Vatican Happenings

KingChris

[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Emblem_of_the_Papacy_SE.svg/200px-Emblem_of_the_Papacy_SE.svg.png[/img]

The decrees and events of His Holiness, Pope Celestine VI, the Holy Father, the Bishop of Rome, the Vicar of Christ, the Successor of Peter, the Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, the Patriarch of the West, the Primate of Italy, the Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, the Sovereign of the Vatican State[/center]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardinal Angelo Scola is hereby reinstated as the Dean of the College of Cardinals
Cardinal Wilson Cadoc Jones is hereby instated as the Vice-Dean of the College of Cardinals
Cardinal Mauro Piacenza is hereby reinstated as the Camerlengo of the Apostolic Chamber
Cardinal Jose Ramon is hereby instated as the Prefect for the Congregation of Bishops

Edited by KingChris

[quote]I vow to faithfully, honestly and honourably serve the reigning Pope Celestine VI and his legitimate successors, and to dedicate myself to them with all my strength, ready to sacrifice, should it become necessary, even my own life for them. I likewise assume this promise toward the members of the Sacred College of Cardinals during the period of the Sede Vacante of the Apostolic See. Furthermore, I pledge to the Commandant and to my other superiors respect, fidelity, and obedience. I swear to abide by all the requirements attendant to the dignity of my rank.[/quote]

Today, the one hundred thirty seven members of the Swiss Guard reaffirmed their undying loyalty to the Holy Pontiff. The Swiss Guard has been known to the world as the unit responsible for the safety of the Pope and of the Apostolic Palace. Their moment of glory came during the Sack of Rome, when during the HRE invasion, the Swiss Guard managed to delay the advance to the Vatican City and assist the Pope in escaping through a secret passage to the Castel Sant'Angelo. History will tell if another opportunity occurs for the Guard and whether or not the men that comprise it will be ready.

• 2 weeks later...

A public message to the Croatian impoverished:

[quote]Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Church in Croatia,

The economic woes that have struck your nation have not gone unnoticed. Correspondence with the bishops and cardinals in Croatia have given me a sensible idea of what you are suffering through. Therefore, let me remind you that although you are currently among the poorest of nations in wealth, you are one of the richest in faith, and the Lord seeks those who are pious first. With this in mind, observe the holy example of St. Francis of Assisi and his Order of Friars Minor, who live in poverty and humility in order to bring honor to Christ, for if you learn from them, God will bless you with the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit. And above all, pray always to the Father, for the Son has declared, "Ask anything in My name, and you will receive, so that your joy will be complete."

CELESTINUS PP. VI[/quote]

PRIVATE

With the entire nation in Croatia in poverty, Celestine VI ordered a percentage of funds received from mass offertories to the nation. It was estimated that the Croatian government would receive 1,770,000 HRK (pre-inflation/1,650,000 USD) from the Vatican Bank, started by Pope Pius IX for charitable operations.

The words of the Pope, who was after all the spritual leader and rather popular in Croatia had a great impact on the public. The churches were already before a place of gathering of many and now even more so, as people increasingly sought salvation in faith. As the Pope sent them Kuna, old Kunas were soon used instead of pebbles and people just believed every Kuna had surely came from the Vatican, even though most had been around before. The government ignored this, as the monetary policies had lost all legitimacy with the people that either bartered or traded in pebbles or Holy Kunas. Some priests saw this with uneasiness, as it could be said to be worshipping of money, but in the end, the people were already poor enough and at least some currency had been introduced.

[quote][center][b]The Enlightenment Act[/b][/center]

As the Vatican has been hijacked by Catholic Fascists and as the Vatican has sought to undermine the secular foundations of Governance which ensure the rights to Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Association, and Freedom of Opportunity the Great Horde of Tianxia hereby revokes the Authority of Rome to assert control over and claim ownership of Catholic Assets within the borders of the Horde, its tributaries, and its vassals. We hereby recognize while we have little problem with the idea of a united christian community, we do have problems with a obviously politicized Vatican which focuses on supporting religiously intolerant regimes across the world. The Horde as the largest Country in the World is home to hundreds of millions of Christians, but it is also home to hundreds of millions of Muslims, and Hundreds of Millions of Buddhists, millions of pagans, and millions of Hindus. The Vatican represents a clear challenge which is not just a threat to the social stability of the Horde's Harmonious Society, but has turned itself under this Pope into a war machine which aims to destroy all Catholic Progress since the Enlightenment and plunge the world back into a Dark Age.

