The CN Grand Give

bros

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328575749' post='2915722']but I decided not to do it through MK because honestly I don't trust you.[/quote]

You realise that the money goes to a site recommended by DWB for online fundraising and not MK right?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ryuzaki' timestamp='1328576305' post='2915730']
You realise that the money goes to a site recommended by DWB for online fundraising and not MK right?
[/quote]
You obviously misunderstand. I don't trust anyone or anything to do with MK because of how they present themselves, even if it's only a fund set up like this - http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/bros/cngrandgive

So I went through the website itself and not through the MK started fund - https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/donate/?t=o

[u][b]Edit[/b][/u]: Clarity .. Anyway, I've said my piece, not derailing any further.

Edited by Marneus Calgar

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328576300' post='2915729']
Saying I don't trust you is not mudslinging. It's a personal opinion. From what MK has shown in the past, present and will show in the future, you're very untrustworthy. Hence I donated an amount directly to the charity, not through a middleman.
[/quote]
That wasn't a barb - I was likely to be the one slinging mud if I were to make a serious reply.

I will, however, commend you on donating to the charity regardless. A good act always deserves thanks.

Edited by ktarthan

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328576467' post='2915735']
You obviously misunderstand. I don't trust anyone or anything to do with MK because of how they present themselves, even if it's only a fund set up like this - http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/bros/cngrandgive

So I went through the website itself and not through the MK started fund - https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/donate/?t=o

[u][b]Edit[/b][/u]: Clarity
[/quote]
:wub: you are a cuddly bunny rabbit :wub:

Edited by Voytek

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328576300' post='2915729']
Saying I don't trust you is not mudslinging. It's a personal opinion. From what MK has shown in the past, present and will show in the future, you're very untrustworthy. Hence I donated an amount directly to the charity, not through a middleman.
[/quote]
Upon advisory from friends, I'll refrain from making a long post on how silly this is, and shorten it down to:

This is really rude, and to assume that because MK performs in-game actions that you find "Untrustworthy" means they would be equally "untrustworthy" outside the game is just not cool.

Echoing ktarthan though, thank you for donating to a good cause.

Really? Accusing MK of stealing charity money? Dude I don't care how much you hate them IC, that's a low and unwarranted blow.

That said, wow. Thanks to this thread, ~$1,500 dollars was raised by the community which wouldn't have had this been kept just in MK. Those are some seriously impressive numbers.

[quote name='Hereno' timestamp='1328580682' post='2915820']
Really? Accusing MK of stealing charity money? Dude I don't care how much you hate them IC, that's a low and unwarranted blow.
[/quote]
That is not what I said, don't even think I did. I said this was a PR stunt and I didn't trust them enough to send money through them.

At no time did I say MK would steal money as I don't believe they ever would. Please go back and re-think your statement after reading my posts correctly.

[u][b]Edit[/b][/u]: Spelling

Edited by Marneus Calgar

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328575749' post='2915722']
Sure, it's a good thing that it was public as it added some extra funds, but I've also donated to the same cause, but I decided not to do it through MK because honestly I don't trust you.
[/quote]
You're right, this is just an elaborate ruse to filter money toward our greater fund aimed at crafting Archon a solid gold, phallus-shaped throne.

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328582000' post='2915838']
That is not what I said, don't even think I did. I said this was a PR stunt and I didn't trust them enough to send money through them.

At no time did I say MK would steal money as I don't believe they ever would. Please go back and re-think your statement after reading my posts correctly.

[u][b]Edit[/b][/u]: Spelling
[/quote]
"i don't think you would steal money but i don't trust you enough to send money through you. also i think you are going public and raising twice as much money as you would have otherwise for some kind of advantage in a subpar internet game"

Gentle Persons

I am of the firm belief that if this was done for propaganda it was brilliant because a very worthy real(OOC) organization will benefit from a realm of imagination. Digiterra can be proud to have made this effort. While my friends in MK may not always view things in the same way as we on Digiterra this is one place where their efforts deserve praise regardless of perceived motivation.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

Just shut up about the PR thing already!

Somewhere in the back of someone's mind, they probably thought, "hey, by opening it up to the OWF we can increase the amount donated AND get some PR out of it!" It's called self-interested altruism and it's what makes the world go 'round.

