Rate the War Ability

Micheal Malone

Rate the Top 40 alliances based on their war ability. Feel free to sustain your opinions with facts or fiction as you see fit.

[quote]
Green Protection Agency
World Task Force
Independent Republic Of Orange Nations
Umbrella
Orange Defense Network
New Pacific Order
Mostly Harmless Alliance
Non Grata
Sparta
Global Alliance And Treaty Organization
Viridian Entente
The Order Of The Paradox
Mushroom Kingdom
The Last Remnants
New Polar Order
Nordreich
The Democratic Order
The Legion
FOK
RnR
The Phoenix Federation
Fark
NATO
Nusantara Elite Warriors
The Templar Knights
Ragnarok
Valhalla
Goon Order Of Oppression Negligence And Sadism
Deinos
Legacy
Argent
Multicolored Cross-X Alliance
The Foreign Division
Green Old Party
The Grand Lodge Of Freemasons
LoSS
Fellowship Of Elite Allied Republics
The International
The Imperial Order
Coalition Of Royal Allied Powers[/quote]

Do it, entertain me.

Edited by Micheal Malone

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternatively, what about rating alliances that one has fought against? Otherwise it just turns into a way to fluff one's allies, and while most people are liable to say that all of their opponents were terrible, there might be something worthwhile in the degree of terribleness assigned. Maybe.

Elite: Umbrella, Nordreich, Valhalla

Good: Independent Republic Of Orange Nations, Non Grata, Viridian Entente, The Order Of The Paradox, Mushroom Kingdom, The Last Remnants, FOK, RnR, The Phoenix Federation, Nusantara Elite Warriors, Ragnarok, Goon Order Of Oppression Negligence And Sadism

Fair: Orange Defense Network, New Pacific Order, Mostly Harmless Alliance, New Polar Order, The Legion, Fark, NATO, Multicolored Cross-X Alliance, Green Old Party, The Grand Lodge Of Freemasons, LoSS

Poor: Green Protection Agency, Sparta, Global Alliance And Treaty Organization

No Opinion: World Task Force, The Democratic Order, The Templar Knights, Deinos, Legacy, Argent, The Foreign Division, Fellowship Of Elite Allied Republics, The International, The Imperial Order, Coalition Of Royal Allied Powers

[quote name='Schad' timestamp='1325921743' post='2894630']
Alternatively, what about rating alliances that one has fought against? Otherwise it just turns into a way to fluff one's allies, and while most people are liable to say that all of their opponents were terrible, there might be something worthwhile in the degree of terribleness assigned. Maybe.
[/quote]
This is a good idea, I think, now that we're out of war. I'd start the thread myself but GOD's been... discouraged from making threads after that last... incident.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1325923026' post='2894646']

Good: Independent Republic Of Orange Nations, Non Grata, Viridian Entente, The Order Of The Paradox, Mushroom Kingdom, The Last Remnants, FOK, RnR, The Phoenix Federation, Nusantara Elite Warriors, Ragnarok, Goon Order Of Oppression Negligence And Sadism

Fair: Orange Defense Network, New Pacific Order, Mostly Harmless Alliance, New Polar Order, The Legion, Fark, NATO, Multicolored Cross-X Alliance, Green Old Party, The Grand Lodge Of Freemasons, LoSS

No Opinion: World Task Force, The Democratic Order, The Templar Knights, Deinos, Legacy, Argent, The Foreign Division, Fellowship Of Elite Allied Republics, The International, The Imperial Order, Coalition Of Royal Allied Powers
[/quote]
While I wouldn't necessarily agree with everything here, I have to commend someone for actually rising to the challenge. Most of it's not bad, too.

Since Schad brought up the "your opponents" thing: GOD was tougher than UBD, and the latter no longer exists. Wow, that was boring...

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1325923026' post='2894646']

[/quote]

i would put NEW as an Elite War alliance, seeing as you see none of alot of the members during peacetime, and all of a sudden war appears and they pretty much take on anything.

