The Hammer of the Franks

Sarah Tintagyl

"Icepick 1, be advised we're now pulling out of the airspace. Good luck, out."

"Solid copy, Warhammer. Thanks for the assist."

The AC-130 began to pull out, another set of sensors beeping. "Dammit! Missile lock! Dump flares!" A set of flares were dropped, but to no effect. With six missiles locked on, not all of them could possibly be distracted. Two missiles slammed the plane's rear, sending it down. "Overlord, be advised, Warhammer is going down! Warhammer is going down!"

The plane crashed somewhere north of Paris, and if it was discovered it was a Finnish craft, that'd set off a flurry of bad PR for Finland. Overlord contacted the punainen kaarti soldiers.

"Icepick 1, new directive. Warhammer has been downed, get to that plane and get the black box. If you survive, we'll get you and that black box back into Finland. Do not, repeat, [i]do not[/i] allow rebel or French forces to recover the wreckage, how copy?"

"Solid copy Overlord, we're oscar mike now."

[quote][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcF1LjuxsMU"]Battle #1 - Warhammer Falling[/url]
[i]Conditions for Victory[/i]
[list]
[*]Recover the black box from the AC-130
[*]Prevent rebel or French forces from recovering wreckage
[*]Destroy all enemy forces (optional)
[/list]

[i]Friendly Forces[/i]
[list]
[*]Sgt. Veikko Peltosaari (Grenadier)
[*]Lt. Markus Mäkitammi (Sniper)
[*]2nd Squad
[*]3rd Squad
[/list]

[i]OpFor[/i]
[list]
[*]Millard Laprise (Soldier)
[*]Tanguy Richard (Commander)
[*]1st Militia
[/list][/quote]

"Let's go, let's go!" Lt. Mäkitammi certainly had an odd way of motivation. But the idea that Finland could be viewed negatively by a downed AC-130 in French territory was bad enough. 110 dead punainen kaarti soldiers were even worse. Combine the two, and well...it just didn't make a good picture. It went without saying this was a very important part of the mission in France. The Lt. rushed forward, making sure the road was clear. "Move up! Let's get to that bird!" Veikko saw movement in a window and alerted the rest of the squads. The building was fired upon by some of 2nd Squad, leaving the rest to continue moving up.

Tanguy crouched by the window, watching the Finnish soldiers move down the street. With a wave of his hand, he ordered Millard to begin shooting and stood up. "NOW! Show the invaders no fear!" The two, along with about 80 people recruited to be part of a militia, began firing from every window possible. Bullets and grenades ripped through the walls, destroying windows and exposing the militia, some of whom fled in fear. Some smoke began pouring out near the building, and Tanguy instantly ordered everyone to stop firing. The AC-130, for all they knew, was still in the air. "We need to leave! That plane will rip us to shreds! Into the street! MOVE!"

Veikko's ploy with the smoke worked, and now the militia began pouring out into the street, making it a practical shooting gallery for the punainen kaarti. Valmet M76s and MG3s opened up on the fleeing militia, creating panic and madness around them. Ly. Mäkitammi urged the unit to keep moving. "Let's get to that AC-130!" They could see the smoke pouring out of it now...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Stockholm, Sweden[/b]

"Dannika, we all feel for France right now, but there isn't anything we can do," said Christian Nyquist, as he looked at his dismayed Commissioner of Internal Affairs. Caroline Bernadotte was seated nearby, in a chair, observing the exchange.

"I know that international involvement in political civil wars tends to get nasty, but isn't there anything we could do? We risk losing an ally if there is a new government," stated Dannika, folding her arms trying to appear stalwart, when she knew Christian was probably right.

"I didn't know you were so interested in external affairs, should have I given you the job for International Affairs and Trade?" asked Christian, with a general look of interest on his face as he addressed the older woman. "Look, Danni, we also run the risk of losing that alliance if we throw in our lot with the wrong side, and we also lose soldiers, equipment, and it could look bad."

"The 4th Marine Expeditionary Unit and a platoon from Battalion 1120 is on its way back home from the Caribbean, they could easily intervene and restore the Chairwoman's government," said Dannika, knowing that despite her arguments, and again, knowing Christian was ultimately right on this one, any idea of intervening was going to be ultimately shot down.

"Danni, for the last time, no, I don't know what's gotten into you, but I'm not putting forces on the ground in France," said Christian, his voice firming up, but far from anywhere angry or annoyed, if anything, he sounded concerned. If anything, Christian was one of the least likely to get angry, he was very calm and calculating, and it balanced out commissioners like Dannika and Caroline, who could get fiery, the former especially.

Dannika just nodded, and finally said, with a sigh, "I will be in my office."

She stepped out, with Christian and Caroline exchanging glances, then the latter standing up, and walking out after her. Caroline Bernadotte was a woman who was very attentive, and she could read people well, she knew about everyone she worked with. She had thoroughly reviewed personnel files, she reviewed personal histories, she had been the one who had formed the government of commissioners for Christian as a trusted adviser.

"Danni, wait up," said Caroline, jogging a little to catch up with the defeated Commissioner, who was ambling down the hall towards her office. Dannika was known for her imposing stature, and her confident strides throughout the building, but this was something that was seen little, and it concerned the former monarch who raced to catch up with her counterpart. "There's more to this then just being concerned about allies isn't there?" asked Caroline, giving her a knowing look, when the Internal Affairs Commissioner turned to meet her.

