Preventing Nations from leaving TE

Therm

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please answer the poll, regarding if you believe more mandatory peacemode will help newbies (people new to TE) become less likely to leave TE.

If you have a better solution (only one I've seen is mandatory 7day peacemode), please post it too.

Edited by Therm

[quote name='Gibsonator21' timestamp='1327297306' post='2905288']
No. If you want to go that route, make it so you have the [i]option[/i] of peace mode available for the first seven days or so.
[/quote]
Excellent suggestion! While we're at it, why don't we add the [i]option[/i] of peace mode at [i]any time![/i]

Oh... wait...

I think that 7 days is a little bit too long, but 5 would be better. Although I agree with Gibson in that it should be optional.

Edited by MrAstro34

No, raiding is a good part of this game. It lets you train some noobs before you actually go to war.(unless you liek ceasefires too)

"Elite" AA's need to start recruiting. You arent better if you can take a crappy nation and grow it.

If you want to do something. Make your AA not raid for 5 days or so.

Edited by Stelios

Pretty new here so maybe these have been discussed before but a couple of other ideas would be:

1. Narrow the strength disparity window for declaring, or perhaps only be able to steal technology from nations that have 75% or more your nation strenght. For nations weaker than that you just destroy the tech.
2. Only be able to steal technology from Nations with more tech than you. In all other situations the tech is just destroyed.
3. Change the update time.

The first two would dissuade raiders. The third would just make the game a bit more accessible for those that aren't willing to stay up until the middle of the night (in North America)

2 times in this round the very second I was able to be attacked I was, 1 day old and got rolled by 2 nations the first time, and right after being attacked they expanded their nations to the point I could not fight back. Then it continued, it was not just a raid it was a 5 day beating. The second time the same thing happened but it was just 1 nation and another 5 days to reroll.
Folks this is not the spirit of the game, a raid is one thing but complete and total destruction of 1 day old nations is not fun or fair. I saw various peace time levels as a good idea but what does it prevent, so I am 7 days old a little built up, then I get hit by a nation who then expands so big I can not fight back, its the same thing all over again but on larger scale.

I suggest this, during war limiting nation growth to +10% infrastructure during the war, this way the defending nation has some sort of fighting chance to retaliate. It is fair on all levels. It does not interfere with NS based on a military level, you can still buy all the missiles navy tanks planes and soldiers you can but the infrastructure will limit the soldiers and tanks making for a fighting chance.

this is all I have to say.

Edited by Eric F

[quote name='GWgw10' timestamp='1327349435' post='2905673']
Pretty new here so maybe these have been discussed before but a couple of other ideas would be:

1. Narrow the strength disparity window for declaring, or perhaps only be able to steal technology from nations that have 75% or more your nation strenght. For nations weaker than that you just destroy the tech.
2. Only be able to steal technology from Nations with more tech than you. In all other situations the tech is just destroyed.
3. Change the update time.

The first two would dissuade raiders. The third would just make the game a bit more accessible for those that aren't willing to stay up until the middle of the night (in North America)
[/quote]
This would create consequences to AA warfare as well. Requiring less strength, and less tech in order to steal tech would seem to punish big/strong nations.

As to the third point. It will alienate others as well.

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327760138' post='2908761']
2 times in this round the very second I was able to be attacked I was, 1 day old and got rolled by 2 nations the first time, and right after being attacked they expanded their nations to the point I could not fight back. Then it continued, it was not just a raid it was a 5 day beating. The second time the same thing happened but it was just 1 nation and another 5 days to reroll.
Folks this is not the spirit of the game, a raid is one thing but complete and total destruction of 1 day old nations is not fun or fair. I saw various peace time levels as a good idea but what does it prevent, so I am 7 days old a little built up, then I get hit by a nation who then expands so big I can not fight back, its the same thing all over again but on larger scale.
[/quote]
Well, 7 days would give you a week to see all the alliance options, and maybe even apply to one. This is a war/political game, where we launch thousands of nukes. Or if a small group of you get together you can approach a "bigger" alliance for protection. While TE doesnt really have treaties and such, protection of a new AA would be enough to dissuade raiders.

[quote]
I suggest this, during war limiting nation growth to +10% infrastructure during the war, this way the defending nation has some sort of fighting chance to retaliate. It is fair on all levels. It does not interfere with NS based on a military level, you can still buy all the missiles navy tanks planes and soldiers you can but the infrastructure will limit the soldiers and tanks making for a fighting chance.

[/quote]
Cant happen. It could be abused so that in order to stop someone building, all you have to do is hold them at war. Or stop people from re building while still at war.

