Grenval was Vincent Xander

Chris Kaos

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1329920474' post='2925550']
This makes victory in the final act of the trilogy that much more fun.
[/quote]

Funny, I always considered Karma the end of the trilogy. Everything else after that has just been a comedy playing out.

There was the flawed, incomplete victory of GW1, the tragic downfall of GW2/3 and the border conflicts that followed, and then the true victory at Karma.

At least that's when I stopped giving a $%&@.

[quote name='Charles Stuart' timestamp='1329989807' post='2926436']
Are you seriously trying to say MK has the right to discuss any aspect of any other player's RL [i]just because you have it in an OOC forum?[/i]
[/quote]

Actually, yes. The MK forums are for far more than just CN at this point. Any and all conversation concerning that stuff occurred within OOC, social areas of the forums frequented by many people who aren't in the MK cybernations alliance. In that area, they have the right to discuss whatever they wish so long as it doesn't violate the Mushroom Kingdom forum TOS.

[quote name='deth2munkies' timestamp='1330007794' post='2926636']
Two words: Biodad Kingdom. And that's just a recent example.

You have no place to talk, MK was never meant to take a leadership role. That was to fall to one of the large alliances of Karma. MK has only been strong as a counterpoint, never as a maker of official policy. Unfortunately, they were all too weak and uncharismatic and such a system would collapse, hence the necessity of DH and the second war in order to maintain power. That war just served as a reminder of MK's failure and the failure of all of the other large alliances to set up an effective ruling class. Now all we have are punks who have forgotten how to actually use politics to achieve ends and instead use threats and OOC attacks.

It was a simpler time before all of this !@#$, and I enjoy the reflection in this thread.
[/quote]

Addressed the tongue-in-cheek hero worship privately.

I'd also question your political assessment, but I most sincerely doubt it would be taken seriously as this area of debate has long since lost that capability.

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1330118529' post='2927678']
One particularly glaring example of this happened last month when two players had a personal tragedy and asked the community for help. Although most of the members of the community were supportive or at least indifferent, a select few from DH/PB alliances took it upon themselves to contact the family and then assisted a member of the family who didn't like the two community members in question with harassing them in their personal lives (on Facebook and in person) and in the game.
[/quote]

I would very much like proof of those claims, particularly where the implications of actual infringement upon anyone's actual life is concerned, PMed to me posthaste. Otherwise I'm calling !@#$%^&*. And trust me, there's been quite a lot of that and ignorance to boot concerning what happened there. But then again, in this area of debate ignorance has never stopped someone before so why should I expect it now?

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1330325887' post='2929125']
[i]Is[/i] it just your own boards, though?
[/quote]

As with above - yes, it is. If you have clear cut evidence of otherwise, I'd like to see it. Thanks!

Oh, and to address the OP - This made me quite happy. I never got to work with Grenval, but worked extensively with VX and always liked him. He deserved better than he got.

Edited by Archon

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Archon, I am fine I hope you are also fine

Addressing the title of this thread "Grenval was Vincent Xander", let me just speak for everyone who remembers either by simply stating that no one gives a $%&@. You may as well have titled the thread "Irrelevant person nearly no one remembers was also another irrelevant person nearly no one remembers, also boobies". At least then more people would have clicked. But you might have run into a limit for the amount of characters you can have in a title, so you should have just said "Boobies".

[quote name='Electron Sponge' timestamp='1330412240' post='2929835']
Hi Archon, I am fine I hope you are also fine

Addressing the title of this thread "Grenval was Vincent Xander", let me just speak for everyone who remembers either by simply stating that no one gives a $%&@. You may as well have titled the thread "Irrelevant person nearly no one remembers was also another irrelevant person nearly no one remembers, also boobies". At least then more people would have clicked. But you might have run into a limit for the amount of characters you can have in a title, so you should have just said "Boobies".
[/quote]

I am doing fine now. Missed your dulcet tones.

[quote name='Archon' timestamp='1330398865' post='2929687']Funny, I always considered Karma the end of the trilogy. Everything else after that has just been a comedy playing out.There was the flawed, incomplete victory of GW1, the tragic downfall of GW2/3 and the border conflicts that followed, and then the true victory at Karma. At least that's when I stopped giving a $%&@.[/quote]So the protagonists of this story of yours are the scattered remnants of a failed community who joined the actual victors and participated in their eventual feuding? That is somehow a grand victory?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Fallen Fool

[quote name='Electron Sponge' timestamp='1330412240' post='2929835']
[/quote]

Coulda just replaced your post with "needless dickery", swings and roundabouts.