Danni looked at her for a moment, and knew she couldn't lie to the Speaker, and said, in a small voice, "Yes."

Caroline urged the Commissioner into her own office, which they had happened to stop in front of, and sat her down in a chair, then pulled up a chair, and sat down facing her, and held her hands. "This is about Joseph, isn't it?"

Dannika looked awestruck, and opened her mouth a couple times, nothing coming the first few times, before she said, "How did you know?!"

"It's in your military record."

"Not for the Swedish Defense Forces it isn't."

"No, but I was able to get a copy of your standard file from the German Military, I wanted to see who I was working with, you have an impressive combat record. Very commendable. It also mentioned your reason for your early honorable discharge, which appears to be arranged by your commanding officer. A working report had mentioned that you were close to one of your fellow officers," said Caroline, reciting the file as if a vocal dictionary.

"That isn't any of your business," said Dannika in a small voice, looking at Caroline, looking upset. "I was discharged for showing early signs of combat exhaustion," she replied.

Caroline just looked hard at Dannika, knowing she was lying but she wasn't here to make accusations, she just gave the Commissioner a soft gaze, and asked curtly, "Is this about Joseph? Is that why you are concerned about the fate of France?"

Dannika looked at her for a moment, then gave the slightest bit of a nod, but didn't say anything to Caroline, the Speaker just nodding back, and gently squeezed her hands. "I can't help you, Danni, but it is said that many people do crazy things for love, even when that love appears to be gone and done."

Dannika just nodded, and looked down at her lap, tear had begun to form in her eyes, and she didn't want Caroline to see them. She felt her chin being pushed up, as Caroline looked into her eyes, smiling with some concern in her face. "Do what you need to do, I will inform the Secretary General of your absence."

Dannika didn't know what to do when Caroline said that, but she leaned forward and gave the Speaker of the General Assembly a gentle embrace, Caroline gently hugged her in return, and patted her back. Without a word, the Commissioner stood up, and quickly walked out the door, already opening her cell phone. Caroline just watched as the door closed, and smiled warmly as it gently shut.

Gilles listened to the Admiral give him his orders and quickly sent a confirmation back before closing the channel as to allow the Admiral to fight her battle. Turning away from the communications tent he strolled out in a clam fashion before heading for his personal armoured carrier. Unlike the other carrier's this one had been modified to replace its weaponary with command and control equipment allowing him to better lead his forces. Inside he watched as the last few pieces of equipment were destroyed at the base before the troops under his command settled into a convoy and drove out of the base.

At the head of the convoy were two light fighting vehicles who functioned as scouts and behind them would be a battle tank followed by an armoured personal carrier and then either another tank or a truck carrying the squadron's support personal. Everyone ranging from tank crewmen to the support soldiers were on constant watch for any sign of hostile contact, if anyone did attack the squadron they would be facing one hell of a fight.

Everything happened rather quickly in front of Regine and Simone. Their Chinese allies proved to be much more competent that either one of them had thought and the moment the blights had rampaged out of the wall, the blasts from their shotguns tore through their bones and rotten skin, while Ding far behind them made quick work of the two necromancers. However, a gun blast alone would not be enough to take down every single blight and Regine's rapier found its way into cracking through several of the fleshy skulls as they advanced trying to take Simone. The Chairwoman at this point fell completely at the mercy of the Cultists and their magic, the skeleton like creatures were just too much for her fragile and pragmatic mind and as the battlefield cleared with the arms and legs and stench of the dead, Simone was barely conscious, laying on the Admiral's shoulder.

As Ding walked back towards the vanguard, Regine turned to him and nodded thankfully and slumped down with Simone's body. "I underestimated you guys." She glanced over at the two dead necromancers and sighed. "But we need to get out of here as soon as we can." The echoes of the battle in Paris continued above them making it all the more necessary to escape the city and continue their journey south. "You probably know the catacombs better than I do and I'm a Parisian native. But we need to get south of the city. I know that there are cemeteries on the outskirts of Paris which probably aren't well guarded, if guarded at all. I figure you all are coming with us now, we have to get to Pau Castle in the south of the country. There are Commune supporters there who we can rally to the greater cause. Once there, we might be able to take back the country." She looked down at Simone's frightened face. "But I need to protect the Chairwoman at all costs."

"Well then, I think we have ourselves a party." Said Alain smiling.

"What do you say then?" Regine looked up at Ding. "Can you get us there?"

Ding kicked the now limp head of the nercromancer, looking down at its pale face as it lay lifeless on the ground before them. The Cult had always been a nuisance but rarely before had he seen them do this type of thing. It sent a shiver through his spine imagining if this became the modus operandi of the remnant. He looked back towards Regine and the chairwoman and then past them. In his mind he was thinking about the time it would take to overtake them from any direction if someone heard a gun shot.

"We better keep moving." he said. "I need everyone to keep up, and be prepared to move over some pretty rough terrain. Aside from the Chairwoman, I think its fair to say we are all expendable. Nevertheless, I'll do my best to see that everyone gets there." Ding reloaded his ammunition clip as if to make a point about the danger which lay ahead for them. "Lets move out."

The path through the rest of the catacombs was one which seemed to get even more miserable than the first part. They moved through areas which seemed to have meshed with the sewer system, and the air became thick with the smells of waste and mold. As they passed under man hole covers the sounds of bullets flying around above ground echoed through the stone corridors. [i]Oh well at least it keeps the rats away.[/i] Ding thought to himself as they continued down a path.