We shall not permit this harmful religious persecution to take route in Asia or our areas of influence. The Horde shall continue to tolerate all religion, but it shall remain true to the basic Christian Principle to render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's. Therefore, we hereby announce that the state shall annex all property of the Catholic Church, and it shall be managed by a council of Bishops, lead by the Arch Bishop of Jersualem, who shall see that the traditions of Tolerance and the Enlightenment be maintained in the face of the Barbaric Taliban Esque Onslaught represented by the current 'Holy Father'. We encourage other nations to stand up and protect the legacy of the Enlightenment not just in the West but the entire world against this... Racist and Fascist.

August Imperator Yuan Jia
[/quote]

A division belonging to the Third Army was ordered to surround the Vatican City while all roads leading into it were closed off and a general no-fly zone was declared.

[quote][center][b]Joint Declaration from the Office of Emperor of the Western Athenian Federation and the Archbishops in Italy[/b][/center]

It has become clear that the Vatican has become a corrupted organization since the death of the late pope and the installation of the new one. Effective immediately the authority of the Holy See within the Athenian Federation has lost recognition. By order of the Emperor the Vatican City has been surrounded until the policies of the Vatican change.[/quote]

[quote]The Vatican confesses that it is completely oblivious and unaware as to why the Horde and the Athenian Federation would view the See of Peter in such a negative fashion. Celestine VI has done nothing except to encourage Roman Catholicism to grow freely among the people of the world through the freedom of religion, as allowed by many governments of this earth since his inauguration. We have done absolutely nothing to suppress other faiths. Furthermore, Vatican operations have not yet even touched any area close to the Horde, and thus we once again fail to see the issues the Horde and the Athenian Federation have against us. As a political entity, both governments have the right to claim the possessions of the Catholic Church, but it can not order the faithful to reject the Vatican authority. You may hand over the churches in the Horde to the Patriarch of Jerusalem, but we remind you that all members of the church are of the Pope, who is their servant, and that even the Patriarch has already pledged his loyalty to His Holiness. Furthermore, we remind you that under the decree of Pope John Paul III, every baptized Catholic holds citizenship in the Vatican, and oppression of their rights will not be taken lightly.[/quote]

After a division from the Third Army was set and completely surrounded the Vatican, a single unarmed Swiss Guard approached them and asked if he could pass, simply stating that he wanted to go home to his family for the night, as usual.

The man was told noone could go in or out of the Vatican City as long as the order remained in effect. At the same time equipment would be set up meant to block radio transmissions to and from the Vatican City while companies in Italy under orders from the government disconnected the Vatican city from international internet and telephone networks. The city would become completely isolated so to say.

Edited by Centurius

The Pope wrote a reply back to Cardinal Velankovic and sent it back via pigeon, stating that as no homeless person could enter the Vatican soup kitchen, everyone inside had plenty to eat and drink. He also requested Velankovic to set up an office for the Pope, should he ever arrive, and provided that the Croatian government had no objections. Finally, he inquired the Cardinal to investigate as to why the Horde and the Federation were so randomly antagonistic against the Vatican, seeing that the Holy See now had little way to communicate with the governments at this point.

Mass would be celebrated as normal, except that it would occur outside instead of in the basilica. Speakers were set up, and the celebrants would speak through microphones outside. Communion would be administered to pilgrims outside the City by Roman priests using the Blessed Sacrament consecrated in other churches.

Edited by KingChris

Twice a day, Vatican officials locked outside have begun to communicate with the Pope via megaphone, sending news from around the world and receiving instructions in order to maintain contact with the world. All discussion was held in the language that no country, save for the Vatican City, uses.

Edited by KingChris

Unfortunately for the clergy ancient languages were still very common within both parts of the Athenian Federation, Athenian clergy were visibly absent from the events and foreign clergy was informed their visa were withdrawn and that they had to leave the country. Meanwhile the Council of Basel(follower to the original one) was established to discuss and change church doctrine and to elect a new pope in opposition to the corrupt one.