Green Protection Agency - 3
World Task Force - ?
Independent Republic Of Orange Nations - 7 (Have not fought against them directly)
Umbrella - 7 (Have not fought with or against them directly)
Orange Defense Network - 7 (Have not fought against them directly)
New Pacific Order - 7 (Have not fought against them directly)
Mostly Harmless Alliance - 2 (source: ASR)
Non Grata - 9
Sparta - 4 (normally decent but they are hiding in PM)
Global Alliance And Treaty Organization - 4
Viridian Entente - 8 Having fought alongside with them, they are pretty good.
The Order Of The Paradox - 9 toughest nut to crack of all the alliances I fought
Mushroom Kingdom - 9 Strong active fighters.
The Last Remnants - 8 Better than expected
New Polar Order - 2 Crappier fighters than GPA. Fought them 3 times already.
Nordreich - 7 Good fighters but a lit disappointing in this war
The Democratic Order - 1 Might be worse than Polar
The Legion - 3
FOK - 8 Always perform well
RnR - 3 Paper tiger.
The Phoenix Federation - 6
Fark - 2 Not what I expected
NATO - dunno
Nusantara Elite Warriors - 8
The Templar Knights - 4
Ragnarok - 2
Valhalla - 7
Goon Order Of Oppression Negligence And Sadism - 7
Deinos - X
Legacy - 3
Argent - 7
Multicolored Cross-X Alliance - 2 Always performs awfully
The Foreign Division - X
Green Old Party - probably !@#$
The Grand Lodge Of Freemasons - 4
LoSS - 4
Fellowship Of Elite Allied Republics - 4
The International - 4
The Imperial Order - 5
Coalition Of Royal Allied Powers - X

[quote name='Schad' timestamp='1325921743' post='2894630']
[/quote]

I thought about that, but then no matter what type of "rating" thread goes up, there is always going to be a degree of fluffage one way or the other.. Just like every poll thread that goes up, or the awards threads. However, in this instance, I decided I'd see if the community as a whole could have a discussion about war-ability etc. Because no matter how you slice it, in ever thread full of fluffage there are always nuggets of truth to be gleaned.

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1325933521' post='2894709']
Fark - 2 Not what I expected
[/quote]

In Fark's defense, they got dogpiled before they had any significant number in peacemode. IRON's had a bad reputation as fighters in the past for the same reason, when it was really just a numbers game that we lost. Fark just finds themself in that position this war.

As far as my own ratings go, these are heavily weighted towards performance in this war, and not necessarily "enough" weight given to the histories of war in each alliance.

Green Protection Agency - No opinion. It's been too long since war for a decent rating on these guys.
World Task Force - Again, no opinion. Not aware of any wars they've been in.
Independent Republic Of Orange Nations - Not voting, alliance bias.
Umbrella - 8, but some of that is simply through having played politics and nation-building very efficiently so that there is no longer any top tier that can stand against them alone. Without that, I'm not sure there's an appropriate measure since they haven't had any real testing this war (so far as I know)
Orange Defense Network - 6. The fight against MHA seemed a little lopsided, but not to the degree most wars are. I don't have a good measure otherwise to judge this.
New Pacific Order - 7. This number is given largely for the nation retention held in this war.
Mostly Harmless Alliance - 1. Sorry guys, but this war hit you hard, and your fall shows that.
Non Grata - 8. You guys jumped in on Fark standing to take the most damage of anyone fighting them with the possible exception of NPO. Fark, though outnumbered, has taken impressive amounts of hurt.
Sparta - 5. Agreeing with Kriek, in that there's a few too many hippies here. That said, it's a legitimate strategy, and every losing side in the history of everything has used this (except for Fark this war). If I were to reconsider this later, I might change it if (for instance) Sparta's top tier were instructed to come out for a round or two of war.
Global Alliance And Treaty Organization - 6. The only good judge I have presently is the fight with MHA, and given size, you appear to have done comparable damage with ODN.
Viridian Entente - 5. No good judge, since the winds of war sent you against much smaller alliances.
The Order Of The Paradox - 9. This is probably biased, given that they're allies, but every single nation that comes out of PM in Polar that is in TOP range is taken and knocked so far down so quickly that I don't get a chance to declare, even if they were initially above my nation strength.
Mushroom Kingdom - 6. Same reasons as with ODN and GATO.
The Last Remnants - 7. Stood to lose a lot going in against Fark, though the eventual total of numbers proved otherwise.
New Polar Order - 2. Not as bad as MHA, I don't think, but you guys got locked down really quickly in the upper ranges.
Nordreich - 7. It may not have been at huge risk, but you guys did declare on more than one alliance of relatively large size, which quite a few alliances did not do this war.
The Democratic Order - Can't say, there's been no war. In the past, I might have ranked them absolute bottom because of the influx of war refugees, but that didn't appear to happen this time.
The Legion - Based on the NSO war, perhaps a 4? I'm not really sure. Nothing for this war.
FOK - 7. It seemed pretty clear to me that there was a very clear goal going into war, and the speed at which you accomplished that goal is worth commending.
RnR - 4. Going by general SF losses, not too well. Going by RnR's wars, a little better.
The Phoenix Federation - 6. No real opinion, but we generally hear about bad fighters and I haven't heard anything this war.
Fark - 4, despite my reasoning above. I wouldn't rate so low as a 2 as I imagine that against an evenly matched opponent statistically, Fark would do fairly well, but this war turned against them.
NATO - 6? Fighting against FAN, I guess. As with TPF, no real opinion.
Nusantara Elite Warriors - 8. Jumped right in the thick of things and is still fighting.
The Templar Knights - Not going to rate this one, as their war almost didn't happen at all.
Ragnarok - 6. Led a successful campaign against CSN.
Valhalla - 8, same reason as with NEW.
Goon Order Of Oppression Negligence And Sadism - 7. Willing to declare across multiple alliances to help out always helps.
Deinos - Kudos for growth, but no rating from me in this thread for that.
Legacy - 6, with RoK.
Argent - 8. As the third alliance (in strength) on this list to declare on Sparta, the effort was there, and Sparta hasn't exactly prospered this war.
Multicolored Cross-X Alliance - 3 for not losing too many members this war.
The Foreign Division - Didn't fight, no number.
Green Old Party - N/A
The Grand Lodge Of Freemasons - 6. Helpful against the STA.
LoSS - 5. Lost a fair amount in the SF front, but seemed to deal out lots of damage, too.
Fellowship Of Elite Allied Republics - 7. Deliberate bloc versus bloc warfare seems like a cool idea.
The International - 5. Declared up in strength, though with lots of allies.
The Imperial Order - 6. Props here for wedging between Sparta and Fark, even though both are occupied.
Coalition Of Royal Allied Powers - Didn't fight.