About two hours later a wall of fresh cool air came bursting into the catacombs and Ding could make out the feint white light of the moon, "Finally." he whispered. As they emerged out of the catacombs into the very early morning air, they came into an enormous cemetary, stepping out of a mausoleum entrance. The lines of graves seemed to go on for miles. As they passed through them, Ding noticed the dates on the tomb stones. 1793, 1793, 1794, 1793, 1794. If the flames of Paris were France's present, this would be its past and once again its future. Even he, not a particularly strong franco-phile felt a tinge of dread at what could be coming. It was something that China too had experienced, it was why he had first come there from Europe. Something would have to put an end to the cyclical violence of revolution and counter revolution.

Noticing the position of the moon in the sky, soon to give way to the sun, he eyed the terrain, fixing on the forest ahead of them. Shrugging off his thoughts of the grave stones he turned once more to the French party, "We need to move through the woods, avoid the main roads. Lets make as much progress as we can at night. If we're in the open during the day and someone finds us, they are going to be throwing tanks and attack helicopters at us. We move light. I know everyone is tired, but we can't stop." he said taking off towards to woods at a fast clip.

Edited by Triyun

[b]SUS [i]Resolute[/i]
[i]Lutzen[/i] Carrier Battle Group (Task Force 14)
Western Approaches to the English Channel[/b]

First Sergeant Ingrid Hamm strode quickly towards the Captain's Office, as she was one of the ground forces residents of the amphibious assault carrier, [i]Resolute[/i], she found it odd to be summoned to the vessel's commander. Usually, ground forces were summoned to their own commanding officers' appropriated guest offices, while they may have been aboard a naval ship, the conduct of the ground forces on the vessel were under the purview of their usual commanding officer. That was, of course, unless they committed an infraction that could have put the ship or its naval complement in danger, highly unlikely to originate with Hamm. The fact that one of her squad sergeants, and on old squadmate of hers, Sergeant Johan Stenbock, was summoned to the Captain's office with her, was also unnerving.

"You sure you didn't do anything Stenbock?" called out Ingrid, as she slid down a railing, followed quickly by her counterpart.

"C'mon mom, I've been on my best behavior," mocked Stenbock, as he slid after her, and stumbled a bit, almost cascading into a bulkhead before quickly regaining his composure and hurrying after her.

"That does not reassure me whatsoever."

"Sorry Sarge, I haven't done squat since we got on this tub almost six months ago," replied Stenbock.

"I highly doubt that."

"Well, I mean, there wa-."

"I don't want to know, Johan," replied Ingrid, cutting him off before he told her something she didn't want to know about. Stenbock might have been a pain in Ingrid's ass, but he was a good soldier, and his behavior, particularly when it came to being a smartass, had been tempered by his promotion to Sergeant. Stenbock was handsome, there was no doubt about that with his bulky athletic physique that had been honed by nearly two years of special operations training and assignments. He had blonde hair and blue eyes and was a charmer, and he had been a frequent pain to Ingrid when she was his sergeant back when Battalion 1120 had been formed. He was always exchanging 'fire' with Erika Mannheim, Ingrid's best friend, and one of the platoon's designated marksmen, or in this case, markswoman.

Ingrid arrived at the door to the Captain's office, and pounded on the heavy door with her fist, a voice calling out inside, "ENTER!"

Ingrid and Stenbock stepped inside the office, which had many more portholes and a much better lighting arrangement then the senior enlisted bunks she had. The desk set in one corner was surrounded by comfy easy chairs, one of which was occupied, and turned towards the door when they entered. The occupant Ingrid recognized immediately to be Dannika Mannerheim, Commissioner of Internal Affairs, dressed in her service tunic, which was uncommon for a sitting Commissioner who was still enlisted in the military. Captain Olaf Thurston was seated behind his heavy oak desk, and stood up when Ingrid and Stenbock stepped in. The duo both snapped to salute and attention, which was quickly returned by Thurston, Mannerheim however, remained where she was, and nodded at the duo when they saluted.

"At ease, Sergeants," nodded Danni, and then looking at the ship's commanding officer. "Thank you for paging them, Olaf, I apologize, but I need to speak to Sergeants Hamm and Stenbock alone."

"Completely understood, Commissioner, I'll be on the bridge if you need me," nodded Thurston, giving a gentle nod to the Sergeants as he stepped, and closed the hatch behind him.

"Have a seat," said Danni, nodding at the two chairs facing her, Ingrid and Stenbock quickly took seats in front of their old companion they had fought with in Gothenburg with. "I apologize for you being brought down here and paged like that, and any embarrassment it may have caused you."

"Its not an issue, ma'am," nodded Ingrid, with a businesslike nod.

"I am not sure if you have been appraised of the situation yet, but currently, there is another revolution that has engulfed France," said Danni, looking at Ingrid, then Stenbock.

"We heard the news over the international reports that come in daily, ma'am," said Stenbock, politely, looking at Ingrid. He turned back to the Commissioner, then said, "There is scuttlebutt around that we are not getting involved."

"The Secretary General," said Danni, taking a sip of a mug, containing what looked like tea, then saying, "Has informed the CIAT that we are to stand down and let things run their course, we are not to interfere."

"By you having us here, I doubt that 1120 is not part of that 'we', ma'am," replied Ingrid, rather ominously, as she looked at the Commissioner with an intent face.

"Sergeant, you worked with me in Gothenburg, your probably one of the best we have in terms of special forces operators, your unit is precise, quiet, and quick. And I need that."