However, not very many Cardinals, definitely not more than the two thirds majority of the College of Cardinals required to elect a new Pope, would even bother to show up to the Council of Basel. The Athenian Federation may have seen Celestine VI as someone corrupt, but history had brought corrupt popes before, and if this one was as Athens expressed, the papal conclave had already been validated.

People were also confused on how the Athenian Federation indicated freedom of religion but tried to change the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

In addition, Italian faithful began to assume the role of the foreign clergy.

Edited by KingChris

[quote name='KingChris' timestamp='1327850032' post='2909430']
However, not very many Cardinals, definitely not more than the two thirds majority of the College of Cardinals required to elect a new Pope, would even bother to show up to the Council of Basel. The Athenian Federation may have seen Celestine VI as someone corrupt, but history had brought corrupt popes before, and if this one was as Athens expressed, the papal conclave had already been validated.

People were also confused on how the Athenian Federation indicated freedom of religion but tried to change the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

In addition, Italian faithful began to assume the role of the foreign clergy.
[/quote]

OOC: This is rp'ing my citizens so no not happening.

IC:

The Council would go on in preparations regardless with all cardinals and bishops in the Athenian Federation indicating they would join. While by now having revoked allegiance to Rome clergy from Amazonia and Tianxia were also invited to attend and truly make the church what it was supposed to be.

The Cardinal of the Catholic Church in Ireland would be in attendance to the Council of Basel.

"The Roman Catholic Church is a threat to Catholics and secularists everywhere. I urge my fellow Irishmen to follow their faith, not the words of a man who seeks to undermine our people and the success of our way of life."

With physical communication out of reach at this point, the Holy See opted for more expensive means: the satellite phone. By owning several satellite phones from various foreign companies, the Pope was able to converse with his Cardinals around the world, albeit at a higher price. For the Athenian Federation to block that out would require them to take out the satellites transmitting the signal, but that would create an international incident.

[quote name='KingChris' timestamp='1327884840' post='2909869']
With physical communication out of reach at this point, the Holy See opted for more expensive means: the satellite phone. By owning several satellite phones from various foreign companies, the Pope was able to converse with his Cardinals around the world, albeit at a higher price. For the Athenian Federation to block that out would require them to take out the satellites transmitting the signal, but that would create an international incident.
[/quote]

OOC: Extraordinarily incorrect.

[quote name='KingChris' timestamp='1327884840' post='2909869']
[/quote]

OOC: Satellites use radio signals too, just a different bandwith. When radio signals in general are being blocked satellite phones are jammed too.

The Cardinal of Texas sighed as the Athenians would attempt to try to leave on their own, "I see nothing corrupt with this church - but let it be known that no church is perfect because it is ran by man. Only one man has been perfect, and that is the Christ Lord, savoir of the world.

'And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it.'
[i]-Matthew 16:18[/i]

The church founded by Jesus Christ Himself will always live on, even if corrupt men try to infiltrate it or harm it. If a mistake is made, it should be forgiven. For those who go against their church, for those who go against Christ, and for those who are confused why minor leaders of the church are asking people to leave the church when possibly, not even for sure, one mistake may have been made - I tell you this - Texas will stay Catholic, will stay Holy, and will stayed unified with The Church. It needs to also be remembered that a true, legitimate Pope can not be elected without a vote of all of the cardinals from around the world.
We must always remember that even a fallen Catholic is still a Catholic, no matter what. Do not go against your brothers and sisters who are doing this - for they know not what they do. Trust in the Lord, and he will lead you the way to happiness."

[b]Private Message From The Texas Government To The Athenian Federation[/b]

I will make this brief. I hope your day going as well as mine is friend. With a seemingly rising concern about the Holy See, and with the thousands of phone calls my office has been getting in concern, I ask that the Athenian Government make sure violence does not break out against the Vatican. Thank you for your time.

[i]Benjamin Gates[/i]
[b]The President of The Republic of Texas[/b]

Edited by PresidentDavid

OOC: I doubt you'd be able to block every radio frequency, considering that radio communications employ a wide variety of wavelengths. I could explain it in more detail, but not here.

IC: CLASSIFIED

The Vatican recently began to employ optical fibers, immune to electromagnetic interference, to communicate. Through these means, Pope Celestine VI transferred his authority to Dean Scola, who was outside of the Vatican when it was blocked out from the rest of the world, until Athens stepped down. He was also ordered to set up Vatican consulates in nations friendly to the See.