Looking at a Beach House

Mara Lithaen

The following message was sent to the Athenian Federation.

[quote]Greetings and salutations,

Representing Her Majesty's interests, I wish to conduct a meeting with a duly-powered representative of your Government, in order to secure a determinable amount of Gulf territory for the Imperium, with a potential for discussing the future of the lands of New Mexico. As this is the first meeting between our nations, I wish to extend our greatest hospitality and invite your representative to visit Illarion for the meeting.

Sincerely, and looking forward to furthering the relationship between our nations,
Sir James Whitfield,
Imperial Minister of the Interior
For Her Majesty the Empress Mara I[/quote]

[quote]Sir Whitfield,

I thank you for your invitation and will gladly accept, while normally a monarch would handle such a visit I fear both are preoccupied at this time. While the nature of the Union prevents me from making any promises on such an exchange of land I can assess with some certainty the extent to which the Grand Council is willing to go.

My plane will arrive tomorrow and a flightplan has been added to this message.

Sincerely,
Hektor Gabris,
Chief Magistrate of the Athenian Federation[/quote]

The next day a plane marked with Athenian diplomatic colors would arrive at Illarion with the Chief Magistrate on it.

Sir Whitfield, a tall, lanky, aging man with a ragged scar up one side of his craggy face, stood in the just-completed jetway of Illarion International, to personally welcome the arriving Athenians. His aide-de-camp, Sergeant Clarissa DuThorne, stood with him, immaculately pressed in her Imperial Marines uniform, tablet and dictator under one arm. As the Athenian representative stepped off the plane, Sir Whitfield walked forward, extending his hand at the proper time to Hektor. "Welcome to the Imperium! I am James Whitfield, and I assume you are Magistrate Gabris?"

Hektor would step out of the plane backed by two High Guard as was common for such visits, once on terra firma he approached the man that was waiting for him. "Thank you sir Whitfield, yes I am. It is a pleasure to be able to finally open formal relations between my state and yours"he said while shaking the hand.

James nodded, and waved for the Magistrate and his guards to follow him to the limousine that was waiting for them, to take them to the West Ring of the Imperial Palace. "It is a pleasure to finally contact your nation, to be sure. Myself, I have never traveled to Europe and given recent instability do not plan to, but the Athenian Federation looks to have its' act together."

"I can understand your security concerns however you should really consider visiting Athens or Rome, they are perhaps the safest places on this world." Hektor said while enjoying the view from the window. "I see you have truly transformed this place into a respectable city"

Sir Whitfield nodded."That, we have. A cleaner city on this earth, you will not find. Magnetically levitated trains and subway systems, and nearly three quarters of all commercial and private vehicles run on hydrogen or electricity. Soaring, beautiful business towers, massive city-towers... The city is actually self-sufficient. It feeds itself with the massive farm-towers that you will have to see to believe, but imagine - packing two hundred acres of farmland into four acres? It's the stuff of dreams. And this is but one city - the factory-towers of Bethel are a sight to see. The Imperium is truly in a golden age at the moment."

Sir Whitfield then appeared to visibly switch subjects."Which is, rather, why you are here. We know that we've got a good thing going, at the moment, and are looking to capitalize on it and try to assure that the phenomenon continues. We wish to expand, to plant colonies on the rest of mainland North America, to spread out our power, as it was - or to get all of our eggs out of one basket."

"I can see where you are coming from however I think the main issue for my government and that of the Union is that we would like something to come from the former Federation. Self-determination of the people have always been very valuable to us."

"After some discussions prior to this meeting we have come to the conclusion that the Calcasieu and Cameron Parishes are proper locations for a sizeable force at the Gulf. The remaining parts of Louisiana have indicated a desire to gain independence."