"Thank you for the compliments ma'am, but if the Secretary General is saying we're not getting invol-," started Ingrid.

"I'm not going to lie to you, First Sergeant, and hear me out," interrupted Danni, before saying, "The Commission of Internal Affairs has a high value individual that needs extraction in France currently, and I need an extraction team for an off-the-books operation."

"Black Operation?" said Stenbock, raising an eyebrow.

"Blacker-than-black, Sergeant Stenbock, when we do these types of missions, we don't make after action reports, there is no record of them, they simply don't exist."

Before Stenbock could respond with what was probably going to be a more-witty-than-needed comment, Ingrid piped up, "Where exactly in France is this high value individual?"

"Right now?" asked Danni, looking at Ingrid, then saying simply, "We don't know, but we're going to find out. First Sergeant, I need you to form a four person team, plus yourself, and I want you to accompany me on the extraction. Odds are, we are going to have to do this insertion feet-wet, and extract by way of another nation, or hunkering down."

"Ma'am, is this operation one that was condoned by the Secretary General?" asked Ingrid, looking straight into the Commissioner's eyes.

"That is need to know information, Sergeant, and this is volunteer only," replied Danni, looking straight back into her eyes.

Ingrid stared into the woman's eyes for a moment, then finally said, "I'm in."

Stenbock nodded, "Me too."

Following the Rue Dauphine, the Rue Mazarin and the Boulevard St. Germain, Charlotte and Dalian managed to get to the Rue du Four. Gladly, rebel forces were still in the neighbouring 13[sup]ieme[/sup] arrondissement, but the streets were scarcely populated and if the rebels would break through the lines, they would arrive in no time. For now, it was best to find a way to the Grand Papuan embassy, maybe they had a means of escaping this horror. "Charlotte, you're the trickster here. Why can't we just use one of these cars on the sideways?" Dalian was exhausted. She was so already before, but now, her lungs began to act up and she caughed as her breath made squeezing sounds everytime her chest moved up and down from her lungs expansion and contraction. "Sorry, sadly I never learned how to break up a car." She looked at Dalian. They had ran about 1.8 km now. Not a marathon, but for someone like Dalian, it was hell. "Geez, no other choice left..." Charlotte rolled her eyes and bent down. "I'll carry you. Makes us a bit slower, but better than no movement." "I can go on my own." The Princess was a bit at a loss. Such behaviour was outragious, but Charlotte most likely didn't care anymore. Dalians speech was followed by a full minute of coughing, after which, she decided to accept the offer. But only for 500 metres.

[b]Pont d'Iéna, Paris[/b]

As nighttime fell, the gunshots ebbed to the occasional. The Grand Papua Stoßtruppen had been able to prevent the rebels from entering into the 6th and 7th arrondissements, but just barely. With the heavy armor that was pushing through form the 16th, the Stoßtruppen would have to retreat into the east of [i]Champ de Mars[/i] to consolidate its limited resources. With the loyalist providing extra support, especially the Seventh Armoured Cavalry Squadron supposed to come in from the 16th towards the [i]dame de fer[/i], they might just be able to keep at least this central part of Paris from falling. Whether they actually manage to do so remains to be seen.

[b]Hôtel de la Païva, Paris[/b]

Meanwhile, the rebels had complete control over most of Northern Paris, with small resistance popping here and there. Some kind of special forces seemed to be causing some problems, but they were not a concerning in the big scheme of things However, there was just one small problem.....

The commander of the rebels in Paris had been getting reports of revolver shots being heard throughout the 8th arrondissement. What was special about the shots was that following them, the most hidden snipers were found with bullets in their heads. Just how someone with a revolver out of all things was able to do this was incredible. This was not some kind of sharpshooter's city like old Stalingrad, this was Paris! How did....

He noticed two red lights looking at him from outside the window, in the courtyard. A second later, there was the echoing sound of a revolver firing. The subordinates who came into the room would find their commander on the floor, blood pouring from a hole in his forehead and the blasted back of the head.....

[b]Along Boulevard Raspail[/b]

The death of the Zellist commander caused chains of reactions throughout the rebellion. It was the Imperialists who had been the main force to occupy the capital, but with his death trust had fallen like a deadweight. The next in line, Commander Morel, had to show the other rebel factions that the Zellists were the ones who would claim the most legitimacy. But before that, he needed some help, leading him to contact Vichy with a request.....

At dawn, just as the sun showed its bright face over the horizon, the peace of Paris was broken by shattering explosions. Four Mirage 2000Ds bombed [i]Boulevard Raspail[/i], dropping various laser guided bombs, causing massive damages and shockwaves through the center of the main loyalist resistance area. With the 6th and 7th arrondissements now isolated from each other, it was now the mission of the Zellist forces to push through and end the Battle of Paris.

Edited by Kankou

Charlotte and the Princess just were going along the Rue de Four, as the Mirage's flew over their heads, devastating the Bd. Raspail. Even though the two weren't directly at the scene, Charlottee could guess the destruction caused by the bombs. So she chose to instead go to the South. She knew not why, or how this could help them escape, essentially she was going just in order to go, without a real plan. Just knowing that if she would let it seem that she had no clue, Dalian would be as devastated as Bd. Raspiel. It was already quiet enough on her back, and as Charlotte walked down the Rue Bonaparte, she could hear the Princess sobbing. Well, it certainly was hard enough on her, separated from all things dear, to walk through this revolution, unknowing if she might not just die out here.