This issue you had is just due to being raided very early, and the other nation being smart and rich enough to keep building his nation while still fighting you. He would have also likely already been a lot stronger than you.

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327760138' post='2908761']

[/quote]

Join an AA and learn the way of TE. Its a war game. You will get attacked if you dont have a decent alliance

It will stop rebuilding as rebuilding implies returning to the strength you were before the war startes aka 0% loss. Joining an aa is good and 7 days is enought time to do this. Some AA's are larger than others and it still does not prevent the hit and pound into the dirt factor. This still will not prevent a new player from being pounded to ash by the nation who attacks then latches on for 5 days under the claim of "raid" more importantly it still does not prevent the attacker from attacking then expanding beyond beleif to a point where the defending nation can not defend themselves or even retaliate.
How about this option, wars are automaticaly ended when one nation goes above or below the war limit for declaring.
The attacking nation hits a person then expands out of the war range the war ends. Or the defending nation is crushed below the war range the war ends, it keeps people in the game the game continues they recover and every one goes on, no one quits due to being crushed and turning turtle. Also this will not interfeer with expantion like I previously suggested, and it will be much easier to deploy for designer purposes.
How does this sound?

Edited by Eric F

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327771790' post='2908806']
It will stop rebuilding as rebuilding implies returning to the strength you were before the war startes aka 0% loss. Joining an aa is good and 7 days is enought time to do this. Some AA's are larger than others and it still does not prevent the hit and pound into the dirt factor. This still will not prevent a new player from being pounded to ash by the nation who attacks then latches on for 5 days under the claim of "raid" more importantly it still does not prevent the attacker from attacking then expanding beyond beleif to a point where the defending nation can not defend themselves or even retaliate.
How about this option, wars are automaticaly ended when one nation goes above or below the war limit for declaring.
The attacking nation hits a person then expands out of the war range the war ends. Or the defending nation is crushed below the war range the war ends, it keeps people in the game the game continues they recover and every one goes on, no one quits due to being crushed and turning turtle. Also this will not interfeer with expantion like I previously suggested, and it will be much easier to deploy for designer purposes.
How does this sound?
[/quote]
No because then i can just sell infra or something to end the war.,...

Join a AA bigger than 10 members... Then you wont get raided. Go for one of the top ten

[quote]Join a AA bigger than 10 members... Then you wont get raided. Go for one of the top ten
[/quote]
No then it just turns into large aliance wars

[quote]No because then i can just sell infra or something to end the war.,...

[/quote]

Yes
the end result is the same, you beat them either way, what does it mater if you destroy their infra or they sell it, the money they gain will not buy it back, if they bow out like that you still win.
It will change the game play a little but then again any change will.
Your solutions are all reactive and do not fix the problem of hit and grow beyond retaliation, my solution fixes the problem in that if they do this you will not need to defend yourself the war will be over, keeping raids as what they are suposed to be raids and wars are wars. If you want to fight to the end then stand toe to toe and duke it out, it eliminates the sucker punch of I hit you then get big and you cant hit me back. Or I hit you then triple my ns then keep hitting you.
The whole point is to keep players in the game, who wants to play a game where its dog pile and they are always on the bottom. My way ends the crushing fights. There is and has never been a positive side to bully a nation to no end, when they have no soldiers or tanks then get bombed and missled for 4 more days whats the point? they are done they either cant or wont fight and you get no cash or tech.

[quote name='Stelios' timestamp='1327772391' post='2908811']Join a AA bigger than 10 members... Then you wont get raided. Go for one of the top ten
[/quote]

Or find a couple smaller AA's and agree to merge. If it's a matter of what name to take, agree to take one in one round and the other the second round. Since TE resets - you can come up with some creative solutions.

Also, people in TE haven't been doing treaties recently BUT that doesn't mean it can't start up again. I can think of a couple larger alliances that may be open to protecting a group or two and making it official. Or get a few smaller AA's together and form a mutual protection treaty of some sort.

What I like about 7 days is that it gives new people a chance to get to know the game, get to know the alliance options, get a few good collections in before getting attacked, maybe make some deals for protection, etc. Also, it is possible that TE gets new people (aka: not only people moving over from SE) now and then. I'm personally rather stubborn but IF even I had my first introduction to the CN community via TE - I probably would have quit.

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327773940' post='2908821']
No then it just turns into large aliance wars

[/quote]
No, there are some large AA's that do not liek to war.. I can name some if youd like. :awesome:

Edited by Stelios

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327773940' post='2908821']
bawwww
[/quote]
May I suggest SE as an alternative? There is no peace mode in TE for a reason. If you don't want to war, then don't play TE. War is the entire point.