[quote name='Fallen Fool' timestamp='1330454693' post='2930086']
So the protagonists of this story of yours are the scattered remnants of a failed community who joined the actual victors and participated in their eventual feuding? That is somehow a grand victory?

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

What is this I don't even

Cute to call LUE a failed community - I'm sure you'd find yourself harden at the thought and pat yourself on the back fiercely had you managed, but it would seem that the core of that community founded two successful alliances, merged together, and led multiple victorious coalitions, resulting in defeats of every major alliance/community still standing that had opposed them. I'd also question your memory/sanity with respect to joining the actual victors comment, but hey, if you can't see the forest for the trees, that ain't my problem. I'm too busy with my quite successful community and my multitude of victories, but in the honor of those great souls now passed, one must come out and feed the bridge dwellers every now and again.

[quote name='Archon' timestamp='1330482351' post='2930339']

Cute to call LUE a failed community - I'm sure you'd find yourself harden at the thought and pat yourself on the back fiercely had you managed, but it would seem that the core of that community founded two successful alliances, merged together, and led multiple victorious coalitions, resulting in defeats of every major alliance/community still standing that had opposed them. I'd also question your memory/sanity with respect to joining the actual victors comment, but hey, if you can't see the forest for the trees, that ain't my problem. I'm too busy with my quite successful community and my multitude of victories, but in the honor of those great souls now passed, one must come out and feed the bridge dwellers every now and again.
[/quote]

For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.

[quote name='Archon' timestamp='1330482351' post='2930339']

[/quote]
but do you have scars and commitment??

[quote name='Charles Stuart' timestamp='1330501853' post='2930549']
For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.
[/quote]

Dude I already used sic transit gloria mundi. Like...last week in a Roquentin thread. C'mon now, keep up with me. It's not that hard anymore, I'm not even trying.

[quote name='Charles Stuart' timestamp='1329989807' post='2926436']
Are you seriously trying to say MK has the right to discuss any aspect of any other player's RL [i]just because you have it in an OOC forum?[/i]

And again, "NPO did it first" does not make it ok. Plus, it is a crock of !@#$ argument and deems everyone who during karma fought against NPO due to NPO's "crimes" as a pack of liars. But we already knew that so meh.
[/quote]

Of course we do it's our !@#$@#$ forum lol.

Saying the game is dying because we made an ooc post post in OUR forums is way beyond retarded.

[quote name='MagicalTrevor' timestamp='1330045357' post='2927127']
As for the OOC talk. The faux outrage on here is getting beyond a joke now. Seriously it's so see through just give up with it all.

[/quote]

Pretty much what mr MT said.

Edited by uaciaut

[quote name='Archon' timestamp='1330506412' post='2930565']
Dude I already used sic transit gloria mundi. Like...last week in a Roquentin thread. C'mon now, keep up with me. It's not that hard anymore, I'm not even trying.
[/quote]

Heh, I thought of Patton when I read your post. Don't hate :awesome:

[quote name='Archon' timestamp='1330482351' post='2930339']What is this I don't even[/quote]My criticism of a revisionist narrative which is wholly reliant on tenuous connections and assertions.

[quote name='Voytek' timestamp='1330505263' post='2930561']but do you have scars and commitment??[/quote]:rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris Kaos' timestamp='1329921075' post='2925553']

I agree with you. The NPO villainry was the best thing for that game, and by setting GATO up as the anti-thesis to them, the GATO-NPO rivalry bascally drove the first 12-18 months of this game. The Great War era was undeniably the best this game's had.

Sigh, the League. It had such promise. You're bang on about the NAAC and Legion, although I still genuinely feel like GWIII was winnable. But the plan that the Legion and NAAC came up with was pretty much the worst plan I'd ever heard of, or it would be, if it hadn't been the [i]exact same plan the NAAC used in GWII[/i]. AlmightyGrub really, really f-ed the dog on that one, and because VL Empire (who was actually a good, competent battlefield commander) was Prime Minister of Legion at the time, the Legion's MoD just dumbly nodded and did whatever the NAAC wanted, despite GATO being pummeled and screaming at them that they were doing the wrong thing. And we all know what happened then.
[/quote]

You give yourself too much credit. LUE was the enemy, you were their larger, foolish sidekicks. GWIII was lost for you the moment it started.