Charlotte knew, would she be in Paris alone, she'd most likely have tried to do business with one or more sides. But with Dalian, that was no option. She hated the thought of wasted money or wasted opportunities to make money, still, she somehow did not mind having saved Dalian. The Princess, altough not even a decade younger, was still like a child to her. In her opinion, she surely could be a good person and ruler, all she lacked was the possibility and experience.

Just as she finished this train of thought, she found herself in front of the Palais de Luxembourg. Formerly an important government building, it now was deserted, empty, standing before the burning quartiers in the south.

Pau Castle stood as one of the last testaments of glory to the Zelle Regime. This fortress that stood in the south of Aquitaine had been the premier garrison of the Imperial French Army during the campaigns in unifying the country from the Burgundians along with the wars in Iberia and in Germany. Now, as the small band of travelers approached the castle, Regine took Simone happily by the shoulder and looked up at the high stone walls and guarded towers were the sounds of voices and chattering could be heard from miles away. It was the sign of habitation and more importantly, men and women who were friendly to the cause of the Commune and the cause of a unified France. Inside there would be those who had fled from all corners of France so they could regroup under a central command and push back the rebels now flooding the country. Regine predicted some several thousand men had come to Pau and surely there would be more to come in the following days.

The journey south had been trying, not as bad as the Admiral had first believed. There had been a few highwaymen along the road, but most rebel detachments were still fighting to the north and Aquitaine was firmly entrenched with the Communists. However, while Regine, Ding, and their guards looked healthy and happy to continue the fight, Simone looked weak and she staggered when she walked. She had been part of the first revolution against the Angevins, but the stress of a country had not weighed down her heart as it did now.

"Think, Simone." Regine smiled and pulled her close. "Warm beds and no worry from what may happen in the middle of the night."

"One can only hope." She smiled, "Thank you, Regine. For all you've done." The Chairwoman said and threw her arms around the female officer.

Inside things were starting to look more optimistic with a concentrated army of soldiers and fresh supplies, but still, she had her doubts. France was turning into a wasteland, could a meager army that she now commanded, truly restore order?

That night, Regine invited Ding up to her quarters; in the same room that Adelaide Josselyne, the Grand Master of the Knights of France once stayed. She waited for him at the long oak table in the middle of the room with a fire smoldering in the fireplace. Upon his entering the room, the Admiral stood and looked at the Asian agent clear in the eyes. "Our nations are friendly to each other, Comrade. We have no alliance, but you helped both the Chairwoman and I escape Paris and reach Pau without any major problems. Ding, I want your advice. I don't have the supplies or the manpower to win this war and turning to virtually anyone for help would mean nothing more than a longer loan program that I refuse to support, but I'm trapped. The rebels will come this way soon enough and how long can we defend? What do I do?"

OOC: Sorry this took so long...I will try to stay active from now on.

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Ding made his way through the cold hallways of the Castle. There was something about a castle that always put him uneasy at night. The dark shadows that loomed through it, only illuminated by fire was the perfect site of an ambush. The stoney corridors were from a much more bloody bygone era. He noticed he seemed to be readying his weapon as he moved through the cold hallway, before finally seeing the glow of the fire from Regine's room.

Entering in, he say the admiral having a worried look on her face, listening to her concern he nodded. He had been worried along the journey that the force would not be enough. In fact he was almost sure of it. From what agents he had met with along the journey had said to him enemies were gathering momentum at a rate that he was not really prepared to counter... at least not with this force.

Ding spoke up, a few seconds after she finished, seeming to bounce an idea around in his head, "I see... I understand where you are coming from and to be frank you are probably right." he said. "But I believe help is your only option. In a military conflict where you are severely outnumbered you may only have two bad options, the one where you survive and the one where you do not. It seems to me that the one where you don't is really a road to nowhere. Whereas the other option, the one where you do, at minimum you have a slightly better outcome than dying..." Ding said laughing with a bit of gallows humor.

"You're right but we may not have a formal alliance. But the Horde... may be the best bet to contact. At minimum I would think they'd give you some air cover and perhaps get the Chairwoman to safety. But perhaps more... however I think making a decision quickly would be smart. Its up to you Admiral, but it'll take them at least a day to get here with initial units." Ding warned.

Sighing, Regine fell back into her chair and rubbed her temples. "One starts to think of the entire idea of death before dishonor, but I guess my nation has already been dishonored enough. You know the proper channels in which to prepare a force and if the Horde is willing to aid us in this struggle then..." She closed her eyes and let a few tears run down her cheeks in thinking that she would have to turn to help to defeat an internal enemy. Reaching out for a glass of wine that was sitting on the table, the Admiral struggled to take a sip before violently throwing the glass against the stone wall of the room and pushing her seat away from the table.

"I can already hear the damning words from the rest of the world. We've fallen back down into oblivion and there's nothing we can do to stop it, only slaughter our brothers and sisters in the hope of stability. Every other nation kills those who speak out. Never in my life have I thought that liberty was weak, but I'm not so sure anymore." Regine ran her hands through her red hair and shook her head as she crossed to the fire place. "Aquitaine is our last defense, tell that to your commanders, Ding." Then she raised her head and narrowed her eyes at him. "But if you try to pull something, something like slavery, I'll kill you with my own two hands. Now, leave me. I need to be alone."

"Honor is always something that can be regained in the future... life cannot." Ding said solemnly. "Never the less... I do sympathize with your plight. But fear not, I know the Khagan and the Grand Empress, they aren't the evil people that some make them out to be... I'm kept around for that... except for this little vacation of course." Ding said. "But I promise you, I will see that you get help... and you get it in the form you want it."

Later that evening the transmission of Ding to the Forbidden City was beamed across the world on secure transmission systems.

The Imperial Court of the Horde was keeping track of the situation, but it had been somewhat unclear on the ultimate fate of the Chairwoman till the transmission from Ding had been received. Jia listened carefully to the situation. "I see, you've done well in getting her out, but it appears our worst fears are coming to pass. The revolution cannot survive..." he said.

"Yes... its a very sensitive political situation but the Horde has little choice to intervene... though I do fear the effect of a large number of Asian troops in France. At the same time I don't feel we can produce a decisive outcome with our air power alone... perhaps." Ding said shifting his attention to the Grand Empress, "Perhaps Amazonia and Ehestadt can lend a hand in this fight, your troops will seem less foreign than Mongols and Chinese marching across Europe. We can help on the periphery with special forces, naval power, and air power." he suggested.

Jia turned to Theresia, "I have little problem with this, but your troops took particularly proportionally high losses against Germany, are the Phalanxes prepared?" he asked her.

"They are prepared, yes. But since when did our people become the protectors of the entire world? This revolution, what does it have to do with Asia or my sisters? I understand that we are allies with France, but is this not a problem for France to solve on her own? No one else in the world has decided to involve themselves and the East's entrance into Europe could well bring in Athens and other nations to react, perhaps even Germany." She said with a growl. "So I would ask both of you," Theresia crossed her arms and leaned back on her throne, her thin white robes falling over her body. "My sisters have taken great damage in the last war, thousands died to free Caucuses from German rule. Why should I sacrifice more of their lives, for France?"

Nika, having returned from North America, stood behind Theresia and nodded in return. "We need to know, what we are going to fight for."

Ding frowned, "Heh..." he said.

Jia laughed, "I think you have your answer then..." the Khagan shrugged.

Ding sighed, "I do think though that this is necessary none the less. Please meet with them... though they may not be willing to meet with you. If France falls, it will be much harder to recover it, than to save it."

Ding for the French Admiral to come to the room to meet with the Khagan and the Grand Empress. In the intermediary there was a long period of awkward silence, as they Executor attempted to put together a last minute alliance, one that could turn out to be tacit at best if the Grand Empress and Admiral kept their moods.

Finally the Admiral along with Mao entered into the chambers. "Admiral Regine, Grand Empress Theresia, and vice versa. I'll be blunt here. France will fall to the fascists, an enemy which seems as bad as the Germans, if we don't stop it, who knows how long it will take to recover. None of us can do this without working together. You BOTH are from lands that have already fallen, now Aquitaine stands alone. If it falls... many of us have places to go. But many do not. My mission in France has been one to see that is survives, to see that liberty survives in one corner of Europe. Now I ask both of you, will you fight for that last beacon, before the darkness overtakes everything and many who cannot go to places like Ehestadt are left behind?"

Ding felt a knot in his stomach as he finished it, either he landed the point home, or the French would kill him, or he'd return home to the Empress's pink slip.

[b]Palais du Luxembourg, Paris[/b]

Charlotte held her Heckler & Koch G36 closely as she surveyed the courtyard. With the rebels closing in on the Left Bank pocket, it was really only a matter of time before Paris completely falls. The sky were controlled by the rebellion, and with almost all support cut off, it was just the Grand Papuans, some leftover loyalist forces, and the civilians who were all that stood. She listened to the radio sending out emergency broadcasts from the embassy: "Southern Paris is surrounded by the rebels. Loyalists currently holding off the push into Grand Papuan Embassy. Requesting evacuation assistance" She sighed. This was really hopeless in a way. Even though this broadcast was also being sent back home to Grand Papua and also to the neighboring countries, who would go through the dangers to get them out of this? While the Palace was the center of resistance in the 6th arrondissement, with about a thousand armed troops and rigged with enough mines to make it hard to assault, how are they going to get out of here?

Then she saw familiar faces in front of the building

[b]Unknown location, Grand Papua[/b]

"WHAT?!" The shouting boomed into the ears of the listeners. "The Phoenix is in Paris? Just what was Himmler doing when he went on that merry-go-around trip of his to Asgaard?!"

"Sir, She went off on Her...."

"I don't !@#$@#$ care if it was Himmler's negligence or it was some unforeseen disaster! Use any and all methods to get Her back!"

[b]North Atlantic[/b]

Following orders from the Oberkommando, the IFN Kaga along with a frigate moved north from the Gulf of Guinea towards the Bay of Biscay. It strictly went through international water, making sure to honor the neutrality of Athenian Federation. Prior notice had been given to Athens, ensuring the Federation that it was the sole intention of the carrier fleet to assist in the evacuation of the Grand Papuan embassy in Paris, along with refugees who wished to be safe.

The two women stared at each other through the screen, both nearly silhouetted in their respectable shadows. Neither moved a muscle as they eyed each other up as if they stood inches from the other's nose and as if on cue, both women began to nod. Regine finally spoke first. "If you think I'm going to bow down and give any thanks whatsoever, you can keep your forces. Ding, your man here, has told me however that the Horde and you specifically, Empress, is perhaps the only option that my nation has to save itself from these rebel scum. Paris is in flames and I predict that with the rest of the country firmly in their hands it will only be a matter of time before they turn to 'liberate' Aquitaine."