We've only fought Sparta this war and apart from a few exceptions they all either hid in peace mode or completely failed to fight back effectively. Even the two that I was fighting stopped bothering on about day 6, although they started with good coordination and were doing well.

I'd give them a pretty low mark, 3 or so, on an alliance scale.

Other than that I'd have to go back to fighting Polar with VE. The first time they were actually not bad in the mid tier, and being pitted against TOP this time is not going to show them in a particularly good light (TOP is very good at war). I'd give them a 5 which seems to be more generous than most people.

No-one else I really have enough information to offer a score on.

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1325933521' post='2894709']
Nordreich - 7 Good fighters but a lit disappointing in this war
[/quote]

if you don't mind me asking, what did you find disappointing about our last war performance?
everything went pretty smooth IMO

[quote name='Lord Caparo' timestamp='1325933159' post='2894708']
i would put NEW as an Elite War alliance, seeing as you see none of alot of the members during peacetime, and all of a sudden war appears and they pretty much take on anything.
[/quote]

I will always remember during the Karma war, when I happened to browse through NEW (who was tied up in a nuclear war at the time) literally every nation on their first page of 40 had max soldiers/tanks. I'm not sure if they were all just super active or what, but it was insane to see so many of their nations actively fighting in a war.

[quote name='Exige' timestamp='1325944887' post='2894755']
if you don't mind me asking, what did you find disappointing about our last war performance?
everything went pretty smooth IMO
[/quote]

The fact that your upper tier didn't hit enough targets (like we asked them to, to share the load of FARK's top tier) and the fact that after week1 there were hardly any new wars on NoR. I think the amount of wars from NoR on FARK can/could be counted on 3 hands.

[quote name='Lord Caparo' timestamp='1325933159' post='2894708']
[/quote]

I actually considered putting NEW in the elite class, and indeed you could make an argument for it.

When rating an alliance's war ability, you have to consider:

1. [b]The skill exhibited by individual members[/b] (initiative, knowledge of the combat mechanics, tactical judgment)
2. [b]The skill exhibited by the military command structure[/b] (solid subordinate command leadership, ability to adapt to changes on the battlefield and put plans into action)
4. [b]The demonstrated ability of the supreme military command[/b] (creation of communications and command structure that survives the test of combat, advocacy for military preparedness, ability to see "the whole battlefield" and the implications of actions taking place outside the narrow front of the alliance, contingency planning at the strategic level, ability to organize, prepare, and coordinate within the alliance and with other alliances)
3. [b]Effective use of the military by the those in charge of the alliance[/b] (putting their people in positions to win rather than get mauled and run off the battlefield..."diplomacy is war by other means", institution of programs to promote the purchase of military improvements/wonders, technology and other things that influence combat, mandatory realistic warchests, effective communication of current events that have military implications to general membership)

Any idiot can raid. Any fool can point a sword and all the fools that follow him/her charge blindly in the general direction of the enemy. True war ability goes beyond that.