[quote name='Mussolandia' timestamp='1330655292' post='2931624']
You give yourself too much credit. LUE was the enemy, you were their larger, foolish sidekicks. GWIII was lost for you the moment it started.
[/quote]

so are you saying LUE was the brains and the brawn and GATO was the meatshield? :P

I think I must have travelled back in time last night, because I'm reading a thread about Grenval~.
And some of these posters, I haven't seen in ages~!

I'd say good times, but we all know that's just [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter"]nostalgia filter[/url] or something...

I remember that Pacificans did hold a certain standard of conduct related to out of character matters, but to say that NPO never used OOC stuff for IC purposes is completely disingenuous. And furthermore, the NPO "side" tended to go a lot further than NPO itself, if anyone remembers the stuff that the old \m/ and GOONS did, which took Electron Sponge driving a wedge into the Initiative before NPO stopped protecting them. The DH strategy of just attacking because they could was a step down in quality, but at least VE set up NpO to be rolled in the tradition of the past.

The issue with CN politics today is not that there's no NPO vs GATO type of rivalries, in fact, the rivalries today are just as intense, but because the super alliances of the past have split repeatedly like Trotskyist groups into smaller bickering factions, and sign treaties all over the place because of poor FA strategy, the alliances today have to choose which commitments they're actually going to make, so wars tend to be won based on convincing long treaty chains in advance.

[quote name='Katsumi' timestamp='1330982053' post='2934124']
I think I must have travelled back in time last night, because I'm reading a thread about Grenval~.
And some of these posters, I haven't seen in ages~!

I'd say good times, but we all know that's just [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter"]nostalgia filter[/url] or something...

I remember that Pacificans did hold a certain standard of conduct related to out of character matters, but to say that NPO never used OOC stuff for IC purposes is completely disingenuous. And furthermore, the NPO "side" tended to go a lot further than NPO itself, if anyone remembers the stuff that the old \m/ and GOONS did, which took Electron Sponge driving a wedge into the Initiative before NPO stopped protecting them. The DH strategy of just attacking because they could was a step down in quality, but at least VE set up NpO to be rolled in the tradition of the past.

The issue with CN politics today is not that there's no NPO vs GATO type of rivalries, in fact, the rivalries today are just as intense, but because the super alliances of the past have split repeatedly like Trotskyist groups into smaller bickering factions, and sign treaties all over the place because of poor FA strategy, the alliances today have to choose which commitments they're actually going to make, so wars tend to be won based on convincing long treaty chains in advance.
[/quote]

Pretty much this ^^^. People don't choose sides based on who is right and who is wrong or on past rivalries. It's all about "this MDP activates this treaty therefore we need to attack that AA so that another AA can stay out until another AA activates another treaty". Downright boring and a far cry from the days of LUE's GWIII DoW which was pretty epic.

Edited by Charles Stuart

Katsumi: you had it right about the TOP-C&G thing, but you keep missing the mark on DH-NPO. I've revealed the actual reasons a million times and if people to this day can't see the reality, it's just depressing.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1330996609' post='2934333']
Katsumi: you had it right about the TOP-C&G thing, but you keep missing the mark on DH-NPO. I've revealed the actual reasons a million times and if people to this day can't see the reality, it's just depressing.
[/quote]
Keep in mind that I've been "retired" from CN politics for several months now. :smug:

[quote name='Katsumi' timestamp='1331000088' post='2934359']
Keep in mind that I've been "retired" from CN politics for several months now. :smug:
[/quote]

Oh, is MoD not related, but basically it was pretty much the same as TOP on C&G. Waiting game results in preempt. NPO was going to enter. DoW is full of dramatic flair hoping to prey on preexisting NPO stigma since they were still widely hated, the only issue is people equally cared about throwing stones at DH. The issue is, DH overshadowed NPO's stigma and my original FAN post plan kind of died as well.

Edited by Roquentin

• 4 weeks later...