So, your options:
1) Join an AA, ensuring backup if a raid occurs
2) Learn how to play the game and fight back, so you're not "always on the bottom (of the dogpile)"
3) TE is not the game for you; find another

[quote name='jraenar' timestamp='1327782133' post='2908891']
May I suggest SE as an alternative? There is no peace mode in TE for a reason. If you don't want to war, then don't play TE. War is the entire point.

So, your options:
1) Join an AA, ensuring backup if a raid occurs
2) Learn how to play the game and fight back, so you're not "always on the bottom (of the dogpile)"
3) TE is not the game for you; find another
[/quote]
1 joining an aa helps but does not fix the issue, its just a bandaid where surgery is needed.
2. I know very well how to play the game and I got stuck. again knowing how to fight and being able to are two diffrent things.
3. It is nice that the game works for you, but others need to be considered too.

I have been in the top 10 a few times with no AA you should not need an AA to get there. I like AA's please do not get me wrong but being in an AA is no solution for keeping new players or even curent players. When I started playing TE there were well over 2k players, now we have numbers thet frequent less than half. Some of it is game speed some of it is the political thing, some of it is getting crushed and discouraged from playing again. I think most of it is lack of maturity of fellow players on the forums, this is nice to have an active discussion with out the "keyboard comando" language. I think the mods should try all of our suggestions and look for results. Obviously leaving it as is will result in lower numbers. What harm will come if for just 1 round we try a peace time induction period, this way trades and alliances can be found. Then the following round or maybe a few rounds later we try the automatic end of war when the NS get spread too far apart.

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327785020' post='2908919']
1 joining an aa helps but does not fix the issue, its just a bandaid where surgery is needed.
2. I know very well how to play the game and I got stuck. again knowing how to fight and being able to are two diffrent things.
3. It is nice that the game works for you, but others need to be considered too.

I have been in the top 10 a few times with no AA you should not need an AA to get there. I like AA's please do not get me wrong but being in an AA is no solution for keeping new players or even curent players. When I started playing TE there were well over 2k players, now we have numbers thet frequent less than half. Some of it is game speed some of it is the political thing, some of it is getting crushed and discouraged from playing again. I think most of it is lack of maturity of fellow players on the forums, this is nice to have an active discussion with out the "keyboard comando" language. I think the mods should try all of our suggestions and look for results. Obviously leaving it as is will result in lower numbers. What harm will come if for just 1 round we try a peace time induction period, this way trades and alliances can be found. Then the following round or maybe a few rounds later we try the automatic end of war when the NS get spread too far apart.
[/quote]

The thing about "ending the war when the NS gets spread to far" is that it will change up AA warfare too much. In a bad way. The likely reason this happened to you was that it was near the start of the round (or the nation) and the guy was still building his nation while raiding you. That doesnt happen all the time.

[quote name='Eric F' timestamp='1327785020' post='2908919']I have been in the top 10 a few times with no AA you should not need an AA to get there. [/quote]

So did you do a lot of raiding early on to get there? Because that's the general advice I've heard tossed about when trying to maintain a reasonable size nation. It wouldn't be a problem if it didn't do the job.

That's why I like the idea of a mandatory peace mode for everyone. Keeps the playing field equal. However I'd rather have the option so that at least nations could chose not to be a target for that time if it's that or no peace mode at all.

If it has to be 5 instead of 7 days, okay. But I prefer 7. Believe it or not, it is possible to play TE and not start a war for a week. I know, sounds difficult...but we can do it, I promise :P

Edited by White Chocolate

[quote name='White Chocolate' timestamp='1327864251' post='2909628']
So did you do a lot of raiding early on to get there? [/quote]
Infact the answer is yes and no. I did not raid early at all, I just wandered through unnoticed. Then Jarhead from LE hit me in a raid, and a few others, they were just single hits and they grew beyond my ability to retaliate. I peaced out. Then after a recovery period I jumped on the war bandwagon with a few independant nations, I got a bunch of cash from the wars then I bought nukes and Hit Jarhead back nuked him 3 times before the end of the round, that was a great round, But I did raid a few large nations after I bought some nukes, they did not have any and I just hit them once. So not really a lot of raiding but enough, I just got lucky and was able to slip by with out getting picked on too much.

1) Get rid of the cap on Global Radiation Level
2) Reduce the price of Manhattan Project to 3 millions.
3) Allow purchase of nukes on the first day and without limit on how many you can buy.

There wouldn't be such a thing as NS getting spread too far, and nobody is ever gonna leave. :)