"And why, my dear girl, would I want to help you?"

The Admiral smirked, "The rebels who have gotten the furthest, do you know where they're from?"

"No. How would I expect to know what the hell is going on in your sniveling little cou-"

"Burgundians, Old Nords specifically, the people who attacked your nation - twice. Think of this as an invitation to kill people that will probably just give the rest of France to Hethnamark or Germany. I'm not saying you have to like me and I don't care if you like France. There are a bunch of other people from other nations who I've seen wandering the streets of Paris and who have something to gain from what happens in the next few months. To tell you the truth, I don't want you in my country but I don't have any other choice and honestly, well, maybe you and I have really been fighting the same enemy all our lives."

Theresia narrowed her eyes and leaned back on her throne for a moment as she tapped her fingers on the arm rest. "And if I would decide to help you. What happens after? What do I tell my sisters who give their lives on your soil for your war?"

"If you help us and honor us, you'll be the best friend France has ever had and I'm not a woman to throw my trust away once you've earned it. I'm just naturally suspicious, surely you understand that."

"I prefer it." Theresia nodded and smiled. "Expect us soon, cousin."

---

The first of the Amazon Phalanxes would arrive in a week's time after being rushed through deployment and embarkation. They would arrive nearly just in time for as the first Amazon transport ships were sighted on the Biscay horizon, the border defenses of Aquitaine began to break down...

After the two women left, Ding resumed the transmission with Jia. The Khagan had a bit of a smile on his face as Ding looked at him noticing he had acquired a bit of a shiner. "I see you got yourself into a fight." Ding said.

"Indeed... in Europe in fact. I had fun last week, I may go back." the Imperator said. "Executor, it would appear things are moving. I've dispatched two fleets to the fight, they will be escorting Theresia's forces, I will be coming as well. These annoyances if you want to call them... they always seem to be striking from the shadows, as if there is some central hub where they congregate and pop out... I am tired of playing wack a mole."

Jia's eyes narrowed as he paused, "Keep your eyes out on this mission. If the source of those annoyances is bold here, I'd like to see their heads."

Ding nodded, "Understood."

"I am hereby reinstating you as full Executor. I expect you to lead our armies to success here." Jia said terminating the transmission.

Ding looked around at the surroundings before shaking his head. He poured himself a glass of brandy and went to think, there was work to be done.

In the coming week a huge surge in Horde power had arrived as the Atlantic Mobile Off Shore base had been redeployed to the area alongside two carriers and their escorts, four amphibious assault ships, and three groups of attack subs. Additionally overhead flights from Fort Beihai and Caucasia were strengthening the rear area supply bases and ferrying Amazonian Phalanxes to offshore staging points where they would prepare for battle.

The Imperial Family had been transported quietly to the massive carrier [i]Sun Yat-Sen[/i] which sailed through the waves of the North Atlantic. As they landed Jia took in the sea air, "Nothing like a carrier before battle." he said saluting the captain as he disembarked.

As they arrived at the Palais, the 500 meters were over some time ago. Dalian was still squeezing, but still she insisted on walking on her own, instead of being carried around. So, Charlotte let her down. The Comtesse looked at the Palais, then they went to the entrance. Taking out her HS2000, she tried to open the door, ready to fire, should she encounter anenemy. Dalian, meanwhile, was winked to wait behind the corner, as it was not without danger.

It was a glorious sight from the hills above Brive-la-Gaillarde as while the border guards of Aquitaine retreated to the hills their lines were swelled by fresh Communist soldiers and the Horse Banner of the Amazons flew gallantly across the fields. Regine found the entire affair nearly impossible as some fifty thousand women of every nationality from the Pacific to the Atlantic charging forward, their ceremonial spears glistening in the sun. By this time the make up of France was a maelstrom of various factions divided against themselves and with the new reinforcements it would appear that the Communists once again had a chance to claim victory. However, the problems of allowing the Hapsburg Empress with her warrior women from the East onto the shores of France still left a clawing feeling running down Regine's heart. She was sure that at the end of this conflict, if she came out victorious, the country and perhaps the world would not accept her rule and if she was going to hold power it would have to be through dread and force.

With the thundering of artillery and the streak of planes in the sky, the admiral stroked the mane of her horse and listened to a bit of chatter and hooves heading up to her position. Theresia von Hapsburg always kept a small entourage around her person as she rode next to where the French commander looked over the field.

"Well, Admiral Avenier? What do you think? Are you impressed at what my sisters are capable of?" She smiled and pointed her baton at the fields in front of them as the rebel forces were pushed away from the borders of Aquitaine. "Though getting to Paris and the rest of the country will not be as easy as defending what you've already held. You've said popular support may be a problem and I'm well aware that foreign troops to crush a rebellion is not the best way to handle internal affairs."

"You're preaching to the choir, Madame von Hapsburg. Though I do appreciate your help in this manner if I didn't show it before. But your concerns have been weighing heavily on my mind for a long time. Even since you arrived."

"It gives the entire ordeal a rather Royalist feel, don't you think?"

"Too much, far too much for my comfort."

Theresia laughed and wrapped the reins of her horse tightly around her hand. "Come now, its just an ideology. Royalism, Communism, all of these words all mean the same thing. The ability to give peace and prosperity to a nation while enacting law and order."

Regine turned over and smirked at the Empress, "It's funny you saying this. Take no offense, but didn't your nation collapse to the Nords?"