Who cares? It certainly hasn't changed my opinion of MK in game for better or worse, but a worthy charity is getting more help than they would otherwise, that's all that matters.

[quote name='Hime Themis' timestamp='1328590484' post='2915926']
Gentle Persons

I am of the firm belief that if this was done for propaganda it was brilliant because a very worthy real(OOC) organization will benefit from a realm of imagination. Digiterra can be proud to have made this effort. While my friends in MK may not always view things in the same way as we on Digiterra this is one place where their efforts deserve praise regardless of perceived motivation.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis
[/quote]

100% agreement on the above.

As an informal follower of the NGO-sphere and what does and does not work therein; I think that MK initiating this move is a masterstroke. Everone has an opinion on MK. Opinions that are often divisive and polarizing, and very very rarely "meh". So the CN Grand Give inspires comments from both sides. This more or less ensures that the topic stays on the front page.

MK is doing what many alliances could not do. And while I love my alliance, I can see where if we started this we'd get a pat on the head and a quick exit from the front page and it would all be forgotten because we "always play nice" or some such silliness. Controversy raises awareness, NGO profile, and cash. And MSF has real need for the cash.

Good Job MK!

[quote name='bros2' timestamp='1328592423' post='2915945']
Someone donated and put their AA as HB, therefore I put it on the chart :P
[/quote]
Oh, so they did. I thought someone had sort of generally signed our AA up for something that nobody bothered with, making us horrible people. False alarm.

[quote name='Juana La Loca' timestamp='1328594949' post='2915977']
100% agreement on the above.

As an informal follower of the NGO-sphere and what does and does not work therein; I think that MK initiating this move is a masterstroke. Everone has an opinion on MK. Opinions that are often divisive and polarizing, and very very rarely "meh". So the CN Grand Give inspires comments from both sides. This more or less ensures that the topic stays on the front page.

MK is doing what many alliances could not do. And while I love my alliance, I can see where if we started this we'd get a pat on the head and a quick exit from the front page and it would all be forgotten because we "always play nice" or some such silliness. Controversy raises awareness, NGO profile, and cash. And MSF has real need for the cash.

Good Job MK!
[/quote]

I was the one to post it because I am probably one of the more recognizable MKers outside of Archon :P

And no, I didn't at any time think "hey if we open this to the owf we'll get brownie points!!!"

I knew from the beginning that MK would have more fun donating if they saw how much they raised as an alliance versus the CN community. :P

I would just like to say: who cares if it was all for a PR stunt?

At the end of the day, this game is still the same horrible/amazing game it has always been. Except MSF will be better funded to provide healthcare.

If MK kept the drive internal, not only would the total raised amount be cut in half, but more importantly, there would be less public awareness of this drive and this charity.

The description for the "Open World RP" states that:
[quote]The hub of happenings in the alliance-driven political scene of the Cyber Nations World. Remember that all posts here are [b]Out of Character[/b].[/quote]
I have bolded the relevant part.

You know what that means? Dissociating the in-game notions you have of nation rulers from the real life people behind the screen.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1328801437' post='2917290']
I'll donate as soon as I get my paypal stuff fixed, but for March I'm starting my own based around "ADHD kiddies" to increase awareness of a real condition.
[/quote]

You're just doing it for the PR.

[quote name='Alterego' timestamp='1328802641' post='2917300']
That’s a nice total. It should save the lives of quite a few people so they can continue their agonising fight against starvation and murder in some of the worst countries in the world. Well, for another little while anyway. Congrats o/
[/quote]
"We shouldn't help them improve their quality of life because their quality of life sucks"

[img]http://cybernations.64digits.com/forums/Smileys/default/emot-downsbravo.gif[/img]

[quote name='Alterego' timestamp='1328802641' post='2917300']
That’s a nice total. It should save the lives of quite a few people so they can continue their agonising fight against starvation and murder in some of the worst countries in the world. Well, for another little while anyway. Congrats o/
[/quote]
Listen, if the Kingdom took care of those other problems here and now we'd have nothing left to donate to the next time we need a PR boost. :rolleyes: