoomzoom' timestamp='1330449542' post='2930046']
We're still arguing about the difference between an alliance war and an actual raid?

I almost wish we had declared war on AGW at this point.[/quote]

It's not the raiding, large scale organized raiding is another topic for another day, it's the break with traditional raiding that is the issue. Simply put, GOONS wants to make sure that there is no risk whatsoever to its raiders. Forget the moral implications, that's like putting training wheels and air bags on a mountain bike. Seriously, they need that much help? Why are they even raiding at all if they are afraid to lose? <_<

Morality dies when no one any longer values it. (Now THAT's profound, dammit!) :)

The trouble with Schatt? He's usually, uncomfortably, correct. Good job, Schatt.

That GOONs has such foggy ambiguity in their Constitution is, and should remain, their problem. To believe they rule the Planet is also a problem only for them. However, to proclaim such a nefarious reality for their members, with the expectation that other alliances will agree with, much less support it is a bit high on the arrogance chart. It is not merely a disparate policy. It is an exclusively singular policy. It is an unaccepted policy, refuted in it's entirety by most (if not all) other alliances in the cyberverse. Howling about it is not going to change the GOONs Constitution. The best, and most effective response to this policy is to insure it never infects any other alliance in the game. It will never be a majority view, or even a minority view, for that matter. It is an extremely fringe view.

It is an incendiary view. That is the reason for it. Nothing more. The message does not say, as Sardonic might wish it, "[i]Stay away from our raids.[/i]" The message is "[i]We will destroy whom we wish. This means you.[/i]"

Funny thing about bullies. They inevitably meet up with one moral person (or alliance) who does eventually step up, and "[i]retrain[/i]" their thinking. These other alliances also (usually) are the alliances with enough treaty support to overcome what is, in actuality, such a fringe minority.
That's my observation, at least, from having played the game just a little while. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. It's a morality thing. I would also hasten to add that Sardonic's character in this game has an amazing ability to be very moral. I know this personally, because he has been so towards me, my nation, and my alliances.

Give them their due. GOONs plays the bad guy game pretty well. They do it on purpose. They admit they do it because that is the way they choose to play the game. Their leadership states it. Their members reinforce and support it.

That's a moral choice. I find that interesting. Knowing what the moral choice is, the alliance chooses against that choice.

See my first statement.