"It did, which is why I've taken to a new mode of life. A bit more barbaric, take what you want, kill who opposes you, and enjoy company until you perish and that's what we're going to do with these rebels. Though if you don't mind, Admiral, I have a few plans I would like to discuss with you at a later time, whether we are successful or not."

"Which would be?"

"The future of France and the future of Eurasia."

The Empress laughed and spurred her horse down the hillside towards the lines as the Amazon forces continued to surge forward.

As the Amazonians Advanced, Jia's forces had remained in the rear area waiting for their chance. He had assembled a combination of rangers, imperial guards, and the Imperial Knights to act as a silver bullet force with him encase there was something more behind this than had just been seen so far. It was strange the Nords were able to gather support so fast.

Jia sat in a tent with Ding going over progress on the front.

"The Amazonians have forced them back and are marching towards the North... I have to admit its impressive." Ding said to Jia.

Jia looked at him and nodded, "Indeed. But the shadows have not yet revealed themselves..." Jia said as he sat back in his chair in the tent. He looked at the piece of armor on his knee, still slightly damaged, a replacement part was due in the next couple of days.

"Give it time, our fleet is almost fully in position." Ding said.

"Right." Jia got up leaving the tent to find his horse. The black horse and he over time had become somewhat friendlier, and he had even managed to become a decent rider. It did not seem to care for the climates of Europe though, obviously aware it was away from the Steppe of Central Asia.

"Where is Theresia's entourage?" he asked one of the soldiers. "Twenty kilometers ahead."

Jia turned to Ryu, Rhee, and Ding, "Lets move out, perhaps as we head North into the Lion's Den we can find some answers." he said.

The four riders headed off North through the heavily wooded mountains of Central France, with the light around them obscured by the trees. Jia smiled as he looked through, it seemed as if they were almost in a fairy tale playing knights of the round table. He half expected for some sort of witch to come out of the woods and curse them.

Jane had eschewed the war-horses of her Sisters, riding a mid-sized, powerful offroad motorcycle developed for Rangers in the Imperial Army. She rather disliked being here, fighting [i]for[/i] the Communists rather than against them, but she took her orders and ran with them. Speaking of which...

She cranked the handle on the motorcycle, tearing off after Theresia, thumbing the control next to the brake, the snubby snout of a mortar's barrel poking out from the large pair of saddlebag-esque containers attached to the back of the bike, sending long-ranged, breach-loaded 81mm shells into the enemies of the Amazons (and, of course, the Commune).

~~~~~

Pauline had recovered, though it had taken a long while. So it was that she came to be sitting in a safehouse in Paris, a large number of her contingent holding two blocks of the city, wondering about her next move. Her first inclination was to seek out the Chairwoman, whom she had so nearly missed. An armory raid had provided a pair of ancient rocket artillery pieces - probably Second Great War Katyusha launchers, salvaged by some Free French infantryman. Some of her brighter tinkerers were beginning to provide rockets for it to launch, at long last, and she listened to the radio reports of her fellow Fascists nightly for any sign of the Chairwoman, cleaning and checking her rifle for something to do, as an uneasy truce had developed between they and their nearest enemies, a band of Imperialists, provided her band with a brief respite to rest and reprovision.

But that was to end soon, as supplies were gained and stashed throughout the city for their next offensive.

[b]Palais du Luxembourg, Paris[/b]

The main entrance opened to reveal Charlotte Dunois, looking at her doppelgänger slightly sheepishly. "I guess you never managed to leave." She motioned them to come in quickly. As the two former Vicidalians cautiously started entering, an explostion erupted near the entrance, pushing the three into a heap inside the building. Dunois got up to see that Dalian was unconsious. "Char, pick her up and go! She might have a serious concussion!" She aimed her G36 and started firing bursts at the incoming rebel soldiers.

[b]IFN Kaga, Off the Coast of Brittany[/b]

The massive fleet coming from the Caribbean had been sending alarm signals for the past few days. What were those meddling Chinese doing now in [i]Europe[/i]. The captain shivered at what they might do, but for now, that was not a real concern.... He looked at the map, deciding on which airport to focus on for the evacuation.

Target: Paris-Orly Airport

Charlotte did as advised. Better to get Dalian out of such a war-like atmosphere. It really was a pity how the Princess had to get through Vicidalia, and now Paris, hopefully she would find rest soon, Charlotte had already made some preparations for it.

"May I ask what you are planning? Or...do we even have a plan?" she asked her mirror-image, as she picked up the unconcious Princess.

[b]Paris[/b]

The front was in chaos. With the landing of the Horde and the air strikes from the Grand Papuan carrier, the rebellion as a whole was crumbling. Communications with Vichy, where most of the resources were centralized, were severed, and Paris was isolated. Not quite completely, but there was only the German borderlands to fall back on, and that was not much. The current rebel commander was at his wit's end, and was trying to meditate plans alone in his room at [i]Palais de l'Élysée[/i] when he heard a commotion outside. He went to the window and was about to look out when the sound of .357 bullets going off five times rang. He concealed himself, only to have a grenade break through the glass and fall into the room. He instinctively reacted by turning to the window, when he saw someone looking at him from a distance, pointing a black revolver at him.

[center][IMG]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/kousenkankou/Characters/phoenix.png[/IMG][/center]
"Sayonara."

[i]Boom[/i]

The red eyes were the last thing he saw before his head exploded.